Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yo for real someone sweet talk me with the new Photostream poo poo (if it works). It's unironically the feature I'm looking forward to the most.

(Please tell me it keeps poo poo in the cloud rather than download EVERYTHING like it currently does)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Sockser posted:

"Devices updated to iOS 7 beta can not be restored to earlier versions of iOS."

Welp. Taking the plunge, folks. See you on the other side.

Standard Apple disclaimer -- it's not actually true (or at least, hasn't been so far.)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The screenshots posted in this thread so far look beautiful. I wish I had a spare iOS device to install the beta on, as I'm not ballsy (or stupid?) enough to install it on my iPhone. But keep the photos coming, guys. They rock. I'm getting more and more excited for iOS7.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Is it just me or does this page totally show a red iPhone toward the bottom?

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I'd love it if somebody who installed iOS 7 would attempt to go back to iOS 6. That's the only thing holding me back.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

VERTiG0 posted:

I'd love it if somebody who installed iOS 7 would attempt to go back to iOS 6. That's the only thing holding me back.
I'm taking this phone in to the Genius Bar in 2 days for camera issues. I'll do it right before and report back.

I've done DFU restores off of developer betas before.

da weed wizard
Feb 19, 2005
gently caress, I vaguely recall reading something a while back about gmail ceasing to support push on "new devices", upgrading to iOS 7 has effectively made my phone a new device and thusly broken push, hasn't it?

edit: nevermind

da weed wizard fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 11, 2013

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

VERTiG0 posted:

I can confirm that a DFU restore to 6.1.4 works just fine.

mewse
May 2, 2006

da weed wizard posted:

gently caress, I vaguely recall reading something a while back about gmail ceasing to support push on "new devices", upgrading to iOS 7 has effectively made my phone a new device and thusly broken push, hasn't it?

It shouldn't. Any unique identifiers on the device have remained the same.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Feenix posted:

So, Passbook just brings up a blank screen of the wallpaper..

Works fine for me. Actually has two items that I've previously deleted from it before- which I would imagine should have been sync'd cloud wise. I'm taking notes of issues to report and that is one of them.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

comper posted:

I can confirm that a DFU restore to 6.1.4 works just fine.

On which model phone? I'm on an 4, A1332.

da weed wizard
Feb 19, 2005

mewse posted:

It shouldn't. Any unique identifiers on the device have remained the same.

yeah nevermind I'm a dumbass and was putting mail.google.com instead of m.google.com in the server field

fwiw I can also confirm that DFU restore to 6.1.4 is working for me, A1428

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

VERTiG0 posted:

VERTiG0 posted:

I fully installed 7.0, had develope "activation" issues, and DFU'ed back to 6.1.4 TWICE(!) and took about 5 minutes each.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
On which model iPhone? 4, 4S, 5?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Automatic night mode for turn-by-turn in Maps:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sooooooooo pretty! :swoon:

step aside
Sep 21, 2011

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

That share button looks so out of place.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I was honestly getting pretty bored of iOS these days, and I've only had an iPhone for about 2 and a half years now. The new iOS looks absolutely amaaaazing though. It's going to pretty much kill my interest in jailbreak from the look of things.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

As one of the few people (it would seem, from reading comments online) who actually uses spotlight on the iPhone, can someone please tell me if you can still search google/wikipedia from spotlight in the beta?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Is there an iteration of quick reply to messages present at all?

decypher fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jun 11, 2013

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Anmitzcuaca posted:

As one of the few people (it would seem, from reading comments online) who actually uses spotlight on the iPhone, can someone please tell me if you can still search google/wikipedia from spotlight in the beta?

Doesn't look like it :(

And no BiteSMS-style quick-reply. Seriously Apple, I've been bummed every keynote since iOS4 that you don't introduce this :argh:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Trip report: A little sluggish on the 4S.

The white icons are bothering me far more than they should.

Apps are transferring over. I'll of course be checking the most important ones:
Words with Friends
Facebook
Twitter
Spotify - Works!
The Awful App

and most importantly the Suicide Girls flip strip app because that thing is an antique and I'll be devastated if it no longer works

e: It's weird, because app switching and launching and such is blazing-fast but I get sluggishness out of loving typing :confused:

e: and apparently devs need to reformat error messages

e: with the way folders open up now, it feels like you should be able to swipe them away and not have to tap away but you have to tap.

e: the action to unlock the phone is exactly the same as it always was, but now you swipe your lockscreen to the right instead of moving a slider and for some reason it feels completely different and weird. Like, If I'm moving the lockscreen I should swipe it to the left, man.

e: definitely going to hold off on putting this on my Mini.

Sockser fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jun 11, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

step aside posted:

That share button looks so out of place.
Turn-by-turn's layout is actually pretty broken right now. UI elements frequently overlap each other.

I wouldn't be surprised if the icon arrangement is still not final.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I have some jailbreak apps *Stuck* not loaded, won't load, and can't delete.

