Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

As you might know, South Park: The Stick of Truth is a long awaited RPG which has been developed by Obsidian Entertainment.

Initially published by the now defunct THQ and slated for a March 5th 2013 release date, many people assumed the worst after THQ went bankrupt, the release date passed by unceremoniously and months of radio silence on details about the game ensued.

But those fears of cancellation or development hell can be allayed, because South Park The Stick of Truth is back! It was at E3 this year and making the rounds with a hype building publicity blitz to remind everybody that this is still in fact a thing that's happening.

An abridged history for people who haven’t been following the developments around this game...

-A South Park RPG developed by Obsidian was announced way back in late 2011
-It was shown off at E3 last year, where Matt and Trey took the piss out of Microsoft’s presentation and the first Stick of Truth trailer was revealed
-On Nov 5th 2012 the game was delayed until 2014 fiscal year, aka April 2013
-On Dec 19th 2012 THQ officially filed for bankruptcy, though they still expected to survive by being sold to Clearlake Capital Group
-January 2013 the judge handling their bankruptcy case kyboshes those plans, and forces THQs assets to be sold individually
-January 25th it is revealed Ubisoft won the bid for the rights to publish South Park: The Stick of Truth
-South Park Studios filed a court objection to stop the sale, arguing THQ had no rights to sell the publication rights
-rumors of the game being rushed to completion by THQ emerge, Ubisoft delays the game indefinitely for quality assurance
-months of virtually no word about the game, most people forget it exists
-May 2nd Ubisoft assure Stick of Truth is still set on track for 2013 release date
-June 5th new screenshots and details about the game are shown off from a demo event for journalists
-It was shown off at E3 2013 during Ubisoft's presentation

So the quick facts about South Park: Stick of Truth are

Developed by - Obsidian Entertainment
Published by - Ubisoft
Written by - Matt Stone and Trey Parker, the creators of the cartoon

Platforms:
Xbox 360, PS3 and PC

Release date:
Unknown, coming THIS holiday season, or some holiday season, hopefully kind of soon, you know how videogames are.

[i]But what about the gameplay?

You play a new kid, a fully customizable character you create, who has just moved to South Park, your goal? To become cool.

You do this by fighting, exploring and performing quests for the locals. There are many opposing factions you will have to unite, and throughout the game there will be critical decisions you have to make that will ultimately affect what happens to you.

Fighting will consist of turn-based combat, Paper Mario style, with timed hits and specials.

But there will also be plenty of strategy for outside of battle too, such as magic to help you avoid enemies and such.

The game will also feature a range of special summons to assist you in battle. These summons consist of popular characters from the cartoon’s history, examples including Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo, Mr. Slave, and Tuong Lu Kim the owner of City Wok...

DLC
Some sets of DLC and preorder bonuses have been planned, some parts reportedly exclusive to the Xbox 360.
Unfortunately Ubisoft has taken the specific information about these plans down from the official Stick of Truth website, so we’re forced to rely on information from year old news reports about the issue.

quote:

"GOOD TIMES WITH WEAPONS" PACK

BULROG CHICKEN ATTACK
Summon the devastating ninja powers of Bulrog and turn your feeble enemies into chickens! This super-sweet attack leaves evil-doers totally clucked! BLAM! "Nya-nya-nya-nya-na naa! Now you are a chicken!"
CARTMAN'S KICK-rear end SAI
The ultimate weapon of destruction, these daggers will penetrate even the most evil of villains! Harness the fiery sting of the Sai to slash and cut your way through South Park!
SAMURAI WARRIOR COSTUME
Show off your brute ninja muscle with this bad-rear end getup, complete with assassin's headgear, super-sweet cape, and the toughest cardboard armor this side of Takagawa. Suit up, and prepare to unleash the ultimate pwnage!

"MYSTERION SUPERHERO" PACK

MYSTERION SPECIAL ATTACK
Harness the elusive power of Mysterion! South Park's protector unleashes a deadly combination of stealth and firepower -- your enemies won't know what hit them!
SUPERHERO COSTUME
Suit-up as the next South Park superhero! It's the perfect disguise for fighting your mortal enemies and keeping South Park safe!
DAGGER OF CTHULU
Slash the darkness with this diabolical switchblade! It's the same weapon used to stab and kill Mysterion in the twisted classic "Mysterion Rises". And now…the fate of the Cult of Cthulhu lies in your hands!

Story

quote:

From the perilous battlefields of the fourth-grade playground, a young hero will rise, destined to be South Park’s savior. From the creators of South Park, Trey Parker and Matt Stone, comes an epic quest to become… cool. Introducing South Park™: The Stick of Truth™.

For a thousand years, the battle has been waged. The sole reason humans and elves are locked in a neverending war: The Stick of Truth. But the tides of war are soon to change as word of a new kid spreads throughout the land, his coming foretold by the stars. As the moving vans of prophecy drive away, your adventure begins.

