Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

Welcome to the Chaos in the Old World thread, in which we talk about religion and help each other overcome enable skulltaking addictions

Chaos and You

Are you an unpredictable individual?
Do you fantasize about hurting other people?
Are you a gross mound of diseased nerd flesh?
Have you ever considered donating receiving blood?

If the answer to any of these questions is yes or a bestial howl that can be interpreted as a yes, then Chaos in the Old World might be for you!

The Basics

Chaos in the Old World is a strategy game that pits you and three friends against one another in a contest to corrupt "the Old World," a continent that looks suspiciously like Europe. You will have pursue your own diabolical schemes, outmaneuver your fellow Chaos Gods, and overcome the residents of the old world, who are understandably less than pleased with their new mutated neighbors.

In addition to being weird and wonderful, the four chaos gods play as four distinct factions, each with their own advantages and vulnerabilities. Additionally, there are two victory conditions. One is victory point based and the other is a more complex system of meeting a set of conditions, which are different for each god. It sounds complex, but the end result is an extremely well balanced and fiendishly fun game. In the short time that I've owned this game, I've seen victories by all the gods, some decisive and others nail-biting last minute comebacks.

You may be familiar with the theme, as these are the very same Chaos Gods from the Warhammer Universe, the setting of Games Workshops's popular tabletop games. If not, there's no background information that you really need. You'll be taking skulls and screaming with the rest of us in no time!

:pcgaming:Best played with exactly 4 people!:pcgaming:

Khorne, the Blood God
"No subtlety has Khorne. He has no yearning for beauty of form in his black heart, for he is the blood god, the skulltaker. Within his immortal frame there is room for rage alone, and slaughter is his only desire.'

Khorne is the most belligerent of the pantheon, and this disposition manifests itself in his strategy. Khorne players will start the game fighting, then transition into more fighting, ending with... you get the idea. Khorne wins by killing as many enemies in as many different places as possible, and as such, is usually at everyone's throat, ruining their plans.

Nurgle, the Great Lord of Decay
"Nurgle is the mighty Lord of Decay who presides over all physical corruption and morbidity. Disease and putrefaction, the inevitable entropic decline of all things, are the favors he bestows upon the universe."

Nurgle's cheap and abundant units allow him to dominate regions and ruin them for metric tons of points. Slow and steady wins the race, and with patience, Nurgle players can sow the seeds of corruption in valuable regions and reap the benefits.

Slaanesh, the Prince of Pleasure
“Slaanesh is the master of cruel passions and hidden vices, and of terrible temptations. It is impossible for a mortal to look upon Slaanesh without losing his soul, for all who see Slaanesh become slaves to his slightest whim.”

With great units, great abilities and several paths to victory, Slaanesh is one of the more adaptable and versatile gods. Slaanesh can get tough units and go toe-to-toe with Khorne when he needs to, or hide out in a corner, quietly racking up domination points and having BDSM parties with the Old World's degenerate nobility. My personal favorite.

Tzeentch, the Changer of Ways
"Tzeentch is the Changer of the Ways, the Great Conspirator - the Architect of Fate for the universe. He takes great delight in the plotting and politicking of others, and favours the cunning over the strong, the manipulative over the violent."

Circles within circles, plots within plots. Who knows what Tzeentch is up to? Does he? No, he doesn't. Tzeentch's defining feature are his dirt cheap abilities, many of which can be game deciding if played at the right moment. As an added bonus, his lore justifies any loss by him as just another part of a greater plan
(An excuse I use frequently :smith:)

***WARNING NON CANON***

The Horned Rat, Lord of the Skaven
“Deep beneath the earth, a labyrinth of tunnels serves as the Under-Empire of the Skaven. These massive vermin are believed by most to be the subject of myth, but the unwitting masses of the Old World are about to learn that these sinister beasts are all too real.”

How the Skaven differ from the other Gods is that even though there are Cultists in the army, they do not drop corruption. The Skaven horde is corruption in living form. As more Skaven enter a region, each unit contributes to the ruin of the region equal to the power used to summon that unit. With acceptable tanky units along with upgrades that protect the weaker Cultists, the Skaven are hard to break if they are allowed to mass into a world ruining army.

