Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Uh, that looked like it had a lot of potential. Not bad at all. I noticed Bane doesn't get Detective Vision. That means he's a huge chump to getting choked out by the Dynamic Duo. Look like a good strategy will be to let Batman and Robin deal with the Crime Boss when he shows up, even if that means filling up their Intimidation Meter a bit more.

Also, big surprise - standing 10 feet away from Bane and shooting instead of putting distance between you and blasting the poo poo out of him = you're dead. Haven't these dudes read a comic book?

Edit: To emphasize how bad Joker's team was in that video - they could have literally seen Bane coming by using their vision to see through the walls and yet all of them marched down a narrow corridor and started shooting at him point blank, falling for the same trick that they just saw their teammate fall for. It's a brand-new beta and they clearly have no idea how to play the game.

Edit2: Here is a much better video with a much more even game and interesting stuff going on:

(Edit: As predicted, video was removed)

Watch what happens when Batman gets a hold on Bane in this one!

Edit3: Watch all the game tutorials here, before they take them down:

(Edit: As predicted, video was removed)

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MIMaIjN8FE

He... dies?

quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WJZbRhK1OU

It's kind of lame that you can move freely about as a thug with Thug Vision on. That pretty much renders all of Batman / Robin's abilities useless since you can see them anywhere, doesn't it?

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 8, 2013

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

raditts posted:

He... dies?

Yes, the point was that he sneaks up and grabs Bane but it's not an instant kill and gets shot by a Bane team member, so there's all sorts of interesting play going on.

raditts posted:

It's kind of lame that you can move freely about as a thug with Thug Vision on. That pretty much renders all of Batman / Robin's abilities useless since you can see them anywhere, doesn't it?

You can use it for about 5 seconds every 15 from what I've seen. It can also be scrambled.

Here's one more video, of a pretty excited guy playing the game. Warning: typical adolescent slurs and posturing contained herein:

(Edit: Video was removed)

Real Talk: Batman is loving ME UP right now.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 9, 2013

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
MP looks like a lot of fun, though it clearly needs some cleanup. I don't think you should be able to see a big white "Enemy" marker through walls (unless that's some Bane/Joker specific thing as they don't have thug vision presumably)

There was a part where the enemy's shadow could be seen on the outside of the short wall he was hiding behind, giving the opposing team an easy target.

Some of the animations seemed to take a while to register, especially with Bane's Ground pound. Some of this could have been lag, I imagine.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, the mooks having detective vision is pretty dumb. It seems like it makes it utterly trivial to spot the heroes.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

ImpAtom posted:

Man, the mooks having detective vision is pretty dumb. It seems like it makes it utterly trivial to spot the heroes.

Again, they don't have very much of it.

They've been working on this game for a while. I simply have to believe that the developers aren't dumb enough to give the thugs a tool that utterly trivializes Batman.

(cue joke about them making Brink here)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Again, they don't have very much of it.

They've been working on this game for a while. I simply have to believe that the developers aren't dumb enough to give the thugs a tool that utterly trivializes Batman.

(cue joke about them making Brink here)

Just based off the video it regenerates really fast. Maybe it'll be different in the final version but it seems kinda crappy to give them the ability to just check any time they go near a potential hiding spot for Batman or Robin. As they show in the video, you already can't take someone down if they circle around a corner or look down at you or whatever. Maybe it'll work out better than it looks but it seems kinda silly.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 8, 2013

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I think it's fine. It works better than Batman and Robin simply knocking out everyone in their path with ease.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
It looks like every other console multiplayer. I'll try it for an afternoon, have a little fun, come back after I've finished the single-player campaign and discover that the only people playing are max level and have all the maps memorized, making any further attempt to play it pointless.

Looks like it might be fun to watch, though.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

ImpAtom posted:

Just based off the video it regenerates really fast. Maybe it'll be different in the final version but it seems kinda crappy to give them the ability to just check any time they go near a potential hiding spot for Batman or Robin. As they show in the video, you already can't take someone down if they circle around a corner or look down at you or whatever. Maybe it'll work out better than it looks but it seems kinda silly.

