Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Good OP, I love the prominence of horseface. Two things I noticed:

- You probably don't want to post the Mumble server info, leave that to the offsite forum. This one is publicly viewable. People shouldn't be getting on the Mumble server until they've been vetted and supplied the passphrase.

- A tip for newbie deck building: don't ever base your build, either solo or group builds, around exploiting Hindered or Impaired. In group's you can't use them at all because they prevent the tank from interrupting, but even in solo play, Hinders and Impairs are either unreliable (e.g., proc chance) or on long cooldowns/Elites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

GEMorris posted:

This wasn't in the new OP for a reason, which you could have discerned if you had read the new OP

Don't be lovely. It's a perfectly fine build and there's no reason not to repost it, it's just not the only option.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Reverend Dr posted:

That's the reason to not post it. People see only one build listed in the OP and the implication is that its either the only way to go, or its far superior to any other option. The build itself isn't completely horrible, but its not any better than any other inner circle builds for any other two weapons. We have had many people come in saying that they wanted to run other weapons but felt compelled because this one build was presented as the one build to rule them all and that is not a good thing.

It also doesn't help that every reason listed under "why blades/chaos/fist" is wrong or irrelevant and that "efficient SP spending" is anything but that.

I'm not suggesting that it be in the OP, I'm suggesting that there's nothing wrong with posting it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
That build is not for group content, it's for soloing and it is pretty good for that. There are of course other options which is why that build is not in the loving OP and no one is saying it should be so I don't understand why people are saying that it is.

If you mean Nightmares, the OP already covers the fact that DPS need to be ranged. If you mean leveling content then you're full of poo poo, you can do anything you want to in normal dungeons and no one gives a gently caress. I made a new character to play with friends I convinced to buy it and I went Fist/Chaos, and when I wanted to do normal dungeons I dropped a few points in Agitator so I could tank and no one says poo poo because no one cares what you do as long as you get through.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

midnightclimax posted:

I pressed some button and now I've got some kind of mouse view lock. Can't turn it off, can't use my keyboard in the options. And I can't press U and there's a crosshair in the middle of my screen. HAELP

Press T

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Sjonkel posted:

It's nice to hear that any build can work. I'll likely never raid in this game, but if I want to be able to (later on) heal dungeons/instances, can I just take any of skills with some kind of healing paired with anything else, and I'm good? Or should both skills be healing related some way? Like pistol/elemental? Or would I need something like pistol/ar or pistol/blood?

First, understand that there is a distinction to be made between Nightmare dungeons and anything else. You can get by in normals and elites with less care than Nightmares. That said:

By design there are three primary healing weapons: Blood, Fist, and Assault Rifle. In practice, due to a number of design flaws, Blood is not really a feasible primary healing weapon, so make that Fist and AR. Fist healing is about direct heals and heals-over-time; Assault Rifle healing is about leeching, where a portion of your damage dealt is given to your defensive target as healing, which has obvious advantages as far as ending fights faster but also several other considerations, including your ability to maintain contact time, line-of-sight issues (you have to be able to see your healing target), no out-of-combat heals, and so forth.

For most of the game, either of those two primaries is equally viable, so do whatever you feel like. This changes abruptly when you reach Nightmares. At that point, the stat requirements for effective AR healing are out of your reach until you get quite a lot of very carefull chosen gear, so you'd be back to Fist healing if you wanted to heal before you get that gear. There is also at least one NM dungeon that it is impossible to AR heal for mechanical reasons.

For your secondary weapon you have more flexibility. The most common are Blood (barriers, supplemental heals, and the wonderful tool that is Cold Blooded), Fist if you didn't take that as primary, and Pistols (support abilities like Backup Drone, plus Deadly Aim as a self-buff to healing and a group DPS buff). If you don't feel you need them you can use the other weapon to fill whatever gaps your group needs; for example, we've had healers use Shotgun even though it provides no healing benefit because we needed someone to carry Cleanup. You can put whatever you feel like there if you don't need the extra healing tools. Some of our healers run Elemental as secondary so we can bring Short Fuse without needed a dedicated DPS to run it.

Captain Oblivious posted:

So I'm planning to get back into things here soon, what's the tanking meta like these days? I assume things have changed at least a little with CtP no longer penetrating guaranteed. Everyone was moaning about that incoming change when I stopped playing.

Yesssssss come back.

Blade/Hammer is the cool thing right now because it allows the tank to be a significant source of damage. Yesterday Rev did something nuts like 2k DPS as the tank. Blade/Chaos still works and has some nice utility like Chaotic Pull, but because it isn't necessary most people have gone Blade/Hammer to contribute more to ending things fast.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
loving whatever, jesus. God forbid someone share a build that you don't like, but I'm done arguing about this.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Sjonkel posted:

Sorry, I should have clarified. I specifically meant to ask if an AR/ele build could do everything but Nightmare dungeons. I was not aware of there being Nightmare solo content also.

