Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Drunk Badger posted:

I think the last MLB The Show game I played had a quick game mode that cut out all the extras. It made games go by quickly, and I didn't notice any loading issues, so I'd love to have something like this in Madden.

Yep, it definitely did. I knew I wasn't just thinking that up, as I used to play The Show as well. Great feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

illcendiary posted:

Yep, it definitely did. I knew I wasn't just thinking that up, as I used to play The Show as well. Great feature.
We have the same kind of thing in Tiger so it can be done in EA games.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

jabro posted:

Gotta love Amazon. I never received my pre-order code for the Anniversary Edition. I contacted them so they could me another email. Said no problem, we'll get it right out to you. Today another Anniversary Edition arrived. Still no pre-order code but now I have 2 Sunday Ticket codes.

I'll take your extra sunday ticket code :p

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
loving pieces of poo poo online. I was playing this guy in MUT and he sent me a message that said "weak", probably because I ran one speed option play with T Pryor as the backup QB. Anyway, I beat his rear end 20-0 and he had the ball with less than a minute left and got 2 delay of game penalties and then the screen froze. I pressed buttons to get it going and that exited the game, I got coins but no win, loving glitchers are worse than Hitler :mad:

e; Speaking of Pryor I am spending a fortune (100 coinbux each) on injury cards because he gets knocked out every other hit, that's why I don't use RG3 for those plays, plus TP is 4 speed faster!

Michael Corleone fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 4, 2013

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
I'm surprised at how good my 85 ovr team is. I really hope I can win the Superbowl this time around. My first season, I went undefeated and lost by 1 loving point, 15 to 14. Second season was rough, but this season, I'm 6-0, hoping to grab a bye. I wish the games were a tad bit longer, but all in all it's pretty solid.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Michael Corleone posted:

loving pieces of poo poo online. I was playing this guy in MUT and he sent me a message that said "weak", probably because I ran one speed option play with T Pryor as the backup QB. Anyway, I beat his rear end 20-0 and he had the ball with less than a minute left and got 2 delay of game penalties and then the screen froze. I pressed buttons to get it going and that exited the game, I got coins but no win, loving glitchers are worse than Hitler :mad:

e; Speaking of Pryor I am spending a fortune (100 coinbux each) on injury cards because he gets knocked out every other hit, that's why I don't use RG3 for those plays, plus TP is 4 speed faster!

Buy 3 injury cards, sell a fourth on the auction house for 444 (400 after 'tax') coins. Free injury cards. (people are stupid)

I won the MUT superbowl and pulled patrick willis in my reward pack, it was a good time. I am wondering if I'm actually being placed against higher skilled opponents as I move up brackets though because every game seems as easy as the last (I'm in the 4th bracket now and on a 15 game win streak)

It's absolutely amazing how easily shut down people are when you spy a CB in a cover-4 and have your OLB playing DE in the dime on the side of the spy cover the purple zone that CB originally was supposed to cover. When RG3/Vick/Kaepernick/whoever can't outrun the CB and they just either stand there and absorb a sack or throw into triple coverage and ragequit at the interception

toxicsunset fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Sep 4, 2013

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I spend the bulk of my time playing offline franchise mode in Madden. I haven't purchased a Madden game since '10. Its got that sweet dual cover with Fitz and Polumalu. I'm considering buying this years but because I haven't touched a newer version I have some questions I was hoping Madden Goons collective wisdom could answer for me.

What is scouting and the off-season draft process like? I saw that the newer versions have "live twitter" during drafts, and in some demos that they have little bio blurbs on prospects being former wrestlers/bball players. Are these of any significance for either gameplay or rating?

How do rookies progress? Is it a waste of time to import ncaa classes like it was in the past due to depressed stats?

Does a good NT in a 3-4 scheme usually demand two blockers? In past versions if you ran a 3-4 you were very susceptible to runs through the A gap.

Is player lock during a play available?

How do dynamic stats play?is that still a thing?

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
So Coin Up now exists. But my game crashes every time I attempt it. Am I alone here?

