Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Chomp8645 posted:

Forgive my ignorance, but what is an AMA?

Ask Me About, on Reddit. They'll start a thread there and anyone can drop their questions there, the devs will answer either questions they feel like or ones voted to top, who knows.

I expect more hilarious quotes to come from it.

Stanyer89 posted:

I will forever live my life by this quote.

As hilarious as it is, I think the idea is that you will have more options than both sides charging at each other across the open field. Problem I see with this is that if those places at rear are important enough to destroy, then they are also important enough to defend and playing the rear guard sucks.

throw to first DAMN IT fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harabeck
Feb 9, 2012

Puistokemisti posted:

As hilarious as it is, I think the idea is that you will have more options than both sides charging at each other across the open field. Problem I see with this is that if those places at rear are important enough to destroy, then they are also important enough to defend and playing the rear guard sucks.

Hopefully defenders would have enough time to respond, so that playing rear guard meant rapidly reacting to threats that pop up instead of just sitting at an empty capture point. To analogize with a current game, Mechwarrior Online allows matches to be ended by capturing the enemy base. It's far from a perfect system, but because it takes long enough that you can usually send someone back in time, no one ever sits there to guard it. You just react if it happens.

In this case, I imagine you manning the walls of a fortress and getting an alert about one of the outlying facilities, and a squad sorties to deal with it.

Of course, that may not match up to that guy's vision of Seal tactics...

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Paraphrasing: "I worked for the military for a little while, so..."

Jesus H. This guy sounds like a sixteen year old who thinks a stint in Cadets makes him a loving colonel.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Bieeardo posted:

Paraphrasing: "I worked for the military for a little while, so..."

Jesus H. This guy sounds like a sixteen year old who thinks a stint in Cadets makes him a loving colonel.

lol what? Where can I read this poo poo heads full interview and find out who he is?

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I don't play MMOs but that's the best idea about integrating f2p I've ever heard.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Secret Spoon posted:

lol what? Where can I read this poo poo heads full interview and find out who he is?

The interview Fat_Cow posted on the last page. http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/06/14/interview-warhammer-40000-eternal-crusades-miguel-caron-shares-his-vision-for-a-next-gen-mmorpg/

You see, this guy also "studied war strategy in university" so he's pretty much Sun Tzu reincarnated now.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I don't play MMOs but that's the best idea about integrating f2p I've ever heard.

The Free-to-Play bit is genuinely pretty cool, if a little limited, but at this point it's not even an issue. It's the sheer amount of awful things they keep saying, and the terrible way they're saying it, that's the problem.

trashcangammy
Jul 31, 2012
Oh welp, I'm sceptical, but they could make this game about kinky gay dudes hooking up and in a 40k universe, it'd be badass. I suspect this will instead be about killing enemy motherfuckers, who are the enemy and must die. Should be good.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

On one hand this could be amazing, on the other probably terrible. Whether either is in spite of or because of the other remains to be seen.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Don't forget "I worked for the military" is not the same as "I served in the military".

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

We all keep forgetting that the Canadian Military has the same tactics as a Tactical Marine fighting Space elfs and ork boyz.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

This game is going to be poo poo but it is poo poo that I will pay for because I am a horrible consumer with Stockholm syndrome with all these crappy developers.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I am the eternal optimist; all of the awful things the devs are describing could actually be quite good!

-- AI Tyranids that focus on the winning faction could be good. If you have an open world with control points and keeps and such, once you get momentum it can be hard for other factions to break your momentum, especially when you account for timezones and peak hours of play. I've seen it happen in Guild Wars 2 and back in Dark Age of Camelot.
Tyranids would be the trash mobs that wander around the battlegrounds, they are unorganized dumb animals, until some switch is flipped and a Left4Dead style AI director starts organizing them as if it was playing a RTS. As your faction controls more territory, you get more and more attention from a 4th AI controlled faction. Once you cross a certain threshold it stops being a "Defend your keeps against other Players" kind of game and turns into a "Defend your keeps against a giant AI horde" type of game. Perhaps you really start to get large numbers of bonus points/drops/experence once your faction crosses this threshold and it becomes race against the clock as you try to keep those bonus points rolling in. First it's waves of trash mobs and then occasional elite mobs and it all ends with a raid level boss that makes a beeline for your keeps.
Once you lose enough territory the Tyranids would become less aggressive and eventually just become mindless trash; it would even somewhat mirror their behavior in the lore; a hive intelligence. They are just dumb animals until they have more powerful leader to guide them.

