Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirspankalot
Oct 17, 2004

They gonna frack over there right next to your baby??? What about the earthquakes and contaminated everything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

sirspankalot posted:

They gonna frack over there right next to your baby??? What about the earthquakes and contaminated everything?

Not sure if you're joking or not but "yep". They still would have drilled over there had I not signed the lease, I'm a piddly 1.14 acres in a ~1000 acre grouping. On the bright side, I think oil prices falling dramatically has slowed them down, nothing has happened since they created the pad, though it could be too cold to drill or they have business elsewhere. This was taken this morning:

There really hasn't been much of anything happening on the house front, just trying to keep this out of the archives. I've been hanging out in the basement occasionally and that just makes me annoyed at all the work that needs to happen down there someday

sirspankalot
Oct 17, 2004

I read somewhere that oil has to be above $80 in order for fracking to be profitable. You may be safe for a while, looks like there's enough supply to keep it around $50 for the next couple of years. Hopefully Tesla will be the new jesus by then and your babby will not turn mutant.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

http://stateimpact.npr.org/oklahoma/tag/earthquakes/

Edit: there's a loud group of conservatives that blame "the gays" for the increase in earthquakes.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

sirspankalot posted:

I read somewhere that oil has to be above $80 in order for fracking to be profitable. You may be safe for a while, looks like there's enough supply to keep it around $50 for the next couple of years. Hopefully Tesla will be the new jesus by then and your babby will not turn mutant.

Whatever the circumstances, I'll take it. Talking to a neighbor's daughter, she mentioned someone local has a lawsuit going, which may also be putting things on hold.

Unfortunately, the assault on my beautiful view out back has not stopped. We got home a couple weeks ago and loving god-damned shitfuck asshell Verizon put a new celltower about ~600' from my back yard. God drat does that loving poo poo ever ruin my view. I have VZW through work and previously had "full bars" at my house so this is literally pointless for me, anyway. gently caress you Verizon.

To add to my surly mood about where I live, the local school board just approved a "surprise" $40M high school renovation, so our property taxes will be hiked quite a bit to pay for that. They was a motion to put the renovation on hold because this was pretty much out of nowhere, but it was shot down. Should 8 volunteers (the school board) really have that kind of power? Jesus christ.

Work on the house front has been mostly non-existent, work and two kids really murders any spare time and money I have. I had an emergency kitchen faucet replacement to do last weekend, the old one was spraying water every which way. Getting the old one out was a PITA but putting the new one in was really easy. Happy to have a nice working faucet, though :)

I'm looking into doing some landscaping this year, ours is just plain god awful. I'm talking to a co-worker to see if she can give me any direction to go in terms of what plants/bushes or whatever to do. I'm not sure how much money I want to throw at this yet because I haven't really planned for it so I may be doing some of these things in stages between this year and next. Really everything just need ripped out and start from scratch, but I don't think I have the budget for that right now.

Tomorrow I'm heading to a friend's house to help him put down some laminate flooring. I'm also stopping by my parent's house to claim my canoe and bring some kayaks up for my best friend's bachelor party next weekend. It's supposed to be absolutely gorgeous weather tomorrow, so I'm pretty pumped to spend the day doing something constructive :toot:

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
After a long 4 days of work, I've put a dent on our lovely landscaping. Ever since we moved in, I've done pretty much nothing with the plants at our house. I think I mulched once, and when you have massive planting beds that's a recipe for disaster. I'm the kind of person who pretty much decides not to do anything until I talk to someone who can tell me what to do, and from there I'll take it. That's how I learned to drywall, for instance.

Here's our starting point. Everything is just really overgrown and past the point of saving.

These shrubs lining the driveway were a real whore to remove. I did it all by hand, which in hindsight was stupid. I should have just burnt the clutch out on my truck ripping these fucks out.

Another angle

Looking out towards the road, all the poo poo removed

Jumping way forward, here is all that crap ripped out, and our new plants laid out on the landscaping fabric

One of many mulch runs (more to come)

Finished product. I think it looks great aside from all the plants being hilariously tiny at this point.

