Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

When does steam usually unlock preloaded games on release day? Thinking seriously about taking a day off for this, but I don't want to take tomorrow off unless I'll be able to play it as soon as I'm up in the morning - I work a weird 6-2 shift and it makes more sense to take off Wednesday if I wouldn't be able to play till my shift was almost over anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Phenotype posted:

When does steam usually unlock preloaded games on release day? Thinking seriously about taking a day off for this, but I don't want to take tomorrow off unless I'll be able to play it as soon as I'm up in the morning - I work a weird 6-2 shift and it makes more sense to take off Wednesday if I wouldn't be able to play till my shift was almost over anyway.

As of right now the timer indicates approximately 1PM EST tomorrow, but others have said that it's midnight EST so who the gently caress knows.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I am sad to live in Europe right now. :(

Time to put the thread on hiatus, I think.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Phenotype posted:

Midnight EST/9PM PST

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

Looks like anyone trying to activate an uncensored key on Steam in a restricted territory is out of luck.

You could probably still activate it using a vpn but that violates the SSA and steam could theoretically ban your account. Great work from Ubisoft.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

frumpsnake posted:

Pretty sure GTA4 wasn't censored at all in NZ. Technically it was never censored in Australia. (Rockstar pre-cut the game before submitting it to the OFLC, later submitted the PC version uncut and got the same MA15+ rating, and then retroactively patched the censored copy on PSN/XBL to uncensor it). Before the patch I remember a lot of Aussies grabbing NZ versions though.

I remember this because of the great gesture a NZ based online store made. They announced that the AU version was censored and the NZ version was not. But they're the same region and interchangeable so myself and a lot of others pre ordered from NZ based online stores. Then it was announced that AU and NZ were getting the same version.

The store I used refunded all preorders with an AU delivery address.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I went from having minimal expectations for this game to being way too hyped after watching a bit of a couple of streams / the first official gameplay video.

I haven't actually watched Southpark consistently for years (I watched season 1-9 or so religiously and an occasional episode since then), so I'm hoping I'll actually get enough of the references and stuff to make it funny.

I really love Obsidian though, so I trust them to make it work.

Has anyone played a mage? I've not seen it in any of the streams / videos. I was leaning that direction assuming they are not terrible.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So I hate to preorder for basically all the reasons Cartman does, but still... the preorder bonuses look neat. Does anybody know if they'll be helpful at all past the first few levels?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TheCoon posted:

Looks like anyone trying to activate an uncensored key on Steam in a restricted territory is out of luck.

You could probably still activate it using a vpn but that violates the SSA and steam could theoretically ban your account. Great work from Ubisoft.

Apparently even talking about VPN things is files per the below post...

eonwe fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 3, 2014

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

the goddam rules thread posted:

Warez: Don’t talk about how you got things. Don’t ask for help with anything warez related. Don’t post links to sites that host cracks/torrents. This includes talking about certain sites that sell foreign Steam keys that require circumventing security via VPN et al to make use of.

Just saying.

Golashes posted:

I'm watching that stream and I guess my only concern about the game is that the combat moves kind of slow with all of the animations taking a really long time. Wouldn't be that big of a deal but if the game is about ~15 hours I feel like it's padded by moving slow. Does the pace speed up later or are the animations and whatnot at least funny/various enough to keep it interesting?

This is my biggest pure gameplay concern. One of the good things about Paper Mario et al was that the battles were fast-paced and once you knew what you were doing you could blast through random encounters in 15 seconds or so, all the preview footage has battles being much slower and drawn out.

Hugoon Chavez posted:

The latin american version was pretty awesome and had some genuine funny voice dubs. To this day my friends and I still quote it. "Coño, carajo, ¡Que culo mas grande!".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj549AUckwg

Probably my favorite non-English dub.

Giblet Gravy
Sep 27, 2004
I'm snowed in. Boy I wish this game unlocked today!:argh:

mrfishstick
Oct 15, 2005
Is there any kind of a source on the Midnight EST unlock for Steam?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

This is my biggest pure gameplay concern. One of the good things about Paper Mario et al was that the battles were fast-paced and once you knew what you were doing you could blast through random encounters in 15 seconds or so, all the preview footage has battles being much slower and drawn out.

I just want to point out that the guy streaming the game was absolutely terrible at it, and made fights take about 10x longer than necessary because he completely refused to properly use items/abilities. I watched for about 5 minutes and it was painful. I think the battles would go much faster if you actually have a brain.