The Horned Rat Expansion that adds the Horned Rat as a character/faction does not only contain everything for the new god but also includes advanced versions of the Chaos Cards and Upgrades for the remaining gods. The expansion also adds harder Old World cards which gives new challenges to all of the players. (Thanks to EVIR Gibson for the expansion summary!)

Rules, etc.
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/chaos_in_the_old_world/chaos-in-the-world-rule-book/chaos-in-the-old-world-rule-book-web.pdf

MoreLikeTen fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'll write up the Horned Rat.

“Deep beneath the earth, a labyrinth of tunnels serves as the Under-Empire of the Skaven. These massive vermin are believed by most to be the subject of myth, but the unwitting masses of the Old World are about to learn that these sinister beasts are all too real.”

How the Skaven differ from the other Gods is that even though there are Cultists in the army, they do not drop corruption. The Skaven horde is corruption in living form. As more Skaven enter a region, each unit contributes to the ruin of the region equal to the power used to summon that unit. With acceptable tanky units along with upgrades that protect the weaker Cultists, the Skaven are hard to break if they are allowed to mass into a world ruining army..

The Horned Rat Expansion

The Horned Rat Expansion does not only contain everything for the new god but also includes advanced versions of the Chaos Cards and Upgrades for the remaining gods. The expansion also adds harder Old World cards which gives new challenges to all of the players.

Cow Bell
Aug 29, 2007

The Horned Rat is a lot of fun, but really he should not be played without a fifth player. The game was balanced around the 4 Primary Gods, and the expansion was clearly made with five players in mind and feels really unbalanced if you take out, say, Khorne in place of the Horny Rat. That being said - the Under-Empire upgrade card mixed with enough Grey Seers and Skitterleaps is hilarious.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Even if someone isn't really interested in Warhammer, I have to say that this is one of the best boardgames currently on the market, and last year got voted as the third most recommended game by the Board Game Thread (behind BSG and Space Alert).

Its not especially difficult to sell to more casual gamers or nongamers as well- you can just blow past all the fiddily Warhammer lore and basically say "this is Europe. You are one of the Four Horsemen. Go.", and generally have the concept be understood. The only other game I own that gained as much traction with previous non-boardgamers was Battlestar Galactica.

I guess what I'm saying is, theres no excuse for not trying this, and then trying to get your buddies in on it.

OurIntrepidHero
Nov 5, 2011

He's just too fast!
This may be my current favorite board game. I think I really like the non-asymmetrical nature of the powers and how your strategy has to differ based on that. Is there any chance of another expansion?

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
I hope so. Though I don't really know if it would work. The way the powers are balanced out would probably be through out of balance by another. Plus I don't really know what other power they could throw in. Vampire Counts? Beastmen?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nash posted:

I hope so. Though I don't really know if it would work. The way the powers are balanced out would probably be through out of balance by another. Plus I don't really know what other power they could throw in. Vampire Counts? Beastmen?

There is Malal (http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Malal) who is the probably the only Chaos that is dedicated to destroy other Chaos forces, so in a way... kinda good?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Something to note: Like all FFG games, this game is hilariously fun and hilariously unbalanced. You should definitely buy the Horned Rat expansion, if only because it comes with a second deck for each of the Chaos Gods and a second set of upgrades for them. It more than doubles the amount of content the game has. But when you do, you should carefully sort out all of Khorne's second deck and throw it directly in the garbage. It is ludicrous and the only reason to play with it is if you're tired of the tedium of not knowing which God will win.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

^^^^ This game is pretty balanced, actually.

Nash posted:

Obviously the next expansion must add Gork and Mork :orks:

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah I got no idea what CitOW he's playing that's "hilariously unbalanced." I'm only five or six games in and I've seen every god win, and every god put up a serious fight even when not winning*. I have every reason to believe the common opinion that this game, non-expansion version, is one of the tightest games out there.

Which is sort of sad in a perverse way because discussion threads thrive on negativity (where would TGD's DnD threads be if everyone were forced to shut the hell up about fighters v. wizards). Or, without negativity, hype and new toys, which does a favor for threads like Netrunner, and this game lacks upcoming releases.

All that's left is theorycrafting...and there's no idle character creation, deckbuilding, or things of the sort about which lonely nerds who never get to play can nonetheless argue in this game. Can the impossible be done? Can a discussion thread have a long, healthy life discussing only...strategy?!

