Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Okay, after testing my AR/Pistol leech healing build, it's... slower than my Pistols/Ele solo, but infinitely more stable. I'll only die if I get ganged up on by the guys int he Roman baths, everything else in the Carpathians so far poses no threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

orcane posted:

There aren't, but it's not like those points are wasted - you just could have reached QL10 faster or branched out to different weapons earlier.

I don't know, I soloed everything but The Girl who kicked the Vampire's Nest and Last Dance of the Padurii in blues with a DPS build. The only things I adjusted were wearing a HP talisman and switching out some passives for specific nightmare areas (any self-healing for Ripples, Close Quarters for the hell soldiers in Shadowy Forest, Magnum or 12 Gouge for the spectres, Bloodsport for the cryo vampires in Carpathian Fangs). Even for emergencies I prefer to use QL3 leech potions instead of survivability skills.

Hinder/impair won't help as a general guideline though because vampires are debuff-resistant and nightmare mobs are outright immune, except a few which specifically want to be stunned/slowed to deal with their nightmare effects.

Yeah, Transylvania's not that bad. A glass cannon DPS build will do pretty well, although you might want more HP than the base amount and that still might not cut it in places like the Roman baths, the Soviet bunkers and to a lesser extent the Carpathian monastery. You might like to have something better suited for it, but it's not that bad.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

50 Foot Ant posted:

Make the Wiki. If nothing else a Goon run wiki would be kind of nice. We could put in the various theories and everything.

My main theory is that the modern Republican party was an Illuminati joke, a parody of the Templars that got out of hand. Note the red color scheme, a power structure revolving around lying to people and keeping them as crushed and disadvantaged as possible, self-righteous nature, adherence to religion on a purely superficial level, and refusal to be in any way modern.

My secondary theory is that the Dragon are full of poo poo, and take the sentence 'I meant to do that' to an absurd level.

You may be able to see potential biases in my assertions.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
While I think a wiki is a really good idea (I specifically want to do 'no bullshit translations' of lore; I hate seeing RPers misunderstand things they're using in their RP, but in this game I can't entirely blame them since all the lore has to be found and is written in a very elaborate style that makes simple facts a bit of a chore to find), I don't really like the idea of hosting it on the goon Enjin site. The project should really be about informing everyone possible, rather than just us; this game's got Unfair.co for mission solutions, and that's about it. It can be a bit of a goon project to get it up and running and up to snuff, but it shouldn't be goon-only or seen as such.

If only so I have an impartial page that I can point to in RP and say 'here is recorded proof that you can't get into Ealdwic as a regular dude', or (much more often) 'the Templars aren't religious already, they stopped being religious centuries ago, Sonnac literally told you this in the opening'.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Sjonkel posted:

Just so I'm absolutely sure how this works: I can solo and do groups just fine with an AR/elemental build, except when it comes to Nightmare content? And if this is correct, I can then start branching out into Fists and be able to do that also?

You can probably do the Nightmare content in Transylvania fine too, for the most part. Especially with AR, which has some great tools for survivability.

EDIT: I should say that whe it gets to the point of Nightmare content, you will probably have to expand into other weapons. But that's less to improve your soloing, and more because because you'll need some utilities that your main weapons can't provide. Also, you'll run out of worthwhile abilities to get eventually.

EDIT 2: Also there's a distinction between the Nightmare solo content in Transylvania (enemies are more durable, have some extra tricks up their sleeve, do more damage but generally are pretty manageable) and Nightmare dungeons (just about the hardest the game gets, you'll need specific weapons and abilities for certain fights).

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jun 5, 2013

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Notinghamington posted:

BOO! My internet poo poo it's self in the middle of a dungeon! Bah, not like I was helping much anyways.

That happened to our healer in Hell Eternal NM earlier. Sucks, we were doing reasonably well and could've easily handled the rest of it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Tolstojevski posted:

If anyone has a spare buddy key, could you shoot it to tolstojevski at hushmail.com ? I would be much obliged, been wanting to give this a run.

Can do.

EDIT: Sent, hopefully.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Zephonith posted:

We could go all current events and be "Prism Surveillance".

Actually, that works a little too well with the pyramid and all seeing eye stuff that it makes me a little :tinfoil:

Edit: though if we're going conspiracies, The Build-A-Burger Group

The Build-A-Bear Group fits into the pun better, I think.

The best name I can come up with is the Low Men Eat Eyes.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

1stGear posted:

I am enjoying the hell out of this game and its the MMO since WoW that I've really liked. I have to ask before buying though, did Funcom pull another AoC and the quality tanks after Kingsmouth?

