Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

guppy posted:

Don't be lovely. It's a perfectly fine build and there's no reason not to repost it, it's just not the only option.

That's the reason to not post it. People see only one build listed in the OP and the implication is that its either the only way to go, or its far superior to any other option. The build itself isn't completely horrible, but its not any better than any other inner circle builds for any other two weapons. We have had many people come in saying that they wanted to run other weapons but felt compelled because this one build was presented as the one build to rule them all and that is not a good thing.

It also doesn't help that every reason listed under "why blades/chaos/fist" is wrong or irrelevant and that "efficient SP spending" is anything but that.

Reverend Dr fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Before it gets deleted

Joel Bylos is always
working at his office regularly and diligently, without
wasting time chatting with colleagues. He never
refuses to spend time to help others and yet he
finishes his projects on time. Very often, he extends
his hours to complete his work, sometimes skipping
coffee breaks. He is a person who has absolutely no
vanity in spite of his outstanding achievements and his high
computer skills. He is the kind of person everybody
speaks with great esteem and respect, the kind of person you can’t
dismiss. I firmly believe that he is ready for the
promotion he asks for, considering everything he brings to the
door. Funcom will emerge stronger.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

guppy posted:

That build is not for group content, it's for soloing and it is pretty good for that. There are of course other options which is why that build is not in the loving OP and no one is saying it should be so I don't understand why people are saying that it is.

Its not in the OP, but its in one of the first replies, presented as something that was in the old OP, should be in the OP, is the first build given, is presented as an optimal leveling build, and the only other build on the first page is specifically presented as a final build.

Sjonkel posted:

It's nice to hear that any build can work.

This is what is better to tell new players. Now not any build will work, but any build that makes sense and has passives that support the active skills will work for leveling content just fine. The whole "blue mountain is a test of your build/you might need a better build" really just means that around Blue Mountain you need to stop bringing dumb stuff that makes no sense; I mean this is the most general sense, not in any sense of sperg math min-max. Not everyone is going to want to blow through zone content to get to the endgame. I'd say more people are going to enjoy the zone/story part of the game far more than endgame dungeon grinding and they will enjoy it more if they are running something that they enjoy rather than something someone else enjoys.

Aside from that

quote:

Why Blades/Fist/Chaos?

I actually recommended this for a number of very good reasons.
1 - They have very solo-friendly abilities.

No more so than any other weapon. Blade/Fist/Chaos's best solo abilities are expensive and out of the way even for this build. Also their effectiveness is really no better than any other weapons solo abilities except for AR which Blade/Fist/Chaos cannot even compare to the solo-friendly abilities in AR's inner circle.

2 - They have several nice passives that you can take to your other weapon trees if you decide you don't like them.

Every weapon has nice passives for other trees, this isn't unique to blades or chaos. For endgame optimization there are certain passives, but those are just not necessary for leveling and going for those pigeon holds a player even more than this build does

3 - Melee are naturally better for solo missions/grinding because they start with full resources.

For grinding this is true in terms of kills over time. You also shouldn't be grinding. For general ability to kill mobs this is false. While you start at 5 resources, you have to melee while a ranged character can build those 5 resources before mobs close distance. This means that while it takes longer (specifically 5 seconds to build resources) both range and melee with have full resources when mobs start to do damage and range have 5 builders worth of damage over melee.

4 - They lead toward tanking/healing which means you aren't sitting around for literal hours waiting for groups.

Shift + C brings up the group finder. Its not used for Nightmare Dungeons, but is plenty used for normal dungeons. I've never had hours long waits for normal dungeons as a pure DPS. I tanked the first time through and didn't notice a significant difference in the time it took to get a group. Also get on mumble and we'll do dungeons with you with far faster group formation, faster dungeon completion, and no dumb pubbies screwing everything up. Its also a great idea to tell people to play a role that they don't enjoy just to be able to progress.

5 - They have generally more and better than average CC.

