Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Oh, I agree, I'd figured she'd be able to sense it at most, definitely not control it.

Also I had a nightmare about bugs crawling under my skin last night :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Endbringers aren't exactly smart, but they do have at least some degree of animal cunning or inelligence to varying degrees. Taylor has never displayed the ability to control anything with even an ounce of volition. Stuff has to be dirt simple, with just basic biological drives, to fall into her sphere of influence.

Also yeah, it wouldn't really fit the tone of stuff if she could cart around pet Kaiju.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Lprsti99 posted:

I don't know about any of that, I just finished the first fight against Leviathan. Am I the only one who thought that due to Tattletale's description of it as a creature with a simple biology, basically sounding like an oversized crab, Taylor's powers were going to have some interaction with it?

I thought this too at that point, but keep reading as you'll soon discover there's a reason she can't. Aside from it ruining the story.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Skippy McPants posted:

Endbringers aren't exactly smart, but they do have at least some degree of animal cunning or inelligence to varying degrees. Taylor has never displayed the ability to control anything with even an ounce of volition. Stuff has to be dirt simple, with just basic biological drives, to fall into her sphere of influence.

Also yeah, it wouldn't really fit the tone of stuff if she could cart around pet Kaiju.

Except that the Simurgh blocked Panacea's communication to Dragon about the shards/passengers in what appeared to be a very intelligent and knowing way.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Lyon posted:

Except that the Simurgh blocked Panacea's communication to Dragon about the shards/passengers in what appeared to be a very intelligent and knowing way.

Simurgh is an interesting case. Pretty much a perfect, or near-perfect, precog. How much of what it does is intelligence, and how much is it just Contessa on steroids? Even that would require some intelligence, sure, but not necessarily that much. Just picking whatever future seems to have the best results based on whatever she's been programmed with or whatever.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

SerSpook posted:

Simurgh is an interesting case. Pretty much a perfect, or near-perfect, precog. How much of what it does is intelligence, and how much is it just Contessa on steroids? Even that would require some intelligence, sure, but not necessarily that much. Just picking whatever future seems to have the best results based on whatever she's been programmed with or whatever.

Does anyone have a link to the chapter where Simurgh did the communication block? I want to re-read that section.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Dietrich posted:

Does anyone have a link to the chapter where Simurgh did the communication block? I want to re-read that section.

It's one of the interludes where Panacea is in the Birdcage. At the very end, if I recall.

Edit: Got it -- http://parahumans.wordpress.com/2012/12/27/

--------

Haven't been saying much lately about these new chapters. It's just a little bit difficult to put :black101: and :suspense: into words. Don't know how Wildbow does it so consistently and so well.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 5, 2013

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

SerSpook posted:

You want something even crazier? While the Simurgh has wrecked a hell of a lot of havoc over time, a few of the her actions that we are aware of have had positive effects in the end, most notably Mannequin's interaction with Armsmaster having a POSITIVE effect on the man and Dragon, and Noelle's situation leading to both the discovery of how to create portals AND the reveal of the whole Cauldron situation improved humanities situation overall.

Precogs give me loving headaches.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Sometimes when butterflies flap their wings to cause tornados on the other side of the planet, they look really pretty to anyone nearby.

To put it in a less dumb way, I doubt the Simurgh can create an entire chain of events that are 100% negative, so long as it is for the greater evil it still works.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

sirtommygunn posted:

Sometimes when butterflies flap their wings to cause tornados on the other side of the planet, they look really pretty to anyone nearby.

To put it in a less dumb way, I doubt the Simurgh can create an entire chain of events that are 100% negative, so long as it is for the greater evil it still works.

The converse could also be true. There is no reason to believe that causing positive things to happen wouldn't wreck utter havoc as well.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

NecroMonster posted:

The converse could also be true.

I think you mean inverse. Converse means to engage in conversation.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Skippy McPants posted:

I think you mean inverse. Converse means to engage in conversation.

Yeah, I do.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Converse (first syllable stressed) has a logical meaning:
"If A then B" is the statement
"If B then A" is the converse
"If not A then not B" is the inverse
"If not B then not A" is the contrapositive

In practice most people don't distinguish between the inverse and the converse since they are logically equivalent.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009
I haven't read much of this thread, since I'm less than halfway through Worm's archives (meaning I still have at least a literal million words to read, goddamn), but I wanted to drop by and give my initial impression.

It seems like Worm is basically what Wild Cards could have been if it weren't quite so Wild Cards. It's not that Worm isn't grim, gritty, gory, or whatever other applicable adjectives, but Wild Cards seemed to have much more of an adolescent fixation on trying to appear 'mature' in an edgy shock-value sort of way. Worm seems to have avoided that. It also benefits from being written by only one author, rather than a whole gaggle of neckbeards trying to squeeze in a story arc about their favorite Ace.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Welp, looks like we have Endbringers on a string. One they could snap if they felt like it.