I'm not trying to monopolize this thread or apologize for this game (I haven't played it) so I'll just make this my last post for a while:

Batman's stealth in a multiplayer game presents a very interesting design challenge: how to give Batman stealth but still make it "fair" for the Thugs. If the Thugs had no extrasensory perception of Batman, they would be essentially rolling a die every time they passed a hiding spot and if it came up on a one then their luck had run out: Batman would jump out and kill them. Very arbitrary-feeling to the Thug and not much fun. With X-Ray vision they can at least avoid the Batman if he's hanging out in one spot waiting for some poor sod to wander by.

Of course, a good Batman isn't going to do this, because he has total map and situation knowledge with unlimited Detective Vision and is going to sneak up on a Thug when he is otherwise occupied. Either that, or he'll follow the huge wailing siren that says "HEY BATMAN SOMEONE IS RELOADING AT THE AMMO BOX BATMAN YOU SHOULD GET HIM BATMAN" and do what Batman does. Which is choke a bitch.

As an aside, in Splinter Cell's Spies Vs. Mercs the Mercenaries had a vision mode that could see Spies through walls under certain conditions and the Spies did just fine. There are differences between the modes and the games but the point is that a limited form of extrasensory perception doesn't necessarily ruin the stealth for the sneaky guys. We'll see what happens.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm not trying to monopolize this thread or apologize for this game (I haven't played it) so I'll just make this my last post for a while:

Batman's stealth in a multiplayer game presents a very interesting design challenge: how to give Batman stealth but still make it "fair" for the Thugs. If the Thugs had no extrasensory perception of Batman, they would be essentially rolling a die every time they passed a hiding spot and if it came up on a one then their luck had run out: Batman would jump out and kill them. Very arbitrary-feeling to the Thug and not much fun. With X-Ray vision they can at least avoid the Batman if he's hanging out in one spot waiting for some poor sod to wander by.

Of course, a good Batman isn't going to do this, because he has total map and situation knowledge with unlimited Detective Vision and is going to sneak up on a Thug when he is otherwise occupied. Either that, or he'll follow the huge wailing siren that says "HEY BATMAN SOMEONE IS RELOADING AT THE AMMO BOX BATMAN YOU SHOULD GET HIM BATMAN" and do what Batman does. Which is choke a bitch.

As an aside, in Splinter Cell's Spies Vs. Mercs the Mercenaries had a vision mode that could see Spies through walls under certain conditions and the Spies did just fine. There are differences between the modes and the games but the point is that a limited form of extrasensory perception doesn't necessarily ruin the stealth for the sneaky guys. We'll see what happens.

I don't think it's monopolizing the thread to discuss the game in it!

I agree on some level that finding the right mechanic to make it feel fair to the thugs is important but I think that stealth being one of Batman's biggest advantages should be sort of the key. The heroes can't fight dead-on and lack a lot of the basic combat mechanics we see from the Thugs and especially the Supervillains, so they need to depend on their ability to swoop in unexpectedly. The way they have to fight really means they need to feel a little unfair because they're otherwise at a huge disadvantage.

The biggest concern I have is that they appear to be keeping the mechanics from the single player version which are designed around 'stupid' AI opponents who won't act like human players will. The thing I'm most worried about, honestly, is the takedown animations. They serve a purpose in a game with AI characters who respond in a sensible way. In a multiplayer game, all it takes is a guy shouting over voicechat that he's being choked and Batman gets riddled with holes in the middle of his lengthy animation. This obviously only works if people are sticking closer together but since they're not 'dumb' AI opponents it seems like that would be the most sensible thing to do, even with the multi-hit gadgets at play.

There do seem to be things which make it work more favorably (the scrambler can block detective vision for a bit so Batman can sneak up on an enemy but the enemy knows he is somewhere, just not where) so it isn't entirely worrying. I just think that stealth being a character's only advantage means it shouldn't be so easily broken.

I haven't played it either so maybe it'll pan out better once I do. I just worry that it's going to end up as a cool concept but badly executed.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

ImpAtom posted:

The biggest concern I have is that they appear to be keeping the mechanics from the single player version which are designed around 'stupid' AI opponents who won't act like human players will. The thing I'm most worried about, honestly, is the takedown animations. They serve a purpose in a game with AI characters who respond in a sensible way. In a multiplayer game, all it takes is a guy shouting over voicechat that he's being choked and Batman gets riddled with holes in the middle of his lengthy animation. This obviously only works if people are sticking closer together but since they're not 'dumb' AI opponents it seems like that would be the most sensible thing to do, even with the multi-hit gadgets at play.

