Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I am half tempted to get this since I love South Park and RPGs, plus it's a pretty crazy idea. But I usually avoid licensed games like the plague. The N64 FPS was god-awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I wouldn't mind it being shorter. RPGs are too time consuming and I barely have any time to play videogames anymore, much less RPGs for that matter. Considering the developer is Obsidian I'm sure the length will be decent based on their excellent story writing alone (ironic considering this is a South Park game).

If it is less than 40 hours though, I may wait because $60 for a short game is pretty steep.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Feb 11, 2014

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Same here. I'm getting a good feeling from the developers and the fact that Stone and Parker are so heavily involved. After getting burned from poo poo like SimCity I'm still thinking about preordering and maybe even taking the day off to just enjoy myself.

Cartman would like a word with you

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

It's a moot point arguing over if it's better on PC or console since you can use a controller on PC anyway. Most PC games have built-in 360 controller support. That being said it is tempting to get this for 360/PS3 so I can play on the big screen TV, it's alot easier to move a console to the big screen than it is to lug a PC tower to it.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

KoRMaK posted:

Nor did I expect any posts other than "looks cool, can't wait for it to come out" and the occasional new video/update posted.

I guess the argument fits in a meta sense, they had a 3 part series of episodes about this subject (well, console vs console) that segues into The Stick of Truth. The Stick of Truth being an allegory for meaning "gently caress consoles and brand loyalty to corporations that arbitrarily pit us against each other, let's get together in real life and play together using our imagination."

I'm surprised there was no mention of PC at all in that episode. You'd think in an episode about console wars they would poke fun at PC gamers as well.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Furism posted:

I'm pretty sure that in one of the behind-the-scenes video they say our character is mute for some bullshit reason that only South Park can come up with.

I think it's because Trey said that he didn't like main characters that talk, because what they say most often does not match up with what the player is thinking. They wanted to put you in the game.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Backhand posted:

I'm sure this will qualify me as a whiny bitch or whatever, but will it be possible to play through the game pretty much ignoring the whole farting mechanic? I appreciate how witty South Park can be sometimes and just how over the top things can get, but I've always hated the toilet humor aspects of it. I don't care if it makes the game harder, I just want it to be possible.

I'm pretty sure the farting will be used to help solve puzzles and to help debuff enemies. Besides, it's South Park, vulgar humor is kinda it's thing. :v:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Seeing as Cartman says "A Jew, I guess we can't be friends" if you pick the Jew class, I wouldn't be surprised if the dialog changes to reflect your race, gender, and class choices.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I do want to get this game but I'm waiting for the reviews since I normally don't like paying $60 for games based on licensed properties.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Most people are saying 12-15 hours.

That's kinda short considering it's an RPG. On the other hand though, that means it's not too long either.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Yeah, I think I'm going to get this. I've spent $60 on worse things. *cough* Duke Nukem Forever *cough* 12-15 hours is a good length considering I don't have as much time for games anymore and the gameplay and humor seems pretty rock solid.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Why go see a movie when you can play and experience it better in a videogame? :v:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Huh, the game got great reviews, guess I'll be buying this after all. Luckily I have tommorrow off to play it and I get paid. :dance:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Since it's an Obsidian game, how buggy is it?

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

How's the replay value? Do the classes play different from each other, despite all of them being able to equip everything?

EDIT: What's the most fun class to play as?

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 4, 2014

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I am loving this game so far, it's basically Paper Mario but with fart jokes.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

For people playing the PC version and are having trouble with mouse and keyboard: The game is alot easier if you use a 360 controller.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Requested_Username posted:

So I've got a weird bug where the game won't launch at all. The steam window for 'Preparing to launch South Park: The Stick of Truth' pops up and then closes like normal, but then it just reappears, then closes, and repeats endlessly

Try verifying your cache? Most problems with Steam games go away if you verify cache.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I can't be the only one who has to fart on every NPC just to hear their reaction. I'm 30 and still find fart jokes funny.