They have Impairs rather than hinders. If you are already in melee range impairs are better at preventing mobs from doing stuff. If you are at range, hinders are better at preventing mobs from doing stuff. I took less damage (usually none) leveling as a glass cannon with hinders than as a melee with impairs. At worst this is wrong, at best its only good for a particular playstyle. It also shortchanges the other abilities that other weapons can bring

How do I effectively spend my SP?

Ralts already talked about this briefly. This is just flat out wrong. It makes gear progression take longer, makes swapping weapons harder, and doesn't address things like Blue Mountain and Egypt token vendors for weapons.

Chaos is a different beast, though. Escalation is like having your cake and eating it too. It's so very, amazingly good, that you want to use it pretty much always.

A long time ago Escalation was this great, but things have changed. Currently it is literally identical to blade torrent which he bemoans as a terrible skill. Outside of a dungeon group it is also identical to bamboo cutter. Its passive Intensity is never worth taking over breakdown.

So, your bar should look like this after your first 42 AP.

This is a statement that should never be told to new players.

The only things from his entire build/strategy that should ever be told to a new player are about Lick Your Wounds, which he fails to mention should be phased out during Savage Coast, and eat Tacos. Neither of these at all relate to the build itself he posted. Its atrocious to in any way promote a build that hasn't accounted for 6 months of game change (probably more actually, it was just posted 6 months ago) and will at best be on par with any build created by someone that is merely competent at video games.

orcane posted:

Tanks as mini DPS with hammers, I think. They still use Clearing the Path though, +40% penetrate chance is still a lot.

It's not tanking with Cold Blooded, that's for sure. Or is it, Rasheed?

We understand the game mechanics far better now. Tanks use less stat budget to get better mitigation. [Some] Tanks deliberately take less HP to get more use from Ablation, increasing both damage and EHP. Hammer always did more damage (also applies debilitate faster) than Chaos or Blades, but until Changes to Crimson Theatre, Clearing the Path, and not having Escalation be the only way to apply exposed were made, hammer just couldn't be used. CtP is still the only blade consumer. Its higher single target and AoE damage than any other blade consumer

Also Rasheed is looking into the Cold Blooded on DPS meta. It almost worked for Machine Tyrant.

Reverend Dr fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 4, 2013

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Len posted:

It's actually a pretty stale hell. You've been gone quite some time.

Oh, we have plenty of room to fool around with. Actually we have far more than every other role combined.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

I will Ele/Blood tank now, thank you very much.

Also other than the people that bother learn the game, blades/chaos is still the undisputed best meta ever nothing comes close. And that is still a pretty drat large segment of the playerbase.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

The Templar are a fandom that hates newer members because the new members are what ruined it and everyone is trying to remember and relive the glory days; the glory days that no one else gives a poo poo about.

Illuminati embrace everything "hip" and "cool" so they can hide that they maintain a rigid hierarchy of a DKP system to determine one's social value and can't see that their functionally retarded creation is smart enough to not trust them.

The Council of Venice are the parents of these manchildren that have been driven to alcoholism and drug use.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

I'd consider a "these are the gold standard of passives for NM play" because the list is actually fairly short and we can agree on it, probably standard builders/consumers as well. It should go without saying that they won't be completely optimal for every build and every stat spread, but one should know specifically why they are deviating. Though a wiki sounds like a loving horrible idea that will be ill maintained and constantly out of date.

Also Orochi is a CIA extension designed specifically to 'handle' the templar/illuminati/dragon. All of their evil activities are specifically embellished by themselves (also through CIA 'leaks' to the societies) to cast a shadow over their real purpose which is to keep the societies busy with something that doesn't matter rather than have them actually affecting society. Most Orochi personnel don't know this and believe that Orochi has a sinister purpose the same as the societies do.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Are we talking about the Nightmare mobs/missions or Nightmare Dungeons?

Actually I'm not sure it matters because AR/Ele can do the zone stuff and its also one of the meta standard group DPS builds. So, no matter what he's fine. (Though branching out into other weapons is never a bad idea)

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Zephro posted:

See, I was/am kind of directionless, and if there's a top three most-efficient levelling builds, I'd love to know about them!

