Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

sharknado slashfic posted:

The last time I read this thread was in 2013

The last time I read this thread was in 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I know the casques are long gone and the Boston guy in that Expedition Unknown episode was probably the last person to claim a reward, but every time this thread gets bumped it still gets me a little excited.

Eastcoast74
Apr 16, 2024
Have shared this around with most sites concerning the hunt but just finding out this forum still exists. Its a link to reddit post with short walk through and images/maps.

Simple solution for Milwaukee just like everyone thought it should be but uses different verse and park. I don't agree with locations or pairings and decided to take on the newly acquired Japanese hints and believe I figured out the way to match based on clue using numbers in paintings/verses.

I was really hoping to see someone from king park community/surrounding area or some local youth group take this on. I have shared with several local groups/individuals since 2020 so figure its now fair game for anyone willing.

Anyone questions just ask
https://www.reddit.com/r/TreasureHunting/comments/oyjcmg/the_secret_a_treasure_hunt_milwaukee_king_park/?onetap_auto=true&one_tap=true

Sociable

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

If you’ve been on this for 4 years, why are you contacting local youth groups and not searching yourself?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Flowers for QAnon posted:

If you’ve been on this for 4 years, why are you contacting local youth groups and not searching yourself?

Broken wrists most likely

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Now the Japanese are getting involved?

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
Man I didn't know this thread existed, clicked on it, realized what it was, got all psyched, and then skipped to the end hoping more casks were found since I first found out about it. I found out about the book via YouTube and now I'm trying to backtrack to figure out which ones are even findable theoretically at the moment. Hell yeah.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Eastcoast74 posted:

Have shared this around with most sites concerning the hunt but just finding out this forum still exists. Its a link to reddit post with short walk through and images/maps.

Simple solution for Milwaukee just like everyone thought it should be but uses different verse and park. I don't agree with locations or pairings and decided to take on the newly acquired Japanese hints

The what?

Bro this is probably when you should've stopped typing. It's been said hundreds of times now that Preiss wasn't a genius at making clues. I highly doubt he tried to incorporate anything Japanese in any of these hunts. This book came out in loving 1982 and hardly anyone reading it could've cracked that kinda poo poo back then.

curlingiron
Dec 15, 2006

b l o o p

I. M. Gei posted:

The what?

Bro this is probably when you should've stopped typing. It's been said hundreds of times now that Preiss wasn't a genius at making clues. I highly doubt he tried to incorporate anything Japanese in any of these hunts. This book came out in loving 1982 and hardly anyone reading it could've cracked that kinda poo poo back then.

I assume (after the most cursory possible google search) that they're referring to the hints incorporated in the Japanese edition of the book. Preiss apparently was in contact with the translator, who asked for hints during a phone call.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

I. M. Gei posted:

The what?

We're going to solve it.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

curlingiron posted:

I assume (after the most cursory possible google search) that they're referring to the hints incorporated in the Japanese edition of the book. Preiss apparently was in contact with the translator, who asked for hints during a phone call.

......... oh

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
lmfao priess' ability to exceed all reasonable expectations continues to amaze

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

poo poo I didn't think there even *was* a Japanese translation. Why would a Japanese person in the early 80's give a gently caress about an American treasure hunt?

Did Preiss really translate that poo poo for other countries thinking anyone would actually come to America to look for his boxes in 1982? Or did the translations get made later than that?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
There is no treasure to find, it's all fake and you've been had. Want to prove me wrong? Find the treasure :smug:

Now you're motivated!

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
Did a quick Google, the Japanese edition came out a year after the original American one. Looks like it was published by Bantam, who's a Big 5 subsidiary, so it's likely if the book did really well, Bantam was like "what other markets can we launch this on? We already own it!". If you were really tenacious you could probably ask the localization team who worked at Bantam/Futami-shobo (the Japanese imprint) what the hints were I guess!

I'm helping in my limited capacity! :shobon:

edit: gramarye

curlingiron
Dec 15, 2006

b l o o p

Lieutenant Dan posted:

Did a quick Google, the Japanese edition came out a year after the original American one. Looks like it was published by Bantam, who's a Big 5 subsidiary, so it's likely if the book did really well, Bantam was like "what other markets can we launch this on? We already own it!". If you were really tenacious you could probably ask the localization team who worked at Bantam/Futami-shobo (the Japanese imprint) what the hints were I guess!

I'm helping in my limited capacity! :shobon:

edit: gramarye

It looks like there's a pdf of the English translation online, although it's obviously not official. It also sounds like some of the hint section was just the (Japanese) translator speculating on what Preiss meant by them, so who knows how accurate any of it is.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I. M. Gei posted:

Why would a Japanese person in the early 80's give a gently caress about an American treasure hunt?

As a kid in the US my friends and I were fairly obsessed with Masquerade even though chances were the treasure was in England.

But Masquerade had actual good art, this book is a little corny and I wouldn’t buy it just to look at the pictures.

TEAM KIT WILLIAMS 4 LYFE

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!
Treasure hunts are cool as hell no matter what country you're in. Even if there's no chance of traveling to whatever place I'd still like to try cracking the clues

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
How has this thread been going for over 10 years and we’re only hearing of the Japanese version now?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

RatHat posted:

How has this thread been going for over 10 years and we’re only hearing of the Japanese version now?

The Japanese version was censored

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

The Japanese version was censored

they pixelated the stones

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

RatHat posted:

Someone didn’t listen to the podcast

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

you talkin' to me Sheriff?

oh... I thought you was talkin' to me.

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS
switching... the "tried and true" verse/picture combos? I don't know... is that something that seems truly viable? Could be... could be...

The wiki that I used to go to doesn't even acknowledge the Boston find so... there's clearly animosity in these circles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

RatHat posted:

There was a lot of talk about it in 2018, how quickly we forget :smith:

Merlot Brougham posted:

So the Japanese translation is kind of a big deal. I was going to let fellow goon GoldenFuckingGate post about it if so inclined, but here's a real quick rundown (I fully encourage those in the know to chime in and correct me if anything below is misleading):

There was a Japanese edition of the book. Some of the references and quotes/idioms/whatnot in the English version of the book obviously don't compute if literally translated to Japanese. Therefore, Byron Preiss spent some time on the phone with someone involved in the Japanese translation of the book. The Japanese version not only contains additional explanations on particulars from the verses, but seems to also key us in on what specific lines may or may not be important to the solve. The translation also solidified what the actual clues in the verses for the two solved casks meant. Basically, we get a list of keywords in the verse, and a little nudge in the right direction on certain items. Anyway, here are the verses in the Japanese version.

Here is a full audio translation from burnstyle:

http://12treasures.com/finaltranslation.mp3

Here's a write up of the important bits of the Japanese translation:

E- quoted a different post

Snowy fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Apr 18, 2024