Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Toussaint Louverture posted:

Thinking about getting an otto temporarily to help with hair algae. It's not likely to have issues with betta or shrimp, right? I have an aquarium store I like that will basically give me a rental.

I have 3 otos in my tank, and there are still a few leaves where hair algae grows unabated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Toussaint Louverture posted:

Look at their little potbellies. LOOK AT THEM!

It's an 8 gallon with a betta, about a half dozen shrimp, and the two otos. I'm open to getting more otos if y'all think I should.

Oto's are schooling fish, so I would say to get 2-3 more myself, so long as your filtration isn't being pushed already.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

dirtycajun posted:

After a many year hiatus of the wonderful world of african cichlid keeping I think it's time for me to come back. After having spent years mourning the loss of my paired frontosas to their wonderful ability to break my loving tank hood and escape in a horrible suicide pact I wish to try again. This time with a smaller tank and smaller fish. I got a 45 gallon tank and a stand for super cheap and am hunting down lighting and such now.

I also plan on doing a planted cichlid tank this time, never could manage it before when I was a teenager but maybe this time I'll get it right after reading all the forums on how to get away with it. Worse comes to worse I'll just end up with a demolished attempt at a plant tank and some very happy fish.

Any suggestions for a group of african cichlids that would be perfectly happy in a 45 gallon tank and wouldn't outgrow it in a week or two? Preferably not vegetarian ones that will instantly destroy this tank idea.

Bolivian rams stay smallish and do pretty well with plants in my experience.

DSC_0093.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Moved my fish into a rubbermaid for a bit while I give my tank a thorough cleaning (and probably switch back to the canister filter because this aquaclear clogs up really fast in comparison), and I have no drat idea where the ghost shrimp is.

Is he still in the tank?

Did I net him with one of the other fish on accident?

Did he hitch a ride out on a plant when I moved those to the rubbermaid?

Is he behind a bookcase somewhere?

I'm not sure I'll ever know.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

God damnit fish, if I net two of you to move back into the tank that doesn't mean you should use your buddy as a springboard to jump out and escape! Hopefully that 4 foot fall doesn't wind up killing that tiger barb :smith:

Also I never did find that ghost shrimp. Probably either eaten or lost underneath the bookcase that sits next to my tank :geno: More reasons to setup a 2nd tank for a colony of cherries I suppose.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

About a week and a half ago I moved into a new apartment, and I managed to do so without killing any fish :toot:.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Fluval E-Series heaters are excellent.

http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-E-300-Watt-Electronic-Heater/dp/B001VMSK0I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379519991&sr=8-1&keywords=fluval+heater

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

5 gallon buckets from lowes or something will probably be cheaper than tupperware too (unless you already have some).

They have the added benefit of being basically watertight, if you get the ones meant to hold paint and the like.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

One of my tiger barbs had a death wish.

Finally jumped out of the tank through the 1" gap after 6+ months of trying. At least the cats didn't eat him I guess!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

When I moved my 20 gallon across town I wound up going to lowes and picking up a few of their 5 gallon plastic paint cans, like these ones http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=315728-84240-PN0039

The lids are pretty water tight, so I put the gravel into a few buckets, and filled the rest with water from the tank + the fish. Kept about half the water, threw out the rest. Much easier to move a glass tank around when it doesn't have 30 pounds of gravel sitting in it, and 5 gallons of water can kept the fish ok for about 4 hours or so before I had the tank set back up to move them into.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Ordering a fluval spec V to put on my desk, since my 20 long is just too bulky to have in my room (and $50 shipping from petco seems like a pretty good deal for it). Would like to get a cherry shrimp colony going so that I can move the extras into the big tank, but for now I'm going to just get it planted and growing I think (not sure it'll work super well with the hard, hi ph water I tend to get here)

Anyone have good tips or ideas for a 5 gallon tank like that?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Stoca Zola posted:

A lot of small fish aren't suitable for small tanks since they aren't happy unless they have room to school in numbers. Inverts are likely to be happier but you might need to put a mesh on the overflow comb to make it safe for shrimplets. I've stuck my heater in the same part that the pump is in, and cut some holes in the outlet hose to get a good water flow in that chamber, I think the main tank looks cluttered with a heater in it. Without holes in the hose the outlet flow is fairly strong.

Yeah, I read some stuff about doing those things, I'm holding off on picking up a heater until I have my hands on it so I can make sure to find one that's stashable.

e. this looks to be sort of what you're describing? http://spec-tanks.com/fluval-spec-aquarium-betta-friendly/

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Setting up a new fluval spec V right now. Managed to pick up a few nice pieces of mopani wood, a few new plants, and some rose barbs to add to my 20 gallon long. Sadly I don't think the spec will be ready for any cherry shrimp before the 20% off sale happens (even though I'm jump starting it with bacteria from my other tank, it's not going to be ready overnight).

