Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Action Tortoise posted:

Thank goodness! For a second there I thought Zane was going native.
I think whether or not he remembers this tomorrow is the better test of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

:tviv:

I really needed to check this thread just before going to bed, yessir indeed.

SuckerPunched
Dec 20, 2006

Holy poo poo. Goodbye, sleep. That's Junji Ito level poo poo there. :stonk:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Really? No one else is going to do it? No one else is even thinking it?

Fine, I'll take one for the team.

What's wrong with your faaaaaaace

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Oxxidation posted:

Really? No one else is going to do it? No one else is even thinking it?

Fine, I'll take one for the team.

What's wrong with your faaaaaaace

A better title for this strip would be "At Face Value."

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

We even have a smiley for that horrific face!

:aaaaa:

Zane is going to wake up, right?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looks like we found the rabbithole (DIVE DIVE DIVE):haw:

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
One neat touch is how it starts snowing inside the shop. It's just blowing through the door in the first panel, but by the fifth panel it's basically taken up the whole shop. Between that and Osgood's :ssh: there's a really serene, unsettling feel to the whole page. Well, except for the last panel.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
Wadsworth, you have to go inside.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

So they are still aware that something strange is going on. At least, they know that people are forgetting things. They just forgot what.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

http://broodhollow.chainsawsuit.com/page/2013/10/23/settling-well/

Mercy! :3:

Also getting some serious Charlie Brown vibes from Wadsworth in that last panel.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Those crazy pyschologists.
http://broodhollow.chainsawsuit.com/page/2013/10/25/on-dreams/

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

http://broodhollow.chainsawsuit.com/page/2013/10/28/dear-diary/

Well this should be interesting.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

We wish to communicate with you!
One thing I doubt will ever be written in this journal, or if it is, it will be so vague as to be meaningless.

"He's DEAD"

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

http://broodhollow.chainsawsuit.com/page/2013/10/30/private-conversation/

Perfectly sane and rational.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
He's still not writing it down. :catstare:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So, the hospital they visited in chapter one is outside of town and seems to be beyond the amnesia effect's influence, right?

They must have quite a few very confused conversations.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Mercy in a coat pocket is just pure :3:

What's the over/under on that woman in the last 2 panels turning out to be some kind of creature?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

You know what would be extra creepy? If he starts writing stuff down, has a perfectly normal day, and then the chapter ends with a view of the journal and it's filled with things that both he and we, the audience, have 'forgotten'.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

MikeJF posted:

So, the hospital they visited in chapter one is outside of town and seems to be beyond the amnesia effect's influence, right?

After they left the hospital they saw the tower-demon thing, then at the end of the last chapter it was there again when he lost his memories. It's probably responsible for all the amnesia going around.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Bobulus posted:

You know what would be extra creepy? If he starts writing stuff down, has a perfectly normal day, and then the chapter ends with a view of the journal and it's filled with things that both he and we, the audience, have 'forgotten'.

I loved it when they did stuff like that with The Silence in Doctor Who, always a classic trick with amnesia-inducing phenomena.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Extra creepy would be to go back and add all the stuff the audience has "forgotten" to previous strips and never ever acknowledge that the art changed.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Tendales posted:

Extra creepy would be to go back and add all the stuff the audience has "forgotten" to previous strips and never ever acknowledge that the art changed.

Th original Candle Cove strip of chainsawsuit was a gif with a super slow framerate, so I wouldn't put that sort of thing past Straub.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Umbra Dubium posted:

Th original Candle Cove strip of chainsawsuit was a gif with a super slow framerate, so I wouldn't put that sort of thing past Straub.