Really the first time you play through it is more fun to play what you just want to play rather than trying to go for something 'optimal' while leveling. There is just no reason to want to rush through the absolute best part of the game to reach the lackluster grindy endgame faster.

I'm not kidding, jumping into 'optimal sperg attitude' before Nightmare content can really take away from the really well done story and missions.

Last chance, there's no turning back.
You have been warned.

There is only one build that for leveling is noticeably more efficient than any other for leveling. I use "build" in a very loose sense as its really only a handfull of actual skills.

Assault Riffle/X (really anything else is likely to be just as good as the next)
Safety Off 1pt - This is the highest damage builder in the game, even though its passive is due to be slightly nerfed in 1.7, that won't change a thing for leveling.
Three Round Burst 9pt - This is AR's single target consumer
Suppressing Fire 9pt - The go-to AoE builder, quite possibly all the AoE you will ever need
Lock and Load 4pt(?) - Push button get consumer. Great for short fights, great for sustained damage on long fights. Its great.
Anima Shot 4pt(?) - When all else fails and the enemy is too strong, swap this builder for Safety Off. Now you do damage and heal yourself at the same time. No need to change gear for solo. It only builds AR resources (told you any other weapon would be as good as the next), does less damage, makes fights take longer, but it gives you the ability to kill things that are way the hell stronger than you should be able to kill
For Passives, just bring stuff that makes sense (the passives for Safety Off and Anima Shot make sense, as does the +10% AR damage)

Also your stats. Until you reach the higher levels of endgame gear, you don't have a budget for Crit Rating or Crit Power, you will get better damage gains from focusing only on Hit and Penetration. You can put Q10 level glyphs into any Qlevel of equipment. We have metric shittons of Q10 glyph kits lying around. You really shouldn't need to do all that many gear upgrades. Get gear from dungeons, Polaris Q3, Hell Raised Q5(though maybe skip HR), Darkness War Q6 (and blue Q6 weapons from Blue Mountain sequin vendor), Ahnk Q8(and blue Q8 weapons from City of Sun God sequin vendor). (Hell Fallen is Q9, but blue Q8 gear is approximately the same as green Q10 which is the starting gear level of the post zone content).

Congratulations you have now looked behind the curtain. There is a little man crunching numbers on a spreadsheet, that is the real game of TSW. You can't unsee it now.

Reverend Dr fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 5, 2013

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Note on signets: Don't ever use benediction. The signet itself has a very minor effect, but that's not why it shouldn't be used. The signet is bugged and will occasionally (~10% of the time) make the defensive target take double damage from the next attack. The small bonus to mitigation it provides is completely negated by this and it can create awful situations where the tank gets 1-shotted. Having no signet is vastly preferable to having benediction.

Funcom.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

OneEightHundred posted:

... so Live Wire is only 6% better than One in the Chamber, a non-elite? Was that done for PvP or something?

I'm pretty sure it always worked that way actually.

It used to be considered the best DPS passive. But at the same time player knowledge about optimization improved, gear got better, and many better alternatives popped up. Stacking defense used to be considered the most optimal way to tank.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

The "best" DPS passives is Fluid Defense, which is 8% versus Twist The Knife (9%), Ferocity (9%), and Lethality (10%), so it kind of goes with the general theme.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

fullTimeLurker posted:

It might actually be worth using a condenser since you get 2 instead of one. And running 18's gets you 18 more bullion. With the lockouts it won't really change much of anything. Now what funcom REALLY needs to do is make an ALL ASTRAL FUSE weekend. Nothing but astral fuses drop from both lair bosses. Now THAT would be something that I'd get excited about.

Seems like they didn't get enough people buying condensers. Even doubling the BB from them is hardly enough to make it worthwhile. It might seem somewhat useful for someone with very little BB or custom gear, but once you get a few pieces of custom (like a week of gameplay), then the extra BB from condensers is just not worth it and you'll likely regret buying condensers over buying a sombrero. (BB is only temporary, Sombreros are forever [or 3D glasses]).

ASTRAL FUSE WEEKEND! If you don't play all day every day, then you get behind and can't catch up, but that doesn't really matter because everyone that did has nothing left to get so they quit.