Hopefully they'll let you do the takedown smash (the takedown where you can cancel your silent takedown into a much quicker and much louder takedown) in multiplayer.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Uh, that looked like it had a lot of potential. Not bad at all. I noticed Bane doesn't get Detective Vision. That means he's a huge chump to getting choked out by the Dynamic Duo. Look like a good strategy will be to let Batman and Robin deal with the Crime Boss when he shows up, even if that means filling up their Intimidation Meter a bit more.

Also, big surprise - standing 10 feet away from Bane and shooting instead of putting distance between you and blasting the poo poo out of him = you're dead. Haven't these dudes read a comic book?

Edit: To emphasize how bad Joker's team was in that video - they could have literally seen Bane coming by using their vision to see through the walls and yet all of them marched down a narrow corridor and started shooting at him point blank, falling for the same trick that they just saw their teammate fall for. It's a brand-new beta and they clearly have no idea how to play the game.

Edit2: Here is a much better video with a much more even game and interesting stuff going on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MIMaIjN8FE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WJZbRhK1OU

I was interested in this until I watched those videos.

Heroes being mostly worthless and underpowered? This is not a surprise, so much for that.

Bane's Gang having WAY better poo poo (a loving drone that fires rocket launchers and Bane has an infinite ammo bazooka? What.) meaning they will probably usually win.

All in all, it'll just devolve into 2 games with janky and bad TPS gameplay with some crappy wildcard Heroes that will probably rarely ever win. Shame.

quote:

Megaman's Jockstrap wrote on Aug 8, 2013 17:52:

Congratulations. You did it, Fuzz. You managed to identify everything wrong with the game from 15 minutes of Day 1 fumbling Beta tester footage. You're smarter than everyone on the development team, why can't they see Bane's side will always win as you clearly can from watching some tutorial videos and 15 minutes of matches? Somebody hire this guy, he's a freakin' savant.

EDIT: Oh man, someone is pissed. But not pissed enough to say so in public. Shame.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 8, 2013

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

I just want it so that playing as a goon turns the game into survival horror

edit: What I'm saying is that whether or not goons have detective vision changes the game from "Is he up there? Nope, he's not. Whew!"
to "Is he up there? I can't tell, maybe I should look from a different- OH GOD HE'S BEHIND ME :gonk:"

cuntman.net fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Aug 9, 2013

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

After playing the MP pretty much all night with about 20 or so matches under my belt at this point, yeah... my previous complaint kinda still holds true. The worst was one round where the Banes managed to get Bane spawned, then spent the rest of the map camping one end of the map, Bane covering the other two guys while they flew drones everywhere (since they have no range or time limit) and just covered everything in missiles. I was on the Joker side and our reinforcements vanished so quickly that we didn't even have a chance. The problem is that the main counter to drones is to hope that Batman or Robin takes them out with a batarang, but in practice they weren't doing that and even they were getting blown up immediately whenever they got near that central area. Batman tried to attack them directly once, and the two mooks alternated spamming that sonic blaster thing which has NO FF on it, and then there was always Bane and his retardo rocket launcher and ground pounding to protect them, as well.

The shooting mechanics are loving terrible. They're just really boring and bad. The core problem to the whole setup is that the gangs aren't very fun to play but the majority of players will be playing as them, meanwhile B&R are fun as poo poo to play as and really rewarding, but the odds are stacked against them and in all the rounds I played they only won once, and that was because of a combination of over half the gang people being literally level 1 first match people and the guy playing Batman being level 85 or something and knowing the map insanely well, which is nuts.

The radar mode that thugs get is broken as gently caress and needs to either be really nerfed down or changed so you have to choose to carry it as a subweapon or something, because playing as Batman is hard as gently caress when they can see you literally all the time with very little downtime.