Not pictured was a group of nuisance bushes / ground cover on the other side of the driveway. That was also removed, and I put down grass seed. I'll be doing the same thing along the driveway (starting where the mulch stops in the last picture going out towards the road and the front bed).

There is quite a bit of poo poo to do yet, but I'm please with where it is right now. Hopefully this will be a good starting point to build on in the coming years.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Take the time to enjoy it before the leaves ruin everything like they always do.

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007
My family has a vacation home in the poconos which reminds me of your house.

Wish I would have seen the post about the yard work earlier..

We had a very small porch, although out of wood, like yours, with bushes on both sides. Many years ago we eliminated one side of the landscaping and built a large wood deck.

This is the only picture I can find right now;

We also made a garden in the middle of the yard. I would suggest lining your mulch area with rocks/bricks to separate it from the grass.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I took a few more days off of work to finally finish the mulching out by the road. I had 5 scoops delivered and it was just enough.

Here's a better picture of the beds done last month by the house, everything seems to be doing ok

Here's the front bed that I was just working on along with some of the new grass coming in

Another panorama

In other home-improvement type news, I installed a new fancy thermostat to replace our old dumb one. I picked this one because it has a "continuous" fan mode which will run the fan up to 30 minutes of every hour, even if the heating or cooling system isn't running. This help circulate the air and keeps things feeling fresher. Our old thermostat wasn't even programmable so this is a big step up. I had considered the nest briefly, but one of the amazon reviewers, who claimed to be an HVAC installer said they use cheap internal components so there are fairly high failure rates.

Yesterday, my wife found our best craigslist score of all time, holy poo poo, I popped over and for $60 I got this massive thing:

These things are called rokenbok and they're loving awesome and super expensive. Years ago I went into a education store and they had these toys setup and I must have spent 20 minutes playing with them. They're basically a bunch of RC little construction type vehicles have have different functions. They're well built and quite tough. On the controllers you can quickly change between the different vehicles, so you're not stuck driving on of the vehicles. There are a few pieces missing, but nothing mission critical. I don't even pretend to claim that these are for my son, this is all me!

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

dreesemonkey posted:

I took a few more days off of work to finally finish the mulching out by the road. I had 5 scoops delivered and it was just enough.

Here's a better picture of the beds done last month by the house, everything seems to be doing ok

Here's the front bed that I was just working on along with some of the new grass coming in

Another panorama

In other home-improvement type news, I installed a new fancy thermostat to replace our old dumb one. I picked this one because it has a "continuous" fan mode which will run the fan up to 30 minutes of every hour, even if the heating or cooling system isn't running. This help circulate the air and keeps things feeling fresher. Our old thermostat wasn't even programmable so this is a big step up. I had considered the nest briefly, but one of the amazon reviewers, who claimed to be an HVAC installer said they use cheap internal components so there are fairly high failure rates.

Yesterday, my wife found our best craigslist score of all time, holy poo poo, I popped over and for $60 I got this massive thing:

These things are called rokenbok and they're loving awesome and super expensive. Years ago I went into a education store and they had these toys setup and I must have spent 20 minutes playing with them. They're basically a bunch of RC little construction type vehicles have have different functions. They're well built and quite tough. On the controllers you can quickly change between the different vehicles, so you're not stuck driving on of the vehicles. There are a few pieces missing, but nothing mission critical. I don't even pretend to claim that these are for my son, this is all me!

I remember the rich kid toystore had this setup. those things are dope.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

PuTTY riot posted:

I remember the rich kid toystore had this setup. those things are dope.
My mum worked at the rich kid toy store when I was a kid. I played with the Rokenbok table loving constantly. It was a good day when they put that in.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I'm fairly embarrassed. I started this thread over two years ago, with my first large project being the closet addition to our living room. Until now, this past week, that wall has been unfinished drywall. My (wife's) hesitation of finishing the wall was that we wanted to avoid all the drywall dust at all costs, so I did nothing with it.

My wife was going to the beach for a few days while I watched the kids, so I thought I had some good time to get stuff done. In the end, I did get it done, but with a lot slower progress than I hoped.