I have never used iFunbox. Can it remove apps wholesale?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Kazy posted:

And no BiteSMS-style quick-reply. Seriously Apple, I've been bummed every keynote since iOS4 that you don't introduce this :argh:
Interestingly enough, they added that functionality to Mavericks. You can just type a response into a Messages Notification. I'd be stunned if it doesn't make it to iOS within the next year (maybe as part of 7.1 or something).

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?
With all of these new gesture controls in iOS 7 like swipe up from the bottom for Control Center, etc. Do you think Apple is preparing iOS to work with a phone that doesn't have a physical home button?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Important: the awful app works , I guess.

Edit: poo poo. Photos get backed up to iphoto, not to itunes. Just lost all my photos through December because I'm loving stupid or something.

e: It's like the last 6 months just vanished

Sockser fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 11, 2013

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?

Sockser posted:

Important: the awful app works , I guess.

Edit: poo poo. Photos get backed up to iphoto, not to itunes. Just lost all my photos through December because I'm loving stupid or something.

e: It's like the last 6 months just vanished

If you have a recent backup you can use a program like DiskAid or iExplorer to dig through it and probably get most of them back.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Interestingly enough, they added that functionality to Mavericks. You can just type a response into a Messages Notification. I'd be stunned if it doesn't make it to iOS within the next year (maybe as part of 7.1 or something).

That or just a future beta before release. They've added stuff like that before.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I'm kinda down about the new UI but I'm interested in how integrated it'll be with OSX Mavericks since I might be buying a MacBook for the first time this fall. The Apple website says you can highlight and annotate books on your MacBook and push all the edits to your iOS devices. Also you can apparently set up an entire set of directions and push them to iOS Maps. I've been using Windows all my life so something more tightly integrated might be nice.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

This is pretty cool.

Although because of the curve of my car's glass I'm able to create my own heads up display if I position the phone in the correct place on the dash, I wonder if I'll still be able to do that with reduced brightness?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

HorseDickSandwich posted:

If you have a recent backup you can use a program like DiskAid or iExplorer to dig through it and probably get most of them back.

Unfortunately, I think because I had photos set to sync with iPhoto (I don't know why, I guess it's because I'm fuckign stupid) it doesn't look like those are in my backups
:(

e: Yep, backups are ~7gb each, I had 7gb of photos before. Man.

Sockser fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jun 11, 2013

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Took the plunge. It runs about as well as iOS 6 did on my iPhone 4. Really liking the new look, and Control Centre is great. It's these quick access toggles that I used to jailbreak for. Glad to see that it's now unnecessary.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Sockser posted:

Unfortunately, I think because I had photos set to sync with iPhoto (I don't know why, I guess it's because I'm fuckign stupid) it doesn't look like those are in my backups
:(

Can you pull them out of your photostream? I sync my phone to a mac with an old iphoto so I can't check this, all my pictures show up on my windows machine even though I've never synced the phone so I assume the mac is the same if you have the right iphoto?

step aside
Sep 21, 2011
I was initially dazzled when I saw it, but after thinking about it for a bit, I feel it's a really mixed bag. Some absolutely beautiful things are in there, and then some things that I think are really terrible, like the vasoline-smeared glass panels. I get what they're going for with the overlays, but I think it needs to be way more opaque.

That said, the main functionality for iOS 7 seems to be on point and most of the apps look great, so hopefully the weird inconsistencies get taken care of and the vasoline panels get toned down.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Rick posted:

Can you pull them out of your photostream? I sync my phone to a mac with an old iphoto so I can't check this, all my pictures show up on my windows machine even though I've never synced the phone so I assume the mac is the same if you have the right iphoto?

And I don't have iPhoto set to automatically sync for some reason. I don't know, I guess I never put much thought into this until all my photos were gone.

e: Oh, it was because I hated iPhoto popping itself up all the time. That's why I disabled it.

Lost cause, I suppose.

e: wait, poo poo, my phone currently has 6gb of 'other' files on it. My photos, in ethereal form, perhaps?

e: Got it from the backup! DiskAid and iExplorer were both useless. Got some sketchy-looking app called Dr. Fone and it got everything. Nice.

e: sketchy app costs money boooo whatever got diskaid to do what I needed jesus christ this was a scary experience but man did I learn an important lesson here.

Sockser fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jun 11, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

step aside posted:

so hopefully the weird inconsistencies get taken care of and the vasoline panels get toned down.
File bug reports.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Sockser posted:

And I don't have iPhoto set to automatically sync for some reason. I don't know, I guess I never put much thought into this until all my photos were gone.

e: Oh, it was because I hated iPhoto popping itself up all the time. That's why I disabled it.

Lost cause, I suppose.

Well, darn. I thought that pictures were supposed to just show up in your photostream even if you didn't sync but I guess I'm wrong here. That sucks, man.

Fake edit: Yay to your real edits.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Man, I think this looks like total poo poo
Someone got their Office 2013 all up in my iOS7.

Also, this runs really badly on a plain iPhone 4 fyi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

The frosted glass look is mostly cool, but it took my sweet old wallpaper:

And turned it into this:

Womp womp.

Really, any cool wallpapers you have that are based around where icons lie are just no good now.

• Locked thread