Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

SunknLiner posted:

Any indication that people can develop new dynamic wallpapers for their phones?
Someone with some experience could root around in there and see what type of files they even are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Sockser posted:

After two days of high reliability, I've already managed to crash the OS three times today :toot:

You're doing better than most. I am not complaining, as I know what this is, but I'd say you're ahead of the curve if you're not crashing the OS at least once a day.
It's in a very early state. All the base poo poo is fairly usable, but at the very least, apps crash 1/5 times for me.

Question: Macrumors has a post up about "Today" being this competitor for Google Now.

The settings for it are in "Locations" in Settings. How come I cannot loving FIND Locations in Settings anywhere? Am I an idiot or is my poo poo broke or badly installed?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know how I've managed but I haven't crashed the OS yet, only springboard twice and I know what does it: trying to go to the open chats window in Skype while the status is set to DND.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Feenix posted:

You're doing better than most. I am not complaining, as I know what this is, but I'd say you're ahead of the curve if you're not crashing the OS at least once a day.
It's in a very early state. All the base poo poo is fairly usable, but at the very least, apps crash 1/5 times for me.

Question: Macrumors has a post up about "Today" being this competitor for Google Now.

The settings for it are in "Locations" in Settings. How come I cannot loving FIND Locations in Settings anywhere? Am I an idiot or is my poo poo broke or badly installed?
I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about but the only "location" settings I know of are in the Privacy>Location Services tab.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Feenix posted:

It's under Privacy -> Location Services

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Heh, found a minor graphical glitch, check out the drop shadows on the bottom row.

quote:

I think I mentioned it in the OP, but we're not really interested in discussing every bug in an OS that's months away.

File bug reports.

Oh I did :)

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 13, 2013

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Same thing would happen with Infiniboard and it would irrationally annoy me to no end. Hopefully they clean that up.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

awesome-express posted:

Heh, found a minor graphical glitch, check out the drop shadows on the bottom row.

You've only found one?

I've had everything from status bar icons overlaying over eachother, giant Bluetooth B's, my lock screen wallpaper being about 30% too small and having black borders of about a half an inch on every side, etc etc... :p

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's under Privacy -> Location Services

Thanks. :) Had a total brain fart there. :)

Feenix fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 13, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

awesome-express posted:

I think I mentioned it in the OP, but we're not really interested in discussing every bug in an OS that's months away.

File bug reports.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
Got my first bug report response.

Duplicate :eng99:

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!
Can anyone confirm whether or not the final version of 7 will have the really neat translucency effects on 4S? One of the big selling points for me was the sexy, sexy design.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Neowyrm posted:

Can anyone confirm whether or not the final version of 7 will have the really neat translucency effects on 4S? One of the big selling points for me was the sexy, sexy design.

Everything indicates that it'll be there. It runs smooth as silk on my 4S in the beta so

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Someone with some experience could root around in there and see what type of files they even are.

Probably Quartz Composer.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

Sockser posted:

Everything indicates that it'll be there. It runs smooth as silk on my 4S in the beta so

You have inspired me to get the beta, sir. And so I have; I'm restoring my phone backup currently.

Edit: Is there any way to get the weather widget back in the notification pulldown?

Neowyrm fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 13, 2013

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Neowyrm posted:

You have inspired me to get the beta, sir. And so I have; I'm restoring my phone backup currently.

Edit: Is there any way to get the weather widget back in the notification pulldown?

As far as I know, the weather widget has been replaced by a plain english "The forecast today is..." sections on the Today pane in the Notification Center. No more weather widget. Or share widget, which I'm much more concerned about. Though the share widgets are still there in Mavericks, so I doubt they're gone for good in iOS.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

Only one of my apps isn't compatible with the beta! iTunes apparently synced some songs from my computer without my permission.

Ooner
Sep 24, 2005

I recommend waiting for the actual version if you're not a developer who needs it. I installed it to be a cool dude and I've got weird issues with apps stuck "waiting" and it's a pain to try to fix especially since this is my primary phone.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
What's crazy is ANYONE can install beta 1 if they go the "hold opt(or shift in windows) , click update," route. Since your device is activated before the update, the activation process is skipped entirely after it's completed. Not sure if this is intentional or not.

That's not to say Apple might, in future beta's, have some sort of extra UDID reconciliation. But as it is now, anyone can update to beta 1. I've read this numerous places online and can confirm it worked on my 4S.

If one were to go this route and then strictly do the OTA updates going forward, I think there's a great chance you'd get future updates without hassle. Unless, of course, they implement a fix next week or whatever.

Like has already been said, it's not necessarily worth updating your everyday use phone to check out it. Many apps don't work, and likely wont for many months for one reason.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

So I took the plunge and upgraded. So far everything seems to be running smoothly on my CDMA iPhone 5. I think someone mentioned it but I don't think that the lock screen wallpaper is currently responding to the moving and scaling settings that can be done when selecting a wallpaper. So far I have only had an issue with one app although it is kind of embarrassing that it's an issue. Also it seems that the old keyboard will pop up from time to time. So far the battery life seems pretty good too. I can't wait to see how third party apps adjust to the new theme. I'm especially curious to see what an app like Fantastical does now that the iPhone has some of it's best features in the stock calendar app.

