Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Len posted:

I raise you:

Will see yours, and raise you:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Len posted:

It's actually a pretty stale hell. You've been gone quite some time.

Oh, we have plenty of room to fool around with. Actually we have far more than every other role combined.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Reverend Dr posted:

Oh, we have plenty of room to fool around with. Actually we have far more than every other role combined.

Stale as in blade/hammer is old hat to everyone except people who ABANDONED the game. Like a certain oblivious captain.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

I will Ele/Blood tank now, thank you very much.

Also other than the people that bother learn the game, blades/chaos is still the undisputed best meta ever nothing comes close. And that is still a pretty drat large segment of the playerbase.

midoriyourself
May 30, 2013
Has anyone else had any luck with the A Time to Every Purpose mission in Egypt? I'm pretty sure it's bugged for me. Is there a quick and easy way to reset the instance?

Never mind. Just had to leave the instance and pop back in. Hopefully that fixes the problem. Loving this quest line, if not for the glitches.

midoriyourself fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 5, 2013

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

50 Foot Ant posted:

Make the Wiki. If nothing else a Goon run wiki would be kind of nice. We could put in the various theories and everything.

My main theory is that the modern Republican party was an Illuminati joke, a parody of the Templars that got out of hand. Note the red color scheme, a power structure revolving around lying to people and keeping them as crushed and disadvantaged as possible, self-righteous nature, adherence to religion on a purely superficial level, and refusal to be in any way modern.

My secondary theory is that the Dragon are full of poo poo, and take the sentence 'I meant to do that' to an absurd level.

You may be able to see potential biases in my assertions.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

The Templar are a fandom that hates newer members because the new members are what ruined it and everyone is trying to remember and relive the glory days; the glory days that no one else gives a poo poo about.

Illuminati embrace everything "hip" and "cool" so they can hide that they maintain a rigid hierarchy of a DKP system to determine one's social value and can't see that their functionally retarded creation is smart enough to not trust them.

The Council of Venice are the parents of these manchildren that have been driven to alcoholism and drug use.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

Nostalgia4ColdWar fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 31, 2017

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

I'd consider a "these are the gold standard of passives for NM play" because the list is actually fairly short and we can agree on it, probably standard builders/consumers as well. It should go without saying that they won't be completely optimal for every build and every stat spread, but one should know specifically why they are deviating. Though a wiki sounds like a loving horrible idea that will be ill maintained and constantly out of date.

Also Orochi is a CIA extension designed specifically to 'handle' the templar/illuminati/dragon. All of their evil activities are specifically embellished by themselves (also through CIA 'leaks' to the societies) to cast a shadow over their real purpose which is to keep the societies busy with something that doesn't matter rather than have them actually affecting society. Most Orochi personnel don't know this and believe that Orochi has a sinister purpose the same as the societies do.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
I like to combine this with the Assassin's Creed Templars, and say that the Moon Landing was a Templar plot.

While poking around, I found this comparison of the real life New York location that someone on the forums did:

More at the link. There's a bunch of other places which are based on IRL places too, which I've been meaning to find out more about. Would that sort of thing be worth adding to a potential wiki?

Zephonith fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 5, 2013

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

guppy posted:

it's for soloing and it is pretty good for that.

1. No, not moreso than any other build put together by anyone with two braincells to rub together.

2. That "guide" gives the worst SP allocation advice I've ever seen, and should be removed for that fault alone.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
loving whatever, jesus. God forbid someone share a build that you don't like, but I'm done arguing about this.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Zephonith posted:

More at the link. There's a bunch of other places which are based on IRL places too, which I've been meaning to find out more about. Would that sort of thing be worth adding to a potential wiki?

Many things would be worth adding to a potential wiki! I've hosted sites before, but don't really know how to make one.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Cheston posted:

Many things would be worth adding to a potential wiki! I've hosted sites before, but don't really know how to make one.

