Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I really like the crime scene reconstruction from that E3 walkthrough. I know in practice it really just turns into the old 'find the right spots to scan with detective mode' gimmick, but watching things play out and being able to rewind and fast forward to look for points of interest made that helicopter sequence a lot more fun than, for example, 'follow the red line to find Deadshot's sniper perch' in Arkham City.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Quick question for anybody who got it digitally on PSN: 1) can you preload it, and 2) is it going to unlock at midnight?

I unexpectedly got tomorrow off so I'm wondering whether I should do a last-minute buy and get a head start on enjoying the game.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I think this might be my favorite Arkham game. It's balls-hard in places (not being able to cancel into counters makes the fights a lot more difficult for me than they used to be), which I like, and the story is simple and well-executed enough to give it more impact than Arkham City's constant "now things are even more serious than before!" twists. Like, to provide sort of a frame of reference, the shootout on top of the hotel, with helicopters and bombs and Bane with a rocket launcher as everything burned, or the entire final level for that matter, had much more of a 'holy poo poo, this has escalated so far' feel to them than helicopters roaming around and literally blowing up Arkham City did. (major spoilers here) I was disappointed at first when the Joker hijacked the plot again, but they did such a good job with it that I did a complete 180. It's weird, his segments have everything I dislike about Joker stories: insane sky-high body counts, 'why don't you kill me Batman' conversations, and moments where everything everyone does is somehow feeding into his big retarded supervillain plan...and yet I really enjoyed them. Go figure, I guess.

I also liked the boss encounters a lot. Do you guys remember when Arkham Asylum came out and it was amazing and felt like it did everything right, except the boss fights? Seriously, they were awful. With the exception of maybe Poison Ivy they were pretty universally bad, just an unoriginal, lazily-designed slog in the middle of an otherwise-pretty-great game. Playing through fights like Deathstroke, Firefly, and the final boss (man that was tense), I was amazed at how far the series has come in three games. The large-scale melees are better, too; there's a sequence towards the end where you fight like 30 guys and it is glorious.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
One complaint I did have about the game was that, although I didn't run into any of the really game-breaking glitches or bugs people are reporting, there were points where the framerate absolutely chugged. Any time a new area loaded and there was a lot going on (like a cutscene, or when I dropped out of fast travel), it would slow down to a crawl and skip a ton of frames. For example, every time I used fast travel, it'd get a half-second into the "Batman fires his grappling hook and grabs the plane", freeze (although the sound would continue), and then play the rest of the cutscene several seconds later, without sound (because that had already played). I was playing on PS3, if that helps.

CharlestonJew posted:

If you stick around after you beat Anarky he'll start rambling about how he doesn't see people like Penguin or Sionis as the problem, just the byproduct of our society. I mean, he's kinda right, but you'd think putting that energy into going after them would do some good in the city instead of just going "yeah those murderous thugs are no big deal, it's Bruce Wayne that's the real problem!" :argh: He also goes from "Let me join forces with you Batman!" to "gently caress you Batman you're an rear end in a top hat" in the span of about 10 seconds so he's not all that right in the head.

It is hilarious how long that monologue goes on. I didn't time it or anything because I was loving rolling but I seriously think he talks for two minutes straight while Batman stands there all "what is going on with this guy". Some good attention to canon there, since Anarky's entire gimmick can be boiled down to:

1) Cartoon anarchist
2) Might be Joker's kid? They're never really sure
3) Most importantly, never ever shuts up, ever

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Full Battle Rattle posted:

How do I use the alt costumes? is it like city where you have to beat it? There was at least a code you could put in in city to allow you to select them all from the beginning.

If you head forward and to the right after going to the Batcave, right before the first set of stairs there's a switch to open the Batsuit chamber, and you can change outfits there.

Quick related question: I completed r15 of World's Greatest Detective and it says I unlocked something. What'd I get? I thought at first it might be a suit, but there's nothing new in the suit chamber.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I beat the game, have finished all but one of the Most Wanted cases (the final one) and all the character profiles except the one in the top right are unlocked. That one locked profile is driving me crazy, I have to find it. :psyduck:

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Post credit spoilers: Good lord if Rocksteady's sequel doesn't feature prominent Suicide Squad play I'll be a little disappointed. Man that one cutscene got me hyped for this series even more.

I never really knew how much I wanted Deathstroke: The Game before that cutscene. Plus whoever else comes along for the ride. Hell, put Harley Quinn in it, it's not like she's doing anything important post-Arkham City.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I just realized something (it's minor, but spoiled just to be safe). At the end of the Deathstroke fight, the reason Batman lands the KO is because Slade expected the sword to be thrown at him, instead of nonlethally thrown beside him, because that's what he'd do if their positions were reversed. And so he's distracted.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

poptart_fairy posted:

Wait, what the hell, Electricutioner's 24?

Not anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Speaking of Joker, how do you goons feel about Endgame?

I feel like it might be the dumbest thing involving the Joker that I have ever seen in my entire life, and I have played Arkham City and read Death of the Family

• Locked thread