-- Free Players are Ork Boyz/IG/Guardians/Cultists ... eh I got nothing that would be fun for everybody, really.. Mabye free players get to be a trash mob and the game spawns a couple AI companions that are just as trash that follow you around and assist, the player is more of a squad leader than a lone wolf. It would make sense lore wise as these units are always in groups. (wasn't there some mmo where one of the races was actually three creatures working as a team?)

I was just as excited when FireWarrior was announced. The Tau are great for a FPS! They use modern tactics, they focus on ranged combat, they have a variety of neat guns! Then the game came out and you were walking through bland trenches as Imperial Guard shambled towards you, and in true video game fashion, some were dressed in blue, some were palletswapped to red; the red ones took twice as many hits to kill.

kzin602 fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 17, 2013

Harabeck
Feb 9, 2012

Yeah, we don't *know* that the game will be bad. We can still pretend anything we want. We'll have plenty of time to whine about the game when there's actually a game to whine about.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

kzin602 posted:

-- Free Players are Ork Boyz/IG/Guardians/Cultists ...

If this were the actual case it would be less bad, still loving awful but a little less so, but they have said the only F2P faction will be Orks and you will only get to play as Ork Boyz.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Isn't the fact that they want to release in two years a pretty clear indication that it's going to suck? Obviously they can always delay it later but it's hard to get the impression that they know what they are doing when they starting with such an unrealistic goal.

Harabeck
Feb 9, 2012

Senjuro posted:

Isn't the fact that they want to release in two years a pretty clear indication that it's going to suck? Obviously they can always delay it later but it's hard to get the impression that they know what they are doing when they starting with such an unrealistic goal.

Eh, all games choose an initial release date they know they can't meet. It's just to keep the investors happy. And "release" has become a pretty meaningless terms in relation to online games, especially F2P ones.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Harabeck posted:

Eh, all games choose an initial release date they know they can't meet. It's just to keep the investors happy. And "release" has become a pretty meaningless terms in relation to online games, especially F2P ones.

At least the term "release" hasn't suffered nearly as much as the word "beta". The latter now apparently refers to everything from "actually testing bugs and balance" (the most rare) to, "the game is done but we need a pre-order bonus", to "the game is 100% released in reality but we want to deflect criticism by saying it's a beta", to "the game is released but continually in development so it's a beta forever".

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Senjuro posted:

Planetside 2 went from development to "release" in something like 2 years. If they are aiming for something similar game wise it's very doable in a limited amount of time and depending on how easily it is to poo poo out content with their engine.

Don't forget that a lot of MMO's have massive development times because they need to create massive worlds and then fill those worlds with content for the player to consume. From what I am getting from this game so far is that the game is going to be largely a PVP game in which the vast majority of the content will develop from the players themselves which means lots of development time will be slashed right away.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
I've started a petition for them to develop the crafting system to include F2P characters as materials for my purp Paying Customer armor sets.

Then when they login they just get a third person camera view of me flexin' and they can feel good about how swag they made me.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Hahahaha, oh wow. This loving game. :allears:

We're definitely cursed on the 40K front. It's a bloody wonder that Relic didn't suddenly burst into flames when they got the deal to make the Dawn of War games.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

rizzen posted:

Hahahaha, oh wow. This loving game. :allears:

We're definitely cursed on the 40K front. It's a bloody wonder that Relic didn't suddenly burst into flames when they got the deal to make the Dawn of War games.