There are some quests that are classified as "Very Difficult" or whatever even with max gear/weapon skills/faction rank/whatever they use to rate them that are typically referred to as "Nightmare" quests because they tend to involve monsters with the "Nightmare" tag, not as nasty as lair mobs but still nastier than average. They are often very difficult to solo even in QL10 gear til you get up to high-quality purples with good builds. "The Girl Who Kicked The Vampire's Nest" is the usual example. (Less well geared/built players usually do the combat ones in a small group.)

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

GEMorris posted:

Why are you guys trying to form a new illuminati cabal again? Killsion, and myself, are regularly on, and lawli is occasionally around. What's the actual problem?

Who are you in game?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

fullTimeLurker posted:

It might actually be worth using a condenser since you get 2 instead of one. And running 18's gets you 18 more bullion. With the lockouts it won't really change much of anything. Now what funcom REALLY needs to do is make an ALL ASTRAL FUSE weekend. Nothing but astral fuses drop from both lair bosses. Now THAT would be something that I'd get excited about.

Astral Fuses from Nightmare bosses. Gotta make up for lost time.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I feel sorry for everyone who missed 18/18: The Musical.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Frankenstein Dad posted:

Library of Alexandria? I guess that's getting a little abstract.

I vote for this, it fits well with the game.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Cheston posted:

It does :(

Gonna find a hosting provider when I get home tonight.

I'm happy with mine, if you want the details.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Len posted:

Why don't we just improve the crygaia wiki? All the work is done and it wouldn't have the potential of being a goon project.

That probably does make the most sense, really. The whole point of a wiki is to be collaborative, there's no reason to build a new one.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
If they nerf Cleanup (again) and don't make anything else better probably everyone will just stop running Hell Raised, or at least the last boss of it. Including me. I have most of what I'd want to buy with bullion, I don't need that kind of headache.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Toshimo posted:

The corect solution to the Machine Tyrant design is to add another ground particle area that moves about that remove lifeburn when you stand in it. Then double lifeburn's damage. Have Joel send me a check.

Oh god don't give him any loving ideas :ohdear:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I do but he's wrong. There is no way the average group does 10k DPS, at the high or low ends. That would be an average of 2k DPS per person and I've seen many groups where no other person does that much damage.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I was, actually, our tanks do a fair bit of damage, especially Rev, and we usually have leech healers these days. But you're right that the average group doesn't seem to do those things. Although I've seen an uptick in leech healers -- but I also have write demanding ads when I recruit for a group.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

extraordinary posted:

Got this off steam during the sale. Read through the thread, didn't understand a single thing that was said. Uhhh. I'll play a little before I am going to hit you guys up, so I don't look like a total fool.

We're all talking about endgame optimization bullshit. Ignore us, pick two weapons that sound cool (two, not one), and go hit some monsters and solve some puzzles. Report back.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Cleretic posted:

-Shotguns/Assault Rifles is a fairly decent straight DPS build. It's not one you'll see all that often in the endgame, but there's very little wrong with it. Going solo you also get leeching, which is great.

it's one of the three most common, actually, along with AR/Elemental and Pistol/Shotgun.

(EDIT: That's with assault rifle as primary though, it's just got plain better builders and better range.)

guppy fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 21, 2013

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Are enemies supposed to be kinda damage spongy? I'm in mostly QL4-5 gear and poo poo just takes forever to kill with my AR, it also makes handling multiple non swarm-type enemies a royal pain. Is this just something I need to grit my teeth and deal with or have I somehow hosed myself up? I'm focusing mostly on the damage trees with only shot of anima for some much needed self healing at the moment.

Also the aggro mechanics in some areas are baffling, it's usually fine but places like the north woods in the second Kingsmouth area is completely absurd. You basically are in a state of constant fighting with no time to rest.

e: Oh a positive note though, players seem pretty helpful. In most MMOs people just leave you to die if they see you struggling to fight things but almost everytime someone near me would throw a few heals up or help me kill the monster. :3:

On top of what Hugh said, your build might also not be great. Hard to tell just from your post.

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

I can get more playtime and funbux for doing enough missions, correct? Is there a way to check how many quests I solved?

There are no longer subscriptions for time, you don't need to "earn" playtime. There is a Funcom point reward for... 30 missions I think it is, but I believe that is one time only. I think the Achievements tracker will give you info on your quest completion numbers.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

xanthan posted:

Assuming your working with pubbies at what point should one do Polaris anyway?