Reverend Dr fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 12, 2013

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

DanimalJenkins posted:

Tonight after I get back from taking my car to the shop, I'm going to try and take down the Gatekeeper. I tried twice last night, his third initial attack nicked me both times. I was ALMOST out of the circle before it popped. Oh well. This is going to be expensive.

There is no repair cost to dying to Gatekeeper. The need for consumables as a tank is overexaggerated and is more likely another issue in your build/gear (there are weird effects of AR and HP on tank damage, which does matter significantly in that fight).

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Cheston posted:

I'm definitely gonna make a wiki now. Please suggest domain names/titles, because I can't think of anything to register and I don't want to wait and see if the obvious domain names expire.

HughGRect posted:

FreeEvilBillMurray.com

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Is this feasible?

For zone content, anything is feasible.

Take passives and actives that "make sense". That's all you really need to do. Bring passives that affect the skills you use, don't bring passives that don't affect the skills you use (its amazing how many people end up not doing this). Remember that passives work regardless of equipped weapon (unlike actives which require particular weapons), so you can pull passives from all of the weapon trees.

For melee in particular Breakdown in one of the chaos trees applies exposed on every melee weapon hit, which becomes the largest damage increase in the game.

Just don't try to do everything. You cannot heal and tank and do damage all at the same time. For the most part in zone content, a HP piece (or an extra HP piece) is going to give you more survivability than trying to spec into healing.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

orcane posted:

In terms of design theory, nerfing the one that stands out is usually the safer bet than buffing the 80% that are not working as well

While this is true, the other 80% of the cleanses are just garbage; it isn't just that CU is so much better than the rest, CU is the largely the only usable one compared to all of the rest. Purges are in a better places than cleanses, though this is not due to the skills that actually perform the function, its because there are no obnoxious mechanics to purge similar to lifeburn. After coming from GW1 I am almost always in favor of nerfing a small number of outlyers rather than trying to buff skills (a skill nerf is effectively a buff to every other skill), but this is just not one of those cases as there is no replacement for CU.

The problem really lies in the MT fight itself. There are plenty of ways to make the lifeburn part of it far more interesting mechanically, while also giving the players ways to deal with it other than just stacking cleanses. Such as having MT alternate between Molten Metal and an Arcane Halo that stacks lifeburn.

Frankenstein Dad posted:

Blood healing is what's really in need of attention. It can't stand up to fist or assault rifle at all. Outside of Slaughterhouse or abusing Cold Blooded to pull aggro, it's well below par for anything other than supplementing a poorly geared fist healer. And pistol does a better job of that, anyway.

This exactly. Mathematically blood is designed to mitigate the same amount of damage as fist healing, the barrier + healing portion of blood is in line with the heal + HoT portion of fist. However the barrier must be applied before damage, while the heal must be applied after damage. For DPS this means blood is strictly less effective than fist, as using blood before a DPS takes damage will lose the healing portion and using blood after a DPS takes damage means losing the barrier portion (making pushing the bars back up take longer). It wouldn't be as bad on the tank that regularly takes damage, but blood shields don't stack with themselves, which means using multiple builders on the tank will lose the barrier portion of the effect on any fight where the tank isn't being constantly hit, which is most fights. Kind of unfortunate because Exquisite Corpse is a loving fantastic skill that is just stuck in a lovely weapon tree.

But that isn't all of the problems. Finish the Movement is highly likely to be a super loving overpowered passive with blood. It isn't that great for the pistol/sword focus skills, but since blood consumers use specific numbers of resource points, FtM can let blood just churn out so many extra consumers. I've seen both very high DPS bloodshot spam builds as well as bloodshot healing with exquisite corpse every other cast. And then there is the aggro mechanic of shields that just makes no sense. For some reason healing seems to be 1/2 the aggro of damage, the leech portion of healing is even less than that, and neither proc any aggro on overheal, while shields always get full aggro and seem to have 1.5X the aggro of damage (x3 the aggro of healing).

orcane posted:

Actually, because one "class" that is mini-DPS and a full healer and another that can only heal really well requires niches for the pure healers or their preferred gameplay becomes non-viable in challenging content.

