Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

ShimSham posted:

[rant] I just played a guy online who ran the option with Vick and McCoy, and made heavy use of Desean. He went for it on every 4th down, went for 2 points every time, and kicked onside most times he had a chance to.

I know this is nothing new to Madden and he was better than me but good lord he was insufferable.

This is why goon leagues exist. gently caress pubbies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.

Dubious posted:

This is why goon leagues exist. gently caress pubbies.

Yeah, I hadn't had an experience like that in years, but I forgot the option was such a big thing in this year's game.

I don't have the time for leagues, but I'm VaultBoy42 (360) if anyone were to want to add me. I think I'm on some old SA metas, but I haven't checked in a while.

ShimSham fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 27, 2013

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
Was hoping to come home and play the first Madden game I've bought since '07, but then I found that Amazon shipped it to the other side of the state. Guess I'll be playing this through reading the forum for the next few days...

thompson
Jun 6, 2006
I'm getting rained on right now by the seahawks but the calvin staff connection rocks. :D

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

ShimSham posted:

[rant] I just played a guy online who ran the option with Vick and McCoy, and made heavy use of Desean. He went for it on every 4th down, went for 2 points every time, and kicked onside most times he had a chance to.

I know this is nothing new to Madden and he was better than me but good lord he was insufferable.

I like how if you go for it on 4th down and fail Phil Simms basically calls you a loving retard. Haven't taken it online yet but you just come to expect that from pubbies and make you appreciate the pubbies that play legit that much more.

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.
Sidenote though, Vick and McCoy do make a hell of an option duo. I got better defending it since he ran it every single play, but for most of the game it resulted in a loss of yardage or a big play. Once he started mixing up the type of option plays he used and it wasn't completely obvious what he was going to do, it got a lot harder to defend.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

Santheb posted:

I like how if you go for it on 4th down and fail Phil Simms basically calls you a loving retard. Haven't taken it online yet but you just come to expect that from pubbies and make you appreciate the pubbies that play legit that much more.

I saw that in the demo going for 4th and 1 in the 4th quarter while behind. Something along the lines of 'you've got a punter, try using him!'

thompson
Jun 6, 2006
42-27 loss in my first game. It sure feels clean though! I haven't played a football game in years.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

ShimSham posted:

Sidenote though, Vick and McCoy do make a hell of an option duo.

:getin:

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
So, I bought this through Amazon and it said I received some sort of "Pittsburgh Steelers Franchise Pack" for pre-ordering. Is the team random, or does everyone get stuck with the Steeleers?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

abagofcheetos posted:

So, I bought this through Amazon and it said I received some sort of "Pittsburgh Steelers Franchise Pack" for pre-ordering. Is the team random, or does everyone get stuck with the Steeleers?

Whatever retailer you pre-ordered from gets a team. Amazon happens to be the Steelers.

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
I just simulated the 2013 season and the Jets and Jaguars both won 11 games :psyduck:

Kittykisses
Mar 20, 2009

The Piper posted:

I just simulated the 2013 season and the Jets and Jaguars both won 11 games :psyduck:

Is there an option to sim the entire remaining season in one go in franchise this year? Or do you have to do it one week at a time like in 13?

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Playing against Adrian Peterson on All-Madden is not a fun experience.

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.

Drunk Badger posted:

I saw that in the demo going for 4th and 1 in the 4th quarter while behind. Something along the lines of 'you've got a punter, try using him!'

If you run it on first down (HOW DARE) then sometimes they basically say you'll never win making playcalls like that.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
This new camera angle is throwing me off. Gonna take some time to get used to that, but I appreciate the reason why they implemented it.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Does today's roster update have McGloin on the Raiders?

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

I'm pretty sure I don't like this years version. It seems clunkier to me.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Santheb posted:

I'm pretty sure I don't like this years version. It seems clunkier to me.

