Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

Mutation posted:

We need to talk more about the loving horse in Bring the Sun. There's a loving horse in Bring the Sun!

I literally smelt horse when I heard that horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

Got a Michael Gira tattoo today. Now my swans obsession is permanent.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Quantum of Phallus posted:

They recorded that horse specifically for the track, there's a good recent interview on p4K with Gira.
I heard the clip clop and immediately thought "There's no way these are stock horse noises. They probably got a horse just for this album."

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Beyond sane knolls posted:

Listening to Swans' discography in reverse sounds like the ultimate recipe for a several-week long depression to me. Like a recommendation I'd make as a sick joke on someone.

So yeah, Rageaholic, I'll be wantin' a trip report asap.

Listening in reverse would ease one into the brutal early stuff, gently caress that, if this is your first intro to the band, jump right into Cop/Greed/Holy Money or the Young God EP and tell us what you think.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

kirkjames posted:

That turned out really well, congrats!

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Been spinning To Be Kind a lot the past couple weeks and I'm pretty sure Screen Shot is my favourite thing they've ever done. Gira is a production god. My favourite record of theirs was always The Great Annihilator but I'm not so sure about that anymore.

kirkjames posted:

Awww yeah. I'm planning on getting the same design over my heart soon :)

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Been meaning to dive into this band for a long time but never did, came upon this thread (a bit late to the party) and have recently been working my way through Filth, Cop and Greed. It's an enjoyable slog but I'm also definitely looking forward to reaching the new albums that you folks sound so keen on.

Also I saw Built to Spill at Music Hall of Williamsburg the other night and learned that I had missed Swans the night before. Dangit!

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Bigup DJ posted:

I literally smelt horse when I heard that horse.
Yeah, same with the carpentry part of the song. You can smell the wood dust in the air, man.

Hidden Mother
Nov 12, 2012
Listening to Soundtracks For The Blind for the first time in years and, my word, I'd forgotten how strange it is, even (or perhaps especially) coming from Swans. I'm still not entirely sure whether I really enjoy it or not but it's definitely got a really weird, dark atmosphere that's absolutely like nothing else I've ever heard.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I still haven't started my reverse Swans journey yet, but I will. I have The Seer, I just need to prepare myself to listen to it. If that's even possible...

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

Hidden Mother posted:

Listening to Soundtracks For The Blind for the first time in years and, my word, I'd forgotten how strange it is, even (or perhaps especially) coming from Swans. I'm still not entirely sure whether I really enjoy it or not but it's definitely got a really weird, dark atmosphere that's absolutely like nothing else I've ever heard.

As far as I'm aware a stranger album has never been made. I'm welcome to contenders though.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I still haven't started my reverse Swans journey yet, but I will. I have The Seer, I just need to prepare myself to listen to it. If that's even possible...

Michael Gira would probably suggest climbing in a sweat lodge and punching yourself in the face repeatedly first.

Skittle Wood
Dec 10, 2005

Found the Burning World at Amoeba in SF for $12 so I'm pretty excited to finally give it a listen after going through most of the readily available albums.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

Skittle Wood posted:

Found the Burning World at Amoeba in SF for $12 so I'm pretty excited to finally give it a listen after going through most of the readily available albums.

Its similar in tone to the first two Angels of Light records. It's kinda melodramatic folk music. Worth it for the final song, which is a classic.

edit: Also digital reverb. Everything has poo poo tons of digital reverb on it.

God Of Paradise fucked around with this message at 10:56 on May 24, 2014

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Skittle Wood posted:

Gira himself said he hates that album.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Gira himself said he hates that album.

They sound like the loving Crash Test Dummies on that album.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Burning World is the only Swans album I've never listened to more than once.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

She's A Universal Emptiness is a good song :shobon:

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Gira just sounds bored for the entire album.

Michael Gira posted:

I abhor that record. Bill Laswell is a very good producer, but we didn't mesh well. I was intimidated and sang in this cramped, monotone way. It didn't sell, and we got dropped.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Speaking of Gira saying things, does anyone have that interview where he talks about the goat killing/blood orgy thing?

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Mutation posted:

Speaking of Gira saying things, does anyone have that interview where he talks about the goat killing/blood orgy thing?

