Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM
Welp my longest run died. Found a bow and arrow set, and they really are lovely when you're not skilled at them, ended up getting my torso beaten to hell and couldn't stop the bleeding I had with rags. I was doing pretty great with my pointy stick. Stabbing enemies when they climb through the windows. Had a smoker zombie see me through a window in a house. Didn't think I could fight him effectively since he was making smoke everywhere. So I set some clothes in the room on fire and ran out the back door. Burned the house down on top of him. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

We should be able to butcher corpses for fat and make tallow candles with them.
You can't slaughter corpses for fat (yet), but if you're set on candles, raiding Giant Bee Hives for wax is an option.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

PiCroft posted:

Dwarf Fortress player spotted :cheeky:

And I guess you were never a cubscout! :v:

Roberto_Silencio
Mar 9, 2004

lets start advertising and make us some real money

Strudel Man posted:

You can make lightstrips, but they don't make much light.

That'll work, I'll check the menus again. I just hate being in my little hidey hole, it starts to get dark out and suddenly I can't read anything.

Lprsti99 posted:

Yeah, until you feed It enough to restore Its strength and allow It to awaken from Its eons-long slumber...

I survived one apocolypse, I can survive another. :black101: .... then once He is done ravaging the land, I'll step out and get eaten by the Bear Who Conquered Him.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.

Roberto_Silencio posted:

I probably missed it, but is there a way to make lights, like lamps for rooms?

I really wish the game had a large selection of lights you could craft, or better yet, some form of power system, so you could setup a gas generator or craft a manually powered bicycle generator, then use it to power a building or equipment. I got super lucky and found a LMOE shelter just north of the spawn location, but it is eternally pitch black inside. Fortunately I always spend a point on Night Vision since it's cheap and it makes the difference between it being hard to see and being blind in the dark.

On another note, I'm now playing the DDA nightly and it is worlds ahead of the old stable release I was playing (I don't think it was even DDA yet), especially since I can increase the game window size to nearly fullscreen instead of the 300px square box it was before. My only problem is that tile colors are very poorly chosen, or the contrast is borked or something. A lot of enemies and items are nearly black in color, which means they blend perfectly into the background. Anytime I enter a new area, I have to manually scan every tile on the screen to see if something is there; only some of the zombies (regular zombies) and wildlife (rabbits) are bright enough to see.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Hm. The description of the survival skill suggests that high levels should allow you to obtain edible meat from normally-poisonous sources, but that doesn't actually appear to be true - looking at the code, the section that determines whether the meat is edible or not makes no reference to skill levels.

Honestly, once you're decently established, the requirement to butcher corpses to prevent them from resurrecting is more annoying than anything else, particularly as all that survival you're gaining isn't getting you all that much of use. At the very least, you'd think the chance of recovering a usable bionic from shockers could increase, but the odds of it being functional are a fixed 50/50 for each.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 9, 2013

Riolith
Dec 24, 2005
The Quiescent

The King of Swag posted:

My only problem is that tile colors are very poorly chosen, or the contrast is borked or something. A lot of enemies and items are nearly black in color, which means they blend perfectly into the background. Anytime I enter a new area, I have to manually scan every tile on the screen to see if something is there; only some of the zombies (regular zombies) and wildlife (rabbits) are bright enough to see.

That doesn't sound right at all. It could be something wrong with the latest nightly build, maybe try out Jon93's repack on the third post of the first page? It has a lot of ballance changes as well and is worth checking out, just don't bother with archery on the 0.2 build (latest as of this post).

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
How do you cure Frostbite? I'm playing on a nightly build from about a week ago (I don't want to upgrade until this character dies or I get bored), and my character got frostbite on her face. Despite using my Internal Climate Control bionic and putting on a scarf, the frostbite hasn't gone away. So I went the extra mile and put on a sleeping bag too, but even though I'm listed as having a warm face (and everything else), I still have frostbite. Also, even though every body part is in green or yellow warmth, my temperature is listed as being "Very Cold (Rising!)" and has been for days. :iiam:

Is this a bug, and if so, can I debug menu it away somehow? I don't want to lose my best character to a dumb glitch.

e: nevermind, raising my face temperature to an absurd degree made it go away. gently caress what you learned in Boy Scouts, the best way to treat hypothermia is :flame:

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 9, 2013

Galm
Oct 31, 2009
What the hell is with car physics in this game? I took my semi-truck base crawler out across a bridge at 60mph, get about one map screen from the end of the bridge and smash into a car which flies out in the opposite direction. I got out to repair some minor damage, then, about 20 minutes worth of repairs later the car somehow reverses and knocks my truck into the water.