When you're wearing mostly QL 2-3 greens. It isn't that hard and pubbies are often better than goons in this game, you will be fine.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Rookersh posted:

So when does damage catch up?

Doing AR/Shotgun. Alternating through my skill points between Shotgun and AR damage, and grabbing the armor unlocks on the side. Currently have three points in AR damage, and 2 in Shotgun damage, then 1 point in each armor category.

On top of that, I just unlocked the end ranks of ARs, because I've been alternating back and forth between unlock shotgun stuff/ar stuff.

I can kill the horde zombies just fine, but the second I head to the beaches, and fight the mariners/draug, it takes me a hell of a long time to burn through them, usually 3-4 rotations of popping the point blank/grenade high damage AR/Shotgun moves. Anything over two mobs, and I'm toast, and I'm hardpressed to kill two at a time.

Also, I can buy two episodes on the store. When do those technically start in game. One apparently has something to do with the events of Kingsmouth, so I'm wondering if I should buy it now to have it unlocked by the time I finish the zone.

I don't know what your build is but it sounds like some of it may not be very good. No grenade of any kind is very good, and you don't want to use AOE attacks on single targets.

The issues are mostly for QL10+ geared people.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I kind of liked running them "for real" with strangers. The last boss can be hit or miss but the rest of the dungeon is pretty fun and pretty easy to complete even with a bad group.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Rookersh posted:

So I figured out why I was having problems :suicide:

I just went up to every questgiver, grabbed his quests, went down the list, then moved to the next, because I didn't want to run back and forth. And I went Survivor Camp up to Morninglight down to Norma, to Church, to Witchlady, etc.

So I was doing QL 2-3 quests with the starter stuff they give you, and now, as I'm doing the Witches quests, I'm far more powerful then these Revenants, so I'm wiping the floor with them thanks to Three Round Burst. I finally got to the drat ship, and I'm having no problems at all with it.

How would AR/Ele work out? I keep getting messages from Sonnac that make me want to start a Templar after this, and I keep pulling off MAD MAGIC SPELLS in cutscenes, so I kind of want to drop Shotguns for Ele, then just make a Shotgun/Blade Templar later. From a basic glanceover, it seems I'd be doing high damage/leeching on my Illuminati, and be a tank on my Templar.

AR/Ele is a viable endgame Nightmare spec and is also a good option for the NY raid because of its extreme long range. That said, there's no need to roll an alt for mechanics reasons. Your character can learn every weapon and ability in the game and do everything.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

orcane posted:

Also, they've said that may come back in some form. Nothing stops them from reusing the code to spawn Ak'ab on us every holiday season

Just what we need: the annoying mechanics of the event without the lore framework and cool once-in-a-lifetime plot device.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
It may just be a matter of finding builds that work better post-patch, but this patch seems to have hit my DPS pretty hard. It turns 18s into a slog, so if we can't find better-performing ways to do this my interest in continuing the grind gets hit pretty hard too.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I'm not sure. The obvious one is Extra Bullet, which I replaced after some discussion with Hugh, but I wouldn't have expected it to drop that much. I don't know what else is going on.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

JayJay posted:

I guess I should also mention, the story/cutscenes are pretty great as well. They make SWTOR voice acting/storylines look amateur. I also really enjoy the slightly more open world aspect, i've just been running around doing random quests without even realizing ive probably skipped half the quests in another area.

This is actually what you're meant to do. One of the design goals for the game was to avoid the standard MMO "quest hub" design and instead always have something new to do near the end of whatever you just finished doing. They reportedly took it seriously enough that play testers were instructed to report the absence of such a nearby quest as a bug.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

OneEightHundred posted:

Apparently the 1.7 patch shat up the combat numbers or something, nightmare enemies are blocking a lot more and getting penetrated a lot less, even and everyone's DPS is suffering a lot as a result. As in, way beyond what would be explained by the multi-hit nerf.

Well, that would explain a lot.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

HughGRect posted:

Looks like we are getting an anniversary event:

• There is a flare gun, no clue what it does.
  • A T-shirt
  • Nine bosses to kill, with titles. The theme is guardians of Gaia.
  • 13 new pets - 1 for each of the bosses (no clue on drop rate yet, 4 others)
  • Some new lore
  • A ton of new clothes, not sure when they will get released.

^^^^^Every 10,000 xp is 5 tokens, sometimes it bugs out and gives 10. Every battle rank is 50,000xp.