Let's find out! I have a strategy question for the OP and welcome him to go into extreme depth in his answer. You say Slaneesh can "go toe to toe" with Khorne, implying not just that his Cultists can be made hard to kill, but that you prefer to actually summon heavy units to fight back. I have never heard that advice made before - only Nurgle really fights Khorne directly, because he can get 1 attack point for 1 mana. Maybe, maybe Tzeentch, who can also get 1 attack for 1 mana via his Daemon, if he feels like it's worth paying out 3. Not Slanesh, owner of low-attack units the high defenses of which are pointless given the attacker's privilege to select targets. Tell me more about your personal favorite god.

*OK, so Tzeentch only won the single time I tried Horned Rat, but he got 50 pts in a core game where Slaneesh won with 54, so good enough.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

EVIR Gibson posted:

There is Malal (http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Malal) who is the probably the only Chaos that is dedicated to destroy other Chaos forces, so in a way... kinda good?

Whoa, I thought there were only four chaos gods. Learn something new every day.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Nash posted:

Whoa, I thought there were only four chaos gods. Learn something new every day.

That god basically ceased to exist during the 80s as a result of legal issues, and other than a spurious link regarding some marines with matching color schemes- I highly doubt GW or FFG would bring it back at all.

Gork/Mork really seems likeliest if there was to be a sixth player.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

EVIR Gibson posted:

I'll write up the Horned Rat.

How the Skaven differ from the other Gods is that even though there are Cultists in the army, they do not drop corruption. The Skaven horde is corruption in living form. As more Skaven enter a region, each unit contributes to the ruin of the region equal to the power used to summon that unit. With acceptable tanky units along with upgrades that protect the weaker Cultists, the Skaven are hard to break if they are allowed to mass into a world ruining army..

The Horned Rat Expansion

The Horned Rat Expansion does not only contain everything for the new god but also includes advanced versions of the Chaos Cards and Upgrades for the remaining gods. The expansion also adds harder Old World cards which gives new challenges to all of the players.

Added, thanks! (I even gave you credit, how generous of me!)

Also, what do people think of peasants? They really seem sort of accessory to me, we almost never get a peasant scoring card when I play.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Peasants are fun to kill. They also give Khorne something to do and roll when everybody else has run the gently caress away from him.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

SuperKlaus posted:

Let's find out! I have a strategy question for the OP and welcome him to go into extreme depth in his answer. You say Slaneesh can "go toe to toe" with Khorne, implying not just that his Cultists can be made hard to kill, but that you prefer to actually summon heavy units to fight back. I have never heard that advice made before - only Nurgle really fights Khorne directly, because he can get 1 attack point for 1 mana. Maybe, maybe Tzeentch, who can also get 1 attack for 1 mana via his Daemon, if he feels like it's worth paying out 3. Not Slanesh, owner of low-attack units the high defenses of which are pointless given the attacker's privilege to select targets. Tell me more about your personal favorite god.

On the subject of Horrors and Daemonettes vs. Bloodletters:

A common mistake I see from Slaanesh and Tzeentch is to ignore their warriors, which tends to cause Khorne wins. Let's say there's a region you're trying to ruin or earn an advancement counter on and already have a few cultists there. Khorne then drops a Bloodletter in that region. There's basically two things you can do, besides using a relevant chaos card:

A)Drop enough cultists in the region so that even if Khorne kills a bunch, you still tick or ruin.
B)Drop a warrior and try to kill his Bloodletter.

Most new players seem to choose option A, regarding warriors as useless. What happens is they spend say, 2-3 power points in additional cultists. Khorne kills some, gets his dial advancement counter (what he was after all along) and you also get your reward. But then, on the next turn the Bloodletter is still there and your remaining cultists are also still there, so now this region is another free tick for Khorne unless you spend even more resources. In essence, you are feeding Khorne free dial counters. This is rarely a good strategy.

Let's consider Option B, instead. At 2/1 vs. 1/2, a single Bloodletter only has a 25% chance of killing a Daemonette (it's slightly higher than that, around 30%, but let's ignore exploding 6s for simplicity's sake). Meanwhile, a Daemonette or Horror has a 50% chance of killing a Bloodletter. As you can see, in this battle Daemonettes and Horrors are favored by quite a large margin.

