Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
EDIT: drat why does this happen to me all the time.
Man I am not looking forward to the second bit of that, Egypt is hard enough as it is without a bloody maze too. Actually I think they could stand to thin out the number of mobs by a little bit, the Secret World is really crowded. Im suprised there are any normal people left alive what with all the wendigos, ghouls, alien bugs, and vampires every where.

Dreadwroth fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slig
Mar 30, 2010

Zephonith posted:

We could go all current events and be "Prism Surveillance".

Actually, that works a little too well with the pyramid and all seeing eye stuff that it makes me a little :tinfoil:

Edit: though if we're going conspiracies, The Build-A-Burger Group

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Dreadwroth posted:

EDIT: drat why does this happen to me all the time.
Man I am not looking forward to the second bit of that, Egypt is hard enough as it is without a bloody maze too. Actually I think they could stand to thin out the number of mobs by a little bit, the Secret World is really crowded. Im suprised there are any normal people left alive what with all the wendigos, ghouls, alien bugs, and vampires every where.
I'm actually agreeing with the last statement in general although it's not really that bad in TSW. I guess players complain about boring barren worlds if you don't fill every square meter with something to kill.

I disliked city of the sun god for similiar reasons though, sometimes you have to run miles to get anywhere and the whole zone is just depressing IMO. Some areas are full of annoying mobs who always put some DoT on you, turning off sprint after a tick or two, or delaying tacos after every fight. And the missions didn't impress me either.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I guess my real issue with TSW is they seemed to spend all of their time on Kingsmouth and just threw in Egypt and Transylvania at the end. I would have preferred more zones and maybe a few less quests per zone or something. It's really weird to go from basically Rhode Island to the desert to spooky Dracula land. It seems really disjointed.
I was expecting to run around cities more, not have them as mostly pointless social hubs.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think that paints Kingsmouth/Solomon Island as some kind of Tortage just in TSW, and that's not really accurate. Sure, the investigations are frontloaded and later zones have more "kill stuff" missions, especially in Transylvania. So one could make the point that they did indeed run out of steam (and time/money) towards the end. Still, beyond that the regions are indeed disjointed to some extent and that has to be on purpose. The themes connecting the zones are the filth, Orochi and the old gods or whatever they are, but the actual zones then focus on the local effects of these themes in different ways and that's good because that way whatever legend never gets stale.

Don't get me wrong though, I'd love to have more actual towns, like Kingsmouth. Al-Merayah is my favourite area in the game, you have a wide variety of missions in and around the town. That's also why I'm not a big fan of Transylvania - there's never really a town, it's just like one or two houses or a romany "trailer park", and some quite old ruins which make the whole thing feel like some regular fantasy MMO at times, always in some woods or monastery ruins or graveyards fighting weird creatures and ghosts. At least Carpathian Fangs has the Red Hand installations, but those mostly shine in their dungeon variants (Facility mostly, I love that place).

Maybe Tokyo will be the "town" zone I'm missing, though.

Edit: I also don't understand why they didn't flesh out the starting cities more (well other than not having the time and money for it, obviously) and even after launch concentrated most services in London. NY and especially Seoul are quite pointless.

orcane fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 10, 2013

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
So, uh, does the Dragon become less horseshit or is it just guys spewing chaos theory and having sex with prostitutes the whole time? Because right now I'm pretty much Geary 4eva.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
They're all about that chaos theory. Their mission debriefings are hilarious (in a disturbing way, I think they're pretty much the worst guys that are not Orochi out there...) but all the briefing cutscenes in Seoul are basically :words:

No more blowjobs though.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

orcane posted:

I think that paints Kingsmouth/Solomon Island as some kind of Tortage just in TSW, and that's not really accurate. Sure, the investigations are frontloaded and later zones have more "kill stuff" missions, especially in Transylvania. So one could make the point that they did indeed run out of steam (and time/money) towards the end. Still, beyond that the regions are indeed disjointed to some extent and that has to be on purpose. The themes connecting the zones are the filth, Orochi and the old gods or whatever they are, but the actual zones then focus on the local effects of these themes in different ways and that's good because that way whatever legend never gets stale.

Don't get me wrong though, I'd love to have more actual towns, like Kingsmouth. Al-Merayah is my favourite area in the game, you have a wide variety of missions in and around the town. That's also why I'm not a big fan of Transylvania - there's never really a town, it's just like one or two houses or a romany "trailer park", and some quite old ruins which make the whole thing feel like some regular fantasy MMO at times, always in some woods or monastery ruins or graveyards fighting weird creatures and ghosts. At least Carpathian Fangs has the Red Hand installations, but those mostly shine in their dungeon variants (Facility mostly, I love that place).

