Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

(and can't post for 690 days!)

e: Oops, madposted.

Seriously though it takes zero effort to say something that will offend someone while crafting a funny poop joke actually requires wit and talent.

The joke of Cartman calling Kyle a Jew is that somewhere in the world someone is offended by it and that lends you a sense of superiority that is personally gratifying.

The poop joke at the end of the Chef Dies episode is a masterclass in scatological humor.

Sexgun Rasputin fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Sexgun Rasputin posted:

I too enjoy South Park for the way it normalizes racial and homophobic slurs, because the worst slur that can be leveled at me is that I am a dipshit hipster with my head up my rear end. It gives me a grand sense of superiority to imagine all the people getting offended by stuff that I personally find inoffensive. Sometimes I'll just switch on Call Of Duty and stroke myself to the sounds of 8 year olds calling each other faggots and Jews.

Regardless of your point about the normalization of slurs, it's really loving stupid to assume a show that's won five Emmys and set ratings records for basic cable in its first few seasons, and continues to boast some of the best ratings on its network fifteen years later, is only being watched by white male hipsters with their heads up their rear end or whatever.

South Park was a massive cultural phenomenon around the turn of the millennium, and is still a popular show. I'm sure at least a couple of black people watch it!

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Regardless of your point about the normalization of slurs, it's really loving stupid to assume a show that's won five Emmys and set ratings records for basic cable in its first few seasons, and continues to boast some of the best ratings on its network fifteen years later, is only being watched by white male hipsters with their heads up their rear end or whatever.

South Park was a massive cultural phenomenon around the turn of the millennium, and is still a popular show. I'm sure at least a couple of black people watch it!

I'm in my mid-20s, I know what South Park is. I was specifically addressing the poster that said they didn't see what the big deal was because they could totally be called a hipster and that's basically the same as a racial slur so whatevs bro just be hard like me.

M&T are obviously great talents and brilliant storytellers and funny dudes no doubt, but they're also lazy narrow-minded dorks sometimes. I just hope they lean towards their strengths and don't try to educate me about sociopolitical stuff or try to convince me it's cool to call people faggots or whatever because it's grating and unfunny.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Sexgun Rasputin posted:

Seriously though it takes zero effort to say something that will offend someone while crafting a funny poop joke actually requires wit and talent.

The joke of Cartman calling Kyle a Jew is that somewhere in the world someone is offended by it and that lends you a sense of superiority that is personally gratifying.

If you think the joke of Cartman calling Kyle a Jew is that you're supposed to empathize with Cartman and laugh at the people who are offended by it, you aren't getting the joke.

(Hint: Cartman is a monter.)

(That said, South Park definitely has lots of Bad Fans who take the joke in bad faith and find it funny for exactly the same reason. So did Dave Chapelle and it's literally a large part of what drove him off the air, when too many people found him funny because he was reinforcing their rear end in a top hat stereotypes when what he had set out to do was make fun of them.)

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Is the PC special edition not available outside of the US? Amazon won't ship it out of course (the preorder, at least) and Amazon UK nor any local Australian retailers list the special edition for PC.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

CaptainPsyko posted:

If you think the joke of Cartman calling Kyle a Jew is that you're supposed to empathize with Cartman and laugh at the people who are offended by it, you aren't getting the joke.

(Hint: Cartman is a monter.)

Yeah, anybody in doubt about what we the audience are supposed to think of Cartman should watch (or re-watch) Scott Tenorman Must Die.

Cartman is a raging sociopath. He's bigoted, selfish and completely lacking in empathy, and none of his "friends" even like him. He's That Guy, the one person in a group that nobody wants to hang out with but nobody wants to tell off either. Anything he says is meant as a reflection of how big of a piece of poo poo he is. The Joke is that Cartman is an rear end in a top hat (and he's typically the butt of said joke), not that it's funny to call people Jews.

Sondlar
Sep 9, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

I wasn't offended, but I would never blame anyone for being repulsed over that scene in GTA. That poo poo was gnarly as gently caress, and I'm not easily made uncomfortable by violence.

This is comedy, and in my mind the only way comedy can be offensive is if it's lazy and bad. Which South Park is not.

Of course it was gnarly. I certainly wasn't expecting to see some guy's nuts get smashed into a bloodstain, I was just annoyed by people not understanding how it fit into the context of the story and the dark, dark humor that GTA uses. Granted, it isn't really all that funny and had me thinking afterwards that if Rockstar weren't so horribly clandestine and secretive when it comes to writing their games they should be hiring actual comedians to do their work rather than their stale but still relevant somehow humor. But reading how people wanted to return the game after that bit made me want to roll my eyes down the stairs, after all it is GTA, it's not like it's anything really worse than they've done before...it was just onscreen now.

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah, anybody in doubt about what we the audience are supposed to think of Cartman should watch (or re-watch) Scott Tenorman Must Die.

