Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Oh my God. I love it there!

Also this is the coolest thing no one knows about :

http://www.businessinsider.com/ios-7-panoramic-wallpaper-2013-6

The hidden feature everyone knows about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Oh my God. I love it there!

Also this is the coolest thing no one knows about :

http://www.businessinsider.com/ios-7-panoramic-wallpaper-2013-6

It was literally posted on the same page.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's FaceTime but only audio; pretty self-explanatory, I think. Use your data instead of minutes.

So basically VoIP?

All this new stuff is pretty neat, and I cannot wait to try it out (when it goes gold). The pano background feels like a total geeks-in-the-backroom apple innovation that wouldn't of been spurred if kept to the rigid design dogma.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 13, 2013

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

It's FaceTime but only audio; pretty self-explanatory, I think. Use your data instead of minutes.

I really, really enjoyed how they cut to a guy in a Skype shirt in the Keynote video right after Facetime Audio was announced. His face is half deer in the headlights, half grimace.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

randyest posted:

Really? The one on the right looks even more obviously in shift mode to me. Weird.

Are you comparing it to the white background of the alphabetical keys? When shift is un-selected it's the same colour as the numbers/backspace/return keys in that screenshot, and there's not a lot of difference between the two shades of grey.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

incoherent posted:

So basically VoIP?
The biggest advantage of FaceTime is that it's always there and they're always logged in.

Being able to do the same for voice calls is going to be huge for anyone that's had to do the "log in to Skype and I'll call you back! ... No you're still not in... No I don't know your password" international call with their relatives.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I really hate that when I go to shift slide to a period it shoots up the control center. Also they changed the direction you swipe in mail and my muscle memory fucks it up every single time. At least what I'm working on isn't horribly broken... yet.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

frumpsnake posted:

Being able to do the same for voice calls is going to be huge for anyone that's had to do the "log in to Skype and I'll call you back! ... No you're still not in... No I don't know your password" international call with their relatives.
Too bad my relatives don't have iPhones.

James Polk
Jun 18, 2010

I was born in a farmhouse in Pineville, North Carolina
Be aware guys, iOS 7 doesn't appear to do automatic iCloud backups. I had my phone plugged in and on wifi last night, but it didn't back up.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

James Polk posted:

Be aware guys, iOS 7 doesn't appear to do automatic iCloud backups. I had my phone plugged in and on wifi last night, but it didn't back up.

Mine did. But it picked a really odd time to do it.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

smackfu posted:

Too bad my relatives don't have iPhones.

All of my family is rocking iOS devices, it's pretty rad. Really happy with Voice Time myself.

Also, I got a replacement iPhone 5 the other day and for some reason Apple won't accept my new UDID (I'm a developer). I'm now stuck at the iOS7 setup screen. :haw:

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

awesome-express posted:

now stuck at the iOS7 setup screen. :haw:
It's the only thing that works correctly right now anyway.

Hopefully beta updates are biweekly.

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

• Please do not come here complaining about what poo poo is broken; file a bug report. If you don't know how to file a bug report, DFU restore back to iOS 6.1.4.
I'm seeing a lot of people who've been able to successfully downgrade, but my CDMA iPhone 5 cannot DFU restore to 6.1.4 after upgrading, either with a downloaded ipsw or when iTunes tries to find it automatically. "This device isn't eligible for the requested build." What's weird is that I'm not really seeing other reports of this. (And since I don't jailbreak I don't have any shsh blobs.)

Anyone else experiencing this?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Sent from my iPad posted:

I'm seeing a lot of people who've been able to successfully downgrade, but my CDMA iPhone 5 cannot DFU restore to 6.1.4 after upgrading, either with a downloaded ipsw or when iTunes tries to find it automatically. "This device isn't eligible for the requested build." What's weird is that I'm not really seeing other reports of this. (And since I don't jailbreak I don't have any shsh blobs.)

Are you sure it's in DFU?

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

I restored mine from iOS7 to 6.1.4 no problem. It initially gave me an error through Xcode's device organizer, but restoring it through iTunes for the second time seemed to work. Still confused as to why it won't accept my phone, especially since I added the new UDID to the provisioning portal :I

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
So with the new iOS activation lock, whats stopping someone from installing an older version of iOS on a device in order to bypass the activation lock stuff (since activation lock will be iOS 7 only?) Or even jailbreak the device to get around it.

I guess if anyone updated the device to iOS 7 at a later time it'd gently caress them over, yeah?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

FlashBangBob posted:

So with the new iOS activation lock, whats stopping someone from installing an older version of iOS on a device in order to bypass the activation lock stuff (since activation lock will be iOS 7 only?) Or even jailbreak the device to get around it.

I guess if anyone updated the device to iOS 7 at a later time it'd gently caress them over, yeah?
You can't downgrade OS on an iDevice.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

If I'm understanding your comment correctly.

iTunes doesn't activate older iOSes, it's why when a jailbreak comes out you need to get in the window to update your iOS or you're going to be stuck. So someone on iOS5 right now can't update to anything but the most current iOS because Apple won't verify the older installs and there's no other way to get iOS on the phone.

The Dave fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 13, 2013

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Make sure you're actually entering DFU mode and not just recovery mode.

In DFU mode, the screen will be completely black and the device will look like it's off. The only way you'll know you're in the mode is iTunes saying it detected an iPhone in recovery mode.