Here's how it's looked for the last two years

Time to get down to business

I setup my gopro to do a time lapse, which I thought would be a good idea. Unfortunately gopro batteries suck rear end so I had to re-charge and re-start it a few times. It's still kind of cool, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9mWX5p42H0

Here's the end of the first day

"Wow, what a decent amount of progress on the first day of the wife's vacation", I stupidly tell myself. I go to pick up the kids at daycare and my daughter has a temperature so she can't go back to school the following day, which means I can't get anything done. The day after that, my son get's a hellacious fever overnight and is out of school for the next three days. Luckily he's old enough that he can lay and watch movies while I work, so I press on.

Here I've finished all I'm going to finish and started with the priming. The sponging went ok, the wall looks pretty decent but in the early morning when the sun is shining along the wall I can see all the imperfections I couldn't get rid of. But it's definitely "good enough".

By this time, my wife came home from her vacation. She felt really guilty the kid's were sick while she was away.

The priming was done quickly enough

All painted up, we went with a beigey type color that is a couple shades lighter than the chocolate-type color we have on nearby walls.

Still to do:
1. Buy the trim/molding/etc
2. Paint that stuff
3. Install it
4. Prime/paint the closet door and door jamb, install door stops, etc.
5. Learn how to do crown molding

We have some other projects we're kicking around, I haven't yet started the planning beyond millions of ideas in my head.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

dreesemonkey posted:

Still to do:
1. Buy the trim/molding/etc
2. Paint that stuff
3. Install it
4. Prime/paint the closet door and door jamb, install door stops, etc.
5. Learn how to do crown molding
6. Learn how to hate crown molding.

FTFY.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Word. I'm not even going to attempt it unless I find someone who knows what they're doing and/or figure out how to do it in sketchup. It's not THAT much of an eyesore.

Similarly, I have not done any of the trim on the wall yet since it's noisy and my only real free time is when my daughter is sleeping, who's bedroom shares that same wall. I have the trim painted, I just need a couple hours to hang it.

Project Planning

Looking down the road a bit, my wife and I are in the early planning stages of our next big project, which is the main bathroom. We likely won't do this for another year or two, but planning it is free at least :) The bathroom is pretty small and hilariously dated. Here is the floorplan I posted in the OP, you can see how the bathroom and closets are currently situated.

The plan is to:
1. Reclaim the large closet in our dining nook and the linen closet in the hallway as space for the bathroom
2. Move the laundry upstairs
3. Re-use the linen closet door opening for the entrance to the new bathroom.

I did a couple sketchups and these are the general idea of what we're looking to do, off the top of my head I think we have about 93"x129" to work with:

We're not really sure what we want to do closet wise, it could be one of the above or something in between like one big closet with stacked laundry and shelves on the other side.

I know, I know, we're getting rid of closets which is a horrible idea. Thankfully, we still have a really big closet space that we're not utilizing to it's full potential right now (label pantry-type closets on the floorplan). This will be a shorter-term project to figure out what all we want to put in there and then go crazy with organization so we can more efficiently fit all our poo poo in there.

Basement

I've been spending a fair amount of time down there lately. My son can ride his scooter, and my daughter can zoom around in her walker at top speed smashing into things. Every time I go down there I get excited with the potential of what the basement could be sometime, but also annoyed with how far away I am from that. Instead, I spent some time last night taking up the rim joist insulation project that I started a million months ago and abandoned. No pics of this as it's not very interesting. Today I ordered two basement windows to replace the single pane aluminum that are 40+ years old who's insulation properties are measured in negative R value, I think. They were cheap and will no doubt help with some of the chill.

I have however been slaving away in sketchup trying to plan out vaguely what I'd like the basement to be. There are some challenges, namely some things I can't (don't want to) change like the location of the windows and the support for the steel beam (so I can have a pool table). Challenges aside, I came up with something that I think would be pretty sweet. The big projects would be a kitchenette, 3/4 bath, relocating my server rack, and expanding the furnace/storage room for some extra storage.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
The counters depicted in that image do not represent the entirety of counterspace in your house, right?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

DreadLlama posted:

The counters depicted in that image do not represent the entirety of counterspace in your house, right?