Sadly one of the rose barbs isn't look so hot (has a discoloured spot on the back, wonder if maybe it got pinched or something when it was getting fished out at the store?), hopefully it makes it through ok :ohdear:. The rest seem to be doing great though.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Stoca Zola posted:

What kind of discolouration are you seeing? Lighter, darker, redness, scale missing? Best thing you can do is keep a very close eye on it, if it's in front of his dorsal fin it could be the start of a columnaris saddle ulcer. I've had no luck at all with rosy barbs from my LFS since they get them in as feeders, they've been bred in garbage conditions and are treated very poorly instore too. I hope your place treats them a bit better. If you can separate this suspect fish from the others, at least temporarily, you should do so; when I lost my last rosy barb from a pea choking incident the others were trying to pull off his eyeballs within 10 minutes - I guess if you've ever kept barbs before you probably know what they're like, so very ridculously greedy. You don't want him crashing overnight and his tankmates feasting on his diseased little corpse, anyway.

Yeah, I stashed him in a breeder box overnight, but he didn't make it. It was a lighter vertical stripe in between the dorsal and caudal fins, I hadn't seen anything like it before. Shoulda gotten a picture of it to be honest. Also I should have not been an idiot last night and typed Cherry Barb, not rosebarb. Wrong kind of fish!

Have a picture of the new tank at least. Nifty little setup.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I spent a real, real long time today tearing down my 20l, bleaching everything I could to try and win over the cyanobacteria that I've been dealing with, and rebuilding it with new substrate that should be more plant friendly. Also put some mopani wood into both of my tanks, been soaking it for a few days along with some boiling.

e. also looking at those pics, I wonder if I should move that ozlet from the spec V into the big tank, and replace it with some of the anubis that's not quite so tall.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I'm in the middle of a tank cycle, and my ammonia/nitrite/nitrate were all pretty close to zero at the start (I tossed the biomax ceramic stuff into my canister filter for a few hours to try and jump start it, although I should really just move some of it by hand into the new tank today), but after a few days the ammonia started to go up, and then the nitrites shot through the roof. So, I wouldn't be shocked to see you start to get higher readings, especially if your nitrate reading is a perfect 0.

e. Also a useful tool I've started using is google spreadsheets... got a nice little thing going where I can type in the test results whenever I do one and it gets plotted automatically, and I can write down when/how much I dose the tank with whatever so I don't have to think to myself "when was the last time I added flourish".

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 14, 2016

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Put the first fish in my new spec V!

:razz: Hopefully sometime next week it'll be ready for some cherry shrimp.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

If you like your 306, and I like my 206 (which I do), why not get a fluval 106?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Heisenberg1276 posted:

I got a 65 Litre Interpet Aquaverse Glass Aquarium Fish Tank for my wife's birthday on Sunday. She's been talking about keeping fish for a while and this seems a reasonable place to start. I'm excited to get some fish in there!

I've read about cycling, but I'm wondering should you add plants before or after cycling?

I've had no problems putting plants in before cycling the tank.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Fejsze posted:

I'm moving in a few days, and haven't moved a fish tank before. It's just a few miles down the road, but anything in specific I should make sure to do so everyone makes it healthy and happy?

I'm planning on putting the fish and plants in buckets with some current tank water. Taking out decorations and substrate, giving them a good rinse (haven't vaccumed in a few weeks), then draining the rest of the tank and moving everything over.

How should I reacclimate the fish once the tank is back up? Same city water source, but I've only done 10-15% water changes previously, not basically 80%+

If you have a lowes/homedepot type store near you you can probably buy 5 gallon buckets for dirt cheap, that are made to hold paint. They worked great for when I moved my fish tank, put teh gravel in one or two with enough water to keep em happy, fish and plants and stuff in another.

How big is the tank?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Lord Kinbote posted:

Thanks.yeah I just noticed that but its only showing timg when I quote,when I edit its just IMG,any way to fix this.

Well if you click at the front of where it says IMG, and then press the t key on your keyboard, it will change it from an IMG tag to a timg tag!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

This is my bolivian ram that I've had for over 4 years now, so he's probably 5 or older now. Pretty good life for a ram afaik, doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon (although I think he's devolping catarachts, poor guy)

Also tried putting a piece of foam on the output from the filter on my spec V (to see how it would work in case shrimp had trouble with the normal flow) and after a few days took it right off because all it seemed to do was get all the poo poo that would otherwise live in teh substrate living somewhere else to try and get some oxygen

http://i.imgur.com/X4Putkr.gifv

Mostly went away within a day of normal water flow through. At least there aren't any detritus worms crawling on the glass anymore.