Seriously, what the gently caress.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Galm posted:

What the hell is with car physics in this game? I took my semi-truck base crawler out across a bridge at 60mph, get about one map screen from the end of the bridge and smash into a car which flies out in the opposite direction. I got out to repair some minor damage, then, about 20 minutes worth of repairs later the car somehow reverses and knocks my truck into the water.

Seriously, what the gently caress.

That's a bug. It got fixed in the nightly builds. They add features, fix bugs, and add new bugs basically every day. While I'm sure more went into it, it feels like the 'stable build' was just a release on an arbitrary day that they decided to deem official.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

I managed to set up a self sustaining hunter character by cheating my rear end off.

I wanted a fireplace I could burn wood in, cook over, and read by when it's dark out. So I built the fireplace, but 2x4s burn SO QUICK. If you put three or four 2x4s in the fireplace, it burns for like, 20 minutes in game. I cheated myself 500 2x4s with the debug menu, and on the morning of day 3 I've already used up about 3/4s of that wood. On the upside, I spawned with a module that lets me suck water out of corpses, so I pretty much have infinite water as long as I can hunt. I've just been going out, shooting some animals, grabbing water/meat, cooking it on my cheated in fire, then using the firelight to read skill books by. Of course I also had to cheat in a sleeping bag just to get to sleep.

The problem with this game is this: you can't do poo poo at night with that ridiculous 1 block sight radius after sundown. This would be fine if you could sleep through the night, but a new character without a sleeping bag will wake up every one or two minutes because of the cold. Sure, you could spend that time reading, except there's no good light source. I'm having to cheat in hundreds of 2x4s just to have light to read by. Also, logs do not last longer than 2x4s, and they're even worse, because a log just doesn't burn into nothing, it converts into a burnt log in the fireplace. Which you have to manually pick up and chop apart with a wood axe to turn into 2x4's and splintered wood.

I'd love these changes:
1. Reduce hunger and thirst rates
2. Make all water "clean" water. The clean water crafting is a pain in the rear end to do every time.
3. Make wood burn a lot longer. It's ridiculous that I need that many 2x4s to keep a fire going, and logs are useless because they're so heavy, don't burn longer, and have to be manually removed from the fireplace (which does fill up.)
4. Maybe make nights not as pitch black as they are.

I was going to say "remove spiders," but I took care of that myself. As it turns out, you can change spawn rates in the monstergroups file. I removed spiders completely after having 3 4 characters killed by them in a row.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

My only close calls so far have been from wolf spiders. Usually I run them over, but one caught me off guard getting out of my truck and in one turn had reduced my speed so much that I would never have gotten away alive. But that's what meth is for.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

a slime posted:

My only close calls so far have been from wolf spiders. Usually I run them over, but one caught me off guard getting out of my truck and in one turn had reduced my speed so much that I would never have gotten away alive. But that's what meth is for.

I've only died to a spider once. It caught me off guard just outside my fort and mauled me before I could grab the shotgun off of my motorcycle. Ever since then I file spiders under 'big nasty' and bring out the serious firepower for them.

On the upside they give you chitin and are quite scrumptious.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

Bilal posted:

I managed to set up a self sustaining hunter character by cheating my rear end off.

I wanted a fireplace I could burn wood in, cook over, and read by when it's dark out. So I built the fireplace, but 2x4s burn SO QUICK. If you put three or four 2x4s in the fireplace, it burns for like, 20 minutes in game. I cheated myself 500 2x4s with the debug menu, and on the morning of day 3 I've already used up about 3/4s of that wood. On the upside, I spawned with a module that lets me suck water out of corpses, so I pretty much have infinite water as long as I can hunt. I've just been going out, shooting some animals, grabbing water/meat, cooking it on my cheated in fire, then using the firelight to read skill books by. Of course I also had to cheat in a sleeping bag just to get to sleep.