In the 20 or so games I played, B&R only won once and I only saw the Joker showup twice. Conversely, I saw Bane showup in about 80% of the matches, and his rocket launcher is complete and utter bullshit and has a stupidly huge splash radius that will instantly kill anyone, even Batman. That is one of the more broken things in MP, along with the fact that he can run faster and for longer than regular mooks, so he's actually the most mobile character in the game and has the largest splash radius, most damaging weapon. Oh, and he also has the most armor. Yeah, that's balanced... :psyduck:

As B&R your only real way to do well is to rely heavily on explosive gel and traps, actually stalking and using takedowns on guys is so risky and the TTK is so short that it's completely counterproductive and stupid to try to actually be like Batman. I lost count of how many times I'd see either of them get gunned down in a grate because the mooks were standing just outside of takedown prompt range, but still had a perfect angle to shoot them in the face. The lack of any ability to actually spray explosives or even throw a smoke bomb while you're in a vent became downright frustrating, and honestly in the 5 or so times I got to play as Batman or Robin I ended up totally avoiding them because they're a deathtrap. Also Robin's shield is mostly worthless, but smoke bombs are hilariously powerful when mooks don't know that they just have to pick a direction and run 10 feet and they'll be fine. The sonic batarang is probably the most powerful tool B&R have, and only Batman gets it, but even then if the mooks know what to look for, they can escape it really easily because it takes a full 2 seconds to arm once it hits the ground, and most of the good players will immediately sprint away when they see a batarang hit the ground/wall and the blast radius is pretty short.

Overall it's a great idea for an MP mode with currently terrible execution. It has SO much potential but yeah... it also doesn't help that the matchmaking is utter poo poo, though I'd hope that will improve but my experience with other console betas over the years has me wondering. I also feel like they probably won't get/take much feedback on the horrible balance until release and people that paid money cry and moan about it, but who knows... these sorts of betas can go any direction, entirely depends on the company/publisher. There's so much potential to have cool DLC stuff other than just more maps, like adding in other gangs like Penguin's Gang or stuff like that, so maybe they'd have their own toys to play with and be a little different. There's also a HUGE potential to add in alternative Heroes like Nightwing or Catwoman, but we'll see if they capitalize on that... as it stands now, it's a fun idea to toy around with but is ultimately way more frustrating and imbalanced than it is fun.

On the plus side, the customization options for your mook are pretty robust, and I managed to make a Joker that looks like the lead singer of Prodigy circa 1999. Pretty hilarious.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I got to play this at a friend's house after some wheedling, as I was very excited about this play mode. Well that's been somewhat deflated. Fuzz is mostly right, although I think there's a few caveats here:

The first problem is that Bane and Joker are just plain too good. I can see why he felt Bane was a problem when 80% of the time it was Bane that was coming out in his games. My experience was a little more even and Joker is just as bad. They can literally see their enemies through walls all the time - they get a little "Enemy" carat above every member of the opposing team. They don't get X-Ray Vision but it doesn't matter because they have total knowledge of the rival gang's positions and can just blast them with a rocket launcher (Bane) or shoot them with a railgun (Joker, it's a revolver but it's a one shot kill basically). Once these guys are on the field you're a total chump regardless of who you playing as. God forbid they coordinate with their buddies and Batman isn't interested in neutralizing them - matches basically become one-sided slaughters. They need to at least take away the Boss's magic enemy detection HUD, because there's no way to surprise or ambush them and they are very easily able to just smash down everyone with impunity.

The Thug X-Ray Vision is basically everything everyone was worried about. There's too much of it, it lasts too long, and it ruins Batman and Robin. 'Nuff said.

I actually like drones in MP games if handled well but both the Explosive Blimp and the UAV are, quite simply, too good. The primary problem is that they move too fast and are too maneuverable, the secondary problem is that they are too tough. They need to have a maximum radius of operation (seriously, I can't believe this isn't in the game), be fragile, be LOUD, and be slower so that they can't literally run you down and kill you from across the level.

Being Batman is frustrating. If one of the Dynamic Duo is bad then the team has lost. It's a real shame to try to be a good Robin and watch your hard-earned Intimidation be squandered by a bad Batman who faceplants over and over as he tries for naked Glide Kicks in a room with 4 or more Thugs. By the way, the general skill level of the Batman/Robin players is abysmal - I mean just godawful, even for a new beta. In game after game I watched as Batman literally jumped out of a vent and go for a takedown in a room with 3 thugs and predictably get shot every. single. time. Then would do it again. They will get sniped off of gargoyles, fail to move from a position once detected, and generally do the stupidist loving poo poo. They are nothing more than an annoyance and are never seriously a contender for winning the game, ever. The worst is when one of the Gang Teams is getting absolutely dogpiled by their enemies and rather than try to even out the game to buy more time to win by playing kingmaker and going after the winning gang, B&R start beating up on the losing gang, which of course ends the game even quicker with a B&R loss.