The Enjin site has a ton of space available and it might be possible to get a ghetto wiki set up there. Not like we would have to worry about bandwidth, and it might be able to take advantage of the memberships already in place there.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
While I think a wiki is a really good idea (I specifically want to do 'no bullshit translations' of lore; I hate seeing RPers misunderstand things they're using in their RP, but in this game I can't entirely blame them since all the lore has to be found and is written in a very elaborate style that makes simple facts a bit of a chore to find), I don't really like the idea of hosting it on the goon Enjin site. The project should really be about informing everyone possible, rather than just us; this game's got Unfair.co for mission solutions, and that's about it. It can be a bit of a goon project to get it up and running and up to snuff, but it shouldn't be goon-only or seen as such.

If only so I have an impartial page that I can point to in RP and say 'here is recorded proof that you can't get into Ealdwic as a regular dude', or (much more often) 'the Templars aren't religious already, they stopped being religious centuries ago, Sonnac literally told you this in the opening'.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

I'd appreciate a trial key if someone has one available.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

Nostalgia4ColdWar fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 31, 2017

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Lassitude posted:

I'd appreciate a trial key if someone has one available.

ZAULHAWQH2XUQJ8N7KNV

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
Just so I'm absolutely sure how this works: I can solo and do groups just fine with an AR/elemental build, except when it comes to Nightmare content? And if this is correct, I can then start branching out into Fists and be able to do that also?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Sjonkel posted:

Just so I'm absolutely sure how this works: I can solo and do groups just fine with an AR/elemental build, except when it comes to Nightmare content? And if this is correct, I can then start branching out into Fists and be able to do that also?

You can probably do the Nightmare content in Transylvania fine too, for the most part. Especially with AR, which has some great tools for survivability.

EDIT: I should say that whe it gets to the point of Nightmare content, you will probably have to expand into other weapons. But that's less to improve your soloing, and more because because you'll need some utilities that your main weapons can't provide. Also, you'll run out of worthwhile abilities to get eventually.

EDIT 2: Also there's a distinction between the Nightmare solo content in Transylvania (enemies are more durable, have some extra tricks up their sleeve, do more damage but generally are pretty manageable) and Nightmare dungeons (just about the hardest the game gets, you'll need specific weapons and abilities for certain fights).

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jun 5, 2013

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
I did an elite today using my solo Ele/AR build (which I used in Transylvania).

I wouldn't recommend doing that precisely, because the group I was really bad and kept wiping at the Primordial Dweller so at one point I just said "gently caress it" and switched to my solo build. But yeah, totally can be done.

Edit: You do need different builds for solo content and dungeon content, but the combination of AR/Ele can be used for both at least until Nightmare level.

Zephonith fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jun 5, 2013

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Are we talking about the Nightmare mobs/missions or Nightmare Dungeons?

Actually I'm not sure it matters because AR/Ele can do the zone stuff and its also one of the meta standard group DPS builds. So, no matter what he's fine. (Though branching out into other weapons is never a bad idea)

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Yeah, I'm confused where the premise that "AR/Ele can't do nightmare content" came from. Because they most certainly can, and as Rev Dr said, they are one of the standard dps builds in the meta.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
Sorry, I should have clarified. I specifically meant to ask if an AR/ele build could do everything but Nightmare dungeons. I was not aware of there being Nightmare solo content also.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Sjonkel posted:

Sorry, I should have clarified. I specifically meant to ask if an AR/ele build could do everything but Nightmare dungeons. I was not aware of there being Nightmare solo content also.

There are some quests that are classified as "Very Difficult" or whatever even with max gear/weapon skills/faction rank/whatever they use to rate them that are typically referred to as "Nightmare" quests because they tend to involve monsters with the "Nightmare" tag, not as nasty as lair mobs but still nastier than average. They are often very difficult to solo even in QL10 gear til you get up to high-quality purples with good builds. "The Girl Who Kicked The Vampire's Nest" is the usual example. (Less well geared/built players usually do the combat ones in a small group.)

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Sjonkel posted:

AR/Ele is perfectly fine for NM dungeons. A few people who use it prefer it to the cookie cutter AR/Shotgun builds because it requires a bit more micromanaging to get a healthy boost to damage output. Though every build can use micromanaging for more deeps.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

I just like setting things on fire :shobon:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Zephonith posted:

I just like setting things on fire :shobon:

I prefer the ol' slice'n'dice.