The problem with this game is this: you can't do poo poo at night with that ridiculous 1 block sight radius after sundown. This would be fine if you could sleep through the night, but a new character without a sleeping bag will wake up every one or two minutes because of the cold. Sure, you could spend that time reading, except there's no good light source. I'm having to cheat in hundreds of 2x4s just to have light to read by. Also, logs do not last longer than 2x4s, and they're even worse, because a log just doesn't burn into nothing, it converts into a burnt log in the fireplace. Which you have to manually pick up and chop apart with a wood axe to turn into 2x4's and splintered wood.

I'd love these changes:
1. Reduce hunger and thirst rates
2. Make all water "clean" water. The clean water crafting is a pain in the rear end to do every time.
3. Make wood burn a lot longer. It's ridiculous that I need that many 2x4s to keep a fire going, and logs are useless because they're so heavy, don't burn longer, and have to be manually removed from the fireplace (which does fill up.)
4. Maybe make nights not as pitch black as they are.

I was going to say "remove spiders," but I took care of that myself. As it turns out, you can change spawn rates in the monstergroups file. I removed spiders completely after having 3 4 characters killed by them in a row.

Disassemble a flashlight to make a light-strip, it lasts basically forever and gives you enough light to read by.

mrhotdogvendor
May 28, 2006
very tired hispanic

PiCroft posted:

Also, just to say: gently caress bears. gently caress bears forever.

During my second game a bear chased me down when all I had was an axe. I got lucky and killed it, but then a electric zombie and a boomer soon followed, I managed to kill them too. I finally fell to a zombie dog after it nipped me to death.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

I got killed by a bear because I didn't see it because it was nigh invisible. Instead of having a letter representing it on the screen it was just a black square. It ambushed me when I walked out of my shelter first thing in the morning. :what:

That was not at all satisfying.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Jon93, can you share the source code to your fork? I can add a few of the bits of lower priority bullshit into the game.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I just discovered this game, and it's sounds real sweet too me! I'm trying to get into it, even if I really don't like ASCII and could do with a sleeker UI.

So, I did the tutorial but that raised some questions. First, how do you pick up items from display racks? I smashed the thing and then hurt myself when walking onto the tile to pick up stuff. Doesn't seem like I should do it that way. Also, the tutorial said it spawned a zombie for me to kill, but there's nothing in the tutorial house and I also can't leave it. I checked out the lower floor, but still nothing. I really would have liked to learn how to fire my guns. Am I just missing something or is the tutorial WIP?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

The tutorial is a self-contained thing that you're meant to quit once you're done. You can toss a grenade at a wall and escape to FREEDOM if you so choose, but you really should just start a new game.

You pick up stuff from display racks by hitting 'e' and the direction to which the rack is adjacent to you. Weapons are fired by 'w'ielding a ('r'e)loaded gun and 'f'iring it, and hitting F gives you the option for burst fire on some weapons.

Have fun.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
I'm still getting a "not a valid win32 application" when I try to run it from my 32 bit WinXP computer.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.

Cosmik Debris posted:

I'm still getting a "not a valid win32 application" when I try to run it from my 32 bit WinXP computer.

In Visual Studio (which I'm assuming this is built with), XP is a legacy build, which means that it's no longer supported and has to be specifically targeted. XP actually lacks a lot of basic system functionality that is found in Vista up, especially high performance timing functions (which are critical for most games, but not so much here) and console functionality. Hopefully someone can just build you a XP targeted version, but there is the possibility that it uses Vista+ console functions, in which case it'll never work for XP without a serious rewrite.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

The DDA build has a .cpb file that you can open with Code::Blocks which shouldn't need to have any of visual studios bullshit. Just install codeblocks, run the file, hit compile and away you go. You'll need to download the source though and if your using the Goon edition Jon will need to put the source up or build it himself.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

Ah that sounds like too much work to waste a few minutes at work here and there. Thanks for the answers though. I can still play regular DDA, just not goon DDA.

Galm
Oct 31, 2009
I scummed to get my car back, then noticed NPCs were off. NPCs are horribly buggy poo poo but I figured, why the hell not? Back into the game, I drive down the bridge and chuck a mininuke at the car the hosed me over.

I later run over some guy, on his corpse was the book "To Serve Man".
4 Recipes in it: "Jerk Jerky", "Canned Cad", "Cooked Creep", "Sap Soup".
Corpse conveniently there.

