Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

You don't have to ice murder him just because he's blind and lumpy! If he's still eating and swimming he's probably not suffering. When the time comes though, isn't clove oil supposed to be more humane than freezing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Stoca Zola posted:

You don't have to ice murder him just because he's blind and lumpy! If he's still eating and swimming he's probably not suffering. When the time comes though, isn't clove oil supposed to be more humane than freezing?
I've heard that clove oil actually paralyzes the fish, so it's still conscious for a time but can't do anything about it. I don't know if that's true or not though. I think the most humane way is to take a rock to it, but I know a lot of people understandably have a hard time doing that.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

-Inu- posted:

I've heard that clove oil actually paralyzes the fish, so it's still conscious for a time but can't do anything about it. I don't know if that's true or not though. I think the most humane way is to take a rock to it, but I know a lot of people understandably have a hard time doing that.

I agree with the blunt trauma method. Quick and painless. Freezing is probably ok too but the quicker the better. Also that fish is in misery even if it is swimming and eating, its probably wishing a bigger fish would eat it.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
Would that betta be considered to have clamped fins? I've heard the term but never really understood exactly what it looks like.

Keep us posted on that poor betta, I want to know if it's possible to recover from that or if you end up having to euthanize him. :(

republicant fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 30, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thats not really a recoverable sort of situation unless the tumors decide to spontaneously fall off. Another reason to avoid metallic bettas, they're prone to this.

It's just so hard to resist though when you look at them and they're so gorgeous and healthy in the store and you think this guy's going to beat the odds. :smith:

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Stopped by the shop to pick up the Bolivian rams I ordered to re-stock my 75, and the guy had the most beautiful blue angelfish I've ever seen. Most everything else he had is really marbled but this one had vertical bars instead. He's trying to get $50 out of it and for once I'd say that's a really good price. Like...holy poo poo was that a pretty fish.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
My puffers are starting to show their first signs of aggression, whenever they see the CAE they try to nip his fins. Really glad they didn't go in my community tank full of potential prey. I feel bad for the CAE and he needs to go back to the store ASAP for his own safety, not even anyone else's. Will probably keep him in a breeding net until we can get to Petco. It's weird since AqAdvisor warned that he would eat the puffers and it's the other way around, but I guess fish dynamics are really weird and unpredictable.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Why are you trying to fix your boyfriend's problems anyway? His own tank stuffed to the brim with dead incompatible fish sounds like the only way he'll figure this out.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
I just feel bad for the little CAE, even if he is going to be a vicious fish-vampire one day I hate seeing him get chased. That probably is the only way he'll learn though, first-hand.

republicant fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jul 30, 2015

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

republicant posted:

That probably is the only way he'll learn though, first-hand.

Even if your boyfriend is hopeless at least you share an interest in the hobby and hopefully he can only get better and more educated from here, not worse. I'm at the point of "No I don't think it's a good idea to get another tank" with mine and asking him to drop a pinch of flakes in the tank would be a pretty big ask. He is starting to get a little more interested recently, I've caught him watching the baby guppies and the snails going up the glass, possibly because that tank is at eye level - but he would never get his hands wet let alone buy a fish or help set up a tank. The most involvement I've had is getting him to help me lift the empty tanks into place when they were new.

expensive jeans
Jun 20, 2003

r0ck0 posted:

That is one ugly fish. You should just put him in a glass of water and stick it in the freezer.
He's still beautiful to me, damnit! :colbert: Yeah, I'll have to euthanize him eventually and I have a bottle of clove oil for when the time comes. I definitely don't have the heart to squish him!

SynthOrange posted:

Thats not really a recoverable sort of situation unless the tumors decide to spontaneously fall off. Another reason to avoid metallic bettas, they're prone to this.

