Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Sinatrapod posted:

Also I got jumpscared by something called a "Star Vampire" which suddenly appeared in the headlights of my poor lovely hatchback, which killed my car so I spent a terrified night running through a forest hunted by a thing from beyond the stars and I was reminded how cool this game can be sometimes.

I won't spoil the mechanics, but the star vampire is something a contributor recently made entirely with EOCs (no code!) and is one of the cooler monsters in the game in terms of how it works and what its potential counters are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Pigbuster posted:

If you find an extension cord you can connect it to the solar panel and then connect the other end to the power grid/battery, and it should transfer across z levels. If the distance is too far you can extend extension cords with other ones to make it longer. Note that sometimes, mostly with old content, stairways don't have the same x,y coordinates so you sorta teleport when going up/down, which can throw off the cord's length. Shouldn't come up too often, though.

The cord's length is calculated from direct distance to the originating square rather than number of squares traveled

This is most relevant in lmoe shelters where a cord connected to the middle of a solar stack on the roof can reach about 80% of the interior squares

Engorged Pedipalps fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 27, 2024

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I appreciate that an overextended power cable always detaches cleanly from the wall when you inevitably waddle away from your 4 tile wall leash (jumper cable powering CBMs.) If it was more like real life, I'd be going through extension cords and appliance cords like candy.

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!

worm girl posted:

I won't spoil the mechanics, but the star vampire is something a contributor recently made entirely with EOCs (no code!) and is one of the cooler monsters in the game in terms of how it works and what its potential counters are.

Well, for my part I found that unloading an entire magazine of 5.56 on autofire while barely aiming in combination with absolutely showering it liters of my own blood worked, kind of. As long as you don't mind mummifying yourself in bandages and antiseptic for an entire weekend.

Any Mind over Matter fans know what the Brilliant Flash pyrokinetic power is all about? Its obvious use seems to be blinding enemies, but zombies seem to give absolutely no shits about getting flashbanged in my tentative tests.
[Edit: Nevermind, they care plenty about being flashbanged, I'm just a poor observer]

Sinatrapod fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 28, 2024

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Could use some advice: what are some things to do during the winter?

My plan was to spend most of the winter forging a faraday chainmail suit and all the assorted inserts it needs to be competitive armor. Well, it's Winter 26 now and I finished the actual suit, and am working on the last insert with roughly a day of labor left. Turns out that those armor crafting proficiencies count for a LOT -- one of pieces says it's being sped up by 22x the normal speed now that I have all of them. Also, I was able to find and disassemble 4 pianos for chainmail parts, which also saved me a bunch of effort. When that's done, then I'm running out of ideas.

* In order to keep from freezing to death, I need to wear a ton of bulky stuff that makes me largely ineffective in melee due to encumbrance, not to mention its crap armor values. Even taking down a dermatik in the road was mostly me doing a spirited impression of Randy from A Christmas Story, only with a combat knife in my hand and the world's worst Eskrima performance.

(In that respect, finding the euphoria coat was a big help since it is 80 warmth, and its inherent +9 speed isn't bad either.)
* I have a crapload of food. The 1800 wheat I harvested and processed is roughly 5 million kcal, not to mention the huge pile of pemmican in the freezer. Even with me putting in 6000-10,000 kcal worth of work a day, that's gonna make it through.
* I've read all my books, and I have most of the ones outside of laboratories.

Thoughts? I am somewhat considering building a faction camp closer to Rubik so I don't have to drive halfway across the map every week for regular meat replacements. I have no idea how I'll come up with the wood I need for that, though...

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Grab more proficiencies? There's some first aid ones that can be good. Could also branch out into ranged weapons or do some melee weapon practice. Upgrading the faction camp with more stuff could be good as well. Maybe craft some of the powered thermal underwear so that you can go out in the cold with less bulky gear on?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

* In order to keep from freezing to death, I need to wear a ton of bulky stuff that makes me largely ineffective in melee due to encumbrance, not to mention its crap armor values. Even taking down a dermatik in the road was mostly me doing a spirited impression of Randy from A Christmas Story, only with a combat knife in my hand and the world's worst Eskrima performance.

(In that respect, finding the euphoria coat was a big help since it is 80 warmth, and its inherent +9 speed isn't bad either.)

It’s probably not going to take you all winter but look into crafting a https://cdda.chezzo.com/thermal_suit . It eats batteries like crazy but it gives +60(?) heat for basically no encumbrance.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Cataclysm: I was able to find and disassemble 4 pianos for chainmail parts, which also saved me a bunch of effort.

reader. moderator. this is your moment. please do the needful.

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019
I've been reading the Excellent LP by worm girl, and decided to check and see if there was a current thread on the game. Glad to see it's still active and being worked on! I've got a few questions, though. How is the game in its current state?

And more importantly, is the Steam version worth it at all? I skimmed the reviews and a lot of them seemed to be complaining about the dev team or mentioning it was out of date. But my brain is comparing it to the Dwarf Fortress steam version, which was absolutely worth the money.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

IIRC it's identical to the launcher version. It just serves as a way to give some money to somebody who may or may not be associated in some way with some of the major contributors.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The steam version is sanctioned by Kevin and an assortment of major contributors on the basis that they don't have to have anything to do with it, so the actual Steam implementation is done by a single guy and he gets all of the proceeds personally (I seem to recall that the idea was that this guy would be able to work on the project as a full time job but I have no idea if this has actually happened).

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
The thing about the Steam version is that it's not updated regularly. So for instance, some of the mods you might be looking for, or recent balance changes, etc. may not be represented there but will in the launcher version.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Hey folks, I saw a report that one of the links in the OP has been possibly replaced with malware. I've edited out the mentioned link!

Perhaps a new thread is in order? If anyone would like to write up a new OP, go ahead and start a new thread and drop a link here. Otherwise, let me or one of the other mods know if the OP needs editing again or if anything else needs to be removed. Keep us updated! And please let me know if I edited out the wrong thing or whatever.

Cheers m'dears

e: I regret to inform you that the thread title suggested above is too long and won't fit. If anyone gets a super good idea please report this post with your idea and I will fix it

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Made a couple more edits to the OP. Do not click through a browser malware warning! Thanks all

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

This thread is probably due for a refresh. The OP was posted 11 years ago, the OP themselves haven't posted in this thread in 7 years or on SA at all in 3 years. The game also looks quite a bit better nowadays than it did.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

If anyone knows the game well enough to put an OP together, that would be delightful.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Entire thread looking at Worm Girl like:

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Do I make a new thread or

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

If you're up to it, I think itd be great

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

worm girl posted:

Do I make a new thread or

Yeah if you feel like it, that'd be lovely.:)

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
New thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4053214

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Amazing thank you! Someone remind me in a day or two and I'll close this one.