:allears: This game.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I don't really know what to do now. My character is so uber that basically nothing provides a challenge. There's no real incentive to build a bigger fort, because in an entire year of game-time I haven't been attacked once. I have a doomcar that runs right through semitrucks without getting a scratch. And megaprojects are right out, obviously. I've cleared out every dungeon on the map, and while I know I could get another map to spawn, it'd just be new versions of places I've already cleared.

Despondent, I ran through an anthill, snorting meth and training the biggest swarm of giant ants I could possibly amass. Then I turned around and started blasting my Scar-L on full auto, tossing in a few 40mm grenades for good measure. Now I'm knee-deep in ant viscera, coming down off a meth high and wondering what I'm going to do with my life.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
That's really what I would say is Cataclysm's biggest problem right now. There's just no real goal. Once you've got a full loadout of stuff there's nothing left to do with all of it. It gets boring really quickly.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
There ought to be ways to repair and improve all wearable items. Like maybe you need special materials and tools to work on army helmets or gas masks (love my gas masks), but it should be possible. It's just annoying to have everything on my equipment list be 'reinforced' except for one or two things.

Also, thing what is overpowered: tails. A long tail gives you +4 to dodge. A fuzzy tail gives you +8. That's ridiculous. You could halve those and they'd still be extremely desirable.

CharlesDexterWard
Apr 25, 2012
Well I tried a character that started with 4 tailoring, 4 survival and 2 archery and it has been my longest lived character so far. I managed to find a working car right next to a gas station. I ended up traveling the countryside in it, driving through a couple of towns. I had a few close calls but managed to swerve around the many parked cars and hit a lot of zombies. I packed the trunk with food and water from dead soldiers, scientists and from raiding farmsteads, and even got a couple of guns and ammo.

I found a couple of jerry cans and a fuel pump, so I don't have to worry about fuel for a while either.

I cleared out a megastore only to find myself under attack in the morning by reanimated zombies. That was a bad surprise, I made sure I butchered them so they wouldn't do that again.

Even though I wasn't in dire need of any food or water, I decided to venture into town in search of a mechanical book to learn mechanics from. I parked my car outside of the nearest town someways and snuck through some houses encountering minimal Zombie resistance. I got into the library but found nothing but junk.

There was a town just down the road so I got back in my car and drove offroad to the next town. I went to stop by a fuel station to fill up but ended up losing control and crashing, losing enough wheels to be put out of action. Luckily I had a wrench and jack in the trunk and there were some cars nearby. I got interrupted a couple of times changing the wheels but eventually I got my car refitted and good to go. Inbetween all of this I managed to get some more 9mm ammo for my Tec-9 and I picked up a Remington rifle and some ammo.

I rode out of town, cleared out a farmhouse, and then rode back to a Hotel opposite the megastore I cleared out. I had previously cleared out the Hotel so I had a good, if unfortified safehouse.

This is my best character so far, I think finding a working car was essential. It made clearing out the megastore really easy because they just came out in a big horde ready for running over. Things aren't going perfectly, my character has a pretty bad opiate addiction and is constantly in pain, but I'm hoping if I wait it out it will go away.

I guess my next step is to fortify the Hotel and get a Mechanical book so that I can actually do more repairs to my car rather than only change wheels.

I am going to be annoyed when this character dies!

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm currently working on a build from the most recent nightly build to add in some stuff, chief among them being the ability to repair non-wool/cloth etc stuff. I'm going to add plastic bits you can salvage from plastic objects, such as plastic bottles, which you can use to reinforce and repair kevlar, military rucksacks, gasmasks and the like. I'll post it up in an hour or so and you can give it a go.

If Jon wants, he can post up his Goon build source and I'll throw it in there, from the looks of things, the changes are trivial.

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM
I just found out how you can use a sewing kit and tailoring to repair and reinforce clothes. As well as make non fitting clothes fit. Lowering their encumbrance or even taking encumbrance away. This changes everything. Also just kinda found out you can disassemble furniture and use the boards and nails to fortify the house. Finally making a real safehouse and making the area with spray-paint so in case I die my next character can find it. It would be nice if the goon build wasn't crashing so much though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

PiCroft posted:

If Jon wants, he can post up his Goon build source and I'll throw it in there, from the looks of things, the changes are trivial.
A public Git repository for GoonDDA would probably be a good idea. I've been playing around with the source myself and I've already figured out stuff like making intelligence influence the rate at which you learn skills, which some people have been asking for. I haven't tried it yet, but from the looks of it, adding additional bionics and mutations and such wouldn't be too hard, either.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Anyone knows how I can use the Topaz-8 font with the latest windows SDL experimental version from the DDA site? the fixedsys font looks really crap but the build runs much better for me.