As for gameplay fundamentals, shooting is stiff and doesn't feel very good. The weapons feel insubstantial. They need to work on this, badly. Being a Thug COULD be fun if the shooting were improved. Right now it's just kind of bleh.

The Joker Gang customization is the coolest. You can make crazy clown psychos in pretty much any configuration you want - if you saw a male Joker gang member in a Batman game or comic, you can probably recreate him. Bane's Gang is a shabby, dull joke by comparison; you basically have to make boring flak-vested variations on military guys in black and green. Hmmm lemme see, crazy awesome customizable clown psychos or boring Call of Duty extras, who do I want to play as? I'm going to second the suggestion to add in Penguin's Gang or Riddler's Gang or whatever, it would be rad.

Overall I would rate this 5/10. If it were a standalone product I would not bother. To be fair, the lead designer has posted that they are tracking everything and have already made adjustments, but we'll see. There are some real problems with this mode that need to be addressed. Here's hoping.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Pretty much.

See? This ain't my first dog and pony show, a lot of this seemed evident just from the design and gameplay vids because when you've played enough games you can tell what will be abused and overpowered and what will probably suck. Certain tropes (like non-invisible stealth) in MP games will always be bad (unless special effort is given to balance them), and others (AoE one hit kills, especially that can hit at range) will always be good and easy for any retard to use. The fact that they accounted for none of this kinda demonstrates just how little the MP team knows about multiplayer game design. :smith:

In the future, I'd hope maybe you don't flip out and personally attack someone in a PM for voicing an educated opinion that disagrees with yours. Sometimes you really can tell a game/mode is bad based purely on a few gameplay videos.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
Not sure if I like the 3rd person view for the gang members. It would have been more balanced if their view was first person, and they had to at least peak their head around a corner to see, rather then just adjusting their view. Would have given really sweet view points of take downs. Batman strings you up and you view flips over too. Then your vision fades out as you pass out. Maybe have an option to try to hold out to be woken up. From the game play I saw it looked way too hard to be batman and robin. It looked like they did more annoying then being threatening.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Shnag posted:

Not sure if I like the 3rd person view for the gang members. It would have been more balanced if their view was first person, and they had to at least peak their head around a corner to see, rather then just adjusting their view. Would have given really sweet view points of take downs. Batman strings you up and you view flips over too. Then your vision fades out as you pass out. Maybe have an option to try to hold out to be woken up. From the game play I saw it looked way too hard to be batman and robin. It looked like they did more annoying then being threatening.

That would only work if the whole game was like that. It would be way too jarring otherwise.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
Switching from 3rd to first person in Splinter Cells spies vs mercs worked well. Can't see why it wouldn't work in this case.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

But then it can't be a cover shooter! Mercs don't actually need to take cover in SvM so first person works. This game is built around being a cover shooter. A sort of stiff, weird-feeling third person cover shooter.

I've played a little more btw trying to get a handle on why this doesn't quite come together (also my friend didn't want to play it anymore, a really bad sign). The problem isn't the third person view. The problem is that there's too much X-Ray Vision for the Thugs (and wallhacking for the Bosses) and Batman has a gigantic skill curve that people are unable to climb. When you actually get a semi-decent Batman and Robin in your game the entire thing changes around and becomes a lot more enjoyable. I think a lot of the problems with this game are happening because the developers know intrinsically how Batman should be played and how to use the map, but the general public has had no guidance beyond a lovely 2 minute tutorial video explaining Batman's gadgets. Batman players have no idea what they should be doing and so attempt to barge in and treat other players like AI bots. They play a terrible game and totally abdicate their ability to effect the other team's gameplan which unbalances the whole enterprise. Thugs run buck wild all over the map and Bosses kill 9+ members of the opposing team with their one-hit-kill weapons/wallhacks and drones and remote bomb blimps start flying around with impunity. It becomes kind of a crummy experience.

