Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«25 »
Mandoira
Jul 27, 2003

There are four kinds of Homicide: felonious, excusable, justifiable, and praiseworthy.

Season 2 of WCS-KR OSL is over with MaruPrime winning. Season 3 WCS-KR GSL starts August 28th

WCS GSL: http://www.twitch.tv/wcs_gsl

WCS KR is played at 5am EST, 11am CET, 6pm KST.
It is free to watch in HD live from either Gom's website or twitch, but HD VODs cost money.
What happens with VODs changes like every loving season and it's super frustrating since they don't communicate. As of right now (September 13) SD VODs are free on twitch through: http://www.twitch.tv/wcs_gsl/profile/pastBroadcasts

Liquipedia: http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraf...son_2_Korea_OSL
Gom: http://www.gomtv.net/2013wcs2/
Blizzard: http://wcs.battle.net/sc2/en
Blizzard's WCS Schedule: http://wcs.battle.net/sc2/en/schedule

The World Championship Series is the global Starcraft 2 league organized by Blizzard. WCS Korea is the Korean third of it and is run by Gom and OnGameNet. They alternate who runs each season while the opposite company does their own production/stream off-location. They're done with this evidently and it's unclear if OGN will do any more SC2 content in the future. WCS Korea is divided into two divisions: Premier (known as Code S by Gom) and Challenger (known as Code A). Season 3 of WCS Korea or 2013 Korea Season 3 GSL begins August 28th.

This season we're back to a traditional Code S format with none of the OSL best of 1/round robin stuff. Code S is eight 4-player groups and uses the Dual Tournament Format.

The Dual Tournament Format is where a group of four players is divided into two pairs who play each other. The winners then play each other with the winner of that game advancing in first. The losers also play each other with the loser being eliminated in 4th and the winner going on to face the loser of the winner's match. The fifth match is between the loser of the winner's match and the winner of the loser's match and also advances in 2nd.

After one round of this we'll have four groups of four players and repeat it. Then it's a single elimination bracket with the remaining 8 players.

For anyone new to watching Starcraft 2 there is no better way to get into it than watching GSL. It's the most prestigious tournament in the history of Starcraft 2. Anyone who wins a GSL Championship becomes a near instant legend (other than Sniper). Here's Seed's memorable reaction to winning/trying to take it all in. He's one of the lesser known Champions who disappeared after:

GSL combines the best format with the best players and the best casters.

(Left to right)
  • Akilon Wastes
  • Bel’Shir Vestige LE
  • Derelict Watcher TE
  • Frost LE (new)
  • Polar Night LE (new)
  • Whirlwind LE
  • Yeonsu LE (new)

Gom uses Tasteless and Artosis with Wolf/Khaldor casting Challenger league.

Mandoira fucked around with this message at Sep 14, 2013 around 00:30

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandoira
Jul 27, 2003

There are four kinds of Homicide: felonious, excusable, justifiable, and praiseworthy.

I know we normally discussed GSTL in the last GSL thread so just in-case I'll keep this post to make a team league intro. I'm guessing that the general Live Stream thread is probably more appropriate anyways. I don't really know why I thought turquoise was a fun color.

So what are the chances we get a protoss, or at least non-zerg, champion this season?

Mandoira fucked around with this message at Jun 14, 2013 around 02:51

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

Mandoira posted:

This season half the start times are 2 and a half hours later at 7:30am EST, 1:30pm CET, or 8:30pm KST

This owns so much, way more than other stuff sucks, from my perspective at least.

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK

Haha what the christ is that new beach map. That looks like something my 12 year old self would dream up.

edit: Also, it's the first map for every Ro32 group. This will be either amazing or a horrible trainwreck.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!

I'd seen Gangwali Beach before but I had no idea it was going to be used in a pro tournament. Anaconda looks Fruitland small.

OatmealRaisin
Aug 15, 2007

I'm going to commit more science

Burn OGN to the ground. If you want a silly map bring back Scrap Station!

Skelebro
Apr 20, 2011

Is that your plant?