Khorne will probably ignore your warrior and kill your cultists (if he doesn't and kills your warrior, then you get your reward making this the same as option A). Then your warrior strikes with a 50% chance of killing his Bloodletter. If you kill it, you force Khorne to spend power to deploy it next turn. If he does drop the Bloodletter again on that region, your warrior will still be there to kill it again at no cost to you. Option B does not earn you your reward this turn, but it screws Khorne over in the long run. A smart Khorne player will realize this and probably go after softer targets instead unless he absolutely needs to stop you. In the long term, you come out ahead.

To recap, option A is better when you absolutely NEED to get that tick (it will win you the game or ensure a double tick) or when your cultists will ruin a region and earn you a first place. Thus, option A is best employed in the last or next to last turn. In the early turns, Option B is mostly better.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Gravy Train Robber posted:

That god basically ceased to exist during the 80s as a result of legal issues, and other than a spurious link regarding some marines with matching color schemes- I highly doubt GW or FFG would bring it back at all.

Gork/Mork really seems likeliest if there was to be a sixth player.

Yeah, you're pretty much correct. GW is a company that is a solid pillar in the game industry and never make questionable business/story decisions.

gently caress, fan-expansion that adds Malal. Let's make it happen.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Where's the love for Hashut?

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

SuperKlaus posted:

Fightin' words

I think I misspoke, and I'd be happy to edit the OP if you think it's misleading to new players. In my experience, tough cultists, tons of power points, a very tough greater demon and a card that shuts down battles makes Slaanesh the only god who can really shut down Khorne's ability to get consistent dial tokens in his/her own turf. Obviously, everyone has ways of dealing with Khorne, but Nurgle's involve dying, and Tzeentch's involve running/hiding.

Edit: This is counterbalanced by his/her small cultist pool. That prevents slaanesh from spreading too far out and getting too many dial advancements/dominations.

MoreLikeTen fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jun 16, 2013

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

SuperKlaus posted:

*OK, so Tzeentch only won the single time I tried Horned Rat, but he got 50 pts in a core game where Slaneesh won with 54, so good enough.

The Lord of Change is awful. Just completely awful. I think the only times I've ever seen him get summoned was because all the other Greater Daemons were on the table and Tzeentch didn't want to feel left out.

The 1/2 Warriors are not terrible, but Daemonettes are generally better than Horrors, simply because Tzeentch has better things to spend 2 points on.

Attack dice per power point isn't really a great metric, because the board state is very very relevant. Sometimes Tzeentch or Slaanesh absolutely needs to summon a Warrior to get Khorne out of their hair. It happens.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

A rules clarification question. All skaven units count as corruption. This corruption only comes into affect when an area is ruined correct? I couldn't have 12 skaven cultists in a region with no corruption and see it ruin at the end of the turn, right? The rule basically has you rush in and mob an area about to ruin in order to steal the first place ruination points, at least that is how I understand it to go.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Nash posted:

A rules clarification question. All skaven units count as corruption. This corruption only comes into affect when an area is ruined correct? I couldn't have 12 skaven cultists in a region with no corruption and see it ruin at the end of the turn, right? The rule basically has you rush in and mob an area about to ruin in order to steal the first place ruination points, at least that is how I understand it to go.

Yes, this is correct. Skaven units present in a region earn ruiner points, and the total power cost of skaven units in a region is used in place of a corruption count for determining the winner of a ruined region. In all other respects, they are not corruption.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
Apparently a game without balance arguments is hard to keep a conversation going about.

In the meantime, is this just between printings or is it out of print for the foreseeable future? Amazon's out except for resellers; Fantasy Flight says they'll have more in stock "soon". Is there any chance of copies at GenCon?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I don't know about that but I'll bump the thread re: summonchat.

I can understand wanting to get Khorne's unit off your back. I'd advise a Nurgle to try and punch back with a cheap Plaguebearer sometimes. For Slanesh, though, Khorne can be shut down other ways, like just by the fact your cultists are so hard to kill. For Tzeentch, I tend to rely on Chaos cards or just running away because I can take my dial advancement conditions with me. Anyway, I'd like the Lord O' Change over a Horror any day. One more mana for two more attack dice is where it's at. Why settle for 50% to remove the Bloodletter when you can get...uh...better for just 1 more mana? Horrors suck. I also like to use the Lord as a Cultist-seeking missile in places where Khorne's not doing his job on the other two gods.