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte
I pre-ordered the game like a year ago on greenman when they were still being published by THQ; do you guys think greenman will actually give me a key or am I poo poo out of luck?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
It's an internet law more powerful than Rule 34 or Godwin's.

Anyone, anyone who streams a game online before the street release date absolutely will be so dogshit at it that it will somehow manage to not just offend, but cause physical pain to those who watch said stream.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I think that was intended to stop the practice where Americans and others in 1st world countries get product keys for a fraction of the cost by buying them with a Russian ip since they are much cheaper in Russia. There's even a word for it- -arbitrage? Not sure whether it applies to spoofing your country of origin to get around censorship, even if you're paying the normal price.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

GreatGreen posted:

Anyone, anyone who streams a game online before the street release date absolutely will be so dogshit at it that it will somehow manage to not just offend, but cause physical pain to those who watch said stream.

I think it falls under the umbrella of the phenomenon where the worse someone is at doing something, the better they think they are at it. The people streaming these games not only "want to be the first", they genuinely don't realize that they suck at the game. They just assume that everybody who plays the game plays it like them, and that the game is just like that.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

King Vidiot posted:

I think it falls under the umbrella of the phenomenon where the worse someone is at doing something, the better they think they are at it. The people streaming these games not only "want to be the first", they genuinely don't realize that they suck at the game. They just assume that everybody who plays the game plays it like them, and that the game is just like that.

The Dunning-Krueger effect.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Quick question, does anyone know if the buddies share the class abilities or do they have their own unique move pool? Like if I pick Wizard and use Cartman as my buddy, will there be a lot of overlap in our moves?

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz

mrfishstick posted:

Is there any kind of a source on the Midnight EST unlock for Steam?

Yeah, I'm the producer on it and I set it up that way. :)

mikeraskol posted:

I just want to point out that the guy streaming the game was absolutely terrible at it, and made fights take about 10x longer than necessary because he completely refused to properly use items/abilities. I watched for about 5 minutes and it was painful. I think the battles would go much faster if you actually have a brain.

Since your PP recovers after every fight, once you're far enough along, regular grunt fights can last like 5 seconds if you just do all your most powerful attacks.

Evil Canadian posted:

Quick question, does anyone know if the buddies share the class abilities or do they have their own unique move pool? Like if I pick Wizard and use Cartman as my buddy, will there be a lot of overlap in our moves?

Buddies all have their own unique abilities, tailor-made for their characters.

GreatGreen posted:

So I hate to preorder for basically all the reasons Cartman does, but still... the preorder bonuses look neat. Does anybody know if they'll be helpful at all past the first few levels?

Most of them are percent-based so they stay relevant throughout the entire game.

bilperkins2 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 3, 2014

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

bilperkins2 posted:

Buddies all have their own unique abilities, tailor-made for their characters.

Excellent good to know! I'd hate to not be able to use XYZ just because they share a movepool.

mrfishstick
Oct 15, 2005

bilperkins2 posted:

Thanks for both the confirmation and answering literally every other question that pops up in this thread :toot:. Your posts in this thread have honestly done more to get me interested in this game than the entire ~gaming journalism industry~, so thanks for that.

Now to stare at the clock for the next 12 hours.

FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

bilperkins2 posted:

Good source. :v:

So the specific unlock times are set by the developers rather than Valve having a standard 'games unlock at midnight on the release date?' Also I'm going to echo everyone else and say thanks a ton for the info.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz

FirstPlayer posted:

Good source. :v:

So the specific unlock times are set by the developers rather than Valve having a standard 'games unlock at midnight on the release date?' Also I'm going to echo everyone else and say thanks a ton for the info.

Well, it's a conversation you have with Valve but it's mainly up to you, as long as they have the technical capability. Like I think you can only do a couple territorial unlocks, not like one for every time zone ever. For this one there's three: London Midnight for Europe, Sydney Midnight for Australia and New York Midnight for North/South America.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

mikeraskol posted:

GreatGreen posted:

I saw a dude on twitch who was surprising since he played well and was pretty much quiet while doing so, with none of the wacky-cam bullshit some of these guys do. Most of it probably came from the fact that I was watching him do a second playthrough so he already had most of the timing and understanding down from his first playthrough. It was actually kind of impressive since he'd do poo poo like buff up and then scythe through standard mobs in a single turn by taking advantage of some gear and ability combinations, and burn his way through boss battles by stacking debuffs to finish them off in two or three rounds.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz

LightWarden posted:

I saw a dude on twitch who was surprising since he played well and was pretty much quiet while doing so, with none of the wacky-cam bullshit some of these guys do. Most of it probably came from the fact that I was watching him do a second playthrough so he already had most of the timing and understanding down from his first playthrough. It was actually kind of impressive since he'd do poo poo like buff up and then scythe through standard mobs in a single turn by taking advantage of some gear and ability combinations, and burn his way through boss battles by stacking debuffs to finish them off in two or three rounds.

