Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

redbackground posted:

It would appear that Bullock is going to show up in some way, as well.

gently caress YES! Best cop in all of the GCPD!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

redbackground posted:

It would appear that Bullock is going to show up in some way, as well.

Hell yea, one of the characters that should of been in the game already.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Robin is in the game and there is 3 on 3 on 2 multiplayer as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRYHYJPhhxc

Not exactly excited. I think this could harm the single-player just to cater to those who kept whining about "no multiplayer".

Robin is in, despite Batman being newly into his career. I guess this is okay because multiplayer is a thing now.

Instead of the solid reviews from Asylum/City, I could see this game getting mediocre views just because of multiplayer being stuffed in to appease everyone.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

Not exactly excited. I think this could harm the single-player just to cater to those who kept whining about "no multiplayer".

Robin is in, despite Batman being newly into his career. I guess this is okay because multiplayer is a thing now.

Instead of the solid reviews from Asylum/City, I could see this game getting mediocre views just because of multiplayer being stuffed in to appease everyone.

I liked it when the guy shot Batman in the face twice with a shotgun to no effect. I just hope this poorly thought out bolt-on doesn't suck too many resources from the main game.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/31/multiplayer-comes-to-batman-arkham-origins

Looks like playing through the main story will unlock multiplayer-only items.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/07/31/be-or-beat-batman-in-arkham-origins-multiplayer-mode/

quote:

Despite holding a career-defining grudge against them, Batman has just gained a few bullets for the back of his game's box. Batman: Arkham Origins will ship with a competitive online multiplayer mode developed by Splash Damage, the studio behind Enemy Territory: Quake Wars and Brink.

So it sounds like no, it won't harm the single player. And come on, complaining about the continuity of including Robin in a multiplayer mode, really?
It sounds like it would be a lot of loving fun to me, and is almost exactly how I'd want an Arkham multiplayer mode to be.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
How many years before City does this take place? Nightwing was in City, so it makes sense for Dick to show up as a kid in this one, even if Batman is 'newish.'

Baby Broomer
Feb 19, 2013
According to Kotaku they are focusing just on Batman and Robin. Kinda disappointed in the lack of Batgirl or Nightwing, but then who are they gonna use for DLC GET FROM BEST BUY TODAY!!!!!

http://kotaku.com/its-thugs-vs-thugs-vs-batman-in-arkham-origins-3-te-968667871

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Baron von Eevl posted:

How many years before City does this take place? Nightwing was in City, so it makes sense for Dick to show up as a kid in this one, even if Batman is 'newish.'

The character model looked more like Dick than Tim to me, though it looks like he has the same moveset as Tim in AC.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

Actually, he was the only challange mode character not in the base game. He never stepped foot in Arkham City. I do kind of hope Robin makes another cameo since the model is already done rather than just have him "there" for challange and multiplayer similar to Nightwing.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

ThermoPhysical posted:

:stare:

Did they just loving bolt on a shooter-based multiplayer mode?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Chasiubao posted:

:stare:

Did they just loving bolt on a shooter-based multiplayer mode?

Well it's the brink devs...

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Multiplayer sounds like a fun idea, it just seems like the people who play the generic thugs are going to be pissed when everyone else gets to be Batman or the Joker.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

CharlestonJew posted:

Multiplayer sounds like a fun idea, it just seems like the people who play the generic thugs are going to be pissed when everyone else gets to be Batman or the Joker.

Read the article, it sounds awesome.

The thugs are the ones who get to be Bane or Joker once a match. The Bat-character is randomly chosen after every round as well.

They've done everything they can to promise people it won't make the main game worse. I think Mass Effect 3 and Assassin's Creed Brotherhood have shown you can add multiplayer to a game and not harm the single player, plus add a great experience that adds to the game's lifespan.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I can't imagine why the gently caress I would want to play the thugs instead of Batman.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

I can't imagine why the gently caress I would want to play the thugs instead of Batman.

I'm going to be the anonymous thug that takes down Batman and it will own.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Pumroy posted:

I'm going to be the anonymous thug that takes down Batman and it will own.

Didn't you ever see the episode of B:TAS where the happened? :colbert: You're gonna get killed by The Joker right afterwards.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Oh hey it's Spies vs. Mercs from Splinter Cell. Sure, why not?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Oh hey it's Spies vs. Mercs from Splinter Cell. Sure, why not?

Why not?

havenwaters posted:

Well it's the brink devs...

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

According to noted gaming journalism website Kotaku (:v:), the MP component is not coming to the Wii U.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Fine. You guys sold me on the multiplayer.