I don't know if I'd use the word clunkier but it sure is slower. You don't really get a sense of guy's speed unless you use sprint which I am not sure I like.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

I got this game just for Sunday Ticket... but out of curiousity, is this game actually good this year? How come no one is talking about it on release day?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Anyone else having trouble signing in to Sunday Ticket? Keep getting incorrect username/password. Doesn't help that the password is 25 characters long and contains underscores, dashes and the loving @ symbol.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

I just tried and it works for me. Are you typing the password in all caps? Because if you aren't, it will say the password is incorrect

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
I like it! It seems the players are easier to control/more agile than in the past, which is nice. I am not 'good on the sticks' and it seems like the players are quick to respond to movements and the 'controls seem tight'. I don't like how far out the zoom is on the camera, but whatever. It is a bit upsetting that all three of the Browns starting WR's have the wrong number though.

defiantgiant
Oct 17, 2004

YOU ARE RIDICULOUS now please stop running backward all the time kthx
So this may seem like nitpicking, and apologies if it's been covered already, but when they said "we brought back editing player positions" apparently that was bullshit. It's exactly the same as the previous Madden - you can only switch a position with "left" in the name to "right" or vice versa. As far as I can see, guards still can't play center, tackles can't play guard, 3-4 DEs can't play 4-3 DT, middle linebackers still can't play any other kind of linebacker, strong and free safeties can't switch, etc.

The only thing I can find online is that they said "you can change positions at any point during the offseason." I'm guessing what they meant was "offseason not including preseason OR before you start your franchise." Which means you have to sim/play through an entire season before you can change anyone's position. Which is really, really stupid. Seriously, how hard is it to bring back a feature from a game you already made EXACTLY THE SAME as it was the first time around?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

First multiplayer game and already have a disconnect and a hate mail. It was a MUT season game and the guy had RG3 as his QB and not once did he run with him. Santheb needs to show the guy how to exploit play him.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

defiantgiant posted:

So this may seem like nitpicking, and apologies if it's been covered already, but when they said "we brought back editing player positions" apparently that was bullshit. It's exactly the same as the previous Madden - you can only switch a position with "left" in the name to "right" or vice versa. As far as I can see, guards still can't play center, tackles can't play guard, 3-4 DEs can't play 4-3 DT, middle linebackers still can't play any other kind of linebacker, strong and free safeties can't switch, etc.

The only thing I can find online is that they said "you can change positions at any point during the offseason." I'm guessing what they meant was "offseason not including preseason OR before you start your franchise." Which means you have to sim/play through an entire season before you can change anyone's position. Which is really, really stupid. Seriously, how hard is it to bring back a feature from a game you already made EXACTLY THE SAME as it was the first time around?

They were probably afraid people would start exploiting the feature again. Before changing a 70 OVR OLB with lot's of speed to a DE would bump their OVR well into the 90's.

I imagine they could have just made it so that wouldn't happen, but this is Madden your talking about here.

ShimSham posted:

On the plus side these people usually rage quit as soon as you pick them off a couple of times, or get 2 touchdowns behind. At least in Madden 12 & 13 it was that way.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

HappyHelmet posted:

They were probably afraid people would start exploiting the feature again. Before changing a 70 OVR OLB with lot's of speed to a DE would bump their OVR well into the 90's.

You could also exploit it by changing a star player to a punter then re-signing him for 7 years on the cheap.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

One thing remains constant compared to last year: Phil Simms still remains quite possibly the most grating commentator I've heard in a Madden game.

Been playing as the Raiders, first thing I did was rebuild the stadium entirely and tank the hell out of the season. There was a Quarterback that was highly regarded as a 1st round pick that had an eye injury that tanked him to undrafted territory. I've never seen anything like that so it was interesting to see. Needless to say I took him in the 6th round to find that he was an 86 overall in game, and 70 overall in the dashboard. :psyduck:

I mean he's great and all, but I'm sorta afraid I just drafted Ryan Leaf's second form.

defiantgiant
Oct 17, 2004

YOU ARE RIDICULOUS now please stop running backward all the time kthx

HappyHelmet posted:

I imagine they could have just made it so that wouldn't happen, but this is Madden your talking about here.

Volkerball posted:

You could also exploit it by changing a star player to a punter then re-signing him for 7 years on the cheap.

Both totally true, but the way it is now means that if I want to take over, say, the Redskins as a new coach running a 4-3, I have to either (1) run a 3-4 for a season or (2) trade away Orakpo and Kerrigan or (3) play them out of position for a whole season, eat the penalty, and carry a bunch of extra DEs I'm never going to use just to make the roster minimums. Instead of, you know, moving them back to the positions they played in college.

I mean, it was annoying when they got rid of editing player positions, but like you guys said, there were reasons for doing it. But it's almost more annoying that they brought it back in such a stupid way.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
Player transaction log owns

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Just got this last night and set up a MUT team (I have no idea what I'm doing). I haven't played Madden in about 3 years so I'm pretty awful. If anyone wants to play my XBL name is Plinkey.

