Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

The iPhone is Apple's flagship mobile device. It has had six generations of the product, oddly enough the 6th generation is called the iPhone 5. The naming of the phone will derail this thread for about 6 pages prior to a new iPhone launch.

:siren:CURRENT RUMORS:siren:
iPhone 5S is rumored to be the next iPhone this fall. It will be a spec bump phone, same design, faster & better. Really nothing. There might be strong hints in the iOS 7 keynote today about what we could see in the next iPhone.

:d:Key Features of the iPhone 5:d:

4 inch screen - The iPhone 5 has a complete redesign from the iPhone 4S, and boasts a larger, 4 inch screen. This is the first device that uses the "Black/Slate" and "White/Silver" color combinations. All previous generations were Black or White.
Retina Display - The Retina Display was introduced in the iPhone 4, and was considered a reinvention of the device. The display quadrupled the number of pixels in the screen, changing the pixels per inch (otherwise known as PPI) from 163 to 326. Retina Displays, according to Apple, are screens that your eye cannot see individual pixels in the screen at a normal viewing distance.
LTE & Celluar - The iPhone 5 comes with LTE/4G/3G on AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint. The 4S is 4G/3G on AT&T and 3G on Sprint/Verizon, and the 4 is 3G on AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon
A6 Chip - Apple's fastest mobile chip yet.
Lightning Connector - A small, reversible, usb micro-like connector thats not USB micro. The Apple mobile first device to use a non 30-pin dock connector.

Previous Generation Features
iPhone 4S (5th Generation) - Max Supported iOS Version 6.1.3 - A twice as fast iPhone 4, introduced Siri, had a better Camera than the iPhone 4.
iPhone 4 (4th Generation) - Max Supported iOS Version 6.1.3 - The first iPhone to boast a retina display. Also improved on the internals of the 3GS, was much faster. This phone was also a complete redesign from the iPhone 3G/3Gs
iPhone 3GS (3th Generation) - Max Supported iOS Version 6.1.3 - The first iPhone to use new internals (better chipset, faster speeds). This was also the first device to use an oleophobic coating, making the glass resistant to fingerprint oil, and cleans easier.
iPhone 3G (2th Generation) - Max Supported iOS Version 4.2.1 - The first iPhone to boast both 3G data connectivity and carrier subsidization. This phone was only available on AT&T. This phone was a redesign of the original iPhone.
iPhone (1st Generation) - Max Support iOS Version 3.1.3 - The original iPhone, cost a poo poo ton of money since carriers were not subsidizing the cost. Slow, but revolutionary at the time, only runs on the EDGE network of AT&T.

:d:Official Accessories:d:

Apple Lightning to USB Cable - You get one of these in the box, however if you need more than one this may help.

Cases/Bumpers/Protectores Highly Recommended by Goons

Amazon Basic Lightning Cable - Works fine (I own two of them), they cost around $5 cheaper than the offical Apple cable.
A ton of other iPhone accessories - I give a link to the Amazon iPhone 5 accessory list, as there are a plethora of different things. Use goons and this thread to help get reviews on the better products. Rule of thumb, if it seems really cheap on the price side, its probably pretty cheap on the quality side.

:d:Warranty:d:

AppleCare+ - AppleCare+ is the extended warranty that you can purchase on your iPhone. You pay $99 up front, this covers your iPhone for an additional 1 Year on top of the 1 Year you get from Apple without AC+. AppleCare+, however, will also grant you two "Accidental" replacements for $49 each. This means that if you drop your iPhone and the screen shatters, or you drop it in your tub full of water, or you spike it to the floor volleyball style, you bring it in, fork over $49, and you get a "new" refurbished model (which are considered new).

SquareTrade - This is essentially AppleCare+, however is good for only one use (and terminates the warranty when you do use it to replace your iPhone). Its not as easy as walking into an Apple Store to get it taken care of on the spot (however they do have options to do this).

Apps & Games
Games Thread
Apps Thread

Helpful UI Tips
  • Double Pushing the "Home" button will bring up the multitasking menu. Swipe to the left once in the multitasking menu (so swiping from left to right) will bring up the music multitasking menu.

What to use this thread for?
  • Finding out the latest and greatest news and rumors for iPhones.
  • Ask questions about accessories.
  • Store Availability
  • Questions about which model to use, and why you should buy one in the first place.
  • Other questions that are relevant to the iPhone.

Link to the Previous iPhone Megathread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
So let's get this out of the way early before everyone clogs the thread...

who do I have to blow to get put on a dev beta list?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Pay $100 for a dev account.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Can we not start this poo poo? There are NDA problems and support issues and all kinds of poo poo that comes with this.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios7/

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I'll handle the balls!

(Seriously though. Never, EVER, EVER cared about betas before today for iOS software.

Historically speaking, when has the first stable, really "usable" version been?

Version 2? 3?