Nah, the quality maintains for the most part. There's some bad missions here and there, but it's overall pretty solid.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
The Carpathians is pretty much my main AP-grinding spot, and even I have to agree that it can be a pain to get around. I consider the impairs worse than the hinders, though; Picking a fight against the vampire hybrid dudes, there are so many impairs and hinders flying around that Contortionist's protection is completely useless.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I don't know what i love more about that little poll. The fact they so blatantly tried to stack it by throwing partisan language into the poll, or the fact it completely failed.

EDIT: There was a question ehre, it's gone now because I found the answer myself. The poll was posted here, so do what you will.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 14, 2013

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

xanthan posted:

Is it a magic taco or something? How is it all not just falling out? Is it a magic exorcise to help with minute control over objects by stopping things from falling out of a taco?

Is it just Funcompetence applied to a taco eating animation?

All of our characters are magical hyped-up bee people with superpowers.

I believe using telekinesis to keep your taco complete while eating it is not only an understandable use of superpowers, but the expected use of superpowers.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
So today's lesson: Don't underestimate signets. My DPS build used to have a single minor throwaway blue signet, a single green Vigor, and that's all. I averaged about 1.5k DPS, which isn't that great.

I threw in another blue minor, two blues on my weapons, and a green on my head today. My DPS has increased by somewhere between 30% and 60%, and I'm now clocking somewhere int he region of 2.3k fairly regularly.

Hooray!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Council of Venice Database feels like the most obvious to me. If you don't mind going factional, then The Illuminati Archives/The Templar Library/The Dragon's Equations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Wicker's Wiki is a bit esoteric, silly and roundabout, but I enjoy it as a name.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

tallian posted:

Didn't someone say we have plenty of space for a wiki on the enjin site?

Yeah, but tying a wiki that's supposed to inform the playerbase as a whole to the TSW-goon Enjin site is probably a bad idea. We might be running it, but we want it to be free and open to everyone and to look as such; some of the more petulant and annoying people are likely going to entirely ignore the effort if it entirely looks like it's made by us.

And I'm gonna go against the wind and say I really don't support tying it up with EvilBillMurray either, even if that is a joke answer. He was certainly bringing up good points, but he was doing so without anything near tact, and the response is unsurprising.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

tallian posted:

Ah, didn't realize this was going for a pubbie oriented wiki.

Hey, we already know all this poo poo, they're the ones that need to be told things.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm not against polishing up the CryGaia wiki, but it's sort of a dilapidated relic; not surprising when you look at the domain name. Judging by the Recent Changes page at this point the entire thing is being curated by two people, only one of which is an admin.

My other issue is that we might clash a bit with the management of an old place like this that we want to fix up. I can only imagine our editing style would be very total, hardline and not entirely polite, so if we can even get ahold of some of the people still managing the place (again, there's one admin and one regular user) we might not see eye-to-eye.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
After a long time of toiling in dungeons, I have finally gotten all 10.4 equipment.

This means many things to many people. Being nearly as useful as your gear can allow, finally being able to get in on any team you want without lying, being able to actually survive in Facility NM.

For me it just means I don't have to fight Machine Tyrant anymore. And that knowledge, I feel, trumps all other implications.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Toshimo posted:

Machine Tyrant (and legit 3/6 HF) are pretty much the best fight in the game. Why anyone wouldn't want to do them is beyond me.

A big part of my hatred for Machine Tyrant is the over-reliance on CU. Shotgun is far and away my least favorite weapon to use, and pubs basically mandate its use if you're playing a DPS (the last MT run I did had four, maybe even all five running shotgun, which nobody seemed to see a problem with). To top it off I don't think I've ever been on a team that's actually mandated and maintained a CU order for more than one cycle. CU is an overrated and overpowered ability simultaneously if such a thing is even possible, and Machine Tyrant is a really big part of that.

Also, dodging the rings is hell on a high-ping connection, sometimes you'll just get arbitrarily killed because your client and the server didn't agree on where you were. I've never done the third Hell Fallen boss legit, but as I recall in NM it requires the DPS to run impairs, which sounds difficult to manage.

Personally my favorite bosses are HE and Fac 5/6, because I'm a sucker for supposedly fighting on even ground, and those two are both sort of meant to be another team.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Fruits of the sea posted:

Just picked this up on the steam sale now. Any recommendations on picking an EU pvp server? (if there is such a thing)

There isn't. There's PvP, but Funcom's been struggling to find an infrastructure that works for it. It's getting yet another revamp with the next major patch, at this point I've stopped trying to follow it.