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
College Slice

MJBuddy posted:

So Coin Up now exists. But my game crashes every time I attempt it. Am I alone here?
Same here. Have you tried it after restarting? (mine just crashed and haven't tried again yet)

edit - worked fine after restarting.

cletus42o fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Sep 5, 2013

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
Tried my first two online ultimate team games, and I don't think I've ever played a game so laggy. Did I just get unlucky, or should I expect to play a stuttery game on a 50MB down/12MB up cable connection? At least FIFA allows you to preview who you are playing against, and allows me to leave the game before it starts if I don't see good latency. Not sure how EA's other games are, but I would have thought I'd have the option to leave a game that's just going to be a lagging mess.

On a less angry note, who are you guys going with for the TD coin bonus thing?

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Drunk Badger posted:

Tried my first two online ultimate team games, and I don't think I've ever played a game so laggy. Did I just get unlucky, or should I expect to play a stuttery game on a 50MB down/12MB up cable connection? At least FIFA allows you to preview who you are playing against, and allows me to leave the game before it starts if I don't see good latency. Not sure how EA's other games are, but I would have thought I'd have the option to leave a game that's just going to be a lagging mess.

I was thinking that Rice is likely to get a TD but Thomas will be hit or miss. They could all go to Decker and Welker, who knows.

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
College Slice

Drunk Badger posted:

I have the Rice and Bryant collectibles in my roster for tonight.

Don't forget there are 2 sets for the 2 games tonight.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
I can't complete the drat challenge so looks like it won't matter :(

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

MJBuddy posted:

I can't complete the drat challenge so looks like it won't matter :(

I beat both of them with an 80 rated team and the only one that was even close was the game vs Denver. You just need an offensive scheme that works (I have a nice run/option scheme with Trent Richardson that decimates the AI). Once you feel like you can reliably score every time you get the ball you just need to get 1-2 lucky stops on D and you win.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
I kept Denver to 14, putting up 35 and Baltimore to 7, putting up 35. Denver was by far the hardest, just stopping :manning: was a pain, but I chose Rice for my coin-up, even though I'm rooting for Denver.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
I hate playing the Broncos because just like in real life Manning barks audibles for ever and the game take much longer to play than versus normal teams. I noticed this last year too.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Where is the opening day roster update, EA? :argh:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Michael Corleone posted:

I hate playing the Broncos because just like in real life Manning barks audibles for ever and the game take much longer to play than versus normal teams. I noticed this last year too.

They've done that for a lot of years. Always just Manning.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
Any suggestions on a good build for a MUT team? I'm going with a speed run team at the moment, but maybe I'd be better off doing something else for online play.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Was just about to post about MUT. I just confirmed that in the season play that overall's of a team don't affect matchups. My team is an 80, Reggie Wayne is 87 and my highest rated player besides kicker. Anyway, the guy I played had 97 Barry Sanders, 90 CJr, another 90 WR, 90's all across both lines, etc. His lowest rated starter was 84 RG3 I think. Still almost beat him. Anyway, get good cards or get wrecked I guess.

I do speed run too, check the auction house when you sort by chemistry for some good deals. Both my guards are mid 70's but have good blocking stats, especially running strength, so be sure to check the back of the cards. Once you find the guy you like, go to search for him on his team and then sort by buy it now price to get the best deal. Pouncy from the Steelers is the best center for this scheme, if you can get him for 4k that is a good deal, I paid a bit over that. Good luck!

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Here are two super useful sites for doing MUT. The first is one put out by EA which has a sortable, searchable list of all of the cards in the base set: Here. The other is a third party website called MUT Head, which also has a listing of the cards in the base set, but more importantly it allows you to build teams and save them: Here. In either case, I found these sites super helpful in figuring out the best team I could build within my budget.

As for my actual team, I'm currently running Speed Run and Pass Rush. I think that Speed Run is clearly better than Ground and Pound because Elusiveness seems better than Trucking (especially if you've already got a high trucking back like Lynch, Foster, Richardson, or Morris). I'm not 100% certain on what to run for defense, but I think that Pass Rush is probably better than Run Stuff because Pursuit seems more important than Tackling, but I'm not certain that either of those are better than the pass defense chemistries.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
How are you guys calling plays for online games? I'm new to playing against other people, and while I'm doing fine against the CPU with my team, I'm getting destroyed playing other people. Constantly getting my passes intercepted, my inside and outside runs are rarely going for over 5 yards, and whatever defense I call isn't stopping much, even if I just call plays and put my controller down. Some of you seem to be doing well, so how are you doing it?