Lumis
Jan 10, 2006

I'm either a friend or a foe. Depends on who's looking.
So I redownloaded this and started a new character. I'm a rather big fan of setting things on fire and shooting monsters in the face, but I'm terrible at figuring out what makes a good build. Does anyone have a good Shotgun/Ele build for soloing and/or regular 5-mans they could point me towards? Or is that combo not viable?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Amante posted:

In theory, there's nothing wrong with putting a couple of suggested builds in the OP for new people who feel completely directionless. The most important part is making it clear that you can't really make any wrong choices with the skill wheel. Any weapon combo works for leveling, and the game outright throws free points at you by the time you're midway through Egypt.

The problem with Mayushit's OP was that he posited Blades/Chaos as the one true leveling build, as if it was the best (or even only) option. Hilariously, Blades/Chaos doesn't even touch the top three most efficient solo/leveling builds.

But that's part of the fun. You can do almost anything for leveling and have fun with it. Builds only start to become a real consideration when you're dipping into Nightmare missions/dungeons. One of the few things with the skill system Funcom actually did right.
See, I was/am kind of directionless, and if there's a top three most-efficient levelling builds, I'd love to know about them!

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

HughGRect posted:

ZAULHAWQH2XUQJ8N7KNV

Thanks!

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Zephonith posted:

I like to combine this with the Assassin's Creed Templars, and say that the Moon Landing was a Templar plot.

While poking around, I found this comparison of the real life New York location that someone on the forums did:

I'm kind of curious if Ealdwic is based on anywhere in London.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Not So Fast posted:

Its an amalgamation of "London"-like design, but "Ealdwic" is not real unless im very, very much mistaken. :tinfoil:

Also on the previous topic that recapped the plot of TSW, Cassandra was speculated to be something else equally interesting.

Morgan le Fay, After the sword for all the obvious reasons. 'Tho the one i liked, even if its abit heroic for her, was to return it to the lady of the lake for Excalibur has been abused far too long.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Shadowmorn posted:

Its an amalgamation of "London"-like design, but "Ealdwic" is not real unless im very, very much mistaken. :tinfoil:
"Ealdwic" is the Old English name for what's now Aldwych, which is a fairly swish part of central London with a disused Tube station (:tinfoil:). The design of Ealdwic in the game looks quite similar to real-life Aldwych, with the stone terraces and (by London standards) wide streets. Though the surrounding residential streets in the game remind me of Highbury and Islington, which is a swanky part of North London full of meeja executives and people who run lifestyle boutiques.

edit: I mean similar in a general sense, they don't seem to have copied streets the way they have for NYC.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 5, 2013

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Zephro posted:

See, I was/am kind of directionless, and if there's a top three most-efficient levelling builds, I'd love to know about them!

Really the first time you play through it is more fun to play what you just want to play rather than trying to go for something 'optimal' while leveling. There is just no reason to want to rush through the absolute best part of the game to reach the lackluster grindy endgame faster.

I'm not kidding, jumping into 'optimal sperg attitude' before Nightmare content can really take away from the really well done story and missions.

Last chance, there's no turning back.
You have been warned.

There is only one build that for leveling is noticeably more efficient than any other for leveling. I use "build" in a very loose sense as its really only a handfull of actual skills.

Assault Riffle/X (really anything else is likely to be just as good as the next)
Safety Off 1pt - This is the highest damage builder in the game, even though its passive is due to be slightly nerfed in 1.7, that won't change a thing for leveling.
Three Round Burst 9pt - This is AR's single target consumer
Suppressing Fire 9pt - The go-to AoE builder, quite possibly all the AoE you will ever need
Lock and Load 4pt(?) - Push button get consumer. Great for short fights, great for sustained damage on long fights. Its great.
Anima Shot 4pt(?) - When all else fails and the enemy is too strong, swap this builder for Safety Off. Now you do damage and heal yourself at the same time. No need to change gear for solo. It only builds AR resources (told you any other weapon would be as good as the next), does less damage, makes fights take longer, but it gives you the ability to kill things that are way the hell stronger than you should be able to kill
For Passives, just bring stuff that makes sense (the passives for Safety Off and Anima Shot make sense, as does the +10% AR damage)