You mean the basement mockup picture? No, we have counters in our kitchen, which is not in our basement :)

The thought of a kitchenette in the basement would be along the lines of having extra cooking capacity if we were hosting thanksgiving or something. A sink and fridge and a tiny bit of counterspace would be more than sufficient, though I did mention to my wife the other night that it might make sense to have a kitchenette down there for when we decide to reno our actual kitchen upstairs so I'm not so rushed.

Here's one of the two windows I bought for the basement. I got some tapcon screws so as far as I know I'm all ready to slap these babies into place. I'm hoping Saturday.

I also bought a new voltage tester to try and get a better idea of what wiring I need to clean up down there.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Over the weekend I put the new windows in the basement. Pretty simple affair, if I had to do it over again I would have gotten longer tapcons, the screws I had were JUST long enough. Other than that it was a quick and easy swap.

Old and gross

Ripped out

Tadaaaaaaa (not yet caulked)

Other one done

I also made an enormous mess attempting to clean and organize the storage/furnace room and the various crap held within, but I've made some decent progress anyway. You can never have too many storage bins

There is a half bath and kitchenette type sink in the basement that I'll be removing soon. There is an old upflush system that doesn't work (the kind where you're like sitting on a thrown). I'll be capping the cpvc lines and removing everything and scrapping it all. I'll gain some extra storage space at least. Hell, I may be even able to sell the upflush and make it a net positive :)

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

dreesemonkey posted:

There is a half bath and kitchenette type sink in the basement that I'll be removing soon. There is an old upflush system that doesn't work (the kind where you're like sitting on a thrown). I'll be capping the cpvc lines and removing everything and scrapping it all. I'll gain some extra storage space at least. Hell, I may be even able to sell the upflush and make it a net positive :)

Slow and not very steady, that's my motto. I've been puttering in my basement, namely the above quoted.

Here's the half bath in question. The upflush doesn't work, so I've had the water turned off to these fixtures (and the kichenette sink on the other side of the wall) for years. I'm not going to bother trying to fix the upflush so out it all comes.

This is the other side of the wall (right of the picture) where the sink and upper cabinet were. I tried to salvage the upper cabinet to re purpose elsewhere but it didn't end well, no big loss.

Here's the cleaned out space in the laundry/no longer half bath. Removing that upflush was loving disgusting, but it's done and I haven't contracted dysentery as far as I know. For the short term, I'll probably just stack some poo poo in here for storage since it's tucked away. You can see the support for the steel beam that allows me to have a pool table down there.

This support, and the window in that corner are the things that are "immovables" that I'm trying to ultimately plan around. I'm also considering dropping the plan for a shower down there as the ceilings are not very high, especially with the current plumbing directly overhead in that area. To build the shower on a 2x6, 2x8? platform or whatever to get enough space for a p trap, I'd not have much headroom unless I really started monkeying with the layout down there.

While my wife took the kids to church on Sunday I did some electrical work.
1. I entered our creepy crawlspace underneath the kitchen/dining addition to put in a junction box. The POs ran plain ol' romex out underneath the deck for power out there not in any kind of conduit or anything. We never used them anyway so I just cut the wire and stuffed it in a junction box. Only took me about 6 years to get around to fixing it!
2. Removed a beefy 10/3 (?) wire that went outside for what I'm assuming was at one point a hottub.
3. I also removed the wiring in the breaker box for the baseboard heating in the living room, again not something we use. Eventually I may even get around to removing the actual heating element from the living room. Not sure if I have the paint for that, though.

While these didn't really do much functionally, they simplified some of the wiring in the box (which is absolutely abysmal), got rid of ~150' of haphazardly run wiring inside and out, and reclaimed 4 breaker spots back in my box. When I finally get to opening up the basement walls I hope to GREATLY simplify the wiring mess down there.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

dreesemonkey posted:

I'm also considering dropping the plan for a shower down there as the ceilings are not very high, especially with the current plumbing directly overhead in that area. To build the shower on a 2x6, 2x8? platform or whatever to get enough space for a p trap, I'd not have much headroom unless I really started monkeying with the layout down there.