Even if they fix these balancing problems, the core experience of shooting remains mediocre and you're going to be doing a lot of that. That's what really worries me beyond blimp sounds and X-Ray Vision which is relatively easy to adjust. If they want people to enjoy being the Thugs, they need to make them less awkward and more fun to play, and they really need to punch up the shooting mechanics a bit more.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hopefully it's just the multiplayer that's bad. I'm a lot less hyped for the game now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Hopefully it's just the multiplayer that's bad. I'm a lot less hyped for the game now.

The multiplayer is being made by an entirely different studio.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

ImpAtom posted:

The multiplayer is being made by an entirely different studio.

Haha, so's the singleplayer.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

No, the single player has been made by the same guys since the games announcement while Rocksteady works on the next-gen version.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

MrJacobs posted:

No, the single player has been made by the same guys since the games announcement while Rocksteady works on the next-gen version.

That's what I mean. It's pretty absurd to address the multiplayer's issues with 'it's being made by a different team' when the only thing of note that Warner Bros. Montreal have done within the series - or indeed at all - is ported Arkham City to the Wii U.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

Yes, the single player isn't being made by Rocksteady but the multiplayer is being made by yet another studio who has a proven track record of being pretty bad. The fact that it is bad does not mean the single player is going to be as well because it isn't the same team working on it.

Rocksteady made exactly one game before Arkham Asylum and it wasn't exactly a game that made people expect them to redefine good licensed game, so I'm not exactly willing to jump on "different studio = instantly sucks" bandwagon without information backing it up.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 14, 2013

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Fair enough, I'm not saying Warner Bros. Montreal are Splash Damage, but still.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Despite who's making what, I still don't know if I'm as excited for the game as I once was. Even if I won't play the multiplayer (which I won't), any bad news for this game is going to make things kind of iffy for those who were already on the fence about it.

I trust Rocksteady, I don't exactly trust WB Montreal when they already made the decision to go with such mediocre multiplayer in the first place.

Sure, the multiplayer may not be by the same company, but it still takes space on the disc for something that could be a lot better and it was still approved by WB to be put in the game. I don't know about others, but I'm not going to just let this slide and I'll be keeping a closer eye on development for the game as a whole if they think it's cool to just give something like this..

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Despite who's making what, I still don't know if I'm as excited for the game as I once was. Even if I won't play the multiplayer (which I won't), any bad news for this game is going to make things kind of iffy for those who were already on the fence about it.

I trust Rocksteady, I don't exactly trust WB Montreal when they already made the decision to go with such mediocre multiplayer in the first place.

Sure, the multiplayer may not be by the same company, but it still takes space on the disc for something that could be a lot better and it was still approved by WB to be put in the game. I don't know about others, but I'm not going to just let this slide and I'll be keeping a closer eye on development for the game as a whole if they think it's cool to just give something like this..

WB Montreal probably didn't make the decision. "This game has to have multiplayer" is something usually mandated from someone higher up and not something the actual development team has control over. That is why even Spec Ops: The Line had shoehorned-in multiplayer which the team quite literally told people not to play and that they considered a tumor attached to their game. It sucks that it is attached but it is pretty unlikely that it was something they decided on their own.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

ThermoPhysical posted:

Three weeks ago we didn't even know there was multiplayer, so roll your hype levels back to pre-multiplayer announcement status.

In fact, I want to make something clear: the multiplayer isn't bad, per say. I mean it's not like you're just constantly thinking "this is bad" while you are playing it. It just has a too much bullshit in it and doesn't do anything particularly well. Right now there's virtually no reason for it to exist at all. If you want to play third person cover shooters, there are better games. If you want a balanced teamplay experience, there are better games. If you want to play a tuned-up stealth vs. no-stealth game there's a (well-reviewed) one coming out next Tuesday.

I like the Arkham games. I wanted to like being a gang member. There's lots of voice acting and atmosphere. The customization for Joker gang is good (Bane sucks). You feel like you're in the Arkham world. Then you get one-shotted by Joker from across the room and feel like an idiot. Or a goofy little remote-controlled dirigible sneaks up on you and detonates, killing you instantly. Or you get rocketed by a UAV. Or your teammate gets to be Bane and stomp around the map owning the joint while you sort of help. None of that is very fun. I don't demand that I constantly be a star player in a game but at the same time I don't want to feel like a punching bag or like I'm playing through a series of ambushes. That's demoralizing. At the same time, when I've been the Boss character it was pretty stupid powerful and I felt bad for the other team as they got chumped out. Hard not to feel sympathy for the other team when you earn a 10 killstreak just because your guy can one-shot everyone.

