Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Feenix posted:

One thing I'm not find of in New Safari now is because it's an Omnibar, space bar AND .com-button have to be accommodated meaning as I type search words with spaces I get a ton of this: best.complace.comfor.comsushi

Instead of: best place for sushi

Yeah, I hope that gets pulled or rethought. Because the keyboard behavior is super inconsistent there for that it would be worth opening a bug as "Nice to have"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

One thing I'm not find of in New Safari now is because it's an Omnibar, space bar AND .com-button have to be accommodated meaning as I type search words with spaces I get a ton of this: best.complace.comfor.comsushi

Instead of: best place for sushi

I filed an enhancement request for that. After the first space, it should drop the .com button. I mean there's not domains with spaces, right?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
I've noticed a lot more (annoying) predictive text to where it will replace a previous word based on the word you type after it.

I kept trying to type "Well try to..." and it kept changing it to "We'll try to..." because apparently it thinks that's a more common phrase. I noticed it a couple of other times to.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I've noticed a lot more (annoying) predictive text to where it will replace a previous word based on the word you type after it.

I kept trying to type "Well try to..." and it kept changing it to "We'll try to..." because apparently it thinks that's a more common phrase. I noticed it a couple of other times to.

Trying putting a comma after the Well like you should have. Maybe it's just a grammar snob?

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!
Where exactly are we to submit bugs to Apple? Maybe I'm an idiot but I can't find anything.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

bugreport.apple.com

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

bugreport.apple.com

Thank you kindly, sir! I've got a bunch of 'em.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Here's a question for anyone using Bug Reporter... what do you file your bugs under? For example, a bug with the phone app in iPhone? There's no iOS specific category and it's not iPhone/iPod (in my brain) it seems like iOS but they don't have a category for that. Only iOS SDK and Mac OS X?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

DarkJC posted:

The date picker is redesigned, yes. It appears inline now, rather than in a screen 'above' the content.

The inline part is a suggestion from Apple, not automatic. You need to recode the views to have that work.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

benisntfunny posted:

Here's a question for anyone using Bug Reporter... what do you file your bugs under? For example, a bug with the phone app in iPhone? There's no iOS specific category and it's not iPhone/iPod (in my brain) it seems like iOS but they don't have a category for that. Only iOS SDK and Mac OS X?

It's iPhone/iPad if it's on one of those devices and part of the stock app set. As long as the category is close, it'll find its way to the right people.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
One annoying thing about the "completely revamped" UI is that they've seemingly changed/ditched elements that were completely fine and sometimes desirable simply for the sake of change.

The little volume display is one of those things. It's not particularly terrible, but it's certainly worse than it was before and it seems like the only reason it was changed is because they felt like they needed to change it, which is annoying.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I don't know if you know this, but you've got some emails to check.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I hate the new "jiggle" when moving apps. It looks like its having a seizure.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Whirlwind Jones posted:

One annoying thing about the "completely revamped" UI is that they've seemingly changed/ditched elements that were completely fine and sometimes desirable simply for the sake of change.

The little volume display is one of those things. It's not particularly terrible, but it's certainly worse than it was before and it seems like the only reason it was changed is because they felt like they needed to change it, which is annoying.

I think this has more to do with their "layers" than change for the sake of change. It's supposed to be on the same layer as the Control Center, hence the frosted glass. You'll also notice media player controls are frosted glass now, too.

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I hate the new "jiggle" when moving apps. It looks like its having a seizure.

Is it different than the old jiggle? I didn't really notice.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Kazy posted:

I think this has more to do with their "layers" than change for the sake of change. It's supposed to be on the same layer as the Control Center, hence the frosted glass. You'll also notice media player controls are frosted glass now, too.
I actually like the frosted glass, I'm more commenting on the dumb rectangular segments now. It just seems slightly off. Kinda the same way with the signal strength indicators now. Simply changed for the sake of being different.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Yeah, Apple definitely seems to pride themselves on throwing *everything* out and starting again. You see the same thing in iTunes, where they redraw all the icons, even though there was nothing really wrong with them.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

I don't know if you know this, but you've got some emails to check.
Bring on the "I read them all but I just KEEP them there" comment :)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kazy posted:

Is it different than the old jiggle? I didn't really notice.
Side by side I can't tell a difference.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I completely agree. Unfortunately I didn't know how to phrase certain things like this as a bug. To me it just feels like too bad so sad type of a UI change :(.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

smackfu posted:

Yeah, Apple definitely seems to pride themselves on throwing *everything* out and starting again. You see the same thing in iTunes, where they redraw all the icons, even though there was nothing really wrong with them.