Admittedly I've seen Slaneshh join the warrior game just for want of anything else to do after getting both +mana upgrades.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I have never seen Tzeentch summon combat units for the purpose of combat. I've seen Tzeentch use the expansion Horror upgrade to good effect and I've seen the Lord of Change get summoned maybe twice, just for shits and giggles.

I was not and would not ever advise Tzeentch to focus on combat. Tzeentch has far more important things to spend his points on.

Spending 3 points on a 2 defense unit is among the worst things Tzeentch can do with his turn.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Double posting to talk about my awesome game tonight. I finally won my first game as core Tzeentch and have now recorded at least one win with every core god.

I also summoned two different Horrors, intending to use them for combat.

Final turn, Khorne and I were both a tick from winning and he had more VP than me. Nurgle seemed ready to throw in the towel, but we played it out and I managed to tick and ruin Norsca, scoring enough points to break 50, overtake Khorne and win the game.

Yeah, Khorne had about 40 VP. It was kind of weird.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
How? Peasants card? That one came up three times for one of my games once. Sadly no one had actually whacked any peasants.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I actually don't think we ever flipped a Plunged into Chaos.

I think he was involved in some Ruinations, got some Ruiner bonuses and used the Skull Throne effectively a couple of times.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
There was a game I played where the first 4 Old World cards were all the same peasant card. As a primarily Tzeentch player, I was completely ok with this as generally the main thing that screws me over is the old world being a dick like 'now you can only play one chaos card in regions with skaven tokens in it' right after both a skavenblight the turn before, and the regions with my warpstones being ruined so needing 2 chaos cards for a tick to finish off the game.

For balance chat: Every game we've played has ended in Tzeentch victory, however every single time every player has been in the run for it but its just come down to how well the last turn was played, including quite a few where Tzeentch made it to max dial at the same time Nurgle and Slaanesh both got over 50VP, but dial victories take precendence.

I think the main fun in this game is fighting to get your conditions going and keeping a board presence even in the face of horrible adversity, but those last few turns is where the game really shines. You're not thinking about how to make the absolute best plays depending on what everyone else is doing then like you were through the first 4 turns, you're just going 'can i make this just slightly better than my rival, and how can I stop him doing the same to me'. There are so many ways to dick people over at the last minute that its incredible, its very common in the expansion for Slaanesh being a double-dial-tick away from winning and having an almost guaranteed 4 DAC from his expansion cultist upgrade, then its up to if you've got the cards to teleport Khorne's bloodthirster into there for him, or just summoning cultists in each of the areas khorne's had abandoned units he hasn't had the power to move there - doesn't matter if Khorne gets the double tick and ends up one below winning if Slaanesh is also now one below winning but you've made it over the line.

The expansion makes every god play differently, and is really worth it after having a lot of base games. Slaanesh really shines in Dial and is a serious threat to stop now as well as having a few new tricks like moving my warpstones away as his last move, where as Tzeentch I'm going for VP hard now and using dial just to get my upgrades or to stop other people double ticking. Khorne hasn't really been doing too well, but that's because our players keep picking the 'Summon a bloodthirster for free in an area with 6 or more corruption' upgrade, which I think is just absolute garbage for a first upgrade as he'll just be made to drop corruption instead of rolling battle dice, or warp portal'd away, etc.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Are you only playing with the expansion? You should probably try playing with the core decks and upgrades.

vvv: I disagree, knowing that you can't win and messing with everyone and forcing everyone to lose is totally awesome.

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Aug 3, 2013

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
The humiliation of being beaten by the Old World in this game is nigh-unbearable.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Some Numbers posted:

Are you only playing with the expansion? You should probably try playing with the core decks and upgrades.

vvv: I disagree, knowing that you can't win and messing with everyone and forcing everyone to lose is totally awesome.

Me? Yeah I've played the majority of my games as the base, we've just moved on to the expansion recently for our last 2-3 games so it's fresh in my mind.