It should be added that the Ro16 is going to be round robin style, not like the traditional mini-dual tournament thing they usually do.

Mandoira
Jul 27, 2003

Skelebro posted:

It should be added that the Ro16 is going to be round robin style, not like the traditional mini-dual tournament thing they usually do.

It's best of 3 though right? That still sounds kind of dumb.

Skelebro
Apr 20, 2011

Is that your plant?

Mandoira posted:

It's best of 3 though right? That still sounds kind of dumb.

Right. My only guess as to why is because even OSL knows that Bo1 in the Ro16 would be absurd, but they still have to differ from the usual GSL format somehow...

Pic~
Apr 18, 2003
Cult Member

I know this is not technically "Code S", but I think this is the first time ever there're less Terrans in Code S then the other 2 races (too lazy to check wiki for all the past code S).
Buff Hellbats.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Gwangalli Beach owns, would own more in proleague standard format where, you know, any racial imbalance would be fixed by the coaches just not using one or two of them on the map.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003

All right, all right, spare me your life's story.

I am watching the GSTL tonight and hooollly gently caress something that has been annoying me about Twitch is that now the audio for each ad is separate from the overall volume control. I cannot simply mute it when ads are running. This would be annoying enough usually, but what makes it unbearable is that there are only a handful of ads for Australians. Sometimes when streamers run a half a dozen ads you will get the same ad every time. It is really obnoxious. I mention it now because in the GSTL ads there are Twitch ads being spammed nonstop.

I can mute my loving TV between television shows, not that I do because the ad breaks are nowhere near this annoying.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!

Neurosis posted:

I am watching the GSTL tonight and hooollly gently caress something that has been annoying me about Twitch is that now the audio for each ad is separate from the overall volume control. I cannot simply mute it when ads are running. This would be annoying enough usually, but what makes it unbearable is that there are only a handful of ads for Australians. Sometimes when streamers run a half a dozen ads you will get the same ad every time. It is really obnoxious. I mention it now because in the GSTL ads there are Twitch ads being spammed nonstop.

I can mute my loving TV between television shows, not that I do because the ad breaks are nowhere near this annoying.

This annoys me as well though I notice it's only certain ad providers. These ad providers ignore 'mute' as well, which makes the mute function of the player rather worthless. I'd suggest giving feedback to twitch because I agree those rogue ads are currently the worst part of their user experience and they should be informed of that.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

I should feel bad for Prime, considering how poorly they're doing this season, but I don't. They're so rigid about who they send out that I actively root against them. Send out someone else for once.

Skelebro
Apr 20, 2011

Is that your plant?

King of Solomon posted:

I should feel bad for Prime, considering how poorly they're doing this season, but I don't. They're so rigid about who they send out that I actively root against them. Send out someone else for once.

There's not a whole lot of other people they even have, to be honest.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Skelebro posted:

There's not a whole lot of other people they even have, to be honest.

They could at least send someone out to gain experience at this point. There's no way they're actually going to the playoffs, that was unrealistic even before last night's series.

kidrobotx
Sep 19, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

They can always take solace in that they aren't NSHoSeo, I guess.

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

ESF teams are dead men walking, long live our KESPA overlords.

OatmealRaisin
Aug 15, 2007

I'm going to commit more science

Prime should pick up some folks from Azubu once they go under from this money laundering thing

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

kidrobotx posted:

They can always take solace in that they aren't NSHoSeo, I guess.

NSHoSeo at least is giving new players experience. gently caress Prime.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

On this auspicious occasion, let the Horn of Eternity cut a thunderous blast!

Mandoira posted:

So what are the chances we get a protoss, or at least non-zerg, champion this season?

Protoss around 10%, I think, but non-zerg more than 60%. The best two players in the world right now are Innovation and Flash.

Mandoira
Jul 27, 2003

I guess I'm blind since I didn't realize that they're doing two groups a night instead of one, so that's a good thing as terrible as the downtime/lack of total games will be.