Why not just rent a jackhammer and buy a bag of cement? When we re-did the basement bathroom in my parents' house, we just busted up enough floor to put a drain and p-trap down below the floor and cemented it in. Then you don't have to worry about building a box for it to stand on or whatever.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Magnus Praeda posted:

Why not just rent a jackhammer and buy a bag of cement? When we re-did the basement bathroom in my parents' house, we just busted up enough floor to put a drain and p-trap down below the floor and cemented it in. Then you don't have to worry about building a box for it to stand on or whatever.

I think for that to work I'd still need some slightly elevated base to ensure the drain is above the inlet to the upflush system (though I'm not an expert in fluid dynamics or whatever).

I think I'm going to have to revisit it anyway, when I mentioned to the wife I was going to maybe think about scrapping the shower idea she wasn't impressed.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
So relieved to find this thread. I just bought my first house, and while the home itself is in fantastic shape, the wife and I have a list a mile long of things we want to do, things we always wanted to do but couldn't because we were renters. That all ends now! :rock:

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Hazed_blue posted:

So relieved to find this thread. I just bought my first house, and while the home itself is in fantastic shape, the wife and I have a list a mile long of things we want to do, things we always wanted to do but couldn't because we were renters. That all ends now! :rock:

Welcome to the struggle! It's fun and rewarding and a lot of work. My primary advice is if there are things you'd like to do and you don't have children, try to get them done before you have kids if that's in the plans :)

I didn't have a lot of time this weekend to be productive, I was helping a family friend hang drywall in a new bathroom they built for the husband who has ALS.

I reorganized the junk in the basement where the old half bath was in the laundry room.

I wanted to see if I could theoretically free up enough room to be able to set up the ping pong table. Mission accomplished

I spent some time outside yesterday and decided to pull down a dead branch that had been threatening to fall (or so I thought) for a year now. I threw a rope up around it and yanked on it for about 10 minutes, it was a lot stronger than I thought. I knew I was damaging it so it was time to bust out the big guns, which I just should have done to begin with

Not pictured (I realize this is interesting to no one but myself) but I removed a few more low-hanging runs of wiring in the basement. Much more investigative work to be done to determine what wiring I can remove for further tidying, but I'll have plenty of cold months to work on that.

Speaking of cold months, I need to finish up the rim joist insulation, it's going to be cold soon. Luckily that wall is now clear so it will be easier to do.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Ugh, that paneling.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

kid sinister posted:

Ugh, that paneling.

Kills me every time i see it too.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Trust me, I hate it more than anyone :(

I could paint it, but it's so wavy and warped it would look awful anyway and ultimately be a waste of money.

Ideally I would rip it out and hang drywall on the walls, but there are a few things keeping me from that:

1. I haven't finalized the layout for the basement yet.
2. Assuming it was, I'd need to frame it out and get all the electrical sorted (this in itself is a huge project)
3. Though I really don't want to, the first things I SHOULD be doing are removing all the framing on the exterior walls so I could drylock the walls (yes I know it's not waterproofing) and then put 1" rigid foam down against the block and then frame over top of that (I would try to re-use the same framing, obviously). At the moment I'm not planning on doing this because it seems like way too much work.

I really wish the basement was just unfinished space when we got the house, it would have been so much easier to deal with. Just painted block would have looked much nicer than it does now :-/ But that will just make it that much more of an impressive transformation!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Last weekend I had a mad rush to bring the pressure washer inside because we were going to have our first freeze. Last year I didn't properly winterize it and had to spend ~$120 on a new pump for it - not very pleased. I brought it downstairs to the basement and winterized it with an aerosol oil kit or whatever the hell it is.

I was supposed to have a day working to myself, but got steamrolled by the kids instead. I pulled out some more wiring in the basement, I think almost all of the heinous as the crow flies messy wiring is almost all gone.

I'm getting kind of sick of work (day job), so I'm tentatively planning to take Thursday and Friday off. I don't really have any major plans around though house though, so I fear it's going to be some prime working time wasted. I'm going to try and brainstorm to see if I can think of anything. I'd LIKE to start framing the expanded furnace/storage room in the basement (as shown below), but I think my wife would question that decision. I will mostly just continue some electrical detective work.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I took a couple of days off work last week to take a break. And by break, I mean work on the house instead of being at work. Mostly I just cleaned up some more wiring in the basement, so there isn't much to look at there. Here's a picture of my growing pile of wiring I removed.