Yakadan
Aug 1, 2008

Ooner posted:

I recommend waiting for the actual version if you're not a developer who needs it. I installed it to be a cool dude and I've got weird issues with apps stuck "waiting" and it's a pain to try to fix especially since this is my primary phone.

Thats the auto-update feature. They should finish updating when you connect to wifi. If you have unlimited data there's a switch in Settings/iTunes & App Stores/Automatic Downloads to choose what you want downloaded and if you want to use cellular data to do it.

If that doesn't fix the issue, tap the icon twice to cycle it through "Paused" and "Waiting" again to get it to download (while on wifi).

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Ooner posted:

I had something similar because it was trying to re-download a Testflight app for some crazy reason, on restore. I had to manually tell it to delete that app and reboot the phone then everything started downloading again. YMMV!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
There's a new special feature for those of us in Arizona that the rest of y'all just aren't "cool" enough to get.

Brand new "YOUR IPHONE IS TOO loving HOT" graphics for when your phone overheats.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Yakadan posted:

Thats the auto-update feature. They should finish updating when you connect to wifi. If you have unlimited data there's a switch in Settings/iTunes & App Stores/Automatic Downloads to choose what you want downloaded and if you want to use cellular data to do it.

If that doesn't fix the issue, tap the icon twice to cycle it through "Paused" and "Waiting" again to get it to download (while on wifi).

In iOS 7 it's a bug that those steps won't fix.

mainks
Jun 13, 2013

decypher posted:

What's crazy is ANYONE can install beta 1 if they go the "hold opt(or shift in windows) , click update," route. Since your device is activated before the update, the activation process is skipped entirely after it's completed. Not sure if this is intentional or not.

CDMA or GSM?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

mainks posted:

CDMA or GSM?

GSM for sure, don't know about CDMA

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

decypher posted:

This wasn't true on my CDMA iPhone 5. I know because I had to revert to get my UDID and add it in the developers portal.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

mainks posted:

CDMA or GSM?

Yeah, GSM with AT&T. Sorry, critical factoid I should have had in my first post.

da weed wizard
Feb 19, 2005
It is true that you can upgrade in the manner mentioned above, but I wouldn't recommend it. I initially upgraded without even restoring to a "clean" 6.1.4, it was bad.

Upgrading from a clean 6.1.4 was better but still sluggish and crashy, where as a clean restore to iOS 7 is proving pretty drat stable for me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

decypher posted:

Just did this with my backup Verizon 4S (which might not make a difference since there's only one 4S model), and it seems to be working, though I don't know if it's connecting to service since it's not actually activated with Verizon. It's definitely sluggish right now, but it seems to be indexing everything at the moment, so that may change. Seems pretty cool so far.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Did they redesign the option select scroller already? I forgot to look for it and I haven't see any screens of it. Would really appreciate a screen of it (if that isn't breaking NDA).

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

The Dave posted:

Did they redesign the option select scroller already? I forgot to look for it and I haven't see any screens of it. Would really appreciate a screen of it (if that isn't breaking NDA).

This one?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Nah like the scroller you get if there's like a dropdown. (What the awful app uses to choose a specific date.)

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
The date picker is redesigned, yes. It appears inline now, rather than in a screen 'above' the content.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
For those who have done this whole beta thing before (this is my first time) how does updating to new beta builds work? Do I have to manually download the file and run it as a restore each time? Or now that I'm on 7.0 will beta updates happen like regular ones?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

So, yeah, after a couple hours of playing around with this, I can say this much: I definitely would not want this on my regular hone as-is. Not due to design, but it's definitely a beta release. Things are crashing a lot more than I'd like, and there's some other issues. That said, it runs really well on my 4S, and since it should only get better, I won't be concerned with performance going forward.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

jivjov posted:

For those who have done this whole beta thing before (this is my first time) how does updating to new beta builds work? Do I have to manually download the file and run it as a restore each time? Or now that I'm on 7.0 will beta updates happen like regular ones?
Depends. Some betas have broken OTA updates in the past and required iTunes to update.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Depends. Some betas have broken OTA updates in the past and required iTunes to update.

Well, I'm okay plugging my phone in to update it. I just meant will I have to go through the entire "wipe phone -> install new iOS version -> restore backup" procedure

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

jivjov posted:

Well, I'm okay plugging my phone in to update it. I just meant will I have to go through the entire "wipe phone -> install new iOS version -> restore backup" procedure
:iiam:

Apple can pull whatever bullshit they want on these betas. Don't run it on your everyday phone if you're not comfortable with the concept of losing its data.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

:iiam:

Apple can pull whatever bullshit they want on these betas. Don't run it on your everyday phone if you're not comfortable with the concept of losing its data.

I run daily backups, and I don't keep anything too important on this thing anyway. I'm willing to risk crashy behavior and potential data loss to fiddle with the fancy new iOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
One thing I'm not find of in New Safari now is because it's an Omnibar, space bar AND .com-button have to be accommodated meaning as I type search words with spaces I get a ton of this: best.complace.comfor.comsushi

Instead of: best place for sushi

• Locked thread