Also your stats. Until you reach the higher levels of endgame gear, you don't have a budget for Crit Rating or Crit Power, you will get better damage gains from focusing only on Hit and Penetration. You can put Q10 level glyphs into any Qlevel of equipment. We have metric shittons of Q10 glyph kits lying around. You really shouldn't need to do all that many gear upgrades. Get gear from dungeons, Polaris Q3, Hell Raised Q5(though maybe skip HR), Darkness War Q6 (and blue Q6 weapons from Blue Mountain sequin vendor), Ahnk Q8(and blue Q8 weapons from City of Sun God sequin vendor). (Hell Fallen is Q9, but blue Q8 gear is approximately the same as green Q10 which is the starting gear level of the post zone content).

Congratulations you have now looked behind the curtain. There is a little man crunching numbers on a spreadsheet, that is the real game of TSW. You can't unsee it now.

Reverend Dr fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 5, 2013

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Reverend Dr posted:

Really the first time you play through it is more fun to play what you just want to play rather than trying to go for something 'optimal' while leveling. There is just no reason to want to rush through the absolute best part of the game to reach the lackluster grindy endgame faster.

I'm not kidding, jumping into 'optimal sperg attitude' before Nightmare content can really take away from the really well done story and missions.

Last chance, there's no turning back.
You have been warned.

There is only one build that for leveling is noticeably more efficient than any other for leveling. I use "build" in a very loose sense as its really only a handfull of actual skills.

Assault Riffle/X (really anything else is likely to be just as good as the next)
Safety Off 1pt - This is the highest damage builder in the game, even though its passive is due to be slightly nerfed in 1.7, that won't change a thing for leveling.
Three Round Burst 9pt - This is AR's single target consumer
Suppressing Fire 9pt - The go-to AoE builder, quite possibly all the AoE you will ever need
Lock and Load 4pt(?) - Push button get consumer. Great for short fights, great for sustained damage on long fights. Its great.
Anima Shot 4pt(?) - When all else fails and the enemy is too strong, swap this builder for Safety Off. Now you do damage and heal yourself at the same time. No need to change gear for solo. It only builds AR resources (told you any other weapon would be as good as the next), does less damage, makes fights take longer, but it gives you the ability to kill things that are way the hell stronger than you should be able to kill
For Passives, just bring stuff that makes sense (the passives for Safety Off and Anima Shot make sense, as does the +10% AR damage)

Also your stats. Until you reach the higher levels of endgame gear, you don't have a budget for Crit Rating or Crit Power, you will get better damage gains from focusing only on Hit and Penetration. You can put Q10 level glyphs into any Qlevel of equipment. We have metric shittons of Q10 glyph kits lying around. You really shouldn't need to do all that many gear upgrades. Get gear from dungeons, Polaris Q3, Hell Raised Q5(though maybe skip HR), Darkness War Q6 (and blue Q6 weapons from Blue Mountain sequin vendor), Ahnk Q8(and blue Q8 weapons from City of Sun God sequin vendor). (Hell Fallen is Q9, but blue Q8 gear is approximately the same as green Q10 which is the starting gear level of the post zone content).

Congratulations you have now looked behind the curtain. There is a little man crunching numbers on a spreadsheet, that is the real game of TSW. You can't unsee it now.
This is great, thanks. Full sperg mode engaged. Don't get me wrong, I love the levelling, but at the same time I'd like to be able to do as much of it as possible, even the harder stuff, and a good build will help with that!

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Not So Fast posted:

The station itself is based on Covent Garden station:

And the photo on the Wikipedia page for Aldwych does look familiar http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldwych

I'll look into it some more, but my character's an Illuminati so I might not get around to doing Temple Court.

Also Zephro: are you also Zephro in-game? Cos I'm Zepho, so I can see some confusing fun times if we group :D

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Well so far I'm enjoying my shotgun elemental build since I remembered what order to apply debuff in, things are going much smoother now. Hey 50Ft Ant, are you doing the Hobo Murder Express sometime today? I would love to tag along since I love the TSW dungeons so much, and I'm in dire need of better gear.
Oh I'm in the Awful Order as "Doomthorne", just so ya know.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Nostalgia4ColdWar fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh cool, Im in Alaska so that works for me.

• Locked thread