Cartman is a raging sociopath. He's bigoted, selfish and completely lacking in empathy, and none of his "friends" even like him. He's That Guy, the one person in a group that nobody wants to hang out with but nobody wants to tell off either. Anything he says is meant as a reflection of how big of a piece of poo poo he is. The Joke is that Cartman is an rear end in a top hat (and he's typically the butt of said joke), not that it's funny to call people Jews.

He's also brilliant, cunning, and (imo) ties with Randy and Butters as the funniest character on the show. I personally was rooting for Cartman when he fed Scott his parents. I'm not trying to say that that's socially irresponsible or something but it's a lot more complicated than "he's the character you love to hate."

Clearly though he's a character people love to imitate and for a whole lot of people the entire appeal of South Park is how :lol: offensive it is. That's cool I guess it just irritates me when people stroke their internet dick about how they don't feel the feelings other people feel and they are thusly superior specimens of humanity when in fact that's kind of the definition of a poo poo person.

The torture in GTA and the racial slurs in SP are entirely different issues. If SP:TSOT has a minigame where you shout racial slurs in a black child's face for 15 minutes until their self esteem is crushed then the analogy is apt.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

King Vidiot posted:

Cartman works and is a great character because he eventually almost always gets his comeuppance. Like you couldn't just have Cartman be an rear end in a top hat to everyone without any repercussions or else he'd be a very unlikeable character. With a few rare exceptions where he wins (Scott Tenorman, not being beaten by the midget): he gets beat up by token at the end of the Christan rock band episode. He gets in trouble because he was naked infront of a whole crowd of people in Good Times With Weapons. He gets his own amusement park and 1 million dollars but then by the end he has lost absolutely everything. The AWESOME-O episode is basically just Cartman losing for a solid 22 minutes. I mean Matt & Trey have stated that Cartman is their favorite character, but they also think AWESOME-O is hilarious because Cartman is losing the entire time.

Though occasionally they do make the racist things Cartman says true in their world. Like how he claimed all jews had a bag of gold around their necks and it turned out to be true when he has Kyle at gunpoint.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

That example isn't really supposed to be funny because it's "Racist but true!" though. It's just completely loving absurd and true, it just happens to also be racist.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Hakkesshu posted:

I wasn't offended, but I would never blame anyone for being repulsed over that scene in GTA. That poo poo was gnarly as gently caress, and I'm not easily made uncomfortable by violence.

This is comedy, and in my mind the only way comedy can be offensive is if it's lazy and bad. Which South Park is not.

On the same note, I don't blame anyone for being repulsed or just mildly offended at South Park's humor or the humor of kind (ironic racism/sexism they like to derogatorily call it) or for expressing it. Its just when people start forming crusades out of it that it gets annoying.

I just want to be an immature rear end in a top hat that laughs at South Park, ok? Its funny :mad:

CaptainPsyko posted:

(That said, South Park definitely has lots of Bad Fans who take the joke in bad faith and find it funny for exactly the same reason. So did Dave Chapelle and it's literally a large part of what drove him off the air, when too many people found him funny because he was reinforcing their rear end in a top hat stereotypes when what he had set out to do was make fun of them.)

That's just how it is. When you have ironic/sarcastic humor where you facetiously emulate terrible people, there's the possibility of those terrible people taking it seriously. Nothing you can do about it, its not like the South Park producers should be held responsible because they weren't clear enough in their irony and idiots used the show to support their arguments.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Why is "The Jew" a class? Why isn't there a "Canadian" class? Jew isn't funny at all as a class, or if it is I don't get the joke, the South Park Canadians are actually really funny and I want to play as total unclefucker.

Jew is a class because it's a callback to one episode about Lord of the Rings where Cartman tells Kyle he can't be Paladin because Jews can't be Paladin, but he can be Jew instead.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Anyone aware if GameStop will have anything special if you pre-order from them? When I asked some clerks there, they began describing the old "Good Times With Weapons" DLC that I'm pretty sure no longer exists.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Looks like it's been delayed again, to March 2014.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

miscellaneous14 posted:

Well, dang. :smith: At least I can play the new x-com dlc and baldur's gate re-release.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

miscellaneous14 posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Huh, that almost sounded like marketing speak for Ubisoft sticking their big fat dick up Obsidian's rear end to make some... "hip"... changes to the game. Maybe I'm reading too much out of it though.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Eh, this is Obsidian we're talking about - their definition of done isn't exactly the same as our's. The game might very well need this extra time.

Dec 26, 2012

Pimpmust posted:

Huh, that almost sounded like marketing speak for Ubisoft sticking their big fat dick up Obsidian's rear end to make some... "hip"... changes to the game. Maybe I'm reading too much out of it though.

No, I got that impression too.

quote:

Apparently, quite a bit more. “Within three weeks after acquiring the game, we sadly realized we had to turn this thing upside down if we hoped to deliver the experience everybody wanted,” says Ubisoft North America’s president Laurent Detoc. “It’s been such a major overhaul to get to the point where we are that we couldn’t let it go, even if that meant missing December.”