Riolith
Dec 24, 2005
The Quiescent

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Anyone knows how I can use the Topaz-8 font with the latest windows SDL experimental version from the DDA site? the fixedsys font looks really crap but the build runs much better for me.

Put Topaz-8.ttf in the font file then edit FONTDATA to look like it used too.

Now for my own question, how do you use bottles of disinfectant? I tried just activating it when I had a bite wound and the bandage style location menu popped up, but I couldn't tell were my bite wound was so I just guessed and it did nothing. I am still using GoonDA 0.2 (where is 0.3 Jon!).

Wow, that new build does run really well.

Riolith fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 11, 2013

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Is archery nerfed in 0.6git? It doesn't seem very useful.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Okay, I got it so you can (a)ctivate a knife, select "cut plastic" and select a plastic bottle to get chunks of plastic which you can then use in conjunction with sewing kits to reinforce any clothing that has a plastic or kevlar material tag.

It took me longer than I expected to faff with the item creation stuff so this is disgustingly hacky. I'll upload it it tomorrow night once I've had a chance to properly sort it out.

Is there anything else regarding clothing repair/reinforcement people want in the meantime? Kevlar vests have the kevlar material tag and since there's literally nothing else in the game that has this tag, using plastic chunks to repair it is a temporary measure until I can think of another way to obtain kevlar. Once I get a chance, I'll make it so you can cannibalize other kevlar vests for chunks of kevlar and use that instead but beyond that I've no idea where you would get kevlar outside of cutting up a kevlar vest.

As it stands, though, you can repair those nifty clothing items that you previously couldn't, such as gasmasks and military rucksacks. Tomorrow I'll add the ability to repair metallic items like army helmets.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Riolith posted:

Now for my own question, how do you use bottles of disinfectant? I tried just activating it when I had a bite wound and the bandage style location menu popped up, but I couldn't tell were my bite wound was so I just guessed and it did nothing. I am still using GoonDA 0.2 (where is 0.3 Jon!).

When I do that with a bite, I get a "Clean Wound" option below the body parts like with first aid.

Riolith
Dec 24, 2005
The Quiescent
^^^ Maybe I am just blind. I hope it works because my guy gets pissed when I have him cauterize his bite wounds.

PiCroft posted:

Okay, I got it so you can (a)ctivate a knife, select "cut plastic" and select a plastic bottle to get chunks of plastic which you can then use in conjunction with sewing kits to reinforce any clothing that has a plastic or kevlar material tag.

Is this how it works for fur item as well? I haven't tried in a while but I recall being surprised I couldn't reinforce a fur trench-coat one time.

Speaking of trench-coats, what determines if you are waterproof or not? I swear in one game I was fine with a trench-coat and an army helmet and in my next game I was not.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Riolith posted:

Speaking of trench-coats, what determines if you are waterproof or not? I swear in one game I was fine with a trench-coat and an army helmet and in my next game I was not.

I think you either need a raincoat or at least 30 warmth in your torso slot.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

PiCroft posted:

Is there anything else regarding clothing repair/reinforcement people want in the meantime?
Not really a request, but one thing I've halfway thought about to enhance high-level tailoring is to have more than one level of fitting. Like, if you were really good, you could have 'superbly fitted' items that gave 2 less than base encumbrance. This would also probably have to go along with a change that caps fitted encumbrance at 0, since negative encumbrance doesn't really make any sense for anything except maybe sneakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Strudel Man posted:

Not really a request, but one thing I've halfway thought about to enhance high-level tailoring is to have more than one level of fitting. Like, if you were really good, you could have 'superbly fitted' items that gave 2 less than base encumbrance. This would also probably have to go along with a change that caps fitted encumbrance at 0, since negative encumbrance doesn't really make any sense for anything except maybe sneakers.

What, you mean you don't put on two skirts and a pair of long underwear before you go running?