For those who have never seen it, this is the strip as it was shown that day: http://broodhollow.chainsawsuit.com/candlecovecomic/

But for the full effect, switch tabs back to here after reading the strip once (don't linger) and read this, which was the newspost for that day:

quote:

NetNostalgia Forum – Television (local)

Skyshale033
Subject: Candle Cove local kid’s show?
Does anyone remember this kid’s show? It was called Candle Cove and I must have been 6 or 7. I never found reference to it anywhere so I think it was on a local station around 1971 or 1972. I lived in Ironton at the time. I don’t remember which station, but I do remember it was on at a weird time, like 4:00 PM.

mike_painter65
Subject: Re: Candle Cove local kid’s show?
it seems really familiar to me…..i grew up outside of ashland and was 9 yrs old in 72. candle cove…was it about pirates? i remember a pirate marionete at the mouth of a cave talking to a little girl

Skyshale033
YES! Okay I’m not crazy! I remember Pirate Percy. I was always kind of scared of him. He looked like he was built from parts of other dolls, real low-budget. His head was an old porcelain baby doll, looked like an antique that didn’t belong on the body. I don’t remember what station this was! I don’t think it was WTSF though.

Jaren_2005
Sorry to ressurect this old thread but I know exactly what show you mean, Skyshale. I think Candle Cove ran for only a couple months in ‘71, not ‘72. I was 12 and I watched it a few times with my brother. It was channel 58, whatever station that was. My mom would let me switch to it after the news. Let me see what I remember.

It took place in Candle cove, and it was about a little girl who imagined herself to be friends with pirates. The pirate ship was called the Laughingstock, and Pirate Percy wasn’t a very good pirate because he got scared too easily. And there was calliope music constantly playing. Don’t remember the girl’s name. Janice or Jade or something. Think it was Janice.

Skyshale033
Thank you Jaren!!! Memories flooded back when you mentioned the Laughingstock and channel 58. I remember the bow of the ship was a wooden smiling face, with the lower jaw submerged. It looked like it was swallowing the sea and it had that awful Ed Wynn voice and laugh. I especially remember how jarring it was when they switched from the wooden/plastic model, to the foam puppet version of the head that talked.

mike_painter65
ha ha i remember now too. ;) do you remember this part skyshale: “you have…to go…INSIDE.”

Skyshale033
Ugh mike, I got a chill reading that. Yes I remember. That’s what the ship always told Percy when there was a spooky place he had to go in, like a cave or a dark room where the treasure was. And the camera would push in on Laughingstock’s face with each pause. YOU HAVE… TO GO… INSIDE. With his two eyes askew and that flopping foam jaw and the fishing line that opened and closed it. Ugh. It just looked so cheap and awful.

You guys remember the villain? He had a face that was just a handlebar mustache above really tall, narrow teeth.

kevin_hart
i honestly, honestly thought the villain was pirate percy. i was about 5 when this show was on. nightmare fuel.

Jaren_2005
That wasn’t the villain, the puppet with the mustache. That was the villain’s sidekick, Horace Horrible. He had a monocle too, but it was on top of the mustache. I used to think that meant he had only one eye.

But yeah, the villain was another marionette. The Skin-Taker. I can’t believe what they let us watch back then.

kevin_hart
jesus h. christ, the skin taker. what kind of a kids show were we watching? i seriously could not look at the screen when the skin taker showed up. he just descended out of nowhere on his strings, just a dirty skeleton wearing that brown top hat and cape. and his glass eyes that were too big for his skull. christ almighty.

Skyshale033
Wasn’t his top hat and cloak all sewn up crazily? Was that supposed to be children’s skin??

mike_painter65
yeah i think so. rememer his mouth didn’t open and close, his jaw just slid back and foth. i remember the little girl said “why does your mouth move like that” and the skin-taker didn’t look at the girl but at the camera and said “TO GRIND YOUR SKIN”

Skyshale033
I’m so relieved that other people remember this terrible show!

I used to have this awful memory, a bad dream I had where the opening jingle ended, the show faded in from black, and all the characters were there, but the camera was just cutting to each of their faces, and they were just screaming, and the puppets and marionettes were flailing spastically, and just all screaming, screaming. The girl was just moaning and crying like she had been through hours of this. I woke up many times from that nightmare. I used to wet the bed when I had it.

kevin_hart
i don’t think that was a dream. i remember that. i remember that was an episode.

