Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enziarro
Sep 4, 2004

I'm not an angel - I'm a Galactic Pioneer.
I wouldn't throw a full size procambarus clarkii in a 30G with a bunch of dopey livebearers and cherry shrimp, but the cambarellus species generally max out around 1.5-2" overall. While they're still crayfish / moderately aggressive as small decapods go, you probably wouldn't have any problems with those little guys.

edit: photos for top of p59

enziarro fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Really blurry picture of our Betta, Opossum. So named because he sat still on the bottom of tank a few minutes after we added him, wife thought he was dead.

I'll try to get some better pictures later, as well of my 20g that I'm working on. I'm making an artificial cave out of some stones and silicon, and also a tunnel out of PVC some time in the future. There are currently 4 plants in there, all of which are possibly dying. (drat you petsmart!)

He's at the point where he'll follow me around his tank, if I'm in the kitchen he'll swim around on that side, and if i move to the living room he's on that side just watching me. When I reach into the tank with a pipette (the way I feed him) he will instantly swim up to the surface. He does have some problems with food, he just can't eat big bites so he 'chews' on them and spits them out a few times, then if the food sinks he forgets he was eating. I have to grab the food if it ever goes below him and drop it back on top of the water so he notices it. I have frozen brine shrimp, frozen bloodworms, and pellets.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

This heat wave we're having in SoCal killed one of my enders :(. The water is so warm I had to add ice tonight to coll it down a bit. I'll have to add more ice tomorrow morning and cross my fingers no more fish die until I get home in the evening :(. I also hope the sudden changes in temperature don't kill them either.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ice, water changes, and pointing a fan at the water surface will all help keep temps down. Good luck with the heatwave.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
So this got posted in the bad webcomics thread and I figured you lot would appreciate it:

They really are like little dogs :kimchi:

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Chichevache posted:

I guess the first step would be to find out what the PH of your tapwater is. Have you measured it yet?

Sorry I took forever to get to this. My tapwater sits around 7.6 according to these tests. The water in my new tank is currently around 6.4-6.6 but its still cycling so I'm not sure if its just related to that.

If the ph is way off is there anything I can add to my tank once that will take care of things forever? Just want a nice and normal planted tank with some fish.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If you want a set once and leave it forever solution you might as well just plant what your tank water can support. That said, most freshwater species do fine in slightly acidic water. Check your general and carbonate hardness as well, as those can also affect your ph and what you can do about it, and see what that ph ends up at. What kind of plants are you looking at?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

w00tmonger posted:

Sorry I took forever to get to this. My tapwater sits around 7.6 according to these tests. The water in my new tank is currently around 6.4-6.6 but its still cycling so I'm not sure if its just related to that.

If the ph is way off is there anything I can add to my tank once that will take care of things forever? Just want a nice and normal planted tank with some fish.

Is there a reason your tap water and tank water are so different? What is in your tank?

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

My snail got out of the tank sometime last night and can't find it :qq:

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Chichevache posted:

Is there a reason your tap water and tank water are so different? What is in your tank?

Only things in the new tank are some plants to Kickstart it (couldn't tell you which), Some landscaping rocks (river rock) , and some driftwood. My other tank has a more reasonably similar pH, which makes me wonder if it's either the rock, or the pH is just weird because it's still cycling and things are just sorting themselves out.

If this isn't temporary, I can only guess that it's my rock?

Edit: VVVVV I'm reading through this, and Im pretty sure its at least not limestone as I did the whole vinegar test. Thanks though!

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 16, 2014

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

w00tmonger posted:

Only things in the new tank are some plants to Kickstart it (couldn't tell you which), Some landscaping rocks (river rock) , and some driftwood. My other tank has a more reasonably similar pH, which makes me wonder if it's either the rock, or the pH is just weird because it's still cycling and things are just sorting themselves out.

Here is a good read on aquarium rocks..

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/rock_metals.php

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

w00tmonger posted:

Edit: VVVVV I'm reading through this, and Im pretty sure its at least not limestone as I did the whole vinegar test. Thanks though!

