Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, I think Maddy has been warding off Harker. Note that Maddy was killed by "someone who hated being looked at," and all her ghost does is look at things. It seems likely that Harker still hates being looked at, presumably because he's a grotesque walking skeleton, and that by watching people closely she can keep him away.

Unless somebody carefully shut away all the liminal spaces she could use to manifest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Awww! Mercy saves the day!

Mercy is so :3:

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
For some reason I was expecting her to revert to Golbat mode.

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Learning Disabilities: Cat Edition
Speculation time!
The fire was started by someone in the Skull and Shovels Society, which is said to be very old. Maddie, who attended to the victims in the burn ward found out, and was promptly murdered to keep the secret. Alternatively, the local bark might be a resource someone is after, it being the prohibition and all.

I think that Maddie is the "Protector" when it comes to Wadsworth, and that the stitched skeleton is the taylor dude who's offing people to rebuild his body. He says that he could only begin talking about a month ago, which is when Iris' dad is hinted at to have died. He says that Wadsworth has something he needs -- which would be his "good heart". Of course, the Skull And Shovels society knows about it and is actively in the process of covering it up, because its the secret to immortality or something.

Either way I'm loving the poo poo out of the buildup of this comic, and really love the dream sequences, they're pretty damned adorable.

The Big Whoop fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 14, 2013

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
http://broodhollow.chainsawsuit.com/2013/06/14/him/

I can't help but wonder who "him" is.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Him as in Zane recognizes the skeleton from his nightmare at the beginning of the series.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Him as in Zane recognizes the skeleton from his nightmare at the beginning of the series.

Shiiiiit there are like three developments that I straight up did not see coming. drat.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
It looks like being blindfolded is the only way to understand him as well. Well, unless it's painful for him to be seen.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Re-reading the comic just now (it's not very long!), I spotted the first appearance of Cadavre. Sneaky!

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

Re-reading the comic just now (it's not very long!), I spotted the first appearance of Cadavre. Sneaky!

Some of the Cadavre strips Kris made are still on the old Chainsawsuit Labs site.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Monday's comic is up. That book looks appropriately foreboding, but it makes it difficult to read.

Y Signal
Feb 17, 2009

I love you, Tiger Millionaire.
Mercy is the best sidekick. :3:

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
It's alright, guys. Mercy's okay. So everything's going to be fine. :3:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
New Update.

This entire sequence is pure :stare:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Somebody in the comments mentioned something. Iris's book says that Harker died in the fire.

But here Mayor Osgood says something that indicates he survived.

:stare:

Whatever's wrong with Broodhollow, it goes a lot deeper than what we've figured out already.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tollymain posted:

Somebody in the comments mentioned something. Iris's book says that Harker died in the fire.

But here Mayor Osgood says something that indicates he survived.

:stare:

Whatever's wrong with Broodhollow, it goes a lot deeper than what we've figured out already.
I dunno the fact that the mayor's reaction to asking when Iris' dad died is a blank stare followed by everybody resuming conversation as if he hadn't said anything seems pretty loving off to me.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
I was wondering why Wadsworth sealing every open space would mean he could be abducted, and this might explain the connection.

Zereth posted:

I dunno the fact that the mayor's reaction to asking when Iris' dad died is a blank stare followed by everybody resuming conversation as if he hadn't said anything seems pretty loving off to me.

Wadsworth seemed to be speaking in a voice low enough that only Osgood could hear (otherwise Planchett probably would have commented). I think that the Mayor, unlike Iris (and perhaps the rest of the town) knows the answer to that question, but really doesn't want to talk about it to Wadsworth, so he was just stunned for a second before he could find a distraction.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
Update. Those cartoony stars for the smash effect seem somewhat out of place.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
"You can see him too! I'm not crazy." says the man to the bat.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Asgerd posted:

Update. Those cartoony stars for the smash effect seem somewhat out of place.

Honestly, they wouldn't seem out of place if we were in Normal Broodhollow, but a little bit so in Shading Broodhollow.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
Something I've been thinking of - if this is Harker, then it stands to reason he'd been lurking in his own manor. Which is where the skull and bones society meets.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this, but it seems significant.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Here's a fun scenario: Harker doesn't survive the fire, but pops up as a ghost immediately and convinces a handful of people (without letting them see him) that he survived. You can do these things when you have enough money. He then forms a secret society full of people who pull hooded robes over their eyes, and runs things out of his mansion for another few years.

Result:
- General population thinks he died.
- Secret club thinks he faked his own death for whatever reason, willing to do his bidding.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
Update. Iris! :black101:

This feels like a climax...I'm guessing we're nearing the end of the first chapter?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I guess there's the downside to being a ghost rebuilding your corporeal body out of spare parts.

Those spare parts are vulnerable to a bat to the face. :black101:

Warning: The above spoiler contains a sort of pun.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Man, this new Broodhollow really cracks me up.

http://broodhollow.chainsawsuit.com/

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

nimby posted:

Warning: The above spoiler contains a sort of pun.

Turns out your pun kinda... panned.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Cat Mattress posted:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves and fry him for a perfectly reasonable assumption.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Cat Mattress posted:

Yeah, didn't pan out as I hoped.

I'm wondering why she's crying while smacking his head off.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

nimby posted:

Yeah, didn't pan out as I hoped.

Fear tears. Perfectly reasonable reaction.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

I'm so bitter when it comes to webcomics but every time I expect Broodhollow to get worse it doesn't.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

It was a dark and stormy night (in Seattle), much like tonight, when the unthinkable happened.

Broodhollow updated

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

nimby posted:

She's destroying her father's murderer. It's an emotional moment.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Lance Streetman posted:

It was a dark and stormy night (in Seattle), much like tonight, when the unthinkable happened.

Broodhollow updated

"PC Load Letter? What the gently caress does that mean?"

:roflolmao: goddamnit

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
This is the work of a true master of copy-paste.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Lance Streetman posted:

Broodhollow updated

That's how we handle things in the city. Probably the best use of ctrl-c + ctrl-v ever.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

This is the kind of scene I always want to see in horror movies but instead the protagonist just runs away.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Pyradox posted:

This is the kind of scene I always want to see in horror movies but instead the protagonist just runs away.

Either that or the movie gives the foe some bullshit ability to shrug off bats to the head or whatever. Thank you Broodhollow, for letting a stitched-together corpse get what's coming to it by the vengeful hand wielding a frying pan.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Someone in the comments suggested that this page should be done in flipbook form when the first collection comes out and I would love to see this.

It's just very satisfying to imagine an evil figure getting smacked to death with a frying pan.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON
Why do you guys think that it will still be there on the next page?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I like how someone's keeping their eyes open and on it at all times during the beating.

• Locked thread