I the case of iTunes it's called 'whitewashing'.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I actually like the frosted glass, I'm more commenting on the dumb rectangular segments now. It just seems slightly off. Kinda the same way with the signal strength indicators now. Simply changed for the sake of being different.

I think they'll probably end up getting rid of the rectangles and make it like the other elements where the volume indicators are completely clear. See: dialer, media scrubber.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Kazy posted:

I think they'll probably end up getting rid of the rectangles and make it like the other elements where the volume indicators are completely clear. See: dialer, media scrubber.

I'm legitimately surprised they're not circular.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I didn't notice the ugly volume rectangles until just now and now I'm going to dread ever changing the volume on my phone. THanks.

e: while none of my custom tones appear to be showing up, I've noticed that you can now customize vibration patterns, down to creating your own. Is this new or did I just not notice it in iOS6?

Sockser fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 14, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Sockser posted:

I didn't notice the ugly volume rectangles until just now and now I'm going to dread ever changing the volume on my phone. THanks.

e: while none of my custom tones appear to be showing up, I've noticed that you can now customize vibration patterns, down to creating your own. Is this new or did I just not notice it in iOS6?

It's from iOS 6

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Sockser posted:

For you, and anyone else wondering, a lot of syncing with iTunes or whatever is really flaky/busted right now. My tones didn't sync until I tried like 3 times to sync them. What ultimately seemed to work was removing ALL my custom tones (checkboxes) syncing, then adding the ones I wanted, and syncing again.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Probably already been mentioned but they've gone back to the old way of displaying the Top Charts section of the App Store.

Hopefully that means they'll look at changing other aspects of that ugly turd.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
On this screenshot, the icons look magnitudes less terrible than the official Apple ones with the pale blue wallpaper.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, the Apple wallpaper did a great job of highlighting the pastel colors that everyone hates.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

On this screenshot, the icons look magnitudes less terrible than the official Apple ones with the pale blue wallpaper.
That's an Apple wallpaper as well, and also the one I'm using because it looks the least bad with the new interface.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Well, my Podcast app just completely poo poo itself and refuses to work. Yay beta versions!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

jivjov posted:

Well, my Podcast app just completely poo poo itself and refuses to work. Yay beta versions!
An uninstall and reinstall of Podcasts fixes it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

An uninstall and reinstall of Podcasts fixes it.

It sorta did, I was able to start playing an episode, but if I then tried to switch to another episode, it hung up again.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
I hope they add a way to get notifications to show with the Today stuff on the lock screen (in one scrollable list, if needed). I don't really like having to switch between sections.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm personally really hating the new Calendar interface. I liked the monthly view having little dots showing you which days you had events scheduled on.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Something I just noticed that will bother me forever:
The SMS, phone, iTunes, App Store icons gradients all go light to dark

Mail and weather go dark to light.
Eeeerrrrrghhh

chedemefedeme
May 25, 2007

Until then I need your help
figuring out the logistics!

jivjov posted:

I'm personally really hating the new Calendar interface. I liked the monthly view having little dots showing you which days you had events scheduled on.

Yes. The dots. I have mis-scheduled two appointments with clients thus far this week thanks to this. Such a simple feature but so majorly useful.

They need to bring back the dots and the month view where clicking a day lets you see a list view of that day instead of just the hourly view. For people who schedule by tasks per day instead of hour by hour the loss of that takes the iPhone from my most valuable scheduling tool to a joke. Back to MS outlook in the meantime :/

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

chedemefedeme posted:

Yes. The dots. I have mis-scheduled two appointments with clients thus far this week thanks to this. Such a simple feature but so majorly useful.

They need to bring back the dots and the month view where clicking a day lets you see a list view of that day instead of just the hourly view. For people who schedule by tasks per day instead of hour by hour the loss of that takes the iPhone from my most valuable scheduling tool to a joke. Back to MS outlook in the meantime :/

Agreed. The rest of the calendar is such an improvement (in my opinion at least) but the lack of dots on the month view is a huge step back.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

chedemefedeme posted:

I have mis-scheduled two appointments with clients thus far this week thanks to this.
Way to rely on a beta OS, idiot.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Ochowie posted:

Agreed. The rest of the calendar is such an improvement (in my opinion at least) but the lack of dots on the month view is a huge step back.

Pretty sure that can be filed ignorantly as a defect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Theres a section in the bug reporting site for "improvement suggestions" right? I'm gonna go suggest dots coming back

Edit: I think I just discovered why my battery life went to poo poo. Bluetooth appears to have defaulted to "On"

jivjov fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 15, 2013

• Locked thread