I put all of the fault in GW's lap, really. It's their decision who to sell their rights to, and I'm positive they stick to tiny studios they can bully and exert huge control over because those studios are desperate for a big break using a well-loved IP like 40k.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet

- David Ghozland, CD

quote:

GREETINGS, FELLOW CRUSADERS!

Welcome to the first edition of the Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade newsletter. I’m David Ghozland, Creative Director on the project.

First of all, I wanted to say that myself and the team here at Behaviour Interactive can’t thank you enough for your support. We knew there would be a big response to a new 40k MMO, but the passion and enthusiasm we’ve seen from the community has gone beyond our expectations.

We consider this to be YOUR game – the online 40k world that the fans have always wanted. To that end, we’ll be setting up a space where you can communicate with the devs and share your thoughts. Expect some news on this front very soon!

In the months to come, this newsletter will be a platform for expressing our specific intentions on this project and communicating the thought processes behind its development. For the inaugural edition, however, I’d like to say a bit more about the game itself.

A World At War

One of the first misconceptions we saw about the game based on the announcement was that because of the game’s genre, people thought that we were making a "traditional" MMORPG. If you looked out our "required playing" list for new team members*, you'd see that we're planning on making something quite different indeed. We believe that the MMORPG genre is one with vast possibilities – just look at EvE Online or Firefall to see how far it can stretch.

In Eternal Crusade, we’re presenting a war on a planetary scale, but what you want to do in the game world is really up to you - there's no traditional quest or leveling structure in the experience. When you drop down to the planet with your friends, you’ll have a great overview of the ongoing conflict due to both traditional UI elements and community channels. If you want to head to the front lines and fight where you’re needed most, you can drive over there and do so. Along the way you might meet players from the enemy faction skulking about, or maybe you’ll spot a tantalizing entrance to the world beneath the surface or a Tyranid infestation bursting out near one of your strongholds.

Or perhaps one of your squad-mates will get an idea to hit the enemy behind their lines at a particularly valuable strategic position. It’ll take some skill to get there unnoticed and you might be guaranteed to have the enemy’s attention once you’ve done the damage, but the game's not going to stop you!

Part of what makes this possible is that MMO technology has come far enough to allow for true skill & precision-based gameplay and we’ve made a deliberate choice to make progression as horizontal as possible. A small amount of power gain is inevitable, but in a PvP-focused game it’s crucial that the vast majority of progression is about filling out your tactical possibilities and increasing specialization. Tabletop 40k has been a big inspiration in this regard, as you’ll see when we talk more about creating your character builds.

The other part is that we’re not creating a "content-heavy" world, but rather one driven by gameplay systems. There are unique spots to find, environmental lore bits and an ongoing narrative, but community efforts and Tyranid invasions drive the battle for the surface while the shapes and challenges of the underworld are generated procedurally. Our aim is to make an online world that never stops being able to surprise its players.

If this sounds good to you, stick around! We’ll keep talking about the details of the game design and other production updates right here, so if you know anyone else who might be interested in these topics, you can encourage them to register on the site.

Until next time, may the Emperor protect!

Copy of an e-mail I received from their mailing list.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Behaviour Interactive needs to immediately put this guy in charge of PR and never let that CEO (or whatever he was) get in front of an interviewer again.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Chomp8645 posted:

Behaviour Interactive needs to immediately put this guy in charge of PR and never let that CEO (or whatever he was) get in front of an interviewer again.

Nah, this guy likes the false emperor, pick someone better.

:goonsay:

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Oh my god I just finished reading that clown shoe interview hahaha. "I STUDIED MILITARY TACTICS AT CANADIAN UNIVERSITY AND!" :goonsay:.

10 people "issuing" orders? good luck.

Games going to be a hilarious failure if this is any indication https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGigkA-Xh5E

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Revener posted:

- David Ghozland, CD

Copy of an e-mail I received from their mailing list.

Look! Hes reading what may be a picture book. I don't think its the rule book too thin for even a race book...

So yeah, at least hes looking at pictures?