Arm yourself with weapons of legend to defeat crabpeople, underpants gnomes, hippies, and other forces of evil. Discover the lost Stick of Truth and earn your place at the side of Stan, Kyle, Cartman, and Kenny as their new friend. Succeed, and you shall be South Park’s savior, cementing your social status in South Park Elementary. Fail, and you will forever be known… as a loser.

Link to trailers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdJelM5KBX8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soKBSzj5Vtg

New E3 2013 trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_H0qaJ3zUk

Official South Park: Stick of Truth website
http://southpark.ubi.com/stickoftruth/en-us/home/

Welp, and here I go loving up the title after being so careful, this thread is off to a great start...

Pleasant Friend fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
You spelled "cancelled" wrong in the title, why don't you have some pride in your work man

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
This looks like the South Park game everyone always wanted, basically just a playable episode with a create a character option. I'm glad this isn't vaporware.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

I'm seriously embarrassed right now, as I deserve to be.
I can't believe I only noticed it right after I posted, I even made sure to check my post for errors thrice, but I wrote the title very last...

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'm relieved this wasn't canned, kudos to Ubisoft. Going by the trailers this does indeed seem like a playable episode and a lot of effort went into it. I guess it helps to have the creators so closely involved unlike on pretty much every other South Park game in the past which were just complete garbage.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

Pleasant Friend posted:

I'm seriously embarrassed right now, as I deserve to be.
I can't believe I only noticed it right after I posted, I even made sure to check my post for errors thrice, but I wrote the title very last...

It's okay man, be good to yourself

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Really hope the PC version won't require Uplay as I'm getting sick of having to avoid Ubisoft games on steam.

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME
Oct 9, 2012

by Pipski
Remember when South Park was relevant? No, me neither.

Hari Seldon
Jun 14, 2007

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME posted:

I don't know about their relevance, but recent South Park has been pretty good in my opinion and they've maintained their quality (despite occasional dips) and humour far better than The Simpsons or Family Guy.

Anyway, kinda excited about this game, though to be honest I'm not sure why. I'm hoping it should at least be rather entertaining.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm mostly excited for an RPG that isn't Knockoff Tolkien or Knockoff Star Wars/Star Trek.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pleasant Friend posted:

turn-based combat, Paper Mario style, with timed hits and specials

Oh awesome. I've been playing through The Thousand Year Door recently and I'm looking forward to these types of mechanics again (especially by Obsidian!).

Bukowski
Dec 28, 2009

hammulder
the rpg where the best class is somewhere in the middle...

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm glad to hear the Paper Mario aspects. I wasn't interested very much when I thought it was going to be final fantasy style. It looks cool as heck and now I'm excited to actually check it out.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

South Park is the most consistent animated comedy currently on television, possibly ever. It's still great :colbert:

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I stopped watching South Park ages ago, but just having Obsidian involved in this has me interested.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Yeah, I'm pretty stoked about the game. I'm really looking forward to reviews. I've never played the Mario stuff, so I don't know about that stuff.

E3 is next week, right? That's when we'll find out?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Hakkesshu posted:

South Park is the most consistent animated comedy currently on television, possibly ever. It's still great :colbert:

I'd like to introduce you to a little show called Archer.

Anyway, South Park popularity aside, I'm still excited for this. It looks and sounds and moves just like the show, which is pretty cool.

Edward_Lapine
Jan 21, 2011

I thought you were actually gay, I mean...
So did I, for a bit, but then I found out about the prohibitive standards of hygiene, and all that DANCING!
Nice OP! Most South Park games I've happened to play were usually pretty terrible. When South Park for the Nintendo 64 came out, I thought it was the coolest ever, being a young piece of poo poo teen that I was thinking "omg South Park game so mature and edgy, man~". But it played like a terrible Turok. I remember Chef's Love Shack being awful too so I'm afraid to get excited for this.

:negative:

Though, with all those doubts, it looks like a well made game using the South Park IP and more than likely I'll buy it anyways because I am a fan of the show. With more than 10 seasons later worth of content compared to the original South Park games, I'm thinking it'll turn out well with Obsidian behind it.

Ubisoft though? Sweet, can't wait to hear all the DRM bitching. :munch:

Edward_Lapine fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jun 8, 2013

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Welp, we didn't get a release date, so that's pretty disappointing. Oh well, we got a pretty nifty video at least, with a few more brief glimpses of new content. It looks like for instance that your partner will get their own special attacks (Kyle and a band of elves firing a hailfire of arrows/Butters turning into professor Chaos)

Huh...

Anyway this is a kind of spoilery, but as more is revealed about the game the true plot beyond just being cool seems to be revealing itself, read ahead only if you don't care about spoilers.

The first trailer gives us the most insight, the ruined desolate city, dead bodies everywhere, you have to wonder how it happened? Well Cartman's opening monologues seems to give us our answer, "We have been betrayed". But by who? It surprisingly seems to be by local South Park resident jock Clyde Donovan, the kid who was tasked with the job to guard the Stick of Truth, he betrays Cartman and steals the stick of truth for himself.