It's just so hard to resist though when you look at them and they're so gorgeous and healthy in the store and you think this guy's going to beat the odds. :smith:
Ahh, I was wondering if it was a result of genetic defects. I wish there was more information out there about the kind of health problems metallic bettas develop. :sigh:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

So it seems that PetSMART is doing a similar $1/g sale as Petco right now on their 10, 20 and 40g tanks. Even better, if you buy online for in-store pickup you save another 10%.

http://www.petsmart.com/gsi/webstor...EvBkJ7n71KRHuWw

Those 40g breeder tanks for $40 $36 can't be beat.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
My SO brought the Chinese algae eater back to the pet store, and he brought home two amano shrimp and an upside down catfish to put in his 10 gallon with four dwarf puffers. I guess it fell on deaf ears when I told him his tank was at 101% stocking level with only the puffers in there... Oh well, nothing is going in my community tank so it's his problem.

My betta keeps acting sick and stressed when every single other creature in the tank is fine. He doesn't seem to be constipated, he looks completely fine physically. He'll just randomly list so badly that he almost lays horizontally on the gravel, then snap out of it and sail off across the tank like nothing's wrong. Is it normal for just one fish in a whole tank to be unusually sensitive to water quality? I just did the weekly water change a couple days ago so I dunno.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Swim bladder/balance issues in betta can be as simple as constipation. What're you feeding him?

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
Usually alternate between basic color-enhancing betta pellets and betta flakes with brine shrimp mixed in. I've read that the flakes can be constipating so that's why I alternate with pellets; I think he prefers the flakes. It's hard to stop him from eating food intended for the other tank residents though, so he has access to "tropical crisps" (basically fish flakes with a different texture) and "veggie micro pellets" for the bottom feeders.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Will bettas eat mashed peeled blanched pea? I just read that they can get constipated by eating too much and should be fasted for three days before trying some pea. Also if you show him a mirror or another betta the exercise he gets from flaring at it can help him pass a constipated poo. Supposedly his stomach is only as big as his eye so if he's eating more than that no wonder he's getting blocked up. If you have an in-tank breeder box it might be a good way to keep him in nice warm water while separating him from stealing everyone else's food, rather than having to set up a quarantine tank. It would also let you more easily see if he's still pooping and what the poops are like if he's confined.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

republicant posted:

he brought home two amano shrimp and an upside down catfish to put in his 10 gallon with four dwarf puffers.

Lobster dinner?

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
Well he brought home a random assortment of snails and put one in my tank. The rest of the snails in the container are dead and there's a big white mystery worm wiggling around. Honestly at this point I'm ready to end our 2.5 year relationship and go move away somewhere with my fish where he can't try to kill them constantly.

republicant fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 1, 2015

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Assassin snail? I wouldn't have thought they'd operate that fast though. And if that's what he did jeez you loved those snails and I would have thought that was pretty obvious. I take back what I said before, what an arsehole! RIP snails :(

Or wait do you mean he brought home snails and they all died but one due to being left in a container.... Either way is not good.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
<I made the mistake of posting while overly emotional, disregard>

republicant fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Aug 1, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Put the bf in a tank problem solved.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
Any ideas on freshwater fish that could eat a human?

SuperGinger!
Sep 29, 2007
my hair burns with the fire of a thousand suns

Does anyone know what this is? I found it in my pond snail and cherry shrimp tank. It looks like a shrimp mixed with a pill bug. It's very shrimp-like but then the back half curls inwards. I have a few of them and instead of swimming around and exploring like my other shrimp, they stick to the gravel.

Are they harmful to the tank? The snails and shrimp are being used as GSP food.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

A freshwater scud? Most likely not harmful and can be used for food same as a shrimp by the looks.

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 1, 2015

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
It looks kinda cute at least, if nothing else.

expensive jeans
Jun 20, 2003

republicant posted:

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

republicant posted:

Nah, go with the dreaded candiru.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

republicant posted:

sturgeon?

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Wish I could get a decent picture but all day long my big male turquoise rainbow fish as been in hardcore :pervert: mode and he looks so great right now. Super dark blue with that bright orange stripe flashing like a lighthouse. He is a good fish.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

SuperGinger! posted:

Does anyone know what this is? I found it in my pond snail and cherry shrimp tank. It looks like a shrimp mixed with a pill bug. It's very shrimp-like but then the back half curls inwards. I have a few of them and instead of swimming around and exploring like my other shrimp, they stick to the gravel.