This is something that they are just going to have to deal with in some shape form or fashion. As soon as leech healing is sufficient to keep the party alive, then leech healing is superior to fist/blood because the leecher is doing some damage as opposed to none. That isn't even considering that at high gear levels a leech healer's damage approaches a DPS's damage.

I know that Rhan and I started looking around for what other things a fist/blood healer can do besides just heal, but had a hard time actually coming up with anything particularly useful. They can apply debilitate with the fist blast attack. They can bring impairs instead of the tank, cleanses/purges, finalfuse, but ultimately the best direction we could see a fist/blood healer going is in a direction towards healtanking. Healtank + 4DPS looks better than Tank + 3DPS + healer, but is far inferior to Tank + 3DPS + leech. And even if leech got a massive nerf, I'd still imagine Tank + 2DPS + 2Leech to still be better than healtank + 4DPS.

It also really doesn't help that fist/blood are just completely saturated with their stats (in high DR for the only stats that matter to their function, crit, crit power, HR) while AR is not at all saturated, still getting large benefits from all of its stats that are either not in DR or not in high levels of DR.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

orcane posted:

That aggro oddity with shields would explain a few aggro mishaps I've experienced in elites recently.

Its great that so many times the best moment to cast Cold Blooded for its effect is oftentimes the worst moment to cast it because of the aggro.

orcane posted:

You could give that function to the anima "well" so people have to clear their stacks before MT is dragged over it and cleaves everything (or wait for the next one to spawn). At least it would be hilarious to watch but people would probably rather bring CU than that :haw:

Have MT stack lifeburn whenever it gets to a well, but also have lifeburn automatically fall off whenever the shield goes back up. So drat many ways to design the fight that don't involve the current lovely lifeburn mechanic.

Or have lifeburn only do damage while moving (or while standing still).

Or have lifeburn stacks last twice as long, but only half as many stacks applied.

Or have lifeburn automatically end on a dodge (roll on the ground).

Or have lifeburn be very short (like 5 seconds) and automatically reapply itself when you use a skill.

Or gently caress lifeburn entirely, remove the KD effect from the seekers, have the seekers do ~1500 damage, and triple the number of seekers (had MT once triple the number of seekers and it was pretty fun for the first part of the fight).

Reverend Dr fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 20, 2013

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

I think its stupid that there are so many actives and passives that rely on hinder/impair when its something that lasts 1/4 of a second, you shouldn't do, and if you did do it can wipe the party.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Hey Cheston. Some of us on the forums think we have found a bug where the Whisper of Darkness damage in the raid is no longer being reduced by debilitate, physical protection, or major ward. This might explain a few things about the raids this last month, because even at our worst, Rhan and I are doing better swapping than some of the smooth and successful (aside from the tank swap) runs Plat and I did a few months prior.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Toshimo posted:

Whisper of Darkness was never affected by Debilitate. Probably not by Major Ward either. It should be affected by Physical Protection and I have some old parses that clearly show that it was at one point.

There are plenty of parses that show that it was affected by debilitate at one point.

Cheston posted:

I remember this as well. Rev, let's compare you and Rhan's Phys protection before the next raid and see how it goes. We kept changing because the effect seemed to vary, so.... mystery?

While there aren't many runs involved, it sure as hell doesn't look like any of the tank stats actually mitigate damage on the lurker at all. DPS tanking has always been the only way. At least I get to slot crit and crit power now.

Reverend Dr fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 21, 2013

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

extraordinary posted:

Combat is interesting, though I think I have to rebind the controls a little.

I am working on two weapons like suggested, but to be honest I am only using AR right now,

Bind your builder to spacebar. Its the most readily accessible key and you will mash your builder an awful lot.