This surprises me only a little bit.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
There are some good songs on The Burning World. The first song is pretty good, and Jane Mary Cry One Tear I always liked. Also, there's a Steve Winwood cover.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

Mutation posted:

No, but I remember reading about some house party thing he went to where he wound up meeting some chick for the first time and then loving her in front of an audience, very Eyes Wide Shut.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

Cymbal Monkey posted:

This is an excellent post and I agree with all of it. My recommendation is actually to work through their discography backwards, and slowly. Really digest every album, listen four or five times at least, which I know is a ten hour time synch for three albums, but it's worth it, there's so much there that you'll miss your first time through. Swans, in my experience, get more challanging as you move backwards, broadly (The Great Annihilator being the biggest exception I can think of, being almost acceptable to put on in polite company). I love Swans but I've never managed to get into Holy Money and before.

I disagree. I think it's best to begin at the beginning and listen to how the band progressed from the start, because what comes in the late-middle and since the revival is both a reaction against and an embracing of elements of the early stuff. It may be tough to understand now if you're just getting into them, or if you're in the younger crowd, but Swans are so influential that you really have to hear the early poo poo to hear how much is built on top of it. Like as much as I love Godflesh, their early work blatantly rips off old Swans. Is it challenging stuff? Sure, but in many ways I think the first four albums, as monolithic as they are, are more more rewarding and influential than the last two, which are a real mixed bag in my opinion. (The Seer was a study in pointless overindulgence.)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mutation posted:

quote:

SECONDS: Tell me about what happened during the Nitsch performance you were part of?
GIRA: That was in Venice, CA, around1978-79. A woman I was involved with at the time ran an arts organization that presented stuff that wouldn't otherwise be seen in any institutional or established art context. The Nitsch event was more of a ritual than a performance in that it lasted about four to six hours and was right there all around you - not on a stage - in a storefront that had been emptied out for the occasion. Strung up in this white room were the skinned carcasses of two lambs, ropes stretching out from each limb to the floor and ceiling so that the dead meat was suspended in mid-air. Something like a hundred gallons of lambs' blood and entrails had been supplied in vats as well, and as a series of young boys, naked and blindfolded, were brought out on a stretcher, the blood, etc. was poured through the carcass and over the tender youth's bodies, into their mouths, etc. This obscure series of ritualized actions was directed by Nitsch himself, who was this little fat guy dressed in black like a priest without a collar, with a pasty white Austrian face with ruby red moist lips, sort of like you might picture a bloated and drunk Napoleon-figure, and he was wearing this one oversized black rubber glove on his right hand, and with it he'd direct people. He'd gathered a sizable orchestra of street people, punks, volunteers, and with a raising or lowering of his black hand they'd let loose with a really loud squall of noise played by horns, drums, whistles, anything that made sounds, so this roaring cacophony punctuated or egged on the Mass taking place. Everyone was drinking lots of wine from jugs that were passed around; the idea was to get drunk as possible and revel in the blood and sound, and eventually it just built to a point where the boy volunteer sacrifices started shaking in uncontrollable convulsions. By this time- after hours of the overwhelming surges of sound, the stink of the meat and blood- the room had filled a couple of inches deep in blood and offal and everyone was just wallowing in it. Really wonderful! A couple of the assistants, who were pouring the blood and just and just generally executing Nitsch's commands- actually it was the kipper Kids, who'd met Nitsch once in Austria- got carried away and cut the bottom ropes so the blood was flying everywhere. Half the audience was naked by this point and blood-soaked and in a drunken dream state. Eventually the blood was pouring out the door onto the street outside and the police came. It was funny to see them in their neat blue suits amidst the slaughter...I don't really remember too much beyond that, because I was so drunk myself and it was so long ago, but the main thing I took away from the event- besides a stink that I couldn't wash off for weeks- was the sense of being overwhelmed by the blood and sound, the way it slowed down time, and I wanted it to go on forever. In a way it was a really pure religious experience. I think I hosed like a wild beast that night. By the way, there are now a few CDs out of the music from Nitsch's rituals, and I highly recommend them, though naturally they're really hard to find.

Here's the full thing.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

:stare: loving Michael Gira.

Argali posted:

more rewarding and influential than the last two, which are a real mixed bag in my opinion. (The Seer was a study in pointless overindulgence.)