Are they harmful to the tank? The snails and shrimp are being used as GSP food.

Yes, is a scud. I had tons once, before I threw some catfish fry into my pleco fry tank, and forgot they were there. Millions of scuds down to maybe a dozen in a month until I realized what had happened.

They are good little scavengers and make for good live treats. Mine always kept to the duckweed and man do they love to eat!

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
I noticed that my mystery snail had detached himself from the glass and was just floating around the top of the tank so I ran over to make sure he wasn't dead. He got carried by the current to about the middle of the tank and let out an air bubble, a few more air bubbles came out and he steadily sank until he landed on the gravel and crawled off toward wherever he thought he needed to be. This snail comes up with the most brilliant ways to get around the tank and it's always so hilarious to watch. I'm getting more and more tempted to just buy another 20 gallon and fill it with snails.

republicant fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Aug 3, 2015

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Last winter my wife persuaded me to get a betta tank. I know gently caress all about fishkeeping, but I know bettas are tropical and we tend to keep the temperature low so I get a heater and a thermometer. The lovely little heater we got could barely keep the tank up to ~73 degrees, but it seemed consistent enough and fish seems healthy and happy, so I guess everything's good.

8 months later, it's summertime and our betta is mysteriously lethargic. He just sits limply in the corner of the tank opposite the heater. After checking the thermometer it turns out that when the house gets to 73+ during the day the lovely little heater (which does not have a thermostat) is apparently keeping the tank at 78-79. After doing some research it turns out that this is apparently a much more appropriate temperature for our betta, but he seems absolutely miserable. Turned it off during the last few heat waves and he seems to be back to his usual self.

I'm pretty sure our next step is to get a better heater, but in the future would it be better to keep the temperature at the barely-adequate ranges he's lived at so far, or should we work on warming up the tank more? If we adjust the temperature very gradually will he get used to a newer, more tropical temperature norm?

thousandcranes
Sep 25, 2007

I wonder if the problem might be the accuracy if the thermometer?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
I've always kept my betta aquariums at 78 which is what we keep our house max during summer and winter of course where it gets to 74.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
Have you checked ammonia and nitrite levels? I believe they're much more harmful at higher temperatures and in a 78 degree tank my betta is very sensitive to bad water quality, it makes him sick and lethargic like you described. Try doing a good water change and see if anything changes, it may not be the temperature itself but a side effect of it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
That could be it, I just checked and ammonia has creeped up to 0.25ppm (was 0 last time I checked, although that was over a month ago--which was incidentally before it got hot). Is this a "change the water more aggressively and stop spilling extra food so often" situation, or do I need to be looking into more extreme measures?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah you'd want to change water more often, say a weekly basis and check the ammonia levels. If it's still above 0 in a few weeks then start looking harder.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Thanks to what feels like unending rain my back yard has I'm guessing...500 gallons of water in it? It's sooooo tempting to toss a bunch of goldfish into it so I can watch fish inside and outside the house. Maybe guppies too, for mosquito control you understand.

In non-pipe dream news corydoras rule and watching my little group root around in a group is soothing. So happy just sifting through the sand :3:

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Shakenbaker posted:

In non-pipe dream news corydoras rule and watching my little group root around in a group is soothing. So happy just sifting through the sand :3:

Last time I was at the local fish store they had some tiny panda cories but I didn't get any since my sand based tank hadn't finished cycling. Your post made me want to go and check again since the tank is better established now, and I wanted to get some extra penguin tetras anyway.

They had some really sad fin rotted bronze cories in with the penguin tetras (which were only an inch long and thus too small) so I didn't really want to buy either due to obvious disease. There were some healthy looking pepper cories one tank over but it looked like they were on the same water system so I didn't want to risk contamination. No shrimp substrate, which I wanted, and no filter wool. I ended up just getting a filter pad which I can fold up and I'm cured of ever wanting to buy fish from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I want to redo my 10g with sand now. Just... not sure what to do about these loaches.