Also the shrimp tank now has shrimp in it!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

skrapp mettle posted:

Well, I think my glorious plan for putting 130W of PC bulbs on my Spec V will work, but it sure is ugly. Bet I can grow plants pretty well, though.

nice wood

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

At least one snail hitched a ride with the 4 rcs that I got this week, but I was able to keep it from entering the tank

hopefully I didn't miss any :ohdear:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Still trying to get the temperature to stabilize where I want it to (the settings on this hydor heater don't really match reality at all), but I've got my first few baby shrimp :3:

P3080187.jpg

At least one has found it's way into the filter, but the flow is low enough that I'm pretty sure it can just swim out if it wants to.

e. Also, in order to help me get my temps figured out I wired up an arduino to my tank and setup a database to store the data, and website to display it.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 9, 2016

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Hahah, no shrimp are dumb as gently caress and will be in the filter til you dump them out. They're still cute though. :3:

I've seen shrimp walk in and out of this filter, the top of the foam is flush with the inlet so it doesn't take smarts to get out.

e. Assuming none got in through the bottom inlet, but I put some foam in there to try and prevent that. Guess I should check tomorrow though!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Errant Gin Monks posted:

So I trimmed all the plants the other day and am starting to have a black hair algae issue. I tossed the anacharis trimmings and all the hornworm into the pond outside where it has exploded.

Nice

I also had a few waves of fish deaths. I have lost 10 or so various tetras, 3 Oto cats and 2 snails. They happen to die after I do water changes. Which is odd. We do have chlorinated hard water but I pull out 50% and add it back treated with Prime.

Oh well

The other problem I am having is surface agitation. I have 2 C320 magnaflows and a uv powerhead but the surface doesn't move much. I added one of my old wave makers rated at 800 gph and it just made an aquarium hurricane. The liver bearers went for a ride. So I only let it run for a few minutes a day. I want to pick up something that will increase surface agitation but not blow my fish around.

Any ideas?

Also my goldfish are dumb. Just letting you guys know.

I keep the output of canister filter angled up a bit, so it stirs up the surface. Also handy because it's a very audible reminder that I need to top off the water.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I've managed to count 9 baby shrimp so far, with 2 or 3 more still carrying eggs. Things are getting going way faster than I planned... should probably get some thick java moss for my big tank sooner rather than later since at this rate the spec is going to get pretty crowded pretty fast.

also baby shrimp :3:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Also dont forget to add new shrimp in unless you're looking forward to your 10th generation shrimps coming out all quasimodo-like.

Not a bad idea. Wonder how big of an issue it is with shrimp in practice.

Stoca Zola posted:

Since your tank is pretty new, are you putting in any extra food for the baby shrimp?

I've been putting in a tiny bit of granular or flake food every day (skipping today though), but there's also a decent amount of algae on the wall that I didn't bother scraping, the shrimplets seem to be chowing down on that for the most part. Also some java moss and a marimo moss ball to nibble on.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Good to know. There's already shrimp from two different sources in here, so hopefully that helps.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

ShaneB posted:

Just repeating my love of Phosguard. I can't believe how quickly it tackled my brown algae issues. I'm guessing my muni water supply or my pipes (yikes) contain a good amount of phosphates. I just replace it when I do a water change and the only algae I get now is green.

I put some in my fluval 206 a few weeks ago and yeah, it worked great. Haven't changed it at all yet though.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

What kind of filters and what kind of media?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I've got 50+ baby shrimp in my little tank right now, and the pH is around 6.6-6.8. Stability does seem to be key (and keeping the ammonia/nitrates at 0).

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Vessel From Denny posted:

Im looking to start a planted tank at work with a 3 gallon i have sitting around. Coming from saltwater tanks, are there any special things i need to know about filtration that are different? Ill be using a HOB filter with some floss in it for water movement and to catch big gunky things. Am i going to need anything else other than substrate to get decent biological filtration?

Some sort of ceramic media to let the bacteria grow on (if it didn't come with the HOB already) like this http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Biomax-Bio-Rings-ounces/dp/B000HHSG5M will probably help a bunch.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

ShaneB posted:

My corys are trucks but also are boring as hell. :(

I got some p. cool pepper cories (think thats' what they are), and then about a month later switched the substrate in my tank without really thinking.

Turns out I had gotten pepper cory colored gravel and now they're shifty hard to see bastards :geno:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

My 20 long is slowly coming back from an algae outbreak, think the new plants that I added which grow like mad help a bunch (it's even worse in my 5.5 gallon betta tank, I need to trim them again this weekend). The ghost shrimp/nerite snail probably help a bit too.

This guy is somewhere between 5 and 6 years old, can barely see but refuses to stop owning the tank.

Also spotted a berried ghost shrimp today, with eyes showing up on the eggs already. Maybe I'll have better luck with those guys than I did with cherry shrimp.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

I was more worried about the light wavelengths if they were wide enough for plant growth as well.

I think most led lights made for plants tend to have extra led's to fill in the blanks (so, red specific leds basically).

ANUSTART posted:

Is this a good place to say I LOVE ghost shrimp so loving much?!

yes

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

FWIW my fluval 206 has been going great for years now. I did bust the priming stick but they send me a new head unit free of charge anyways, so at the very least the customer service seems to be pretty great still.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I almost never change the media, apart from some filter floss. Otherwise I just clean the sponges as well as I can. They're a bit discolored but they still stop stuff just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

The circle of life in my tank is my Bolivian ram that's gotta be 6 or 7 years old now (gotta go back to my old posts in this thread to double check) outliving literally everything els even though I have to hand feed him since he can barely see food.

Dude owns.