Sweet. Any word on when it goes live?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

JayJay posted:

:goonsay:

Except that I have a full time job, and limited gaming hours. So I prefer to spend my TSW time killing zombies and demons, rather than learning latin, music composition and a bunch of poo poo I only need to get through for a huge XP boost to help me kill zombies and demons faster. Guess I am just non-repenting cheater scum.

I do the quest steps that are straight forward, find an abandoned car, follow a GPS, follow a map using a monocle, etc. But I sure as hell am not going to spend hours trying to figure out circuits, glyphs and obscure secret access codes.

To me the stuff you do is the bog-standard filler and the stuff you skip past is what sets the game apart. The investigations, along with the lore, are what make the game for me.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Cleretic posted:

So, we got the tactical earpiece, and I think they made the best possible choice.

We actually get two: One right earpiece ripped straight off of the Orochi field agents (this was actually the one I was championing), and a reasonably bigger left earpiece modeled after military equipment. Sadly, we aren't seeing a car phone taped to the head and strapped to the hip, although I did want that.

Frankly, I'm just happy that it's visible without having to squint.

I'm going to transfer all my hatred to you as a representation of the rest of the RPers.

EDIT: whoops wrong thread, thanks Frankie

guppy fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jul 2, 2013

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I have had near-zero time to play myself, so hopefully I can get in on some of that as well. I'll be around tonight but not for a good chunk of the weekend.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
This Scorched Desert boss is dumb as poo poo even by Funcom standards. Framerate is actually pretty good, shockingly, even though the others aren't, so the AOEs aren't that big a problem, but he has such a nasty damage-on-hit effect that three or four builders is enough to kill me.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Fewd posted:

Wouldn't be too bad if pubbie healers weren't dumb as gently caress. All they need to do is stand there and spam shelter to create spots for dps to stay alive at but nope.

Some of them do, but it isn't enough unless a bunch are doing it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Toshimo posted:

Literally the worst post in this thread. This event is just fine. The only major issue was Fusang which has theoretically been mitigated. Otherwise it is clearly a success. People of all QLs are getting to participate and the rewards are good.

I have to agree with him actually. It's not hard to get through the fights, but it's a miserable experience with sub-1-FPS framerates, easy griefing on some of them, and terribly long fights to try to get things with low drop rates.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Reverend Dr posted:

A person's perspective almost exactly coincides with what their framerate is like during those boss fights. Even with lowest settings and the console command to disable as much graphical effects as possible, I still only get a listed value of 1FPS. Actually before that I still got a listed value of 1FPS, but it was actually so low that I couldn't activate skills. As it currently takes me about 30 seconds to do one rotation of building and consuming with lowest values, I'm predicting my actual framerate to be .33-.5FPS.

I can pull ~3KDPS in nightmares, but for these bosses I can't even get 500DPS (actually floats around 350DPS, haven't broken 400). With 15mil HP, adding 500 DPS to a 10 min fight makes it 11 seconds shorter, only 6 seconds shorter for a 7 min fight. I just accept that I am making no contribution, equip HP gear so I don't get one-shotted as often, and use a self targeted anima shot exclusively. Actually I should look at the ability to tag the boss and then run off elsewhere to get the kill. This might actually improve everyone's performance as that's one less person for their client to draw and with that many people, its entirely possible that me not being there is far more than a meager 500DPS improvement for the whole group.

Really they should have just instanced these guys for 5-10 man groups, it would have saved so many headaches and they could have made far more interesting fights.

But if you don't like them, don't do them. This certainly isn't a zero-sum situation and adding in this content didn't delay or push back the next issue or tokyo or anything, so any complaints about this are automatically invalid.

Yeah I'm exactly like you. My framerate is sub-1 FPS during these things and it's absurd.

And I don't want to do them. I did them for the achievements and that's good. But they've got all these desirable, limited-time drops. And they all have low droprates. So I do them despite hating them. You don't want this to happen, you don't set the event up like this.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

So was "anniversity" supposed to be a joke or is there just really no loving hope for people?

Also: Is there a way to pull your group into a solo instance? Kingsmouth and Savage Coast seem to have exclusively solo instances, and running in a group of three means I have to hope the other two people can complete the quest on their own (which isn't the case). It's annoying and it really throws a wrench into our teaming up.

Some work that way, some don't. Just have to try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Using the "meet up" thing?

Yes.

I feel a little better about the event now. It's still a pain in the rear end and needlessly grindy, but I've got all three Kingsmouth pets and glowing green eyes now. They don't work with the horsehead, unfortunately, but show us your best glowing green eye outfits.

This is my favorite so far, Chaos Theorist deck uniform with Ninja deck mask:

More experimenting to come, I haven't got time for more Pretty Pretty Princess just now.

• Locked thread