Could be your driftwood too. I know a lot of wood leeches tanins into the water and shift the ph balance towards acidic.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
That too.. w00t is your water tea colored by any chance?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

No its looking pretty clear. There has been some white poo poo forming on the stumps of my driftwood, so I was wondering if it might have been related.If it is tanins, is it a permanent thing?

I do have a bit of a brown algae bloom at the moment but again, just cycling.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

w00tmonger posted:

No its looking pretty clear. There has been some white poo poo forming on the stumps of my driftwood, so I was wondering if it might have been related.If it is tanins, is it a permanent thing?

The white fuzzy gunk is normal.. it will eventually go away. Tannins make your water look like watered down tea and unless you take out the wood and boil the poo poo out of it, it won't go away anytime soon. My 20L is three years old now and still the water is dark from the tannins.

The brown algae is brown diatoms, another normal thing in a newer aquarium.. so far everything as expected.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

w00tmonger posted:

Well if it is your decorations, and I can't imagine what else it could be, your water will probably be acidic as long as you have them. You'll have to keep that in mind when picking your stock.

Sostratos
Jun 28, 2004
Nitrification in an aquarium tends to drive ph down over time. The bacteria that convert ammonia to nitrite stop functioning if the ph drops too low, so you'll want to find out what's going wrong if you want to save your cycling progress.

You might want to get your hands on a gh/kh test kit so you can make sure your water has a stable kh buffer to avoid ph issues. The nitrogen cycle and plant metabolism both can deplete your kh buffer, so keeping on top of things on the front end will save you lots of stress in the long run. No kh buffer = wild ph swings and an eventual ph crash. You can use some crushed coral in your filter to maintain the buffer and keep things stable.

tokomon
Aug 23, 2007

:3: SCALE ITCH :3:

Shakenbaker posted:

So this got posted in the bad webcomics thread and I figured you lot would appreciate it:

They really are like little dogs :kimchi:

Agh. Makes me miss the puffer I had as a kid. She'd come up to the top of the tank to be pet and was just the sweetest fish. :3:
When my saltwater tank finally collapsed, it was just her and the sea anemone left.

Did a partial change of the tank today. Discovered a white fuzzy gunky blob right about where the shrimp I call King poo poo likes to squat and wave his arms around like a guido yelling at someone at the deli across the street. Assuming it was forming from uneaten food and the fact that no other shrimp dares to go near that corner.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Chido posted:

My snail got out of the tank sometime last night and can't find it :qq:

Don't worry, you'll be able to smell it soon :ohdear:

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
I've kept fish before and have quit keeping fish forever several times. I kinda want to start again, but my house is made of stairs and hauling buckets around gets awkward. What's the easiest way to do water changes?

Sostratos
Jun 28, 2004
You could get a water changer like a Python. It hooks up to the faucet on your sink and can drain and fill with one hose. It's a lot easier than using buckets.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Sostratos posted:

You could get a water changer like a Python. It hooks up to the faucet on your sink and can drain and fill with one hose. It's a lot easier than using buckets.

My big tank is far from any faucets. Any others?

kaosAG
Oct 14, 2005

w00tmonger posted:

My big tank is far from any faucets. Any others?

Go out and buy as much extra hose as you need? It's ludicrously easy to add length to a python/similar waterchanging device thingies.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Sostratos posted:

I had been worried about water draining and something going drastically wrong in another room, but that doesn't seem to be a concern. I guess I have a lot to think about now.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Sostratos posted:

WHAT IS THIS WIZARDRY I REQUIRE IT NOW because seriously, gently caress buckets. I have weak-rear end little shrimp arms and 5 gallon buckets are just so heavy.

Edit: 50 foot version

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Aaaand the snail is back in the tank. It just showed up in it this morning. I'm pretty sure it got out because it's a 5 gallon tank and I took the only driftwood piece I have out to look for it, it was nowhere to be found :tinfoil:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What kind of snail is it? It's possible it just buried itself in the substrate. (or was hanging on the underside of the driftwood? :laugh:)

And with those Pythons, how do you add dechlorinator? goes directly in the tank and hope it all works right away?

