Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Notice the half-open medicine cabinet, though? By ghost-free real-world standards, it's very good that that doesn't bother him anymore, but in this comic it kind of invites question, for all that Maddy turned out to not be the real threat. There's a fair amount to wonder about here!
I love all these little details being in the story. It really adds a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
5 seconds. Takes 5 seconds to link the page before talking about it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Notice the half-open medicine cabinet, though? By ghost-free real-world standards, it's very good that that doesn't bother him anymore, but in this comic it kind of invites question, for all that Maddy turned out to not be the real threat. There's a fair amount to wonder about here!

I think it's just the way the mirror on the cabinet stands out from the wall, judging by the lines. I don't think it's open.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

When I posted, the previous page didn't have a "next" link yet for some reason and I didn't think to right click the post's title. :downs:

MikeJF posted:

I think it's just the way the mirror on the cabinet stands out from the wall, judging by the lines. I don't think it's open.

That's actually how I read it at first too, but I disagree. Notice the angle between the bottom of the cabinet and the top of the sink, say. The perspective works better if we assume the mirror isn't parallel to the wall. (Also, the reflections look more right for a slightly angled mirror than a straight-on one, but that might be digging too deep.)

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx
Also, the story works better if the mirror is open: Zane sees an open door, reacts with fear like we've learned to expect, and then reveals that his fear is not at all due to the door being open, but because he just noticed the scar that no longer means anything to him.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

My current theory is that Maggie is trying to create some kind of idealistic paradise, like that one episode of Justice League, or that one New Vegas quest. So, that's why everyone's memory of anything abnormal falters. To prevent the 'correlation of contents', as Lovecraft put it.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
BROODHOLLOW... WILL RETURN

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
Book Two: Angleworm begins:

http://broodhollow.chainsawsuit.com/page/2013/10/11/book-2-angleworm/

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Well... Here we are again, Doc

How ominous

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Well, here we are again. Making a new post reminding people to link the new page.

http://broodhollow.chainsawsuit.com/page/2013/10/14/welcome-back/

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Really, we needed two pages of, essentially, book covers?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
One is a book cover, the other is a title page.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I know, I just want more Broodhollow goodness nowwwwwww

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

McSpanky posted:

I know, I just want more Broodhollow goodness nowwwwwww

Your wish is granted!
http://broodhollow.chainsawsuit.com/page/2013/10/16/foot-traffic/

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Looks like Wadsworth really took to the place. I find that incredibly suspicious for some reason I can't put my finger on.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

DarklyDreaming posted:

Looks like Wadsworth really took to the place. I find that incredibly suspicious for some reason I can't put my finger on.
A part of me thinks it makes perfect sense. Better than selling parts of an encyclopedia nobody wants.

Mostly, it's probably because it basically requires him completely forget everything about the first book.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Leper Colon V posted:

A part of me thinks it makes perfect sense. Better than selling parts of an encyclopedia nobody wants.

Mostly, it's probably because it basically requires him completely forget everything about the first book.

Don't forget that did, in fact, happen on the last page of book one.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MikeJF posted:

Don't forget that did, in fact, happen on the last page of book one.

Exactly. The fact that he's fitting in perfectly is incredibly heartbreaking.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

http://broodhollow.chainsawsuit.com/page/2013/10/18/sorry-were-open/

Mayor Osgood, where are your feet?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FATHER WHAT AAA

Oh, poor Iris. :smith:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There is something serious wrong with Broodhollow :wtc:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

MikeJF posted:

FATHER WHAT AAA

Oh, poor Iris. :smith:

Yeah... as soon as I read that line about him. :smith:

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
She walked into the snow without shoes on.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mimir posted:

She walked into the snow without shoes on.
Oh, Jesus, you're right. That had to be intentional.

What the gently caress is happening I'm legitimately freaked the gently caress out by still images.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
The shoeless thing seems to be another weird little local tradition that Iris is aware she's doing, going by Wednesday's page. It's just Unshoe Day or something. Weird, though, and probably pretty unhealthy. (It does also seem like the dialogue on that page suggests people are maybe only supposed to go barefoot indoors, which would give this point back to you. In that case, I guess mentioning her dad does still weigh on Iris subconsciously, or something. I don't see her shoes anywhere, though.)

Today's page also mentions Whippoorwill Day; it probably doesn't need mentioning, but as far as I know whippoorwills aren't exactly good omen birds, traditionally. Death omens, if anything! Lovecraft was a big fan, for example.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

The shoeless thing seems to be another weird little local tradition that Iris is aware she's doing, going by Wednesday's page. It's just Unshoe Day or something.

You're not very good at reading. (She mentions people take their shoes off as they come in because the floor is heated in his shop.)

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Syrg Sapphire posted:

You're not very good at reading. (She mentions people take their shoes off as they come in because the floor is heated in his shop.)

The way I took that was that people are coming in a lot today because if it's shoeless day, you're happy to take the opportunity to visit a building with a heated floor. Your reading would be the really definitely more plausible one in any other town, I concede.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Glanced at this back when it was still in the middle of the bat scene. Shrugged and moved on.

Caught up now. Instantly locked into my regular webcomic reading schedule. :suspense:

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
Someone asked if she forgot to put her shoes back on in the comments and Kris replied.

quote:

No, just like Zane (or anyone for that matter) I don't actually draw shoes on anyone.

Actually, maybe she did walk out without them. It won't change anything.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Tollymain posted:

There is something serious wrong with Broodhollow :wtc:

What makes you say that? :confused:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

JayMax posted:

Someone asked if she forgot to put her shoes back on in the comments and Kris replied.
That is a remarkably specific statement to make.

No, of course her not wearing shoes won't change anything. It most certainly is not Chehkov's Gun being lovingly placed on the mantlepiece. I am not at all disconcerted by this turn of events. :catstare:

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
It's just an art issue. He's just saying he doesn't usually draw noticeable shoes on the characters. If you look back through the strip, that seems to be the case. There are a few exceptions, like on the cops, but it just looks like his style for the strip.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

JESUS loving CHRIST :stare:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Oh, okay then.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
I... Have nothing witty to say here. MOTHERFUCK :stonk:

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
That's some deep poo poo man.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 21, 2013

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That was quick.

Uluru
Feb 21, 2007

Who dares to defy me?! I am Uluru the invincible!

That's some serious bitter beer face.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

T.G. Xarbala posted:

That was quick.
I feel like this is the important statement here. Broodhollow, for being a Lovecraftian horror tale, has always had a really aggressive pace. He's a master of ratcheting up the tension, and then immediately giving payoff, while still leaving room to grow.

Really, it's one of the reasons this is in my top five webcomics, the pacing is just absolutely stellar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Thank goodness! For a second there I thought Zane was going native.

• Locked thread