Skyshale033
No no no, not possible. There was no plot or anything, I mean literally just standing in place crying and screaming for the whole show.

kevin_hart
maybe i’m manufacturing the memory because you said that, but i swear to god i remember seeing what you described. they just screamed.

Jaren_2005
Oh God. Yes. The little girl, Janice, I remember seeing her shake. And the Skin-Taker screaming through his gnashing teeth, his jaw careening so wildly I thought it would come off its wire hinges. I turned it off and it was the last time I watched. I ran to tell my brother and we didn’t have the courage to turn it back on.

mike_painter65
i visited my mom today at the nursing home. i asked her about when i was littel in the early 70s, when i was 8 or 9 and if she remebered a kid’s show, candle cove. she said she was suprised i could remember that and i asked why, and she said “because i used to think it was so strange that you said ‘i’m gona go watch candle cove now mom’ and then you would tune the tv to static and juts watch dead air for 30 minutes. you had a big imagination with your little pirate show.”

Now look at the comic again.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Hey that's clever. The static is actually a background image, and the animation merely consists in making more and more of the comic transparent.

If you do read the fake comments before going back to the strip, though, you'll probably miss when "you have to go inside" flashes over the static.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Cat Mattress posted:

Hey that's clever. The static is actually a background image, and the animation merely consists in making more and more of the comic transparent.

If you do read the fake comments before going back to the strip, though, you'll probably miss when "you have to go inside" flashes over the static.

Yeah, you have to Ctrl+F5 to completely refresh the gif cycle, and it's worth it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

McSpanky posted:

Yeah, you have to Ctrl+F5 to completely refresh the gif cycle, and it's worth it.

Is that taking into account Opera with how it resets gifs if they leave the view area?

Edit: drat phone autocorrect.

Len fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 1, 2013

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Mr. Mayor, please stop phasing in out of the snow like that.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Come to think of it, would getting a journal actually work? Iris wrote down everything about her father's death, but it looks like she forgot all the same.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Len posted:

Is that taking into account Opera with how it resets gifs if they leave the view area?

Edit: drat phone autocorrect.

No, I'm on Firefox, which doesn't reset gifs with normal page refreshes.

Gotta love the mayor looking right at the viewer when he says "We haven't seen the worst of it yet!"

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Mr. Loucks, please stop being creepy.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

This is pretty good and I'm looking forward to following it. I particularly enjoy the way the artist seems to have a knack for scares and suspense, seemingly adapting known horror movie framing/editing techniques to the comic format. Pretty loving well done, once again.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
So latest page up, spoilered just in case: Iris does remember her father died.

I really wonder to what extent the ending of book 1 and the dream beginning of book 2 are implying that people have slipped back into their comfortable amnesia. Zane still remembers his patters and obsession with them. Obviously he should remember to some degree where Mercy came from. But his forgetting about his scar seems to imply he'd forgotten all about the spooky goings on from book 1. But now the comic is showing that they all do remember most of it, if at least not the specifics.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

One of these days, I'm just gonna snap and murder somebody, and the cops'll just find "they didn't link the comic" written on the wall in blood.

Also you're still being creepy, Mr. Loucks.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
So it's not just Zane who's noticing cracks in the town's facade. :unsmith: I was looking back at earlier strips and noticed the Mayor's first real appearance in the chapter has his hands over his face. That's a really nice touch there.

EDIT: Fixed the link.

Action Tortoise fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Nov 10, 2013

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

Action Tortoise posted:

So it's not just Zane who's noticing cracks in the town's facade. :unsmith: I was looking back at earlier strips and noticed the Mayor's first real appearance in the chapter has his hands over his face. That's a really nice touch there.

Looks more like he's warming his hands with his breath to me

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Action Tortoise posted:

That's a link to the most recent comic.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Ariong posted:

That's a link to the most recent comic.
Oh, thank God, I thought it was just me.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Women are strange things to Mr. Loucks, I suppose.

Well, relatively strange as compared to the town itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Goddamn, I love boxcar diners

• Locked thread