AR is good and can do the whole game completely by itself. Also early on, with less of the skills filled out, you will just not have as much to pull from for your weapons; its definitely not uncommon to get the feel that you are hardly using your secondary. Though definitely keep a consumer for your secondary weapon, you are building those resources anyway, might as well get use out of them (well, unless you are using anima shot exclusively as your builder since that only generate AR resources, if you are doing that consider putting in another builder or a second builder [anima shot is a 'healing' skill and like all healing skills only generates resources for its weapon, while all damage builders generate resources for both weapons, but anima shot is also really good solo])

As you move into Egypt you will get significantly more AP/SP and be much more able to change up weapons if you want. It just doesn't seem that way when running around the first few zones.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Toshimo posted:

Did you get Whisper of Darkness testing done last night?

We got started late, so no testing. Also one-shotted the boss. Still appears that no defensive stats, nor debilitate are worth anything on the raid.

Rookersh posted:

So, I did /chat join awful, and am in channel #awful, but nobody else seems to be in it. Is it just usually dead around 2:30pm pacific time, or did I mess something up?

Hardly anyone uses awful or cabal chat. Its all mumble at this point.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Cleretic posted:

the majority of the playerbase (any playerbase, actually) wants to be Good Guys.

At the same time, they did a pretty poor job of letting us know there was even a choice for the first dreaming (without going offsite, which the vast majority won't do), and also did a poor job of demonstrating how to make the 'good' final choice. Before someone goes off on how I'm full of poo poo and the choices were very clear, I'm talking about pubbies here; pubbies are going to make the 'evil' choice at 1 and 3 because there is no way they could stumble onto the 'good' actions (unless I'm underestimating the number of people that fell asleep with auto-run on at the first choice).

But that's okay, everyone wants to side with the filth.

Dragon: Handler, "[Chaos or something, says a bunch of words that can be used to fit any situation]" I haven't listened to this guy, but everything I've heard sounds like they stick their fingers into things just to see what happens.

Illuminati: Geary, "Oh, this group has harnessed the powers of the filth without the adverse reactions that we've seen everywhere else and you have initiated an alliance with them? That's just... absolutely wonderful. We'll use that alliance as a front to study them from the inside and take all of their knowledge and power for our own. Just a second... Alright, I've slated in that we will have complete control of the filth by 3rd quarter of next year."

Templar: Sonnac, "This is not an alliance. It is best we open the door to purge this evil once and for all rather than seal them up in a time bomb that will explode on another generation... or something like that. It hardly matters, if there is a box or a door, some idiot will always open it; Heaven help us if its a button. If there is a Hell then we're going to have to storm it and kill satan. *sighs* That's just always how these things always work."

Reverend Dr fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 28, 2013

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Frankenstein Dad posted:

I'd say it's actually more poetic if the reason Tokyo is hosed is because people are stupid.

Bees are well known for their good decision making.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Len posted:

This isn't the first time Funcoms done that so you really shouldn't be acting surprised. There's a reason Funcompetence is in the thread title.

Don't forget the update note that its a Funcom update, so the RDB file structure will always reduce performance on your end.

Its actually gotten pretty bad for me. I've lost damage while tanking when the only thing affected by the patch were the signet changes. I'm pretty drat sure its a server/performance issue rather than numbers. Reinstall TSW every patch.

Reverend Dr fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 28, 2013

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Fasheem posted:

After being required to solve the light/sound puzzle twice just to get to the last choice, which is either to do it a third time or uh... something else (spoilers?) I have a hard time imagining how someone would accidently gently caress up Tokyo because they didn't know what to do when they just did it twice already. Path of least resistance would seem to be saving the world in this case.

Counterpoint: Pubbies. Which do you think a pubbie is more likely to do first, solve the final puzzle, or hit an attack button?

Also you can sort of finish the quest without solving a single/light sound puzzle. It doesn't actually finish the quest, so you have to go do it again. I made the final choice at least 5 times. No idea if all of them "counted" or just the final one. I did get to see all of the endings on one character though.

quote:

I actually wanted to ask... am I the only one who solved it three times within a few minutes each just by clicking randomly? I looked up a walkthrough after and have no idea what that person was talking about.