Maybe Tokyo will be the "town" zone I'm missing, though.

Edit: I also don't understand why they didn't flesh out the starting cities more (well other than not having the time and money for it, obviously) and even after launch concentrated most services in London. NY and especially Seoul are quite pointless.

Because London is the social hub. If you post wanting something different on the official forums pubbies will tell you to gently caress off and Joel will politely tell you to gently caress off.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Have they ever determined what kind of hub the other cities are? Lore jumping puzzle hub and raid hub?

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
Pfft more like DERPA

My favourite area is the Roman era Sol Glorificus in Egypt from the Last Train to Cairo mission chain. Running through there with an assault rifle on your back ruins the immersion a bit, but the whole thing is lively, interesting and fun. I guess it's not in the "modern MMO" spirit and has more of an Assassin's Creed sort of feel to it though.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I just wish I could keep that roman garb as permanent clothing.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

orcane posted:

Have they ever determined what kind of hub the other cities are? Lore jumping puzzle hub and raid hub?

Stormwind and Darnassus.

(I think one was supposed to have a tattoo parlor. And Seoul's sewers are supposed to be full of demons. That's about it.)

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Why are you guys trying to form a new illuminati cabal again? Killsion, and myself, are regularly on, and lawli is occasionally around. What's the actual problem?

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

GEMorris posted:

Why are you guys trying to form a new illuminati cabal again? Killsion, and myself, are regularly on, and lawli is occasionally around. What's the actual problem?

I guess since we have like 500+ members, 490 of which don't play anymore, it'd simplify things. I'm indifferent about it honestly.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Killsion posted:

I guess since we have like 500+ members, 490 of which don't play anymore, it'd simplify things. I'm indifferent about it honestly.

In that case why not just ask us to clean house, or dissolve/reform? I certainly don't mind cleaning out the ranks, but dissolving and reforming could also work.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

GEMorris posted:

In that case why not just ask us to clean house, or dissolve/reform? I certainly don't mind cleaning out the ranks, but dissolving and reforming could also work.

As long as I end up rank five out of this shuffle I don't care what happens.

Edit: How would thinning the ranks even work? The cabal system is garbage and doesn't tell you when people were last online. Would it just be posting on the offsite forums that we removed a bunch of people and they can message someone to get back in?

Len fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 10, 2013

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

GEMorris posted:

Who are you in game?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

guppy posted:

Who are you in game?

Rhan

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Man Raiser, even I figured that out :haw:

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

Nostalgia4ColdWar fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 31, 2017

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

50 Foot Ant posted:

I'm still an active member of the Templar faction.

You guys didn't leave me out in the cold, did you?

You can join the new club house if you want, or you can stay in the old one too. We all meet in mumble or the in game channel. Those have not changed.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Marx posted:

My least favorite part of the game is the City of the Sun God, which is the second part of Egypt. The storyline is interesting, but the environment just feels horrible. It's a giant 3d maze of valleys and ledges and navigating it for the first couple of times is obnoxious.

All the other zones are pretty good though.
CF is probably worse between literally everything leaving DOTs on you after combat, and Field Transfusion being the thing that should not exist.

fullTimeLurker
Nov 10, 2010

OneEightHundred posted:

CF is probably worse between literally everything leaving DOTs on you after combat, and Field Transfusion being the thing that should not exist.

what you don't like being stunned every 5 seconds? Honestly that area was much more endurable when Sleight of Hand had a 20 second cooldown instead of a 40 second cooldown. It was the only way that area was doable for me.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

fullTimeLurker posted:

what you don't like being stunned every 5 seconds? Honestly that area was much more endurable when Sleight of Hand had a 20 second cooldown instead of a 40 second cooldown. It was the only way that area was doable for me.

Hinders! (Still annoying.)

Is the game down for anybody else right now? The forums and main website as well.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
I'm in-game right now and the chat and community servers have been completely down for the last half hour.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Yeah, I can't get back in right now. Funcompetence at its best.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Since the game went free-to-play I decided to dust off my copy of the game and give it another try. I don't really remember much about the game. What weapon options pair well with pistols? Is there a ~60 point build somebody can show me to point me in the right direction?

midoriyourself
May 30, 2013
Ugh. I forgot that the Venetian Missile Crisis mission is what it is and just merrily ran off into the portal and now I can't actually leave that zone. At least not until my Agartha stone cooldown is over. Wasting twenty minutes standing in one place so I don't trigger the guards~ Fun times with Funcom.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Looks like they're trying to get the Authentication/Community/lots of servers back up.

Tyshalob posted:

Since the game went free-to-play I decided to dust off my copy of the game and give it another try. I don't really remember much about the game. What weapon options pair well with pistols? Is there a ~60 point build somebody can show me to point me in the right direction?