Clyde Donovan apparently has gone crazy evil, declaring he will destroy the earth, and started his conquest by raising cats from the dead, turning them into zombie nazi cats, for his personal undead army of darkness, and from the looks of the latest trailer he seems to have moved onto raising humans from the dead too.

How he is doing it is more interesting, apparently he found some toxic green goo, normally it'd be sensible to just assume was normal nuclear waste, but this fact probably ties into the other major mystery about this game, the alien dudes.

You'd have to be blind to not notice that the alien dudes are going to play a pretty huge roll in the story of this game. Though we currently have no clue about if they will be Good or Evil, or maybe just loving with everybody for the fun of it?
At the end of the first trailer, you see Cartman, Kenny, Stan and Kyle all running away from the town hall which suddenly it explodes and out bursts a giant Clyde who somehow just outgrew the building, you'll also notice the aliens are there?

Though I believe that's all we know for now.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I have a preorder for this one (from a few months before THQ went bankrupt and, yes, I should have known better) so I'm drat glad that Ubi Soft didn't let this one become vaporware.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Someone from my school who was working at Obsidian on this was apparently hired by Matt and Trey themselves later because he was so good and funny at boarding. (That's all I know. I only heard this secondhand from one of the instructors.)

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jun 11, 2013

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

Bukowski posted:

the rpg where the best class is somewhere in the middle...

No no, the joke goes The neutral ending is the best ending...

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Pleasant Friend posted:

Welp, we didn't get a release date, so that's pretty disappointing. :words:

This coming Christmas...

or next christmas :negative::negative::negative:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I almost feel ashamed at how much I laughed at "the Nagasaki fart".

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'm tempted to name my character "Neuqid" :haw:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
The reports from people who saw this at E3 all said this is looking really good.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Please tell me Obsidian is being paid actual money to make this, and hasn't been roped into some ridiculous bonus scheme where if the game scores below 85 on Metacritic the whole team must commit seppuku (Japanese ritual suicide).

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I'm pretty sure that they, from their time spent working, have been paid (given money for services).

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Real potential for TF2 hat tie-in promos here.

Economy Clown Car
May 5, 2009

by Pipski

Heran Bago posted:

Real potential for TF2 hat tie-in promos here.

Strange kenny hood, tracks how many times you've died.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Every south park game has sucked bad including (especially) the pinball table but drat this looks really hot

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Typical Pubbie posted:

Please tell me Obsidian is being paid actual money to make this, and hasn't been roped into some ridiculous bonus scheme where if the game scores below 85 on Metacritic the whole team must commit seppuku (Japanese ritual suicide).

A bonus in a contract is usually something ontop of the agreed payment that is awarded based on conditions being met or exceeded. I don't think anyone was fooled or screwed over and if they were it was probably all parties involved being kinda dumb.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

You do realize it's still pretty much comedy central's bread and butter right? And despite being on for a million seasons It's still pretty funny (with the occasional dud).

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

goferchan posted:

Every south park game has sucked bad including (especially) the pinball table but drat this looks really hot

Counterpoint:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I'm not sure why anyone though this game wouldn't get shipped. South Park, even if it isn't the hottest poo poo on TV anymore, still has a huge fanbase. Obsidian Entertainment has it's own fanbase as well.

My point is this will probably sell like gangbusters.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

Counterpoint:

I think I'm confused because that game was absolutely awful.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The PS1 version is superior and still loving awful.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lord Lambeth posted:

I'm not sure why anyone though this game wouldn't get shipped. South Park, even if it isn't the hottest poo poo on TV anymore, still has a huge fanbase. Obsidian Entertainment has it's own fanbase as well.

My point is this will probably sell like gangbusters.

It was for me less of a will it ship, and more of a god loving dammit how many more years is this thing going to take before it's finally released. I am not a patient man.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

Heran Bago posted:

The PS1 version is superior and still loving awful.

The N64 version is still a useful learning tool, as you can demonstrate when and where Iguana decided that they were through having games that were 40% distance fog, and said "gently caress it, we're going for 75%". The whole thing felt like an ancient Serious Sam alpha that someone made a South Park mod for, while suffering from that really bleak and polygonal claustrophobia that most early 3D games are victims of. If you're looking for the closest example of the N64's elusive Turbo 3D mode in action, which Nintendo didn't let anyone use ever due it making games look like total rear end, SP64 is as good as you can get

Turtlicious posted:

Counterpoint:

"Here's another warning message on the side, right here above the big M rating, just in case you missed the loving huge one of the front, AND just in case you forgot that South Park isn't a kid's show"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Hmm, Saints Row was refused classification in Australia due to alien anal probes? Uhhh, well hopefully that's not going to be a prob-

Oh.

Welp, it might be time to start learning how to import games form overseas.

• Locked thread