I would recommend against killing bosses off quickly just from a "fun" standpoint, as some of them have unique attacks that are very funny. Particularly the Gnome Warlock, at least on your first playthrough.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Chaser of the stray sea-life, clad in a trench and a fedora.

bilperkins2 posted:

Well, it's a conversation you have with Valve but it's mainly up to you, as long as they have the technical capability. Like I think you can only do a couple territorial unlocks, not like one for every time zone ever. For this one there's three: London Midnight for Europe, Sydney Midnight for Australia and New York Midnight for North/South America.

I'm in Finland, and for me Steam right now shows that it's unlocking in three days and 0 hours. That would mean it unlocks on Thursday the 6th either at 6 or 7pm GMT.

Not complaining though, since initially I thought it was going to unlock at Friday evening.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz

Follow That Fish! posted:

I'm in Finland, and for me Steam right now shows that it's unlocking in three days and 0 hours. That would mean it unlocks on Thursday the 6th either at 6 or 7pm GMT.

Not complaining though, since initially I thought it was going to unlock at Friday evening.

The Steam countdown thing is notorious for being wrong. Also just to clarify, those times are on their respective release dates. 4th for US, 6th for Europe, I forget for Australia. Not my deal. Also the UK one might be the 7th, also not my deal. I just handle North/South America.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

bilperkins2 posted:

I would recommend against killing bosses off quickly just from a "fun" standpoint, as some of them have unique attacks that are very funny. Particularly the Gnome Warlock, at least on your first playthrough.

I'm sad that I succeeded at killing that particular boss in 3 turns. If at some point I do a replay, I'm going to force myself to be underpowered so I can actually see most boss attacks.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

drat it, why did I have to order it on PS3? Now I'm paranoid about the performance.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Anyone who hasn't been watching the show too closely, should watch http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s17e07-black-friday and the two episodes after it, it's a trilogy that actually introduces the Stick of Truth and shows the kids in their game outfits.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

bilperkins2 posted:

I would recommend against killing bosses off quickly just from a "fun" standpoint, as some of them have unique attacks that are very funny.

Yeah, earlier today I watched a bit of a stream where a guy skipped that Giggling Donkey fight (the one in that preview video from a while back) by using a summon that wiped out every enemy. So he basically skipped over all of Jimmy's limericks, and the fight wasn't even particularly hard if the preview was any indication.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah, earlier today I watched a bit of a stream where a guy skipped that Giggling Donkey fight (the one in that preview video from a while back) by using a summon that wiped out every enemy. So he basically skipped over all of Jimmy's limericks, and the fight wasn't even particularly hard if the preview was any indication.

Yep. On the Jimmy fight, unless you've already watched the vid, make sure you last 4 rounds at least, for the whole song.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
Is this game physical copy only on consoles, or will we be able to download them for xbox/ps3?

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz

The Pirate Captain posted:

Is this game physical copy only on consoles, or will we be able to download them for xbox/ps3?

Physical and Digital on Day 1

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
Thanks!

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

bilperkins2 posted:

Physical and Digital on Day 1

That's great news, as getting to any sort of game or electronics store near where I currently live is a bit of a hassle. Downloading this for sure unless Day 1 reactions are negative out of nowhere. Do you know the 360 version's file size?

Lionguild
Sep 5, 2013

bilperkins2 posted:

That's great but it is weird that steam keeps counting down to 1pm EST.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
When is the embargo up for this game? It is a bit strange there are no reviews yet. Or is it one of those things where there is an embargo on the embargo and nobody is allowed to know? Please dont be horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Lionguild posted:

That's great but it is weird that steam keeps counting down to 1pm EST.

Yeeeeeeah. Has anyone dropped a line to Steam that that should read 9 hours, not 22?

• Locked thread