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

I think it's a nerite snail. it's very round, about half an inch big, and the shell is dark brown with very dark stripes. I checked the wood, but i never thought about it burying itself in the gravel :O

It looks like these ones.
http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server3200/zjvg3/products/234/images/401/IMG_38382__80228.1408641281.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=163420

Looks like they've caused more than a few panics by hiding themselves. Apparently they're also good at climbing out of water too.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
So I learned something yesterday...Tuna is like catnip for shrimp. I had some white Albacore I was snacking on right out of the can, and the fish were begging. I can't resist them when they do that, so I dropped a little piece in which they all focused on and tore up. The second went unnoticed into the back corner and I figured they'll find it later. Not a chance. 5 minutes after, every, and I do mean EVERY shrimp in the tank was on top of it going wild. Even the ones on the far side went running over to the corner. The pile looked about 4 inches across, everything from dinky babies to the adults, I half expected to see them rolling around on it.
The moment it was gone they dispersed save a few to scavenge the aroma followed by a couple snails that ran a final cleanup check. I know they handle stuff like that, I just had no idea they'd go so nuts over it.

Sostratos
Jun 28, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

And with those Pythons, how do you add dechlorinator? goes directly in the tank and hope it all works right away?

Dechlorinator works almost instantly. Add it directly to your tank and let it disperse for a few minutes, then refill.

mindofme
May 19, 2003

Learn trispace and never have to think about math again!
I love my python system, although i use it for the removal and gravel cleaning only. Our tapwater is very high in chlorine and ammonia, so I just do 2% water changes every other day. First I fill a gallon bucket and add SeaChem SAFE and let it degas overnight, then use Python to siphon out the water, and add my new water.

It works really slick and my tank looks fantastic.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've been using a Python to fill my tanks directly for probably 15 years now without a problem. I do 100+ gallons a week in water changes on all my tanks, so I can't even imagine using buckets. I use this pump to drain the tanks though. The Python uses running water to create siphon for draining, and wastes a ton of water on larger jobs.

enziarro
Sep 4, 2004

I'm not an angel - I'm a Galactic Pioneer.

SocketWrench posted:

So I learned something yesterday...Tuna is like catnip for shrimp. I had some white Albacore I was snacking on right out of the can, and the fish were begging. I can't resist them when they do that, so I dropped a little piece in which they all focused on and tore up. The second went unnoticed into the back corner and I figured they'll find it later. Not a chance. 5 minutes after, every, and I do mean EVERY shrimp in the tank was on top of it going wild. Even the ones on the far side went running over to the corner. The pile looked about 4 inches across, everything from dinky babies to the adults, I half expected to see them rolling around on it.
The moment it was gone they dispersed save a few to scavenge the aroma followed by a couple snails that ran a final cleanup check. I know they handle stuff like that, I just had no idea they'd go so nuts over it.

I just gave my shrimps a shred of chunk light in water from the can that was going to the cats and HAHAHA HOLY poo poo. If you have shrimp, do this now.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
gently caress, I am going to have to try this just to see what it is all about. My RCS go nuts when it is feeding time and they descend on my giant moss tree like a plague of locusts, I can only imagine what this might do?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Somebody get video.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Chichevache posted:

Somebody get video.

This. Also, I've never had an oscar that was so prone to beating himself up. Every now and then he gets into a brawl with the heater and then sometimes thrashes around into the gravel. At first I was worried about parasites by I don't see any signs of them and my water keeps checking out fine. He's always missing scales.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
I wish I'd gotten it, it was a complete fluke given the fish normally maul any food like (and even non food) stuff that hits the water. I'd try again but it's sleepy time for everyone.

Edit;
Tried to film it this morning at feeding time, but once the Swordtail found it, the shrimp weren't left in peace.

I am having a new issue though, I have three adult Mollies whom all the fry came from, there's a definite ranking order amongst them. The silver-est one being the leader and the blackest the bottom rung. I've noticed one or two of the now small juvenile Mollies will occasionally peck at that bottom rung Molly. She never swims away, just tucks her upper fin down, puts up with it till they tire, then continues on like nothing happened.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Sep 22, 2014

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
The struggle is real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Dantu posted:

Every now and then he gets into a brawl with the heater

God, I love oscars. :allears: