Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Petco had a sale a few weeks back where every size tank was a buck a gallon. Maybe you can find something similar? The fish place I went to for my corys had about 6 fancy goldfish in a 30 gallon with plastic plants - they just did a partial water replacement every week. If you do keep them, just be prepared to be in it for the long haul - goldfish can live for several decades. If you're up to it, though, goldfish can be super impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

So... they hatched, or something. :confused:

What do I do now? They're just in a tupperware container with water from the tank and the piece of the plant the eggs were attached to. What do they eat? Do they eat? Do I even want to keep whatever they are?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cant make out what the hell those are. Snails? Do you want snails? (Look at the thread title)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I imagine the answer to "Do I want snails?" is "Not unless they're really cool looking snails." How long until they're big enough to find out if they're cool looking snails, and is there a safe number of snails to have in an aquarium (or is there a common fish that eats snails to keep them under control but won't eat my betta or my pigmy corys)?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've got a few snails puttering around a small 1gal bowl with only water and plants in it. Pest snails are usually very hardy. A couple of weeks should let you know. If its a hermaphrodite species they will quickly expand to the limits in the tank (food, competition) so safe number is a little useless there. Loaches will eat snails. Chain loaches are the smallest of the snaileating ones.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 22, 2014

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

This is awesome.

I want to see pictures of this.

What size is the tank? I will totally make a cult inspired background/ship carve some slate into an altar...whatever is needed to help these fish find their god.

Best picture I could get with my cellphone. It's a 20 gallon long, they all stay in that corner hovering around the firemouth, which never moves from the bottom of the plastic plant. In 21 years of fishkeeping I've never seen anything quite like this.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
^ You've got yourself some Monolith fish. Don't make any wishes near the tank

KillHour posted:

So... they hatched, or something. :confused:

What do I do now? They're just in a tupperware container with water from the tank and the piece of the plant the eggs were attached to. What do they eat? Do they eat? Do I even want to keep whatever they are?

Ramshorn away! They eat whatever you throw in that decays. It all depends on what you want to do. I had an infestation but with the shrimp and the Chinese rear end in a top hat in there, they keep them in check (the algae eater eats them while the shrimp keep the extra food and such cleaned up). So they're not total pests and actually do some work. But again, depends on your preferences.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 22, 2014

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Something neat about those Pothos I hung in the tank, all the root growth since has been straight down and continues to grow trying to find the gravel. Kinda hoping the whole mess of roots does and give the shrimp some extra jungle

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Neitherman posted:

If I were 5 I'd probably enjoy the idea of a few panda corys. They're small, have a whimsical name, and look pretty cute. I'm just not sure how compatible they'd be with a male betta, though I assume if you give them some hiding spots they would be just fine.

Then again, I've seen from people in this thread that they reproduce like crazy, so maybe not...
Cory Fry Become Betta Food Becomes Betta Poop Becomes Cory Food.

Also Shrimp.

Get a shrimp.

EDIT:

quote:

I imagine the answer to "Do I want snails?" is "Not unless they're really cool looking snails." How long until they're big enough to find out if they're cool looking snails, and is there a safe number of snails to have in an aquarium (or is there a common fish that eats snails to keep them under control but won't eat my betta or my pigmy corys)?Do I know anyone with Puffers? Or Do I want One?

Fixed that for you.

SkaAndScreenplays fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Oct 25, 2014

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Apparently zebra loaches and sterbai corydoras aren't a very good mix. Three of my cories are missing their eyes now :cry: Looks like I'm going to have to rearrange some tanks.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

Cory Fry Become Betta Food Becomes Betta Poop Becomes Cory Food.

Also Shrimp.

Get a shrimp.

EDIT:

Fixed that for you.

Shrimp are awesome. I have a couple bamboo shrimp and they cruise around all over in my 15 gallon tank pretty much eating constantly. Nerite snails are pretty awesome too though and they don't breed unless you put them in brackish water.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
I think I've got over 500 red cherries in my 55. I was able to scoop a net and without effort came up with at least a dozen.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Those corys cleaned the gently caress out of my tank. I'm almost worried they're gonna starve now that there's not bits of food lying around everywhere. :ohdear:

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Would a 5.5 gallon tank be enough for enough white cloud minnows or the neon tetras for them to be happy plus a cherry shrimp?

aerialsilks
Nov 28, 2013

please stop telling me about how you "humanely euthanized" your hamster by drowning it in its ball
So, I've got a serious Malaysian trumpet snail infestation. Somehow, they've made it out of my 5.5 gallon into my 4 gallon and my larger tank. What's the best way to deal with them in the other two tanks? The 5.5 is getting nuked anyway but I've probably netted about 100+ snails out of it in just the last hour or so. The larger tank is platys, danios, cory cats, kuhlii loaches. The loaches will occasionally eat the ramshorns that pop up in the tank but I don't think they have the motivation to dig for the MTS's. The 4 gallon is cherry shrimp and a trio of lampeye killies.

Karl Sharks posted:

Would a 5.5 gallon tank be enough for enough white cloud minnows or the neon tetras for them to be happy plus a cherry shrimp?

The minnows/neons might fare decently in there as long as you're keeping on top of your water changes, but you're going to want to start with like 10+ cherries. At least in my experience, anyway, they die off pretty fast when there's not enough of them to really get breeding.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Cut back on the food. Perhaps try the old boiled lettuce trick. Once they reach the limits of the food supply the numbers will die

As far as the shrimp go, yeah, do them first if possible, let them establish a colony first because the fish will scare them to the point the females might drop their eggs or just keep the shrimp hiding too much. Larger tanks with more hiding spaces this isn't a real big problem, but small spaces like that....

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Oct 28, 2014

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

aerialsilks posted:

The minnows/neons might fare decently in there as long as you're keeping on top of your water changes, but you're going to want to start with like 10+ cherries. At least in my experience, anyway, they die off pretty fast when there's not enough of them to really get breeding.

Would there be enough room for that many? Roommates already went and bought the tank, so might be a bit stuck with that.

aerialsilks
Nov 28, 2013

please stop telling me about how you "humanely euthanized" your hamster by drowning it in its ball

Karl Sharks posted:

Would there be enough room for that many? Roommates already went and bought the tank, so might be a bit stuck with that.

Dwarf freshwater shrimps can generally be stocked at about 10 per gallon, give or take a few depending on availability of food and water quality, etc. At their peak I had about 60ish in my 4 gallon. Lack of new blood was inevitably what slowed them down, since I haven't been able to get them recently.

SocketWrench posted:

Cut back on the food. Perhaps try the old boiled lettuce trick. Once they reach the limits of the food supply the numbers will die.

I'll try the lettuce trick. I already don't feed my fish very much, but I have a feeling the snails might mostly be eating leftover garbage in the floramax since I can't really vacuum that.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

aerialsilks posted:

Dwarf freshwater shrimps can generally be stocked at about 10 per gallon, give or take a few depending on availability of food and water quality, etc. At their peak I had about 60ish in my 4 gallon. Lack of new blood was inevitably what slowed them down, since I haven't been able to get them recently.

Let me tell you a story about my 55 gallon and how many shrimp currently call it home.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

demonR6 posted:

Let me tell you a story about my 55 gallon and how many shrimp currently call it home.

I used to have a ton of shrimp in my 55. A month after adding a dozen zebra loaches I can't find a single one.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I have a clown loach, two zebra loaches, a GBR, schools of cories, cardinal tetra and celestial pearl danios.. ooh and a few otos. Still there are hundreds and hundreds of shrimp.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

My shrimp population disappeared after I added my diy co2 system. It didnt kill them but it slowed them down enough for the loaches to eat them all.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

aerialsilks posted:

So, I've got a serious Malaysian trumpet snail infestation. Somehow, they've made it out of my 5.5 gallon into my 4 gallon and my larger tank. What's the best way to deal with them in the other two tanks? The 5.5 is getting nuked anyway but I've probably netted about 100+ snails out of it in just the last hour or so. The larger tank is platys, danios, cory cats, kuhlii loaches. The loaches will occasionally eat the ramshorns that pop up in the tank but I don't think they have the motivation to dig for the MTS's. The 4 gallon is cherry shrimp and a trio of lampeye killies.

The easiest way to control an MTS population is to not overfeed. The second easiest, and the method I use once a year or so, is to deliberately overfeed a sinking wafer type food with the lights off, and then turn the lights on and collect a bunch by hand. I currently owe someone a bunch of them, so I spent a whole 5 minutes or so tonight and collected 50+. Since the bigger ones are easier to collect, it's a quick and easy way to reduce the bio-load, and it has a lingering effect since the smaller they are the fewer baby snails they can pump out.

Completely eliminating them? That I do not know. Copper based meds are supposed to kill inverts, but the couple of times I've had to use them in the past I still had plenty of live MTS. Maybe completely break the tank down and boil everything and re-cycle the tank?

Edit: Forgot about Assassin Snails.

Desert Bus fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Oct 31, 2014

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

+1 on the not overfeeding to control MTS. I used to think I wasn't overfeeding, but the drat MTS kept getting more and more out of control, to the point that the front glass would be 50% covered by them. A month after cutting back from two meals a day to one, and the fish are still fine but the MTS are hardly noticeable anymore.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Enos Cabell posted:

+1 on the not overfeeding to control MTS. I used to think I wasn't overfeeding, but the drat MTS kept getting more and more out of control, to the point that the front glass would be 50% covered by them. A month after cutting back from two meals a day to one, and the fish are still fine but the MTS are hardly noticeable anymore.

