Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Coming August 27th, conveniently two weeks after my trip back to America is over:

Pictured: EA continues its desperate bid to revive Detroit's economy.

It's Madden. You know what Madden is. You know what it isn't (A solid investment).

I didn't buy Madden 13, so I've been paying attention to this one. What's new? Let's start with a few videos.

Franchise mode: Now you can play as your hero, Dan Snyder.

Offense: You know that right stick function in Fifa that lets you do special dribbling? Yeah...

Defense: Arm tackles have been cut apparently.

Other people can talk about online features because I don't play online. The big reason I'm buying this one is the new Franchise mode, so here are some bullet points:

Control:
  • NCAA draft classes are back! So are Fantasy drafts.
  • Ability to control as much or little of the season as possible, from 32 teams to one.
  • Apparent return of editing players.
  • The ability to change player positions is back, though it may be limited.
  • League Commissioners can abuse their power in creative new ways.

Gameplay:
  • You can control an existing owner or self insert yourself (in game cut-scene of lynching unpopular owners a feature for Madden: 26)
  • Stadiums are more customizable.
  • You can relocate your team (You bastard.)
  • You can price merchandise.
  • Owner statements affect gameplay.
  • Coaches have favored schemes.
  • Front office personnel (Finance, Staff, Marketing) are controllable.
  • In a startling break from realism, fan perception factors into the game somehow.
  • The XP system is back (and CPU progression is supposedly better)

Misc:
  • A bunch of talking heads no one gives a poo poo about!
  • Redone in game menus

Finally:
:siren: Preorder Madden 25 from Amazon for 5x:20bux: and get a "free" copy of Sunday Ticket! :siren:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
I'm actively writing code for this game RIGHT NOW.

I'll do my best to answer any questions you guys have, but I can't really give you any information that hasn't been publicly released.

Ralphis
Aug 2, 2011

Nuggan posted:

I'll do my best to answer any questions you guys have, but I can't really give you any information that hasn't been publicly released.

Do the programmers hate the product they put out as much as those of us that get conned into buying it each year do? Every year my buddy or I buy it (except for last year) and within 6-7 games we've already come across a multitude of bugs, glitches, and lousy AI (Run slant routes and screen passes all day and march down field unopposed? Yep). Does the team ever look to any other dev's products for ideas (NFL 2K5 was pretty baller as well as the "legends" version they came out with a few years back, Backbreaker had really cool physics in spite of it controlling like garbage)?

Also, not sure how many years you worked on the title, but if you were I have to ask: was there some sort of sick "Favre Factor" joke put into the game? We played a bunch the year that Favre was on the Vikings and every single time either one of us got put into a game winning drive situation with Favre, we would throw a pick in the red zone at the end of the game. It was probably the most realistic part of Madden that we've ever experienced!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
:siren: Thread rule: Don't abuse Nuggan. He doesn't decide EA's corporate policy. :siren:

Hey Nuggan, any way I could "persuade" you To sneakily up Dalton's throw power to the mid 90s?

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jun 6, 2013

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

Ralphis posted:

Also, not sure how many years you worked on the title, but if you were I have to ask: was there some sort of sick "Favre Factor" joke put into the game? We played a bunch the year that Favre was on the Vikings and every single time either one of us got put into a game winning drive situation with Favre, we would throw a pick in the red zone at the end of the game. It was probably the most realistic part of Madden that we've ever experienced!

This is not a thing that exists, as far as I know. We do joke around a bit though, like the The Put Da Team On My Back achievement. We saw this video and said "welp, that has to go in the game".

Toussaint Louverture posted:

:siren: Thread rule: Don't abuse Nuggan. He doesn't decide EA's corporate policy. :siren:

Hey Nuggan, any way I could "persuade" you To sneakily up Dalton's throw power to the mid 90s?

Thanks for that. I could probably sneak some stat changes in, but I'm sure they'd just be changed on the next tuning/roster updates. Also, the guy that decides the stats for all the players would come get me to try to justify why it should be that high, and I just can't make that argument.