Never have lost to the old world deck or ruin, but the fear of it adds a little fun

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Tell your Khorne to take the Bloodletter upgrade and watch him destroy you.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Some Numbers posted:

We've never had a deck loss, but it's one of the (many) things I absolutely love about this game. It's a great solution to the problem of kingmaking, since it gives players who have been taken out of the running something to actual shoot for.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah I was in that very spot last time I played and when I realized I could try to nuke the whole thing and call that a sour grapes win I was ecstatic. I think that's excellent game design for the very anti-kingmaker reason you said.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Some Numbers posted:

Tell your Khorne to take the Bloodletter upgrade and watch him destroy you.

Yeah, the expansion upgrade for Bloodletters that give them VPs for doing what Khorne already wants to do at all times is absurd. I played a four player game recently as Slaanesh, and Khorne beat me through victory points while never ruining or dominating a single region (he got contribution points for a couple and a few VPs through dead peasants). I hit 50 exactly, and he got well over 50. It feels like all Khorne really needs and wants to do is just maul at least one unit in a square - you don't care if bloodletters survive as long as you get a kill. Grab the bloodletter upgrade first, the upgrade that gives an additional combat die if you roll at least one, and then go to town killing dudes with bloodletters. If you don't win on VPs, then you'll win on dial advancements.

The only way to counter it is to stop Khorne from getting kills, which essentially boils down to dice and some spells. There are probably some things I'm missing, but in my experience, Khorne generally is either in first or second in both VPs and dial advancement, and this is true almost regardless of who is playing them.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Dirk the Average posted:

Yeah, the expansion upgrade for Bloodletters that give them VPs for doing what Khorne already wants to do at all times is absurd. I played a four player game recently as Slaanesh, and Khorne beat me through victory points while never ruining or dominating a single region (he got contribution points for a couple and a few VPs through dead peasants). I hit 50 exactly, and he got well over 50. It feels like all Khorne really needs and wants to do is just maul at least one unit in a square - you don't care if bloodletters survive as long as you get a kill. Grab the bloodletter upgrade first, the upgrade that gives an additional combat die if you roll at least one, and then go to town killing dudes with bloodletters. If you don't win on VPs, then you'll win on dial advancements.

The only way to counter it is to stop Khorne from getting kills, which essentially boils down to dice and some spells. There are probably some things I'm missing, but in my experience, Khorne generally is either in first or second in both VPs and dial advancement, and this is true almost regardless of who is playing them.

You don't even need to kill with Bloodletters specifically! You just need to have a Bloodletter in the region!

Also, the upgrade works opposite to Khorne's tick condition. Getting 4 or 5 kills in the same region is way better with the upgrade.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
Played my first game as expansion Khorne on the weekend, and wow, that was ridiculous. Finished the game on turn 4 with 54VP, and had been a part of 4 ruinings, snatching second place in 2 or 3 of them. It wasn't even close.

It's the first time someone had played Bloodletter Upgrade Khorne and people just didn't have answers to me dominating or grabbing VP instead of needing to kill them, or at least they didn't realise they needed them until too late - on the second last turn Tzeentch was dropping Havoc in areas his and my units were in but was about to ruin and thinking he was outplaying me by doing it.

Still shocked at how much variety this game has.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Sionak posted:

In the meantime, is this just between printings or is it out of print for the foreseeable future? Amazon's out except for resellers; Fantasy Flight says they'll have more in stock "soon". Is there any chance of copies at GenCon?

CSI has stock again (I just ordered it and the expansion today).

Anyone have thoughts on any of the two player variants floating around?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

TOOT BOOT posted:

CSI has stock again (I just ordered it and the expansion today).

Anyone have thoughts on any of the two player variants floating around?

I haven't hammered out the details, but one variant I've been toying with is a team variant. Two against two with the gods winning or losing together.

How they win and how they interact are the details that need to be worked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

I haven't hammered out the details, but one variant I've been toying with is a team variant. Two against two with the gods winning or losing together.

How they win and how they interact are the details that need to be worked out.

It's probably possible, the problem is that so many of the gods are specific checks on each other. Khorne thins out nurgles endless cultists, slaanesh tanks khorne invasions, tzneech steals slaanesh's power points, nurgle ruins places with warp stone. I certainly haven't thought of every check and balance, and I'm sure any pairing could find a way to break the game hilariously. Not that it isn't worth trying.

• Locked thread