Aside from randomly clicking it can be solved 2 different ways (trust me, I've done this more than anyone else). For the first two there is only 1 broken node and for the second there are always 2 nodes, each are always in the same place. When the lights fly up they make a noise, if the node is broken then it makes a static sound. Or you can just say gently caress that because the broken nodes look different than the normal nodes.

Slig posted:

Using quantum abilities no longer causes item shortcuts to disappear

Looks like the code for the quantum was also created by Edgar.

Reverend Dr fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 29, 2013

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Cleretic posted:

Sadly, we aren't seeing a car phone taped to the head and strapped to the hip, although I did want that.

If they're smart, they'll add that to the cash shop. And let you wear it with the horsemask.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=71615

Morteia posted:

We’ve done this dance once already, so let’s just cut to the chase. July 5th is going to come around, and, well, I’m not going to be here anymore. That’s right, as of July 5th, I will no longer be working for Funcom or be your Community Manager.

Who the gently caress is this?

Oh, its a Community Manager with 18 total posts last month.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Not So Fast posted:

GW2, as much as I complain, built itself from the ground up for world events like this, and works really well.

They've done a good bit to modify it sense release, but most of us remember terribly laggy events and the horrible culling.

The reality is that no one's game engine is really designed for 100+ people all in one place at the same time.

Len posted:

That was me. Black hole and reality fracture. Had my little golem summoned. I was trying to break things.

But doesn't epicenter cause more frame rate reduction? I was thinking Epicenter + Suppressing Fire should be the go-to.

Nombres posted:

True enough. Still, though, unless you have a shocking amount of alts on at once, I don't think you can hog the credit. If only they were - your multitasking would be legendary, goddamn.

It was him. Just him. Be sure to pass that on to Joel.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Ran in, saw people swinging at air for a few minutes, a thing the size of a house phased in, couldn't activate skills at all, suddenly died. This is exactly like Karka.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Horsemask + Smile

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

guppy posted:

I have to agree with him actually. It's not hard to get through the fights, but it's a miserable experience with sub-1-FPS framerates, easy griefing on some of them, and terribly long fights to try to get things with low drop rates.

A person's perspective almost exactly coincides with what their framerate is like during those boss fights. Even with lowest settings and the console command to disable as much graphical effects as possible, I still only get a listed value of 1FPS. Actually before that I still got a listed value of 1FPS, but it was actually so low that I couldn't activate skills. As it currently takes me about 30 seconds to do one rotation of building and consuming with lowest values, I'm predicting my actual framerate to be .33-.5FPS.

I can pull ~3KDPS in nightmares, but for these bosses I can't even get 500DPS (actually floats around 350DPS, haven't broken 400). With 15mil HP, adding 500 DPS to a 10 min fight makes it 11 seconds shorter, only 6 seconds shorter for a 7 min fight. I just accept that I am making no contribution, equip HP gear so I don't get one-shotted as often, and use a self targeted anima shot exclusively. Actually I should look at the ability to tag the boss and then run off elsewhere to get the kill. This might actually improve everyone's performance as that's one less person for their client to draw and with that many people, its entirely possible that me not being there is far more than a meager 500DPS improvement for the whole group.

Really they should have just instanced these guys for 5-10 man groups, it would have saved so many headaches and they could have made far more interesting fights.

But if you don't like them, don't do them. This certainly isn't a zero-sum situation and adding in this content didn't delay or push back the next issue or tokyo or anything, so any complaints about this are automatically invalid.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Aye Doc posted:

any chance someone still has a trial key to give? I've wanted to try this game for a while and sadly didn't see the $10 sale in time :(

QDNX4S8L7MEN9WRJLLNR

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Protagorean posted:

What computer are you using? The monolith from 2001: A Space Odyssey?

I have no clue. I'm in the horse head in that last screenshot and I saw like 3 frames the whole fight. Notice how I'm the only person *not* activating a skill.

VV

mkd131 posted:

but I'm pre-NM so I only contribute like 800 dps anyway.

I'm post-post-post NM and I can't break 400DPS on those fights.

Reverend Dr fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jul 7, 2013

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

HughGRect posted:

I plan to amend this post with numbers to support my case when I get home. The reasoning is that attack rating will hit diminished returns well before your weapon, when calculating combat power.