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011
I hope the jetpack interceptions that plagued 2013 don't return. I bought and returned 2013 pretty quick because when I see my top receiver one on one with good distance and I have a capable QB, that poo poo should not be a pick half the time. Also my Raiders better have a 75+ rating. :colbert:

Nawid fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 6, 2013

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Nawid posted:

I hope the jetpack interceptions that plagued 2013 don't return. I bought and returned 2013 pretty quick because when I see my top receiver one on one with good distance and I have a capable QB, that poo poo should not be a pick half the time. Also my Raiders better have a 75+ rating. :colbert:

Less linebackers with 10 foot verticals please.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Nuggan posted:

How long do you guys have until you are done developing for this upcoming Madden? Probably have to wrap up by early August I would guess?

Have you guys considered an Arcade Mode a la NFL Blitz? I was just talking to my friend the other day while playing that it would be cool if you could play Real Madden but still have outrageously huge hits or whatever dumb crap. Don't get me wrong, I like the game a lot but it would be neat to throw in some goofy stuff here and there (but maybe a bad idea since it would take away from development of the real game).

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Nuggan please remind anyone you can that there is at least one (1) person who would buy Madden if it was back on PC.

e: I didn't really have an issue when I moved to germany (about a year ago). That sucks though.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 7, 2013

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

hopterque posted:

Nuggan please remind anyone you can that there is at least one (1) person who would buy Madden if it was back on PC.

It would still use EA's loving AWFUL distribution system so I'd be literally incapable of buying it.

(If you're an expat it automatically locks you into the region and language you're physically in and often denies purchases. It is the dumbest thing. I still haven't goddamned played Mass loving Effect 3.) :rant:

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

Have you guys considered an Arcade Mode a la NFL Blitz? I was just talking to my friend the other day while playing that it would be cool if you could play Real Madden but still have outrageously huge hits or whatever dumb crap. Don't get me wrong, I like the game a lot but it would be neat to throw in some goofy stuff here and there (but maybe a bad idea since it would take away from development of the real game).
NFL Xtreme/Blitz/Street aren't going to happen again, NFL doesn't want that going with their image.

hopterque posted:

e: I didn't really have an issue when I moved to germany (about a year ago). That sucks though.

Seconded!

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

How long do you guys have until you are done developing for this upcoming Madden? Probably have to wrap up by early August I would guess?

It varies year to year, but we try to be done before August usually. Early summer is a general goal.

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

Well...

Nawid posted:

NFL Xtreme/Blitz/Street aren't going to happen again, NFL doesn't want that going with their image.

Pretty much this. Anything like that has to go through the NFL, and you already saw what they did with the latest Blitz and not being able to tackle someone after the play. Injuries are a big deal right now.

hopterque posted:

A PC version of the game would certainly be nice. Ask yourself if EA thinks the potential profits from that are worth the cost of dev work to port it.

Nawid posted:

Seconded!

You second that there is one person who will buy the PC version? Let me just call Andrew Wilson right up and tell him.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Nuggan posted:

A PC version of the game would certainly be nice. Ask yourself if EA thinks the potential profits from that are worth the cost of dev work to port it.

You second that there is one person who will buy the PC version? Let me just call Andrew Wilson right up and tell him.
The NBA 2k model of "put the minimum possible effort into porting it, don't patch it between release and the final console patch, strip out any fancy features that might be compromised by PC openness, and sell it at a slightly reduced price from the consoles to stop people complaining" seems to work well enough for them to keep doing it.

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011

Chris de Sperg posted:

The NBA 2k model of "put the minimum possible effort into porting it, don't patch it between release and the final console patch, strip out any fancy features that might be compromised by PC openness, and sell it at a slightly reduced price from the consoles to stop people complaining" seems to work well enough for them to keep doing it.

And I buy it every year since it hits a pretty good price in December.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
Nuggan, have the put in an option to switch around controls. I can never hit the LB receiver. I think even NCAA has it!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So Nuggan, are the features they're talking about at EA with better line play and all that exclusive to the next gen stuff or is for all systems?

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

So Nuggan, are the features they're talking about at EA with better line play and all that exclusive to the next gen stuff or is for all systems?

I believe that the new line stuff is only on the new consoles.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

League Commissioners can abuse their power in creative new ways.

Hey Nuggan (or anyone who knows, really), could you elaborate a bit on this? Also bump Tony Romo's Clutch rating up to 99, the fallout would be hilarious.