Rerolled as a Thief, way much more fun than Mage. There's a certain synergy to Mugging and then Backstabbing someone that I love taking advantage of and I heavily abuse Speed potions. Stacking bleeding damage rules.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I haven't had a problem with the QTEs, expect maybe for Kenny's Furry Friends attack. No matter how quickly I shake, it's random whenever Kenny survives or becomes rat chow.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

Is anybody else kind of bummed that ________________________you don't get to go to heaven or hell________________________ during the game?

Technically you go to heaven when you gameover. Does that count? :v:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

That fight with Al Gore was probably one of the most intense fights I've had in an RPG.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Hey, without spoilers, I'm trying to do the Jimbo's Big Hunts and for some reason I can't get any prompt or find where I am supposed to set out the bait for either the Farm Cow or the one by the school. Where can I trigger those?

The cow is at the farm, you have to put the cow bell rope that's on the gate. Be careful, the Farm Cow one of the toughest fights in the game.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 9, 2014

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I don't understand why people have such a hard time with the button mashing. I just mashed the buttons like crazy and managed to pass it. The game is alot easier to play with a 360 pad.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Yeah, it's hard to pretend it's make believe when my character is wielding an actual sword and is chucking broken beer bottles that he found in the sewers, and Butters is bashing my enemies' skulls in with a ball-peen hammer.

I feel kinda bad beating up the kinder-gardeners whenever I want to test a equipment setup or skill.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Macaluso posted:

You can only customize your own guy. It's okay though cause the buddies all manage themselves and level up with you. Also it might be a little game breaky if you could, say, put thorns on Butters. Not that the game isn't pretty easy anyway but still.

Hopefully if there's a sequel, with longer length, they'll let you manage your buddies' equipment as well.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I'd rather have a game be too easy rather than be too balls-crushingly hard. I play games for fun and not prove my worthiness. Besides, I've already put up with that bullshit back in the NES days.

Don't get me wrong I'd rather not have a game be a cakewalk, but dying over and over again on a section is unfun. This game's difficulty is just right. You have to pay attention at least or the enemies will wreck you poo poo, at least until you get your character built to steamroll over most fights. The only fight I really had trouble with was with Al Gore, but that fight is an exercise in abusing speed potions and debuffs really.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 11, 2014

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Mainwaring posted:

What is this referencing? Did one of the older south park games get a 4?

They said "I hope we don't get a loving 4 on Gamespot" during the Behind the Scenes trailer.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

The beer bottle is great for applying three debuffs on multiple targets at once. They'll get bleed, grossed out, and set on fire or freeze depending on which patch you use. Gross out does become less useful once the Nazi Zombies start showing up though since they're immune to it.

EDIT: Playing this game also gives me a huge craving for Taco Bell.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 12, 2014

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I never understood why making South Park into an FPS was considered a good idea, epsecially on the fog machine that they call the N64.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Which attack do you guys think is the funniest? I just picked up Circum-Scythe on my Jew playthrough, and um.....ow, that looks painful....and hilarious.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Wow, gently caress that abortion minigame. It's actually easier to do on a keyboard than on a 360 controller, what. :suicide:

As much as I like him in the show, gently caress Randy in this game, everything he does is annoying and always impedes your progress in some way whenever he shows up. gently caress his fart training as well.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Well, I finished the game, poo poo sure got crazy near the end with visiting Canada, which apparently is an 8-bit RPG world, crawling around inside Mr. Slave's rear end to abort the snuke and having KENNY of all people be the final boss. Also, "screw you guys I'm going home." ROFL!

Fun game, kinda burnt out on it though, will probably leave it alone for a while before going back to it and getting the rest of the achievements if I care to do such a thing. Now I've got a playthrough of New Vegas to do.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 29, 2014

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

As long as he doesn't make you do any more fart training or abortions I'm cool with more Randy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I kept failing the dilation parts when using a 360 controller but easily passed it when I switched to keyboard. Instead of having to spin you just mash A and D.

• Locked thread