If you're seeing a 'connect to itunes' picture on the device then you're not in DFU mode.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Seconding making sure it is actually in DFU.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

awesome-express posted:

I restored mine from iOS7 to 6.1.4 no problem. It initially gave me an error through Xcode's device organizer, but restoring it through iTunes for the second time seemed to work. Still confused as to why it won't accept my phone, especially since I added the new UDID to the provisioning portal :I

The activation servers don't seem to be constantly in sync. I'd wait like an hour or so and try again.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I hope web/wiki search functionality returns to spotlight search. I actually used both of those a lot.

Edit: also Facebook posting from notification center

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 13, 2013

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Ok so I finally managed to get my UDID to work (have multiple dev accounts, stuff got messed up). And oh dear, iOS7 looks terrible. The typography is also really hard on the eyes, and everything just feels ... disjointed.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
Today's bugbears:

HTML <title> elements do not show in the titlebar in Safari any more, just the web address.

The keyboard that appears during URL entry in Safari does not have a . or a / easily accessible, as it was in iOS6. It has a space, though! Because that's useful.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

GazChap posted:

Today's bugbears:

HTML <title> elements do not show in the titlebar in Safari any more, just the web address.

The keyboard that appears during URL entry in Safari does not have a . or a / easily accessible, as it was in iOS6. It has a space, though! Because that's useful.

The space button is there because they combined the URL and search bar together.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

GazChap posted:

Today's bugbears:

The keyboard has all characters in their capital form. I really liked that nifty feature in iOS6 where you press the shift key, and the characters on the keyboard adjusted accordingly. Now it's just Helvetica Neue Ultralight in caps.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

awesome-express posted:

The keyboard has all characters in their capital form. I really liked that nifty feature in iOS6 where you press the shift key, and the characters on the keyboard adjusted accordingly. Now it's just Helvetica Neue Ultralight in caps.

I think that was a jailbreak tweak not a feature,

Unless I'm misinterpreting what you're saying

Slap Happy
Apr 14, 2006

awesome-express posted:

Ok so I finally managed to get my UDID to work (have multiple dev accounts, stuff got messed up). And oh dear, iOS7 looks terrible. The typography is also really hard on the eyes, and everything just feels ... disjointed.

After 24 hours the animations and stuff have grown on me slightly.

I never got over how bad parallax & folder colors looked though, so I gave the phone a solid black background which improves it a bit. The OS is definitely *not* good at determining good colors from your background. I tried like ten wallpapers and they all made the color scheme puke-colored.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

awesome-express posted:

It doesn't though

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

It doesn't though

Unless there's a setting I'm missing, this is what it looks like for me:

Shift key is not pressed

Shift key is pressed

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

awesome-express posted:

Shift key is not pressed

Shift key is pressed

What both 101 and Dr. Video Games 0050 mean is that this iOS 6 feature you're talking about doesn't exist . It would probably be great though.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

awesome-express posted:

Shift key is not pressed

Shift key is pressed

He's talking about this:

quote:

I really liked that nifty feature in iOS6 where you press the shift key, and the characters on the keyboard adjusted accordingly.
This was a jailbreak-only tweak, not an iOS feature.

So far, the only thing that bugs me about iOS7 is how the control center comes up when you try to do the symbol swipe gesture on the keyboard. Also, is it weird that the new signal dots are growing on me? :ohdear:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
They're saying (and I'm agreeing, to the best of my knowledge) that the keyboard NEVER showed different cases with shift key. That's a Jailbreak tweak. One that wouldn't need to exist if iOS did it already. Which it didn't.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Seen the parallax effect demonstrated in a video. From the WWDC presentation, I had the impression that it would only nudge the wallpaper around, turns out it's a 360° panorama. Either way, I have a live wallpaper on my Android phone that does the same, and it kills the battery when used.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

Seen the parallax effect demonstrated in a video. From the WWDC presentation, I had the impression that it would only nudge the wallpaper around, turns out it's a 360° panorama. Either way, I have a live wallpaper on my Android phone that does the same, and it kills the battery when used.

You didn't see the parallax effect demonstrated in a video then. You saw the panorama effect. It's only active when you assign a panorama as your wallpaper.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Combat Pretzel posted:

There are 3 main wallpaper features... perhaps it should be cleared up.

1) Parralax: Move the phone all you like, the shift is mere millimeters. Adds a "layered" effect to the icons.

2) Panorama: Assigned via a panoramic photo in settings, rotating your phone pans DRASTICALLY, (several "screens" worth.

3) Dynamic: Apple included 2 dynamic themes which still have a bit of parallax action (millimeters) but also have active moving parts (like animated) however the animations seem to also coincide with movement direction.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Feenix posted:

They're saying (and I'm agreeing, to the best of my knowledge) that the keyboard NEVER showed different cases with shift key. That's a Jailbreak tweak. One that wouldn't need to exist if iOS did it already. Which it didn't.

Just tested it out on an older version of iOS and you're right. I never jailbroke my phones either so I don't know where I got that idea from. Apologies for being a confused and stubborn idiot.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

After two days of high reliability, I've already managed to crash the OS three times today :toot:

SunknLiner
Jan 19, 2005

Any indication that people can develop new dynamic wallpapers for their phones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

awesome-express posted:

Just tested it out on an older version of iOS and you're right. I never jailbroke my phones either so I don't know where I got that idea from. Apologies for being a confused and stubborn idiot.

I think most android keyboards (Including default) change cases when you press the shift key. You probably got it from that.

• Locked thread