I'm an adherent of the "low and slow" method of feeding fish. I feed my fish every 3-5 days, on average, and have at times not fed them for 7-10 days. Sure they grow slower, but the water quality stays great and I've seen a few sources saying that fish that aren't power-fed tend to end up healthier and more colorful. The only downside is that predatory fish are more likely to go after any edible tank mates, but proper stocking solves that issue. I can't even imagine how many MTS I'd end up with if I fed daily, not to mention I couldn't get away with missing a water change as often as I do.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

In my opinion fish are always best scaled, dredged in seasoned flour, and pan fried until the skin is crispy. Sauces shouldn't really be necessary - just a spritz of lemon juice and a little salt should do it - but if you want to get fancy stick to spring/summer herbs. Dill is a particular favorite of mine.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

bartolimu posted:

In my opinion fish are always best scaled, dredged in seasoned flour, and pan fried until the skin is crispy. Sauces shouldn't really be necessary - just a spritz of lemon juice and a little salt should do it - but if you want to get fancy stick to spring/summer herbs. Dill is a particular favorite of mine.

The main problem with eating aquarium fish, according to people who have eaten them, is that their flesh tends to take on the flavor of fish food. You'd need to cook them using methods that would overwhelm that awful flavor. I suppose if you plan ahead and spend a few weeks feeding the fish a more natural diet of plants and animals that issue could be ameliorated.

Also, welcome to Pet Island new Mod!

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Why do bucktooth tetra have to be so drat hard to breed? I want like, 70 of the evil fuckers, but at $7 a pop? :sigh:

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Volkerball posted:

Why do bucktooth tetra have to be so drat hard to breed? I want like, 70 of the evil fuckers, but at $7 a pop? :sigh:

Have you checked to see if your LFS can get you a bulk discount on them? All the info I can find on breeding them agrees with your conclusion of "drat hard."

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Desert Bus posted:

Have you checked to see if your LFS can get you a bulk discount on them? All the info I can find on breeding them agrees with your conclusion of "drat hard."

No, not yet. I might just snag 20 of them and a dedicated non-display tank to try my hand at breeding them. I'd like to do a planted tank with a bunch of those and a handful of piranhas. They seem to really compliment each other in feeding to create that frenzy I'm after without needing a tank that will fit 15 red bellies. It'd be a lot easier if I could breed them, because they like to pick out the bitch of the group and beat him to death, and of course the piranhas will snag one if it gets lazy, and it would get old fast having to replace them. But I've got to be careful, because their school can actually dominate a tank that has timid piranhas in it and stress them out. So too many can cause problems.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Desert Bus posted:

Completely eliminating them? That I do not know. Copper based meds are supposed to kill inverts, but the couple of times I've had to use them in the past I still had plenty of live MTS. Maybe completely break the tank down and boil everything and re-cycle the tank?
MTS will survive a week of bleaching, a month or more of conversion to saltwater, a month in drained-but-moist gravel, and will probably seal up and outlast your patience when copper gets involved.

Assassin snails, Flubendazole/Fenbendazole/(anything that kills Camallanus), or just minimize overfeeding while manually removing them with a betta cup trap or something like that.

Desert Bus posted:

The main problem with eating aquarium fish, according to people who have eaten them, is that their flesh tends to take on the flavor of fish food.
Hikari reps made a big deal out of not using ethoxyquin in their foods, but I think the effects on humans are still kinda inconclusive? I forget, it's been a while.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Ugh, Cichlid's tail is chewed up.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

I fell in love with the idea of adding some shrimp into my big 55 gallon tank, but heard there might be some issues with my ~5 assassin snails roaming it.

Are shrimp safe from the snails? Is there some other inveterate that is that could fill the gap without being too aggressive? Dwarf Crayfish look adorable as well but I don't know much about them.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Heh, I've got Ramshorn, never had an issue with them and shrimp getting along.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

SocketWrench posted:

Heh, I've got Ramshorn, never had an issue with them and shrimp getting along.

Sorry, should have said assassin snails... Assassin snails

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

w00tmonger posted:

Sorry, should have said assassin snails... Assassin snails
5 assassins in a 55 gallon tank? Any shrimp they manage to catch in that environment probably weren't destined for greatness.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

From all reports, assassin snails will occasionally catch a lazy shrimp but shouldnt destroy a healthy population.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

just transferred a couple from my small to big tank..... are they tiger barb safe? 1 casualty so far :(

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I've kept assassin snails and amanos for about 8 months and they've never napped one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I just upgraded from a 15 gallon tank to a 28 gallon one. All I got right now are 7 zebra danio and a pelco, you guys have any idea what I could add to this now I got 13 extra gallons to play with?