Emy posted:

It seems like Worm is basically what Wild Cards could have been if it weren't quite so Wild Cards. It's not that Worm isn't grim, gritty, gory, or whatever other applicable adjectives, but Wild Cards seemed to have much more of an adolescent fixation on trying to appear 'mature' in an edgy shock-value sort of way. Worm seems to have avoided that. It also benefits from being written by only one author, rather than a whole gaggle of neckbeards trying to squeeze in a story arc about their favorite Ace.

Wild Cards suffered from trying too hard to be 'mature' and edgy, it worked with very limited length to express plots and few characters ever really got to be fleshed out. Most of them seem distinctly...unmotivated really, just pursuing their vice of the day. You don't know them as people, but as caricatures with powers. The power defines all that they are.

For Worm, gritty and mature is just natural evolution of the plot. It's really more about the characters and how they're dealing with crisis. The powers are just a means of expressing character traits really.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Every time I ask "How could this possibly get worse" Wildbow is more than happy to tell me how.

Chances that this is just the Simurgh intimidating them/making them know who's in charge?

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

sirtommygunn posted:

Every time I ask "How could this possibly get worse" Wildbow is more than happy to tell me how.

Chances that this is just the Simurgh intimidating them/making them know who's in charge?

Good odds, Simurgh is helping because she wants to, not because she's following orders or allied. She just wants to kick Scion's rear end, and as the master manipulator of the Endbringers, does not appreciate being manipulated.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Oh, holy poo poo this is a bad idea.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I can't understand, if Eidolon created/projected the Endbringers then why do they exist after he does not? Wait, it's because he used one of his rotating powers to create them so they continue after him? So not like the Siberian.

I think I answered my own question.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
More like Dragon's situation, his power was used to construct them, after which it was an independent existence.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

So the Eidolon theories were right it seems.

Man, this is going to be so awesome.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I'm still finding it's most likely Scion created them. The implications to me are that basically Eidolon has the counterpart Worm's core shard, the one that would be used to gather them all before the pair went 'gently caress the world, we're off' - but it's difficult to use, and Scion needed Eidolon to use it in order to have a chance at reconstructing his partner. So he gave Eidolon challenges. Once Eidolon fully activated the shard, Scion no longer needed his input, and extracted the mature shard.

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010
In non-Worm news, Ra has updated recently.

It's quite interesting to see how things play out. I really liked this chapter, though I felt the ending was a bit cliffhanger-y. I look forward to seeing where this ends up.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Taking what we know of Echidna, and what we just learned about what the Endbringers were, I think it's safe to say that she was becoming something like that. The Endbringers appear to be passengers interacting with the world, created/called by Eidolon (or Scion) and Noelle was losing control to her passenger, even as more and more of it entered the world. Not so hard to believe that she'd have become an Endbringer as she changed, with Tattletale theorizing that eventually she'd reach a critical mass and start growing denser instead of larger.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
I still think the whole Eidelon connection is a red herring, maybe his death disappearance marked humanities inability to fight back on any meaningful level which screws up the end-bringers purpose?

I mean they are there to fight humanity to the very brink but not push them over it like scion is doing, this would produce lots of mature/second trigger/newly triggered capes and would make sure that the constant pressure kept them united and not in open war. There is too much being alluded with all the pseudo religious imagery and how they seem to exist with a purpose to apply pressure but not wipe out humanity to be Eidelon just wanted to fight strong dudes and be a hero without coming off as anti climatic.

Things get weird I suppose when you look at the meaning behind Eidolons name too

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eidolon_(apparition)

Zasze fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 9, 2013

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
New Worm
Mecha godzilla. Who knew Endbringers were upgradable.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

veekie posted:

New Worm
Mecha godzilla. Who knew Endbringers were upgradable.

At this point I'm starting to think that Wildbow deserves some sort of reward for his ability to just keep upping the ante. Oh yeah does this mean that Defiant's nano-thorns can hurt Scion or does it just mean that Simurgh thinks it's worth a shot?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

NecroMonster posted:

At this point I'm starting to think that Wildbow deserves some sort of reward for his ability to just keep upping the ante. Oh yeah does this mean that Defiant's nano-thorns can hurt Scion or does it just mean that Simurgh thinks it's worth a shot?

Probably the latter, but they'd have to find his real body anyway because the golden man is just a projection like the Siberian.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Does anyone have a theory on what the gently caress is up with Sleeper?

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

I like these last couple of chapters. Got a real Undersiders feel to it, from back in the beginning.

It struck me that Taylor really is like Jack Slash, only without the joyful homicides. Seemed much more apparent, having to manage difficult, violent personalities.

Also got another hint of something between Tattletale and Taylor, or is that just me?