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Drunk Badger posted:

How are you guys calling plays for online games? I'm new to playing against other people, and while I'm doing fine against the CPU with my team, I'm getting destroyed playing other people. Constantly getting my passes intercepted, my inside and outside runs are rarely going for over 5 yards, and whatever defense I call isn't stopping much, even if I just call plays and put my controller down. Some of you seem to be doing well, so how are you doing it?

So you want to make sure you at least have your defensive audibles set. I say this because facing no-huddle is harder then having to choose a play you've never used. It could be the difference in getting a turnover or allowing a 70yd bomb. However, this year's Madden requires you to make a custom playbook to do this. I would just choose the def playbook you're already using and rename it.

As far as passing is concerned: you want to make sure you have at least two routes that can beat man coverage, and another 1 or 2 to beat zone. The following are what I use to do so:

Man
-Outs
-Ins
-Outside and inside slants
-Drag
-Curl - ONLY IF THE DB ISN'T PRESSING
-Deep outside curl

Zone
-INSIDE SLANTS
-Ins
-Deep and short curls
-Drag
-Streaks - timed perfectly
-Any formation that bunches up your WRs

I taught myself how to play zone def while manning the safety. This is very dangerous and requires a lot of practice because I've been doing it since '04 and I still get beat sometimes. It's more about noticing a route that's being abused, and baiting the player into that throw.

In fact, that's the epitome of defense. Pay attention to the formations, personnel, and which type of plays are being called in them. For instance, I played a guy who ran it every time he was in 4WR. Lastly, disguise your def by using the pre-snap menu. This is especially helpful with man-coverage because the player usually suspects zone, which requires quick throws and can usually result in a pick when done timely. Again, I like to let the guy think he's go a go-to play until the time is right to make a move.

E: Hope this helps

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

John Brown posted:

So you want to make sure you at least have your defensive audibles set. I say this because facing no-huddle is harder then having to choose a play you've never used. It could be the difference in getting a turnover or allowing a 70yd bomb. However, this year's Madden requires you to make a custom playbook to do this. I would just choose the def playbook you're already using and rename it.

As far as passing is concerned: you want to make sure you have at least two routes that can beat man coverage, and another 1 or 2 to beat zone. The following are what I use to do so:

Man
-Outs
-Ins
-Outside and inside slants
-Drag
-Curl - ONLY IF THE DB ISN'T PRESSING
-Deep outside curl

Zone
-INSIDE SLANTS
-Ins
-Deep and short curls
-Drag
-Streaks - timed perfectly
-Any formation that bunches up your WRs

I taught myself how to play zone def while manning the safety. This is very dangerous and requires a lot of practice because I've been doing it since '04 and I still get beat sometimes. It's more about noticing a route that's being abused, and baiting the player into that throw.

In fact, that's the epitome of defense. Pay attention to the formations, personnel, and which type of plays are being called in them. For instance, I played a guy who ran it every time he was in 4WR. Lastly, disguise your def by using the pre-snap menu. This is especially helpful with man-coverage because the player usually suspects zone, which requires quick throws and can usually result in a pick when done timely. Again, I like to let the guy think he's go a go-to play until the time is right to make a move.

E: Hope this helps

What was said above and don't be afraid to change your RB to pass protect if you are getting hurried. Be patient and wait for the routes to develop and don't be afraid to check it down to the RB, throw it away or even take a sack over an INT.

The total control passing is AMAZING this year though and you can lead your receiver into holes in the defense and keep it away from the DB's and safeties.

Also, learn when to throw a good screen...it's very easy to pick up some big yards unexpectedly and punish the defenses for blitzing too heavily.

Hope it helps!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Yuzenn posted:

What was said above and don't be afraid to change your RB to pass protect if you are getting hurried. Be patient and wait for the routes to develop and don't be afraid to check it down to the RB, throw it away or even take a sack over an INT.

The total control passing is AMAZING this year though and you can lead your receiver into holes in the defense and keep it away from the DB's and safeties.

Also, learn when to throw a good screen...it's very easy to pick up some big yards unexpectedly and punish the defenses for blitzing too heavily.

Hope it helps!

I never use designed screens because traditional routes to the HB seem to be less risky.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Eifert Posting posted:

I never use designed screens because traditional routes to the HB seem to be less risky.