I also "finished" up the rim joist insulation. There are still some joist cavities that are going to need spray foamed instead (too much wiring in the way). I tried to do some critter intrusion prevention coming in from our kitchen/dining addition as well. Glad to have that done with.

Talked with the wife about the basement and we came up with a different design. The changes in this design are making the storage room significantly larger and stealing as much space as we can from the pool table area to create space for a shower.

Here is the "bathroom" area. Server rack flush mounted in the wall. The dead space in the top will be where the sump pump and water heater will be (as well as whatever other poo poo I could fit in there). The small nook where the couch is could be a little spot for a desk/office or something, it's about 8' wide.

The storage room is larger, which we both like. Can never have too much room for poo poo. By putting shelves all around the perimeter there should be room in the middle for some sort of small table to do hobby/craft stuff on. Something like this would be cool.

On Saturday my friend invited me to his church for a go-kart event some members were doing. They brought three karts and setup a track in the parking lot. It was a lot of fun, I've never driven a racing kart chassis before. You got 3 flying laps with each kart (warmup + 3 flying laps + cooldown). I did pretty well, I came away with the second fastest heat of the day (pretty sure I lost out because I was horsing around with sliding around the final turn as you can see in the below picture), and I'm pretty sure the fastest overall cumulative time for the three karts.

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLSfyGV-PH0

dreesemonkey fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Oct 27, 2015

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Quality of life
Last night I danced a jig and ripped the bulk of the phone wiring out of my basement. I'm very happy to report that as of 11/2/15 I canceled our Verizon DSL. No longer do I have to pay $73/mo for 1.5Mb/.3Mb DSL and attached phone line.

A local company, literally just two guys, has been offering wireless internet for a year or so. I've been hounding them to get out to our area for 6 months or more and they finally got upset. I initially had qualms about wireless, but we've had it a week and it's been perfect. We're getting 10/2Mb for $40/mo. No data caps or any other nonsense. I was a little disappointed I couldn't get more at my house but honestly it's been perfect and plenty fast. So pumped. As the guy explained it to me, we're limited by the signal to the tower rather than the throughput/bandwidth to that particular tower so it's more or less a "dedicated" line not an "up to" 10Mbps. Every time I've done a speedtest it's been 9.86Mb down and ~ 1.96Mb up with sub 50ms pings. Yay local business, and a giant gently caress you to Verizon!

House stuff
I don't really have anything house-related to add. Last weekend I worked on some leaf cleanup to have the yard look good for less than 24 hours. I will likely try and wait it out now until the bulk of the leaves are down. The leaf vacuum does a good job but it fills up way too fast.

The basement is still pretty clean. The past two nights we've spent some time down there, my son has learned to ride his "big boy bike" (with training wheels) and now he's obsessed. Too bad we couldn't convince him to try it when you know, it wasn't November and dark as soon as we get home.

Last night I erected a "play yard" fence system to keep my daughter from getting near our pellet stove, which we haven't had to turn on yet. The directions were useless so I was pretty well pissed by the time I figured out how to move the gate. I need to figure out a way to hard mount it on the fireplace side, but it's honestly not too bad as-is. It passed the toddler shake test this morning when she woke up so that's a plus

Off topic
In some family excitement news, my sister published her second book on Amazon (with help of a fellow goon's publishing service) and it hit as high as #2 on the kindle store, currently it's still #8. We're super pumped for her, she's being laid off as of Dec 31st so she's going to try and make a go writing full-time. $.99 Shameless plug

Bonus pic of a sunset from a few weeks ago

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Admit it, you just want to keep her from downloading all the internets on your computer.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Merry Christmas, ya'll. The only thing I've done in the house recently is move poo poo around. I have some time off during the holiday, and I thought it would be a swell time to take the plunge and make our storage room big. I doubt I'll get to it (the wife didn't seem all that interested in my idea) but at the very least making some room in the furnace/storage room will allow me to remove the lovely paneling and start mucking around with the electrical and seeing how much work I have to move some walls around.