I don't think I have any low-AP builds, but Shotgun pairs well with Pistols. Use Out for a Kill as a consumer, and keep Breaching Shot and Deadly Aim as damage boosts, throwing in whatever hinders Shotgun provides.

Alternatively, it's 36 AP to get through the inner wheel of Assault Rifles, and Assault Rifles are generally great with anything. (Slow the Advance is one of the better Elites early on, and you can get Three Round Burst (a good consumer) and Suppressing Fire (a good AoE builder that pairs well with Wanted) for 9 AP each right after unlocking the outer AR trees.)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The Carpathians is pretty much my main AP-grinding spot, and even I have to agree that it can be a pain to get around. I consider the impairs worse than the hinders, though; Picking a fight against the vampire hybrid dudes, there are so many impairs and hinders flying around that Contortionist's protection is completely useless.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

GEMorris posted:

What's the point though? Only thing it accomplishes is creating extra re-registering/inviting nonsense to the goons who visit this game every few years (like me). Or they'll just skip getting into any guild at all, in which case the guild has even less playing people than it would without kicking inactives.

:confused:

I'm probably gonna sub for a month or two some time later this summer or fall.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Everyone just hangs out in the chat channel or mumble. I don't ever think I've seen anyone talk in guild chat.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Fewd posted:

What's the point though? Only thing it accomplishes is creating extra re-registering/inviting nonsense to the goons who visit this game every few years (like me). Or they'll just skip getting into any guild at all, in which case the guild has even less playing people than it would without kicking inactives.

:confused:

I'm probably gonna sub for a month or two some time later this summer or fall.
On the other hand there's nothing really in the cabal that someone who only shows up that rarely needs from the cabals for which Mumble or the chat channel wouldn't be better. Someone who needs gear or dungeon runs has to hit up goons in these channels anyway because we're already scattered across three cabals and chances are those who are on aren't in your faction.

TSW doesn't have cabal member limits so there's no real need to get rid of inactives, except for those in officer positions (especially rank 5s of which a cabal can only have what, 3? - and if you can't kick them you basically have to remake the cabal, thanks Drinkfist) but at the same time there's also no real use to having hundreds of people who never play this game again.

Maybe that all will change when they revamp the cabal stuff, but that's far in the future. Funcom is still catching up with new devs, after the old one who did the cabal UI and systems left the company.

orcane fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jun 11, 2013

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
Starting on Friday, it's double XP/double bullion/free boots weekend.

Here is some info about it:

http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/black_weekend_event_starting_this_friday

That also means that this weekend will be a good time to try this game out, I guess. Anyone who wants a 3 day trial, just ask in the thread and someone will probably post one.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I guess it's time to finally drag my alts through nightmares.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I was almost excited about the event until I read what it was. I'll sign on to get the boots then go back to Last of Us.

fullTimeLurker
Nov 10, 2010

Len posted:

I was almost excited about the event until I read what it was. I'll sign on to get the boots then go back to Last of Us.

It might actually be worth using a condenser since you get 2 instead of one. And running 18's gets you 18 more bullion. With the lockouts it won't really change much of anything. Now what funcom REALLY needs to do is make an ALL ASTRAL FUSE weekend. Nothing but astral fuses drop from both lair bosses. Now THAT would be something that I'd get excited about.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Did anyone notice whether or not Signet prices rose after 1.5 and 1.6? Fury have gone down in response to the patch notes, and I can't decide whether to sell while most of the signets I'd buy are cheap or wait and sell/buy when they're both expensive.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

fullTimeLurker posted:

It might actually be worth using a condenser since you get 2 instead of one. And running 18's gets you 18 more bullion. With the lockouts it won't really change much of anything. Now what funcom REALLY needs to do is make an ALL ASTRAL FUSE weekend. Nothing but astral fuses drop from both lair bosses. Now THAT would be something that I'd get excited about.

Astral Fuses from Nightmare bosses. Gotta make up for lost time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

fullTimeLurker posted:

Seems like they didn't get enough people buying condensers. Even doubling the BB from them is hardly enough to make it worthwhile. It might seem somewhat useful for someone with very little BB or custom gear, but once you get a few pieces of custom (like a week of gameplay), then the extra BB from condensers is just not worth it and you'll likely regret buying condensers over buying a sombrero. (BB is only temporary, Sombreros are forever [or 3D glasses]).

ASTRAL FUSE WEEKEND! If you don't play all day every day, then you get behind and can't catch up, but that doesn't really matter because everyone that did has nothing left to get so they quit.

Reverend Dr fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 12, 2013

• Locked thread