Then you are missing out my friend.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

Yuzenn posted:

Hope it helps!

It's been helping so far, at least to the point where I'm not loosing as badly and even winning by a minor margin!

Is there a way to set a custom playbook in MUT? I've downloaded some that seem to have a good mix of plays, but I'm stuck picking a playbook from the cards I have.

Maybe someone would be up for a game or two to see what I'm doing right and wrong? I have the PS3 version.

Kittykisses
Mar 20, 2009
Has anyone seen anything new about the next gen versions of Madden? The only thing I've really seen so far in terms of gameplay is footage from practice mode back at E3.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

Kittykisses posted:

Has anyone seen anything new about the next gen versions of Madden? The only thing I've really seen so far in terms of gameplay is footage from practice mode back at E3.

I'm dying for some info, too.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

Kittykisses posted:

It looks pretty cool, imo.

con
Aug 5, 2004

There's always next year...

Kittykisses posted:

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/madden-nfl-football/660564-madden-25-next-gen-hd-screens-gameinformer.html

Apparently Game Informer has a write-up about it this month.

Black Jasper
May 8, 2009
Working my way through the skills trainer, I do pretty horribly at User Catching. Maybe I haven't logged enough hours, but I cant see the advantage of this as opposed to just letting the CPU catch passes for me. Does anybody routinely hit B to switch to the receiver, run to the target, then catch the pass manually?

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I almost always seem to gently caress it up when I try to actually move with the receiver to the ball. I sometimes switch and don't do anything but hold triangle...I doubt that actually helps, though.

It seems easier to get interceptions as a DB than it is to user catch with a receiver.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
The only thing I play besides the league here is MUT. I am falling victim to being a fan of the running QB, and run option plays with success and have fun, but since I do it so much I don't have many go to pass plays like in years past. If I need big yards I run with my QB. Why did I embrace the cheese :argh:

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Michael Corleone posted:

The only thing I play besides the league here is MUT. I am falling victim to being a fan of the running QB, and run option plays with success and have fun, but since I do it so much I don't have many go to pass plays like in years past. If I need big yards I run with my QB. Why did I embrace the cheese :argh:

Yeah the read option is great. The only downside I've seen is that most QBs have a much lower carry rating than the RB and are therefore much more likely to fumble the ball when hit.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Mr.Kite posted:

Yeah the read option is great. The only downside I've seen is that most QBs have a much lower carry rating than the RB and are therefore much more likely to fumble the ball when hit.

My experience as well. Unless I have blockers or a clear cut juke to the left or right to gain more yards, I always end my QB runs a little early by sliding (double tapping square). It seems to be for the best.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
Is this UT similar to other games' where only your starters use a contract when playing a game?

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
I think anyone that plays on offense or defense will use a contract, but special teams play doesn't count, except K and P obviously.

I carry a full 53 man roster because I am anal and need any edge I can get. I have 4 QB's--Fantasy Prior, 80 RG3, Regular Pryor, and a 75 Tom Brady to use to run QB run plays and then Brady to be my QB if the first 2 guys get hurt because Regular Pryor can't throw, RG3 I guess I keep to sub in to throw on a pass play, but TP is doing OK so far. I also have 4 RB's and a quality second DLine unit to sub in with the quick sub when my starters get tired. I also kept 2 of the lower rated starter team LB's because they are fast and are special teams demons.

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana
*Note - I redeemed all the codes for Xbox360, so sorry to PS'ers but don't bother.

Hey, I'm not going to be getting the game anytime soon, and I have 14 of the MUT codes from the PepsiMax promo (I work for a vending company, didn't drink hardly any of that myself.) I would put them here, but I really don't want just one person (especially lurkers) to get them all.
I don't have PM's so just leave me an email I can send to.
I'll check back here before the end of this week - it's tuesday now but I have work and doctors and stuff to go to, been fighting a nasty sinus infection.
If the list doesn't get filled I'll just randomly add the extra codes to whoever signs up first/second/etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

College Slice

Coffee Wolf posted:

*Note - I redeemed all the codes for Xbox360, so sorry to PS'ers but don't bother.
I think this means 360 owners should be the ones asking. cletus at fourdown.org, if so!

Thanks!

• Locked thread