Did anyone else that per-ordered from amazon get an email like this:

quote:

The Amazon Video Games team thanks you for purchasing “Madden NFL 25” for Xbox 360. Your purchase has qualified you for the Pittsburgh Steelers Franchise Pack. This gives you access to Art Rooney Sr.*, Rod Woodson, and Franco Harris for use in Connected Franchise and Madden Ultimate Team. (*Art Rooney Sr. is only available for use in Connected Franchise.)

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
Okay, I've never played a Madden game before and I am completely new to the series, so please bear with me as I ask some probably extremely dumb questions.

How exactly does online connected franchise work? In my understanding, up to 32 people are in the same 'league' and the league advances week to week on a set time based on the league. Each player can pick to either be a player, a coach, or an owner. But the Owner is the same thing as the Coach you just also happen to do things like manage ticket prices and whatever. What happens if someone picks the Coach and the Owner of the same team? On that same note, what happens if two people pick two different players on the same team, do they have to both be on to advance that team this week?

Also I assume the best way to learn the ropes in Madden is just to play the skill trainers?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

ChewyLSB posted:

Okay, I've never played a Madden game before and I am completely new to the series, so please bear with me as I ask some probably extremely dumb questions.

How exactly does online connected franchise work? In my understanding, up to 32 people are in the same 'league' and the league advances week to week on a set time based on the league. Each player can pick to either be a player, a coach, or an owner. But the Owner is the same thing as the Coach you just also happen to do things like manage ticket prices and whatever. What happens if someone picks the Coach and the Owner of the same team? On that same note, what happens if two people pick two different players on the same team, do they have to both be on to advance that team this week?

Also I assume the best way to learn the ropes in Madden is just to play the skill trainers?

You can't pick same teams. As soon as you pick a team player, coach, or owner that team is gone. That is why there can be only 32 players. 1 per team.

The skill trainer is more for showing the new gameplay features of the game but they can give you a good generalization of the game before getting thrown into an actual game.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
Aha I see. So I assume then that when you get matched up against another team thats controlled by a player in a week you play an online game? Does that mean THEN you both have to be online? Also what if one person chose a player rather than a coach, he only plays in half the plays and waits for the rest?

EDIT: Oh and does that mean there isn't a great in game way to learn the game from scratch?

ChewyLSB fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 28, 2013

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

ChewyLSB posted:

Aha I see. So I assume then that when you get matched up against another team thats controlled by a player in a week you play an online game? Does that mean THEN you both have to be online? Also what if one person chose a player rather than a coach, he only plays in half the plays and waits for the rest?

With online leagues, the commish will decide if its a player, coach or owner league. Once one of the three is chosen, all players are stuck to the chosen role. When you're matched up with a user, you both have to be online to play your game.

In order to get better, just jumping in and playing games is your best bet. I joined the ps3 league last year completely green, lost all my games the first season, and started winning every now and then after jumping in the fire. Playing pubbies in quick matches is a good fire to jump into. I started last year's game 0-15, and ended 19-24 in online ranked games.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

ChewyLSB posted:

Yes, when you have a game against someone it will be an online game against that person. I've honestly never played in an league with player/coach mixed so I cannot answer that question. I did a lazy Google search and came up with nothing but someone at the Operation Sports forums might know.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Anyone else noticing that the problems with the running clock/CPU getting off plays extremely quickly? This has happened twice to me, the first time the CPU made a pass of about ten yards down to the goal line, with no timeouts at the end of the game and was able to somehow get a play off when there was only 5 seconds on the clock when the previous play ended. The second time was even worse, the computer was tackled near the sideline with 10 seconds left in the half, and was somehow able to get their kicking team out and kick a field goal with time still on the clock, they even waited a few seconds before kicking. Also, gently caress the Buc's I lost to them 3 times in a row on Pro level in the season MUT solo challenges because of this cheating.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I didn't realize people bought Ultimate Team codes online. I just sold my Pittsburgh Steelers pack for $5.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I learned the reason why the QB I drafted in the 6th fluctuates so much in player rating is because his Durability is a 13 (holy poo poo) but he hasn't gotten injured -yet-. Is there any way to raise that or is my only choice to build a crazy good OL?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Captain Tolerable posted:

I learned the reason why the QB I drafted in the 6th fluctuates so much in player rating is because his Durability is a 13 (holy poo poo) but he hasn't gotten injured -yet-. Is there any way to raise that or is my only choice to build a crazy good OL?

Every game he plays in he gets XP which you can use to raise his attributes.

• Locked thread