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.
I'm just amazed that my iPhone 4 isn't being completely left for dead yet.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Feenix posted:

I'll handle the balls!

(Seriously though. Never, EVER, EVER cared about betas before today for iOS software.

Version 2? 3?
iOS 5 and 6 betas were all fine. 4 had some unusable ones. I expect 7 to be really broken.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

I'll handle the balls!

Version 2? 3?

The last two were perfectly usable from the get go for me. Every now and then an app would quit, or there would be a 3rd party app that refused to run at all, but I never had issues with core functionality.

SunknLiner
Jan 19, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Pay $100 for a dev account.

How does one do that?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

maduin posted:

Can we not start this poo poo? There are NDA problems and support issues and all kinds of poo poo that comes with this.
Which is why I got it out of the way early.

;)

Hyperdermic Needle
Oct 24, 2010
strwrsxprt - is it still allowed for devs to take requests for beta users?

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

SunknLiner posted:

How does one do that?

http://developer.apple.com/

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Also be sure to click "Watch the Video" on that page. iOS 7 needs to be seen in action.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

SunknLiner posted:

How does one do that?

http://developer.apple.com/iphone/program/

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I expect 7 to be really broken.

I'm weighing my options here. Twitter is the only 3rd party app that I'd really hate to be without, but given that it has some direct integration I'm hoping it will work from the beginning.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

SunknLiner posted:

How does one do that?

Go to developer.apple.com and give them some money. Once you log in it's almost impossible to not stumble into a page asking you to pay.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Hyperdermic Needle posted:

strwrsxprt - is it still allowed for devs to take requests for beta users?
I don't really want beta chat in here. It always results in people begging for invites, bitching about what's broken, etc.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I don't really want beta chat in here. It always results in people begging for invites, bitching about what's broken, etc.

Is there somewhere you'd be ok with someone making a thread for that?

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

TealShark posted:

I'm just amazed that my iPhone 4 isn't being completely left for dead yet.

That will happen in the fall when the announce the 5s.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I am very happy with what I saw today (unlike what I saw from the XBox One Conference.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I didn't think they'd surprise me with iOS 7 but they did. They basically took the best of the jailbreak community and brought it to the official OS.

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

screenwritersblues posted:

That will happen in the fall when the announce the 5s.

If I can get one more year out of the 4 and then roll into a 6, I'm OK with that.

I expect a lot of the iOS 7 features to be missing and it to run like molasses-covered rear end though.

Hyperdermic Needle
Oct 24, 2010
developer.apple.com down for anyone else?

SunknLiner
Jan 19, 2005

Yup

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Hyperdermic Needle posted:

developer.apple.com down for anyone else?

It's completely DDoS'd by developers right now. If anyone can get in, the download link for the iPad Little would be appreciated.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Kinda wishing I got a white i5 now...

Weird how literally every single promotional material for iOS7 shows white iPhones.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

ultramiraculous posted:

It's completely DDoS'd by developers right now. If anyone can get in, the download link for the iPad Little would be appreciated.
Beta isn't out for iPads until next week.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Man that font they chose, plus all the transparency, makes the entire thing feel like it's an iOS port of Vista/W7.

Don't mean it like it's a bad thing.. it looks pretty great, but I'm going to miss the slightly heavier typefaces they used in the past.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
iOS7 looks great. The only thing off the top of my head that would make it better is some kind of quick compose for SMS.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Still can't decide if I should get a 5 right now. On a 4. Will be buying off contract.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Ziploc posted:

Still can't decide if I should get a 5 right now. On a 4. Will be buying off contract.

Wait three months and get the 5S.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Sieg posted:

Wait three months and get the 5S.

New prices will be considerably more than an eBayed BNIB 5 right now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ultramiraculous posted:

They said iPhone is the only version available today. iPads will be "later."

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Ziploc posted:

New prices will be considerably more than an eBayed BNIB 5 right now.

Looking at eBay right now for a new in box 5, I'm seeing prices around $600. So you'd maybe save at most $50? Buy 50 less cheeseburgers in the next 3 months and get the 5S for $649 from Apple.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Beta isn't out for iPads until next week.

Endless Mike posted:

They said iPhone is the only version available today. iPads will be "later."

Well now I know :eng99:

This is making the temptation to put it on my phone so much worse.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I really like a lot of the iOS7 redesign. Obviously it's necessary.

When you break from the button mold though stuff like this really starts to irritate me:

I hope there isn't too much text bleed like that going on. This is quite the minor complaint though. I currently have an iOS7 boner and want to play with Awful App PSDs all night.

SunknLiner
Jan 19, 2005

I'm not seeing it...

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
He thinks that the blue word Messages is too close to the black word Paul and it's making him feel claustrophobic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is it still relatively easy to go back to a stable release iOS after installing a developer preview? I haven't had a preview-eligible device in so long that I don't know what's changed since then.

• Locked thread