Still don't think it's needed but maybe it'll be ok. :colbert:

Primpod
Dec 25, 2007

jamming on crusty white

ImpAtom posted:

Thugs looks like they have a load of odd gadgets. Depends how fun they are to play with.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

ImpAtom posted:

I love the idea of a team deathmatch where there's this stealth vampire who you have to avoid while killing your opponents. I can't wait to have a bead on a thug and poo poo my pants when Batman strings me up from a gargoyle.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

TL posted:

I love the idea of a team deathmatch where there's this stealth vampire who you have to avoid while killing your opponents. I can't wait to have a bead on a thug and poo poo my pants when Batman strings me up from a gargoyle.

Exactly! What's not to love about that?
I hope they keep Disarm and Destroy in, I would totally just sneak up on a dude to destroy his weapon and grapple away.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

ImpAtom posted:

Didn't you ever see the episode of B:TAS where the happened? :colbert: You're gonna get killed by The Joker right afterwards.

Sid the Squid confirmed as DLC.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

ImpAtom posted:

You get gadgets of your own and a chance to be Joker/Bane, not a bad deal.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Definitely looks like a young Dick Grayson in the multiplayer. Sounds like fun! Hope I play it more than twice.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I whinged my head off about Assassins Creed adding multiplayer, and now I love that more than their glitchfest main game.

There's the occasional game where its clear that building a multiplayer mode took resources away from making a truly great single player campaign (the guys who did Spec Ops talked about that), but if its handled by a different studio I don't really see a problem.

And ever since Splinter Cell mucked up Spies vs Mercenaries I've been dying for a good stealth multiplayer experience.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You get gadgets of your own and a chance to be Joker/Bane, not a bad deal.

That's true. Maybe it'll work out better than I'm expecting. I guess it depends on how it plays.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
So I can't read the article at either Joystick or Kotaku, but 2 questions about the MP that might have been answered

1) Is it just a "one life" scenario for any of the teams (Batman gets killed once and that player has to sit and observe for the rest of the match) or will there be multiple respawns?

2) Is the win condition that all other teams are beaten/dead? Team bat wins when all thugs on both teams are defeated, the bad guys win when both the Bats and the other team are dead.

I can see where strategy as the bad guys will become very important.

I think it would be really cool to test yourself against someone with the Bat tech. Playing as Batman, the thugs seem exceedingly oblivious to what we are doing, but since we know how the bat plays, do you focus on shooting up gargoyles and looking through the grates, or do you and a buddy walk back to back? I'm sure there will be some classes that can jam Batman's Radar, making them high priority targets.

Also, as the bad guys, do you team up at the start to try and take out Batman, or is it every man for himself?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

ImpAtom posted:

That's true. Maybe it'll work out better than I'm expecting. I guess it depends on how it plays.

Well I'm really interested in it for a couple of reasons:

The Bane/Joker criminals are not just guys with guns. They are classified as "Elite Thugs" and have thematic gadgets of their own, probably similar to each other but reskinned. So Bane's guys have drones and mines, and Joker's guys have exploding presents and remote-controlled bomb balloons (this is in the preview text and briefly in the gameplay videos). There also appear to faction-specific gadgets - like Bane's guys get a gun that shoots through walls. The Elite Thugs even have some limited form of Detective Vision, which I find really weird and at cross-purposes with Batman's stealth but we'll see.

It's not like it's a game where it's God-King Batman preying on the helpless thugs, it seems like the Dynamic Duo have to get close and be stealthy or get killed. They're just another team on the map. I'm interested to see how the health mechanic works, if it's regenerating health or not and how much damage bullets will actually do; I want to know if it's an ultra-lethal style shooter like CoD or a bit more relaxed, allowing players to retreat and regroup if under fire.

I'm also a little concerned about the random assignment of Batman, I would like to be able to get three friends together and play the game as it's very hard to get more than a couple of my (full-time employed, often with kids) adult friends together for a gaming night. What I assume they will be doing is essentially playing a 4 vs. 4 match and then picking one Batman from one side and one Robin from another for the third team. So it would be nice to be able to vote a Batman in from your team so that my three buddies and I can stay together, rather than having one of us randomly plucked from the team. Speaking of which, if they do end up picking Batman and Robin from opposite teams, that's really fun. You'll essentially be forced to work with a random dude you were just fighting during the last round and that's got a sort of strange bedfellows vibe that I like.

Anyway I think it has a lot of potential, I really do like the setup a great deal. I know that these guys made Brink and that was pretty universally considered to be terrible (I never played it) but maybe they learned their lesson. You just never know with this stuff, the Ubisoft guys had never made a multiplayer game before Spies Vs. Mercs and it turned out great, so there is still hope.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Most matchmaking services let you do parties these days, to keep you on the same team. So I'm sure if it's just 3 of you they can keep you on the same team.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I love these games. I came to these games after they'd both been out for while, but they were still amazing and very well done. The scarcrow scenes in Asylum were unbelievable.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Hey interestingly enough I found some stuff from the designer regarding my concerns.