Pic~
Apr 18, 2003
Cult Member

OSL starting now, first game is Soulkey vs Yugioh.
Best of 1, ZvZ gonna work out well.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

Pic~ posted:

OSL starting now, first game is Soulkey vs Yugioh.
Best of 1, ZvZ gonna work out well.

I vowed not to watch this but... I love Tastosis too much not to tune in.

Pic~
Apr 18, 2003
Cult Member

Uh oh, Soulkey already down 1 game.

E: Phew, at least Flash got through. Was pretty dicey for a sec there.

E2: Soulkey and Flash made it out of the group, avoiding the upset.

Pic~ fucked around with this message at Jun 18, 2013 around 11:26

Pic~
Apr 18, 2003
Cult Member

Holy poo poo, Savage vs Innovation was epic as gently caress.
Innovation so good.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

See, the fact that we only got to see one game between Savage and Innovation only reinforces how annoying a Bo1 format is.
At least with 2 groups/day, we get a similar amount of games, and will breeze past the Ro32.

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.

Insurrectionist posted:

See, the fact that we only got to see one game between Savage and Innovation only reinforces how annoying a Bo1 format is.
At least with 2 groups/day, we get a similar amount of games, and will breeze past the Ro32.

Honestly, while bo3 is better, I really like how quick the groups go through, and it does allow for some more interesting story lines to develop.

Sex Bumbo
Aug 14, 2004

Pretty weird how Tastosis don't consider Innovation a cheesey player. Didn't they cast his GSL finals???

Mandoira
Jul 27, 2003

Stanlo posted:

Pretty weird how Tastosis don't consider Innovation a cheesey player. Didn't they cast his GSL finals???

It's no different than Mvp. He's not a cheesy player but that doesn't mean he won't pull out the cheese in a long series if he thinks it gives him the best chance to win.

I couldn't watch last night, how were viewer numbers on twitch/were the downtimes as bad as expected?

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

"I'm not laying underneath a grown man with my legs spread on worldwide TV. Some guys subscribe to that theory, but I'm a Republican, and we don't do that."

Watch the GOM replays. I honestly liked how the groups flew by so quick.

Also Tastosis was pretty good last night, the The Secret reference cracked me up

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

lamentable dustman posted:

Watch the GOM replays. I honestly liked how the groups flew by so quick.

Also Tastosis was pretty good last night, the The Secret reference cracked me up

It was a lot better than I expected and the downtime wasn't as bad as I figured it would be either.

boxquote
Mar 29, 2013

Mandoira posted:

I couldn't watch last night, how were viewer numbers on twitch/were the downtimes as bad as expected?

About 19k on the GOM steam, and about 2.5k-3k on the OGN stream. No idea how many were watching via GOM's site. I keep both streams open and switch the audio back and forth. GOM has better commentary but lacks the player shots and interviews (Chobra was translating for OGN).

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003

All right, all right, spare me your life's story.

Mandoira posted:

It's no different than Mvp. He's not a cheesy player but that doesn't mean he won't pull out the cheese in a long series if he thinks it gives him the best chance to win.

I think of MVP as cheesy. It's not the only thing he can do but he uses it a lot, especially in TvP.

Mandoira
Jul 27, 2003

It appears that VODs are free in SD (480p) from OSL: http://www.twitch.tv/wcs_osl/videos?kind=highlights (past broadcasts don't archive the streams but they have all the games from A/B available at least). No official announcement since that would be too easy so I guess we'll see if that continues.

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

dilbertschalter posted:

This owns so much, way more than other stuff sucks, from my perspective at least.

...except not in practice, because all the groups I want to watch are at 5 am, curse you group selecting device. To be fair, Group H is pretty sweet, but otherwise I vastly prefer all of the earlier groups.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

This game is...not great.

Pic~
Apr 18, 2003
Cult Member

Oh wow, Effort is out and Soo is through.
Now Maru is about to knock sOs out of RO32.

Some unexpected results from here.

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

advancing so far:

Terran: 4/4
Zerg: 3/9
Protoss: 1/3

terran,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

SA shoutout! Kind of.

Also man, ZvZ is still a bit of a bore. Even the one somewhat exciting game can't salvage this group.

«25 »