There's a pretty healthy PvP community, but you won't find anyone who likes it here.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Fewd posted:

Nor cleanup for that matter. :confused:

Put very short, it can do two things, and it's the best ability in the game for both of them. By far, in the case of cleansing.

It's not nearly as far above the curve in purging as it is in cleansing, but the fact it's so stupidly far above everything else in the field of cleansing means that all the other purges get ignored, too, because CU is just so strong and easy and everyone had to get it anyway.

EDIT: Also, the only nerf they've ever served it actually served to make people use it more. Instead of tackling the fact that it's the best cleanse and the best purge in the game simultaneously, they just made the cooldown longer. Which of course didn't make people search for alternatives (that they wouldn't anyway because it's the only cleanse capable of covering the one thing people ask for cleanses for), instead it made teams ask for even more members to carry it.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jun 20, 2013

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Fewd posted:

In this case I'd much rather see them make the pistol cleanses nonshitty rather than start nerfing cleanups. Good start would be taking Bond, Strong Bond and lose the cast time, resource requirement and increase the radius by roughly 1000%. Of course increase the cooldown accordingly.

Losing purge from it wouldn't be a completely huge deal since for strict purging business, elemental is already much better. Although it would make purging more elemental exclusive which is kind of terrible design with as many skill trees as we have. Might be wrong there but I can't remember other reliable purges in the other trees.

When did they make the cooldown longer by the way? I can't quite remember what it was when I last played, thought it was the same 60 secs as now?

Yeah, I'd prefer cleanses for other weapons, Pistol especially, to get buffed over nerfing Clean Up. In part because I run Pistols/Ele by default, so I'd turn from 'chopped liver' to 'hot poo poo' overnight. But as anyone who's done Polaris since the Win-Win buff can attest, that won't work; some people will notice that there's a better alternative that doesn't require someone to change their elite active and probably their weapon, but the majority of people simply will refuse to change from Clean Up unless other abilities are appreciably better.

I remember when throwing around ideas for a real CU nerf, I suggested just straight-up cutting out the purging option. Like you said there are better options anyway, and purging isn't really what we need from CU when it's asked for.

And yeah, they increased the cooldown for Clean Up and Do or Die in the same patch. Clean Up went from 50 seconds to a minute, and Do or Die went from I think 40 to a minute. There were a lot of changes to abilities in that patch, really popular ones getting dialed down while others got taken up a notch, and for the most part it was a good patch that knocked ubiquitous abilities like Live Wire and Empowerment off their pedestals. The CU and Do or Die nerfs did not have that effect, and in fact CU arguably got more popular, because the reason they were so common was not because they were just slightly too fast.

EDIT: I just checked to see what the purging options actually are, and it is actually pretty much either CU or Elementalism. Cleansing has almost the exact same problem, though, with your choices being 'get an underpowered one from Pistol', 'get the only good one from Shotgun', or 'get one weird out of place one from Blood'. Maybe there do need to be some more choices, I'll grant that.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jun 20, 2013

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

guppy posted:

I do but he's wrong. There is no way the average group does 10k DPS, at the high or low ends. That would be an average of 2k DPS per person and I've seen many groups where no other person does that much damage.

And that's not taking into account the fact that one person has to be the tank, and one the healer. Given tanks tend to do around 800 DPS, that means that he thinks every DPS does just under 3.1k damage, not taking into account leech healers.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
-Shotguns/Assault Rifles is a fairly decent straight DPS build. It's not one you'll see all that often in the endgame, but there's very little wrong with it. Going solo you also get leeching, which is great.

-The main differences between the factions are the deck outfits, flavor text, and each one gets unique missions between the 'story' sections. As an example, between the first set of zones and the second set, the Templars get to deal with a ghost exorcism, the Dragon go through a haunted asylum, and the Illuminati go to that warehouse from the end of the first Indiana Jones. Outside of that different mission though, Illuminati win out handily in every category. You can try out the other factions if you want, but you aren't really missing out by not doing so.

-There are two raids so far, one of the against a massive Cthulhu, and one against a similarly beefy Lovecraftian-style dude in the middle of Times Square. Sadly there's no real way to see that without a group, but I don't know how vital that story actually is. There's also a dungeon in every zone that you need to do with a group, but those are entirely disconnected from the main story. You should do them anyway though, because outside of a few exceptions on the high end you're gonna be looking at the best-designed dungeons in MMOs.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 21, 2013

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So, I just finished Dawning of an Endless night and

I was talking with friends while I did it so I was only half paying attention to the end. I chose to accept the gift since I didn't pay attention and saw that I could have rejected it, does this effect future story stuff or whatever? Even if it's just a superficial reference?