On everybody wanting to be The Batman:

quote:

This was of course a huge concern when we started the project, so one of our initial priorities was making sure that it's actually great fun to play as the Elites. We eventually had to add an option to opt-out of being a Hero in the next round (some sites have reported on this), so that people can keep playing as an Elite if they want!

On the XP system:

quote:

Everybody gets XP for loads of in-game actions, it's the win conditions that are different for the Gangs and the Heroes. The first person to get to the door and doesn't get taken out while opening it gets to become Joker or Bane, depending on which Gang they're in. It could always be the same person, but we always see a decent mix.

More as I can find it...

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

CzarChasm posted:

So I can't read the article at either Joystick or Kotaku, but 2 questions about the MP that might have been answered

1) Is it just a "one life" scenario for any of the teams (Batman gets killed once and that player has to sit and observe for the rest of the match) or will there be multiple respawns?

2) Is the win condition that all other teams are beaten/dead? Team bat wins when all thugs on both teams are defeated, the bad guys win when both the Bats and the other team are dead.

I can see where strategy as the bad guys will become very important.

I think it would be really cool to test yourself against someone with the Bat tech. Playing as Batman, the thugs seem exceedingly oblivious to what we are doing, but since we know how the bat plays, do you focus on shooting up gargoyles and looking through the grates, or do you and a buddy walk back to back? I'm sure there will be some classes that can jam Batman's Radar, making them high priority targets.

Also, as the bad guys, do you team up at the start to try and take out Batman, or is it every man for himself?

Articles mention mutliple batman deaths in a round and Batman and Robin get intimidation points from doing cool variations of take downs and massive bonuses for taking down head honchos like Bane.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Got some more info out of the developers:

Q: How does health work? Is it regenerating health or something different?
A: Health is regenerating for Elites and Heroes; Heroes start regenerating more quickly than Elites, and Elites regenerate health more quickly if they're in cover. Super-Villains do not regenerate health but start with high pools that must be worn down.

Q: How lethal are the bullets? Will a burst eliminate another player? Are the Thugs more resilient than the Heroes, or something else?
A: The Elites are very slightly more resilient than the Heroes, to make up for their comparative lack of movement. It of course depends on the weapon, but we wanted fairly high lethality in general to reflect the brutal nature of Gotham. Generally, you've got a moment to try to evade or reposition, but not much more than that. We very much didn't want players to seem like "bullet-sponges".

Q: Once Joker or Bane is slain, does the player respawn as a "normal" Elite Thug or are they out of the game until the end of the round?
A: They respawn as their Elite character provided that there are Reinforcements remaining.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

MrJacobs posted:

gently caress YES! Best cop in all of the GCPD!

Robert Costanzo - the voice actor for Bullock in Batman: The Animated Series - is still alive and kicking. I'd love it if they got him to reprise his role.

I've been tentatively anticipating Arkham Origins since it was first announced, and I'd been avoiding pretty much all media about it until yesterday. Seeing gameplay footage and hearing about some of the new features makes me more optimistic. Since I'm a big Batman fan, I'm happy with another Batman game even if it's Arkham City with a few new additions. So long as it improves upon the previous two games it'll definitely be worth a day one purchase.

As stoked as I am for a likely next gen Rocksteady Arkham game involving Scarecrow, part of me laments the dissolution of those early rumors about a game set in the Silver Age. I don't have any particular love for Silver Age Batman, and I love badass urban avenger Batman as much as everybody else, but Silver Age just seems like it would make for a really fun, colorful game. Think of all the goofy tongue-in-cheek gadgets or a boss fight against Crazy Quilt!

I know quite a few skins have been confirmed for Origins - Knightfall, Adam West Batsuit, Long Halloween, Dark Knight of the Round Table, Earth 2, etc., but I'd really love a Batman: Year 100 skin.

Also, I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but Christopher Drake is scoring this game. While I loved the work that Nick Arundel and Ron Fish did on Arkham City (even though the score they released was too short), Drake's work on the DC Animated features has been excellent. His score for The Dark Knight Returns was excellent. I can't wait to hear what he does for this game.

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011
Games up for pre purchase on Steam now. Also this video showcases the multiplayer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hL-wEr32dI
Looks fun as hell

Edit : damnit, taken down by Warner brothers. Showcased the three different factions. Gadgets that can be used. Bane and Joker as super villains controlled by gang members halfway through the match.

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

Kaizer88 posted:

Games up for pre purchase on Steam now. Also this video showcases the multiplayer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hL-wEr32dI
Looks fun as hell

Edit : damnit, taken down by Warner brothers. Showcased the three different factions. Gadgets that can be used. Bane and Joker as super villains controlled by gang members halfway through the match.

This video is still up. Multiplayer looks awful. I like how he repeatedly stuns people round the corner as Bane and gets a bunch of invincibility while he kills them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlocMvUlMmg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
It looks a bit better than I was expecting. Its what I expect to see if people don't know how to play.

• Locked thread