Likewise, I wanted to enjoy being Batman but I really haven't. The first hindrance to enjoying being the Dynamic Duo is that one member of the team can completely gently caress over the other. I'm no great shakes at Batman but my teammates have been even worse. I don't want to rage about "pubbies" but it's hard not to feel frustrated when your teammate squanders every bit of Intimidation that you earned by getting killed in embarrassingly obvious ways. Secondly, trying to be sneaky doesn't work at all. Between the six gang members, one of the Thugs will ALWAYS have their X-Ray Vision on and they will ALWAYS see you because it lasts an inappropriately long time - as a Thug you can turn on X-Ray vision, do a complete 360-degree turn scanning both the horizontal and the vertical and then turn it off and you'll have it back in about 15 seconds. That sort of duration isn't a flashlight and it isn't a check against randomly getting killed by Batman - it's a stealth-destroying portable Panopticon and it sucks. So as Batman, I've found the best way to play is just ambushing lone thugs over and over, just cruise around the map with Detective Vision on and look for lone distracted target who are getting ammo or running their drones or running up to a control point after respawn or whatever and then taking them out. And it's not very Batmanny, let me tell you. It's more like Ambush Bug.

Anyway I feel like I'm just reiterating what I said earlier, so I'll just wrap it up at this point. I'll just restate that this is a beta, it might be better on release, but my own personal feeling is that this is just too rough to pay for. Think of multiplayer as a bonus but don't buy the game for it.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
Just look forward to the next-gen Batman Beyond game they'll announce at the next Comic-Con guys. Imagine the next-genniness of it. Mmmm.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
e: ^^^^^^ Man don't play with my emotions like that, Batman Beyond would be amazing

I'm going to be cautiosly optimistic about the multiplayer being added and pray really hard it's not going to have any sort of multiplayer achievments tied with it. I've worked hard to have 1000 gamerscore in both Arkham games and I did that poo poo alone.

Being Batman is all about being depressed as gently caress about your parents and working through it alone while the entire world is out to kill you :argh:

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Skychrono posted:

Just look forward to the next-gen Batman Beyond game they'll announce at the next Comic-Con guys. Imagine the next-genniness of it. Mmmm.

It would be a 3DS exclusive and be side scrolling spiritual-sequel to Brave and the Bold beat em up if that ever happened.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Honestly, making the thug gameplay be FPS would actually be perfect. You'd have a narrower view and not be able to scout nearly as easily, and I can just imagine the fun of playing as Batman and sneaking up behind someone and waiting for them to turn around just in time to see the mask fleetingly before you beat the poo poo out of them. That'd be great. :allears:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Didn't see this posted yet, but it looks like the Batcave and its function in the game was confirmed in a recent gaming magazine article. This video contains some screens from the article and some information on the Batcave and the Alfred/Batman relationship we'll see in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6_NTszO85s

I was really cautiously optimistic about this game when it was first announced, but as I see more and more media about it it's looking like a definite pre-order for me.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Skychrono posted:

This is the only thing I want more than a competently-designed Arkham multiplayer.

Zsinjeh posted:

e: ^^^^^^ Man don't play with my emotions like that, Batman Beyond would be amazing

I'm going to be cautiosly optimistic about the multiplayer being added and pray really hard it's not going to have any sort of multiplayer achievments tied with it. I've worked hard to have 1000 gamerscore in both Arkham games and I did that poo poo alone.

Being Batman is all about being depressed as gently caress about your parents and working through it alone while the entire world is out to kill you :argh:

Well I don't want to be Batman, I want to be The Goddamn Batman. Bustin' criminal skulls and giving no fucks, and walking away self-righteously because I didn't technically murder them.

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011
http://uk.gamespot.com/news/batman-arkham-origins-ditches-gfwl-for-steam-on-pc-6413149

Yesssss, burn in the fires of hell stupid GFWL.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
THANK GOD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azraden
Oct 26, 2010

Ooh - a crevice

I wonder how much of this was them realizing GFWL was crap or if they were just forced into it since GFWL is closing next year.

• Locked thread