It does, sort of. At the end of every region's story you go to that same place and deal with a similar choice, and they are phrased differently depending on your choices previously. As I recall, they're also using it to design Tokyo; whether the majority of players accept or reject the gift will determine how hosed the place is.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I don't know what it looks like, but if you go to the Envoy of Ca'd'Oro in the Draculesti camp, you can see what it's selling for the DLC. We're getting Custom neck talismans, an 'International Man/Woman of Mystery' title, and the outfit is the OROCHI MODULAR BATTLESUIT.

Sadly, I don't know what the O.M.B. looks like, but it can be nothing but good.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
While we're sharing screenshots, for people who don't bother looking, this turned up in Agartha.

No way to get there yet, but meet Tokyo.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Cheston posted:

If they haven't fired him, he's probably wearing a second hat. And maybe a third.

Also, I've been on Testlive. Spoiler for 1.7: The missions are amazing. Looks like Content is a week out, maybe a week and a half.

Can you tell/show me what the OROCHI MODULAR BATTLESUIT looks like? Because I'm pretty sure I have to wear it a lot, just because it exists.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Little bit disappointed on that one, because to me 'Orochi Modular Battlesuit' invoked something more high-tech, maybe Iron Man-ish. But I can get behind most of that outfit.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Rookersh posted:

I remember people saying Tokyo's overall damage will be based on what players chose.

Is the assumption that Tokyo is going to be totally hosed?

We don't know how many people picked which choice in the Dreaming Prison. If it were up to us and our choices Tokyo would probably be dust in the wind because almost all of us sided with the Filth.

But by my guess, we'll be seeing Tokyo at minimal fuckeditude. Even though TSW's a game full of moral ambiguity and there's never really a 'good' choice, the majority of the playerbase (any playerbase, actually) wants to be Good Guys. Tokyo still won't be a pristine paradise because it's still a huge loving crater where a big disaster happened, but I figure damage otherwise will be minimal.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Frankenstein Dad posted:

I'd say it's actually more poetic if the reason Tokyo is hosed is because people are stupid.

My go-to roleplaying character is someone who just loving hates stupid people and thinks they're to blame for every problem with mankind, so I'll be pretty into this happening just because it makes her right and that she can start screaming at the top of her lungs at everybody for being idiots.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

guppy posted:

It may just be a matter of finding builds that work better post-patch, but this patch seems to have hit my DPS pretty hard. It turns 18s into a slog, so if we can't find better-performing ways to do this my interest in continuing the grind gets hit pretty hard too.

What seems to have been hit? There's a lot of changes in those notes, but I don't think any of them are particularly huge deals. The signets were, but those were almost all upwards adjustments.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Smith Comma John posted:

Not sure how much the second change affects pistol dps overall.

Probably a lot, almost every Pistols ability worth using is multi-hit. This is probably a big part of why AR parsed so well (and Pistols similarly, albeit less so), so it'll hurt a lot of DPS.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
IMPORTANT THING I JUST CHECKED: Signet of Fury no longer counts up for every hit of a multi-hit ability. Nothing of the like was mentioned in the patch notes, so I'm assuming this is actually a bug of some kind. I'll float the question over at the forums.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

HughGRect posted:

It was a bug that it wasn't affected by the global cool down, it was fixed.

That wasn't mentioned in the patch notes. And I don't think any 'global cooldown' influences this fact.

I'm still checking; The Business now only procs it once, Shootout two to three times (it's inconsistent, but according to the tooltip text on the ability it should be proccing five times), Gun Crazy three times, and Safety Off once both with and without Extra Bullet.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jun 28, 2013

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

HughGRect posted:

Look at the testlive patch notes, its right there. Live and testlive are using the same build.

Where do I find them? The change isn't noted on the live patchnotes, which seems like a pretty important thing to have just forgotten to mention.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I was actually doing a little better than usual soloing, but that might just be having more luck with fighting the Romans in the bathhouse than usual.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I knew Blue Mountain and Savage Coast were additional zones but so far nothing has pointed me towards them in roughly fifteen hours of play. I assume something eventually will, but I don't know when. I'm excited to finally get to not-Kingsmouth.

The story mission will eventually point you there, when you're done with Kingsmouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
After doing every quest I considered remotely bearable in the Carpathians today, I just want to share what I was left looking at straight afterwards.

I choose to blame The Castle.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jun 30, 2013

• Locked thread