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011
He also wrote at the bottom of the E-mail : THE FOUR GAMES ETERNAL CRUSADE DEVS MUST-PLAY:

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine
Planetside 2
Borderlands
Mount & Blade: Warband

A melding of those games as a warhammer 40k mmo does sound pretty awesome, but we all know what they say about Hope.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Al Borland posted:

Look! Hes reading what may be a picture book. I don't think its the rule book too thin for even a race book...

So yeah, at least hes looking at pictures?

Your outing yourself here man... Thats the new codex for Chaos Demons. So turns out he knows more about 40k than you

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet

Kaizer88 posted:

He also wrote at the bottom of the E-mail : THE FOUR GAMES ETERNAL CRUSADE DEVS MUST-PLAY:

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine
Planetside 2
Borderlands
Mount & Blade: Warband

A melding of those games as a warhammer 40k mmo does sound pretty awesome, but we all know what they say about Hope.

:catstare: Why? Why these two? Space marine didn't bring anything new to the table at best and Borderlands is like a terrible first person Diablo without the solid visuals. Also dick jokes.

Exmond posted:

Your outing yourself here man... Thats the new codex for Chaos Demons. So turns out he knows more about 40k than you

I haven't even walked into a hobby store in a long time, are codexes hardcovered now? If so let me just say :laffo:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Space Marine got the feeling of being a Space Marine absolutely right.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

It also offers a excellent model off which to base a game that involves cash Space Marines literally stomping on a bunch of free to play Ork hooligans.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
I don't know man, in the books it sounds like they do more than swing their chainsword three times and then stomping ad nauseum for an entire campaign (in which orks are presented in tidy groups.) Also I'm permanently upset at every iteration of 40k turning bolters into uzis.

Actually that might've been the only thing Firewarrior got right, the Marines in it were armored to poo poo and the bolters felt like automatic rocket launchers like they say everywhere in the fluff. It boggles the mind how something so easy to implement and so ubiquitous in the fluff could be so underrepresented in the games. It'd be like if Ultramarines were presented as cyan.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

All I remember from it is one of the lead devs basically coming out and laughing at the horrible atrocity that was Dawn of War 2 and its dumbed down AI and gameplay. Both of which were done better in Dawn of War and Company of Heroes.

The guy basically pointed at DoW2 and said "Cover's for pussies. :black101:" before showing how they based the core gameplay concept of Space Marine around being a rampaging humanoid tank. Which is exactly what a Space Marine is supposed to be. If you're having your army of genetic supermen cowering behind a wall instead of ripping the thing out of the ground in chunks to bludgeon a space elf to death, then you're doing it horribly wrong.

If they can nail that sort of gameplay they'll have at least one entertaining faction.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 22, 2013

Fendahleen
May 21, 2003

WE KNOW THAT YOU CAN HEAR US, EARTH MEN
SPACE MARINES DON'T USE COVER THEY STAND ON A HILL OF THEIR OWN DEAD WAVING FLAGS AND FIRING IN ALL DIRECTIONS

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
What the hell, why can you only be Iron Warriors and Dark Angels? The grey ones, what boring loving choices those are. I don't care how bad the game is, if it let me play as a neon pink CSM covered in mouths I'd never play anything else.

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011

Fendahleen posted:

SPACE MARINES DON'T USE COVER THEY STAND ON A HILL OF THEIR OWN DEAD WAVING FLAGS AND FIRING IN ALL DIRECTIONS

MY FACE IS MY SHIELD.

Fjordson
Apr 6, 2007
I was wondering if you might swim to the chemist and get me something for my hallucinations.
I know hope is the first step on the road to disappointment, but I hope this game is at least as good as planet side 2.

interview with Miguel Caron for Goha.ru.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZoJi7LfmNY

Harabeck
Feb 9, 2012

Fjordson posted:

interview with Miguel Caron for Goha.ru.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZoJi7LfmNY

You can't fault the guy for lack of passion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Paul Barnett had lots of passion.

• Locked thread