From the "plan", it would be the area to the right of the picture:

Here's a cleaned out corner in the basement. Might as well pile some poo poo there.

This poo poo, specifically. I need to free up a table to use for christmas at our house. The table against the far wall is all kid's stuff that my kid's have outgrown. Takes up a shitload of space, as you can see. That table, and the freezer/fridge is the area of expansion for the storage room.

Moved the shelving out of the storage room. That wall on the left is the other side of the fridge/freezer wall in the above pic.

To the nice, clean corner

All loaded up. The 6 bins on the top, the whole middle shelf and the garbage bags on the floor is all kid's stuff to get rid of. You can maybe see why I'm looking to make our storage room bigger.

So, I likely won't do much of anything major over the holiday break, but I am hoping that I can at least figure out my gameplan for the storage room and get it as ready as I can to look at reframing.

We just got hit with a surprise $2400 medical bill from last year due to the faults of everyone involved (us, dr's office, insurance), so that put a bit of a damper on our holiday cheer, but we'll be fine. Just pissed me off to waste money for no reason. That's like ~2/3 estimated budget for doing our upstairs bathroom just thrown out the window. loving healthcare, man.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Medical billing pro tip: you can almost always work out a 0% interest payment plan, or negotiate a discount for paying in full right away.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Zhentar posted:

Medical billing pro tip: you can almost always work out a 0% interest payment plan, or negotiate a discount for paying in full right away.

I'll pay it in full if it's worth it to me (ie discounted), if not then they can wait forever for me to pay it back.

NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004

dreesemonkey posted:

...stuff to get rid of. You can maybe see why I'm looking to make our storage room bigger.
Maybe not in the spirit of the forum, but wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to get rid of it?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

NoSpoon posted:

Maybe not in the spirit of the forum, but wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to get rid of it?

Haha don't worry, it will eventually leave. Dunno if you have kids but there is a perpetual getting and giving kid stuff cycle with friends and co-workers.

Is great in terms of free stuff but it sure takes up a lot of room. One of the people who takes or boy clothing only took about a years worth since she had limited space. Not sure if she's coming back for more or what.

Unfortunately most of our friends have had girls since.

NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004

dreesemonkey posted:

Haha don't worry, it will eventually leave. Dunno if you have kids but there is a perpetual getting and giving kid stuff cycle with friends and co-workers.
Yeah, this is my house too. I have the bonus of a huge basement, so half of my extended family store junk they should just get rid of in it.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

NoSpoon posted:

Yeah, this is my house too. I have the bonus of a huge basement, so half of my extended family store junk they should just get rid of in it.

I also forgot I have a near-fetish for organizing, so an extra big storage room will basically be my sex dungeon.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

dreesemonkey posted:

I also forgot I have a near-fetish for organizing, so an extra big storage room will basically be my sex dungeon.

*erotic music whilst loading dymo labeler*

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Cakefool posted:

*erotic music whilst loading dymo labeler*

I do have a dymo! Unfortunately the label adhesive does not stick well to the bins that I use, so they usually peel up. I resort to masking tape and sharpies :effort:

dreesemonkey posted:

Unfortunately most of our friends have had girls since.

In a fortunate stroke of luck, one of our coworkers just adopted a 14 month boy and my wife offered our old stuff. Keep in mind that we've given infant - 12M stuff away already so all we have is 18M and up through 3T. Uhhh yea, we still had 12 garbage bags full of stuff.

Not pictured 4 bags of "unwanted" clothing to get rid of for my daughter, I'll be taking that to good will soon. Yesssss.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

dreesemonkey posted:

I do have a dymo! Unfortunately the label adhesive does not stick well to the bins that I use, so they usually peel up. I resort to masking tape and sharpies :effort:

Try the flexible nylon label tape; my experience is that it sticks to things much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Zhentar posted:

Try the flexible nylon label tape; my experience is that it sticks to things much better.

Alternately, would roughing the spot for the label on the bin up with some light grain sandpaper work?