It does cost an extra 80 BB for 10.4.4 weapon over talisman. But it really depends on how you plan and make your gear. We usually want to go ahead and finish 10.4.4 a whole piece before moving on to the next one. However its the glyph stats that are the big increase to damage and they are much more important than AR or combat rating. Creating a 10.0.4 talisman is a much more efficient use of bullion (110 vs 190 for 10.4.4) as you will still get into the DR range for AR and increase the glyph budget.

Of course I'm probably overthinking the gently caress out of this and it probably won't matter more than 2-3 DPS while gearing up. We all still arrive at the same 10.4.4.

I'd say go ahead and get a good Head + Major (likely both with hit) at 10.4 first. The talisman's generalize to every weapon so they can be used in any build. This gives the player time to try some builds and weapons before they drop 270 bullion on a 10.4 custom weapon, which is a pretty hefty amount.

Actually a PSA I'd much rather give out is that glyph stats matter more than anything else. Use a 10.0 drop over a 10.2 if the 10.0 has the right stats and the 10.2 doesn't.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Len posted:

Sov-Tech is worth money? I've been sitting on a couple completed blueprints for months.

I have never seen a single soviet blueprint piece drop.

Man, if they were selling for only 2mil pax I would have bought some up in anticipation of this.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Toshimo posted:

For Hip Fire + Passive to exceed the value of Safety Off your ping would have to be so terrible that you'd just die to every AoE going off before you could see it, rendering your point moot.

So basically every Australian?

AR kind of has the unfortunate issue that Safety Off is one of the best builders, but it is practically the only AR builder worth using (well anima shot is good, but that's leech only).

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

guppy posted:

Don't let me mislead you -- we're all sons of bitches.

Maybe I'm just used to seeing people who really dislike the attitudes and management of those they work for, but long ago I started reading inbetween the lines with Sonac. I get the feeling that he really hates the colossal importance Templars place on their history, especially when that history contains so many atrocities that they overlook, the elitist nature of the older Templars that discourages new blood or ideas, how the Templars in general refuse to cooperate with Illuminati/Dragon on the most basic of levels, and everything else that everone hates the Templar for. Its just that because of his position he cannot officially acknowledge this and essentially has scripted responses to those issues. So, I tend to like Sonac more than most people do.

Though his mission debriefs for Issue 8 seem to be written a bit differently and I'm afraid whoever they got writing for him now didn't get the memo. I also kind of wish they took it a little farther and have Sonac become clearly more frustrated and jaded in the later missions making references like "Well of course the worst case scenario happened, that's how it always goes." or "You have gotten great results even though you cast aside the standard Templar conventions, which is more than I can say for our other 'field' agents loitering around London. Perhaps the Templar as a whole could learn from you." or "I need to remind you to only focus on the big picture not small issues, regardless of how useful and far-reaching the history of your results from small issues has shown."

I kind of got a similar feeling from Geary. She is playing the game and she is drat good at it, but I got the feeling that she thinks that overall the game is rather detrimental to their overall goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Lima posted:

I got 10 silver badge-wotsits on the ingame store, but I can't find any info where they're from or what I should do with them. I did notice a QL9 AR that costs exactly 10. Good purchase when I can use it?

Those are vet points. Gained 10 per month of subscription or 10 per friend referral code that makes a game purchase. They spend just like the regular cash shop currency, its just a different (smaller) selection of items.

The answer to any non-cosmetic item purchase from any part of the store is "no".

Okay there are a few exceptions such as the AP potions that double your AP gain (not the ones that straight up give AP, good gravy not those) and maybe a signet extractor when dealing with end game gear and expensive signets (95+% people burn out long before they reach that point of the endgame). But the weapons/talismans are loving awful. Look at the AH, gear of that quality is dirt cheap and its something you will likely outgrow the day you buy it.

Also after finishing 30 missions you will get 1200 bonus points ($10 worth) which function like funcom fun bucks for the other part of the in-game store. Those are typically best spent on the issues for access to the newer missions.

• Locked thread