:ohdear: We'll see, I guess.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

That episode is what made Cartman my favorite character, am I a bad person?

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
This could just mean that THQ dumped most of its' budget towards marketing instead of making sure the game turned out alright (it wouldn't be the first time), so now Ubisoft is giving them some time to get it in better shape. And you know, considering Obsidian's unfortunate history, I don't think giving them more dev time is a bad thing.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

True, I don't mind as long as they get you know, paid.

(Hell, I wouldn't mind if they pulled a Gearbox and have secretly been funneling all their South Park money into Project Eternity or something)

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Pimpmust posted:

Yeah, but Trey and Matt are still on board with it. I don't think Ubisoft will insert a Poochy or anything like that without them throwing a shitfit.

What I'm not too clear on is if Obsidian is still developing it, or if Ubisoft is "fixing" it themselves.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

SheepNameKiller posted:

That episode is what made Cartman my favorite character, am I a bad person?

Perhaps. But I'm right there with you, if that's any consolation.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I trust Obsidian more than I trust ubisoft. What could Obsidian have screwed up that bad that Ubi has to "flip it upside down"?

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Sexgun Rasputin posted:

The poop joke at the end of the Chef Dies episode is a masterclass in scatological humor.

That whole episode was cheap, boring and worst of all expected. I don't know why I thought they were above that kind of garbage but it solidified them as two manchildren who think they have more wit and talent than they actually do.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
gently caress off, Ubisoft. Seriously. loving cunts. That just means "hey we had to delay so we could require you to log into UPLAY now!!!"

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

KoRMaK posted:

I trust Obsidian more than I trust ubisoft. What could Obsidian have screwed up that bad that Ubi has to "flip it upside down"?

It's not necessarily an Obsidian thing. Up until their last year or two, THQ was making some really godawful decisions, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they were trying to push the game out way before it was ready.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Ubi delayed two other games within the last week as well, I wonder what's going on over there.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

SheepNameKiller posted:

Ubi delayed two other games within the last week as well, I wonder what's going on over there.

Well, Ubisoft was going to be launching several titles concurrently on both PS4/XBO, so either it was a case of those games needing way more polish or just them realizing that they'd essentially be competing with themselves by releasing both AC4 and Watch Dogs in the same month.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

miscellaneous14 posted:

It's not necessarily an Obsidian thing. Up until their last year or two, THQ was making some really godawful decisions, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they were trying to push the game out way before it was ready.

A developer would never do this to obsidian

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Gyshall posted:

A developer would never do this to obsidian

From what I've heard, Obsidian has genuinely had a lot of problems as a studio with working to a schedule, even when their publishers aren't haranguing them. It could be that!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Android Blues posted:

From what I've heard, Obsidian has genuinely had a lot of problems as a studio with working to a schedule, even when their publishers aren't haranguing them. It could be that!

Which game would that be? KOTOR 2 had a surprise 6 month cut in the dev cycle, New Vegas had all its QA done by Bethesda, and DSIII was released totally complete. I know Alpha Protocol had some issues with being scrapped and remade at least once, but that's the only one I can think of. And even that had that weird delay by Sega after it was finished.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Which game would that be? KOTOR 2 had a surprise 6 month cut in the dev cycle, New Vegas had all its QA done by Bethesda, and DSIII was released totally complete. I know Alpha Protocol had some issues with being scrapped and remade at least once, but that's the only one I can think of. And even that had that weird delay by Sega after it was finished.

With AP, apparently Sega was all "Naaaaaaah it's done" and wouldn't let them release any patches or keep developing anything on it in the 6 months between when they finished it and when it came out.
It was still surprisingly solid and okay in it's current state, especially for a super complex and branching RPG, but with a patch it would have been rock solid. They just weren't allowed to actually make one.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I'm thinking specifically of their Aliens RPG, which was apparently in a huge development slump for a long time and eventually cancelled because the publisher wasn't willing to wait any more.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Gyshall posted:

gently caress off, Ubisoft. Seriously. loving cunts. That just means "hey we had to delay so we could require you to log into UPLAY now!!!"

I doubt they would miss the Christmas season over that.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

What doesn't add up to me is that they announced the December date just a couple of months ago (August?), but only now they're saying "We found out it needed a LOT of work right after we acquired it." Well, that was back in the beginning of the year, so why commit to the December release date half a year after you realized it needed a lot more work done to it?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
It's possible it required even more work than they had anticipated. I think worst case scenario they just didnt wanna face off against the typical Christmas window so theyre moving it to a time when less stuff comes out. It seems a bit premature that theyre doing it just to gut it and turn it into something its not.

mibrom
Apr 17, 2006
38.293 year old virgin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAbMBx9bZic

Some game play footage that was just released today (I think), thought I'd share since i didn't see it here yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That's a surprisingly engaging combat system. :psyduck:

• Locked thread