Cymbal Monkey fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 24, 2014

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Reading Pitchfork's To Be Kind review, I came across this bit in it:

quote:

(This summer, Swans are even playing the odd free festival date in outdoor public squares, which could conceivably earn them a few new fans in the grandparents-and-strollers demographic.)
Now all I can imagine is a old lady sobbing while Gira screams that her name is "gently caress".

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

If I ever have a child, I'm going to name it gently caress.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
They are playing a free show at Yonge-Dundas Square in Toronto for NXNE at 7:40PM on Friday June 20th.

This square is located in the heart of downtown, directly across from the biggest shopping centre in the city.

Frostyhawk
Jan 21, 2012

Bird Up!

This was the exact passage I read when I was first getting into Swans that made me realize that indulging in their music was going to send me deep down the rabbit hole.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

I have a flight from London to Seattle next Wednesday, gonna listen from White Light through to To Be Kind in one, unbroken go. :getin:

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
That interview clip is amazing. Anyone else got any good ones of Gira telling weird stories?

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012

I think it's funny that the guy who is too crazy for the satanic blood orgy is married to Bette Middler.

No poo poo. One of the "Kipper Kids." Never understood the appeal of their act.

Here's the blood orgy aficionado on the red carpet, or something.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

interview excerpt.

Here's my favorite part of Moynihan's interview. I really liked his book on black metal as a kid in the 90's.

SECONDS: Why hasn 't Swans received the recognition it deserves?

GIRA: Well, there's a boundless stream of recriminations, self and otherwise, that could flow from that question, but let's just leave it with this oppressively truthful axiom: you get what you deserve.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Alright, I finally listened to The Seer. It's not as weird or as much of a mindfuck as it probably would've been if I'd started listening to Swans with this album, but I guess To Be Kind got me acclimated enough to the Swans weirdness to the point where this kind of sounds like more of the same. Don't get me wrong, though, I still really dig it.

The title track is huge and menacing. That harmonica part gave it a nice push into agonizing/desolate territory. And then the vocals right after that part sounds like the wailing of a mental patient. I felt like I was walking down Death Row in a prison in the middle of the desert while listening to it. And then 93 Ave. B Blues was like a nightmare in sound form. Song for a Warrior was like a breath of fresh air after the onslaught that was Disc 1. Then Avatar, especially the ending, was repetitive and furious and lovely. A Piece of the Sky started out sounding like the score to some deeply unsettling film but then it became a pretty normal piece of music as it went on. Well, normal for Swans at least. And then The Apostate…at the beginning, it sounded like it was building up to be this droney, ear-splittingly loud metal piece, and yep, that’s exactly what it built up to. At one point it sounded like Michael Gira recorded the sounds of himself playing ping pong and used that as the percussion for part of this track. And then later on the song sounds jazzy? This is all over the place but I like it haha

I listened to this album while I was very tired, which was probably a terrible idea. On one hand, I feel completely drained now, so I'm probably gonna fall asleep right away. On the other hand, I'll probably have nightmares from listening to this loving thing right before bed.

Next up on the list: My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope To The Sky.

Hidden Mother
Nov 12, 2012
Has anyone else heard The Body Lovers record? It's a post-Swans Gira project that still features Jarboe and Norman Westberg amongst others. It's probably the closest thing to Soundtracks For The Blind I've heard and from what I gather was made in a similar way, from cutting and pasting different recordings. Definitely worth a listen, I'm very surprised more people don't mention it actually.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

I burst out laughing at "Really wonderful!" God, I love Gira.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Seer was my first exposure to Swans and I honestly didn't find it that crazy. I just thought it was kind of cool. The Great Annihilator and parts of Children of God gave me way more of the oppressive/insane vibe, and then To Be Kind just crushed me.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
On my way home from seeing swans in brixton. Rad as gently caress and so intense.

Worst loving crowd though. If any of you were squeezing past over and over to get booze in the middle of songs, eat a dick.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

sharktamer posted:

On my way home from seeing swans in brixton. Rad as gently caress and so intense.

Worst loving crowd though. If any of you were squeezing past over and over to get booze in the middle of songs, eat a dick.

When I saw them in Oklahoma City in 2012, there was this dude who looked to be in his 40s but dressed like a teenager who kept bobbing around the crowd and bumping into people trying to get them to slamdance. Eventually Gira addressed him from the stage and made him promise to cut it out or he would be ejected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

sharktamer posted:

I was there too. loving insane, but you're right, people were pushing through all the loving time!

• Locked thread