E: Would you recommend waiting to grab the PS4 version, if the new line play stuff is only next gen?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I remember 13 made a big deal of using touch on passes, did it make more sophisticated passing plays possible? In 12 I avoided any WR routes that weren't slants or go routes. Curls and digs in particular were basically volunteering a turnover.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

[*] The XP system is back (and CPU progression is supposedly better)

Urgh. This was one of the things that was gamebreaking for career coach mode in 13. I like the idea, but I think all the new developments at the same time just didn't mesh properly. I played 20+ years in multiple franchises in '11 and '12, but never more than 5 or so in '13. I remember in Madden '01 for N64, you could simulate a whole season in less than a minute with no consequences for skipping "practice." :allears:

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

I remember 13 made a big deal of using touch on passes, did it make more sophisticated passing plays possible? In 12 I avoided any WR routes that weren't slants or go routes. Curls and digs in particular were basically volunteering a turnover.

My experience using touch on passes was unless your WR was wide open with yards of separation, you'd throw an INT. And even if they are wipe open, it's a 50/50 shot that a LB will make a 10 foot vertical and superman the ball.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Dubious posted:

My experience using touch on passes was unless your WR was wide open with yards of separation, you'd throw an INT.

There's a slider bar for that.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
Has there been any word if they are improving MUT this year. One of my biggest :wtf: moments with 13' was when I realized the fancy new reserve deck was completely useless because to do anything at all with the cards there you had to put them in your active deck. It meant you had to slog through a lot more menus, and on that subject the menus in MUT 13' were slower than 12' so it was even more grating.

I said it in the last thread, but seriously NO ONE SHOULD PRE-ORDER THIS GAME. If it comes out, and it's actually decent buy it, but for the love of god wait until it comes out. /gently caress EA rant

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
Why isn't anyone talking about the awesome Amazon deal?

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
As someone living outside the home area for my favorite team, the Amazon preorder deal is worth it alone for getting Sunday Ticket all season on my tablet.

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011

MissileWaster posted:

Hey Nuggan (or anyone who knows, really), could you elaborate a bit on this? Also bump Tony Romo's Clutch rating up to 99, the fallout would be hilarious.

E: Would you recommend waiting to grab the PS4 version, if the new line play stuff is only next gen?
You know, Romo is statistically the best clutch QB in the NFL. So I'm wondering if they base his clutch rating on actual concrete stats or perception.

SAMB0
Jul 9, 2004

Space Bear.
Destroyer of Worlds.

Nawid posted:

You know, Romo is statistically the best clutch QB in the NFL. So I'm wondering if they base his clutch rating on actual concrete stats or perception.

What numbers are you looking at? I am asking un-ironically and would really like to look at these. Not that I don't believe you, well I don't, but I would really like to see where the QBs rank up.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Yeah, I would love to see the stats that would back that up without being supplied by Jerry Jones.

jabro fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 30, 2013

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
No way in hell Eli isn't.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Just looking at Pro Football Reference from a high level, Romo has 18 game winning 4th quarter drives to Eli's 24.

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011
Yes but Romo has much better 4th quarter stats if I remember correctly.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

When is EA going to start releasing players ratings? I'm getting stir-crazy here.

Atomic Spud
Jun 24, 2013

jabro posted:

When is EA going to start releasing players ratings? I'm getting stir-crazy here.

I'll let you in on a secret. Every player you like/every player on your team will be too low.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

Atomic Spud posted:

I'll let you in on a secret. Every player you like/every player on your team will be too low.

Nah, he's a Giants fan so they'll be way overvalued. Hopefully Canty is too because of that fact.

Doom-Ngata-Canty-McPhee/Spears-Suggs gonna own

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Edit: This didn't even make sense.

jabro fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 9, 2013

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Who's ready for 94 overall Joe Flacco?

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

Volkerball posted:

Who's ready for 94 overall Joe Flacco?

Be still my beating heart. I feel bad for all the ps3 league goons in the AFCN with me this year

:swoon:

Jacoby Jones will probably still be in the 80s with 99 return

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I'm ready for 72 OVR Christian Ponder :suicide:

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
I went ahead and got the Amazon deal where I get Sunday Ticket on my mobile devices along with Madden25. I tried the streaming Sunday Ticket package on my PS3 last season but the game feeds were literally 2 minutes behind the game action so all the big plays were spoiled by NFL Redzone or a Gametracker app. I hope the mobile streaming isn't that laggy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score
has anyone seen a deal yet like last year where you could trade in the previous version of Madden for like 50% off the next year's version? (might have been NHL)

• Locked thread