SerSpook posted:

Does anyone have a theory on what the gently caress is up with Sleeper?

There was a comment on the Worm site indicating that would get attention in a sequel.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Fellwenner posted:

It struck me that Taylor really is like Jack Slash, only without the joyful homicides. Seemed much more apparent, having to manage difficult, violent personalities.

This has come up more than once, they're both very good at methodically managing the worst possible outcomes. The key difference between them being that Jack was motivated by a sadistic boredom, while Taylor is only interested in protecting as many people as possible.

Fellwenner posted:

Also got another hint of something between Tattletale and Taylor, or is that just me?

Something? You mean like something amorous? No, I think that's just you.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Decided to binge through everything over the weekend. Worm is really above any other web serial I've ever read. It manages to sidestep the problems of pretty much every other one that's been recommended to me thus far.

There really isn't all that much out there, is there? So much of it seems like it could be decent (at least at a concept level), but then you're hit in the face with the author's desire to insert their fetishes/media obsessions/lack of editorial oversight into things.

Is there a way we can discuss bad web serials? I feel like that's a much more fertile ground for discussion, at least in terms of discussing the sheer degrees of horribleness out there. It's always a shame to see worldbuilding fall to fetishes, but that seems to be what the internet does to writers.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Hedningen posted:

Decided to binge through everything over the weekend. Worm is really above any other web serial I've ever read. It manages to sidestep the problems of pretty much every other one that's been recommended to me thus far.

There really isn't all that much out there, is there? So much of it seems like it could be decent (at least at a concept level), but then you're hit in the face with the author's desire to insert their fetishes/media obsessions/lack of editorial oversight into things.

Is there a way we can discuss bad web serials? I feel like that's a much more fertile ground for discussion, at least in terms of discussing the sheer degrees of horribleness out there. It's always a shame to see worldbuilding fall to fetishes, but that seems to be what the internet does to writers.

Mocking all the terrible web fiction doesn't really fit the tone of this thread, maybe make a new one?

Anyhoo yeah, after I caught up on Worm I went looking for other decent web serials, hoping against hope that I'd tapped into some wonderful new world of storytelling. I was quickly disappointed. Alas the internet is still the internet and 99.99% of everything on it is still utter garbage.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Skippy McPants posted:

Anyhoo yeah, after I caught up on Worm I went looking for other decent web serials, hoping against hope that I'd tapped into some wonderful new world of storytelling. I was quickly disappointed. Alas the internet is still the internet and 99.99% of everything on it is still utter garbage.

I'm just thankful I discovered this 0.01%.

r0ff13c0p73r
Sep 6, 2008
Who was the third endbringer that Doctor Mother was talking about ?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

r0ff13c0p73r posted:

Who was the third endbringer that Doctor Mother was talking about ?

Tohu. Or Bohu, whichever one it was that showed up. The one that hasn't showed is the only 'unclaimed' Endbringer at the moment. Khonsu was sold by Teacher to Cauldron, the PRT/Wards have Leviathan and ..Bohu?, and Taylor's group has the Simurgh. :gonk:

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

hollylolly posted:

Tohu. Or Bohu, whichever one it was that showed up. The one that hasn't showed is the only 'unclaimed' Endbringer at the moment. Khonsu was sold by Teacher to Cauldron, the PRT/Wards have Leviathan and ..Bohu?, and Taylor's group has the Simurgh. :gonk:

And the best part is, only Taylor's group really recognizes that they don't really have any significant control over the Endbringers at all. It's merely cooperation, not even alliance between common foes.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Whichever of Tohu and Bohu is the giant one is the third one on the Undersiders... payroll? They have Levi, Simmy and Bohu, Teacher sold Khonsu to Cauldron, and I don't think it's been revealed what happened to Tohu yet.

On another note, thinking about the mist thing... is anyone else slightly worried, even now, that Crawler might be able to regenerate from red mist status back into crawler status? Even more so if he would regenerate into multiple Crawlers...

More to the point, was it ever mentioned whether anyone had managed to cut him in half, and if so, what happened?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

On another note, thinking about the mist thing... is anyone else slightly worried, even now, that Crawler might be able to regenerate from red mist status back into crawler status? Even more so if he would regenerate into multiple Crawlers...

More to the point, was it ever mentioned whether anyone had managed to cut him in half, and if so, what happened?

Red mist? Crawler wasn't disintegrated, he was turned into some kind of glass by one of Bakuda's bombs. He wasn't ever cut in half, but in 12.x Scrub did remove large chunks of his body, including a considerable potion of his brain. It didn't seem to cause him more than a few moments consternation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

thespaceinvader posted:

Wormverse regenerators all seem to have a core of some sort. Bust the core and they're bust. Hookwolf, Echnida, the Endbringers all consider non-core damage to be superficial, while the core itself is incredibly resilient.

• Locked thread