Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Bay Area fish keeper checking in. Hope to find goons to trade with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Desert Bus posted:

Oh, hey! That's JohnPTC's tank. It's only 1/5th the size of the largest FW home aquarium.

What the hell does he do for a living that he can afford all that. Wonder if he needed a permit for that turtle.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Kinda excited just got a mildly beat up but very serviceable plexiglass tank and stand. I will need to replace some of the wood on the hood. It appears to be a fifty long but it might be slightly larger. It has a section in the rear of the tank with overflow. I've never used a wet/dry filter system but excited to learn! I plan on plants and new home for my angels.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

eggyolk posted:

Recently MY GIRLFRIEND and I decided to try feeding our Red Eared Slider live food for once. He's about 3 years old and plenty big so we purchased a dollars worth of Rosy Red Minnows at the local pet store. Our turtle loves them after years of pellet and freeze dried shrimp.

Problem is I think I've taken a liking to the remaining two rosy reds and want to keep them around. Currently they're in a tiny 0.5 gallon carry-case tank, while our turtle is in a 5.5 gallon tank, soon to be replaced with a 15 gallon due to arrive any day now. My hope is to move the rosy reds into the turtles old 5.5 tank, add filter/gravel/light/decor, and keep the little guys alive while introducing healthy quarantined friends as time goes on. They seem like the perfect low-maintenance fish and a convenient food source for our turtle should any of them kick the bucket. Does anyone have any tips for this approach, or advice to improve the odds of these 10 cent guys survival?

I got ten of them for my 20g crawfish tank. After spending six months with the buzz saws of death and 6 are still alive and pretty drat big. I'll never know if they died from disease or got caught because non moving edible stuff disappears in an hour.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Ok here's a picture of my new free tank with stand, hood and built in wet dry filter. Anyone good with conversion numbers? It's four feet long, fifteen inches wide and eighteen inches tall. How many gallons is that?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Zaffy posted:

56 Gallons. Is it me, or are those weird dimensions for a 56? Not to take anything away from it though, looks great.

Do you have a plan for it yet?

It's certainly some sort of long tank. I plan on going full planted with amazon river plants, drift wood and to move my mated angels into it when completed. Cory and some sort of schooling tetra too big to he stuck in my angels mouth too.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Trilineatus posted:

It looks like you have my exact aquarium Ling. That's a Seaclear System II, 55G (a bit less because of the air space in the filter). Based on its age, and experiences I've had with mine here are a few things to watch out for. The intake hose from the pump to the front of the tank may tear off, requiring you to constantly reseal it with poor silicone because the tank is still mostly full of water, fish and plants. Or your wet dry system may become clogged leading to not enough water getting through the filter flow on the back top left, causing pressure to build up in the tank and break through the silicone holding the top of the plastic to the overflow and trickling through that way. In either of these cases,

http://www.amazon.com/One-Shot-Black-Pond-Sealant/dp/B004INC2ME/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372732652&sr=8-1&keywords=gold+label+aquarium+sealer

will be your best friend. On several occasions your fish will wind up in the filter. Have a good net handy for those frustrating moments. Also you won't be able to have very deep sand or gravel beds because of how near the floor of the tank the return holes are situated. Those moments aside, this is a great tank that I also got from a garage sale and love. Good luck!

E: In fact you have the same stand I do, though mine came with some awesome power strip alterations. If you're still looking for lighting and want to go down the T5HO route, I just upgraded to an LED system and have my two old ballasts and bulbs. PM me for more info if you're interested.

Boy I got a lot to learn about wet dry systems. You mentioned something about return holes being near the bottom but I can't find any holes and when I filled it up the back area didn't fill up until it went over the top.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Trilineatus posted:

So taking another look at the way your filter looks, it seems like you have a partition in the middle that doesn't extend to the sides (whereas mine does). Thus, it seems likely that your filter is slightly different than mine. I like mine because its a great spot to put the thermometer, pH meter, Heater, UV light filter, and CO2 diffuser (plus the actual filter material, its amazing). What do you plan on using for your filter materials?

Man I have no idea. This is my first tank I've ever owned over 20 gallons and I have only ever had hang off the back penguin filters. I'm willing to go go slow to make sure I get this right and I got a decent track record of keeping my fishy friends alive. First thing first. I've established there is no leaks. Now to clean up the bag o' filter stuff to see if I can recycle any of it or start with all new stuff. The hood is in fairly poor shape due to moisture damage. Going to have to replace some of the wood.
Since my current tank is well established I can really take my time on this project.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Omg! I got eggs! Somebody layers eggs last night on a sword leaf plant! While it could have been a Cory there are a ton of them and they usually lay them on the glass all random! It must be my angels! Whee!!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Chichevache posted:

I've spray painted my 30 gallon and got everything all set up now. I only have a few pieces of Ohko stone so far, but I like what my scape looks like at the moment. I'm going to pick up some more pieces when I'm in the Bay Area next week, assuming they have some. The pictures look a little washed out thanks to a quick point and shoot, but the rocks and substrate are much redder in real life. The Ohko stone is particularly attractive with shades of orange and yellow all throughout it. I will be back in San Jose next week, so when I get back I would like to begin my dry start of the HC. If anyone else has found a good FAQ for how to do a dry start I would love a link to it.

This is the spray paint I used. Don't buy it. The spray is uneven and chunky and no amount of shaking helps. Avoid at all costs.

The stand isn't amazing, but it has a cherry finish which goes with a lot of the other furniture we have. Please excuse the mess, we are still in the process of unpacking.

So any recommendations for the rocks? I don't have a real plan for them yet, and if any are still in the Bay Area when I get up there next week I will add more. But for now I think this is an interesting scape. I plan on doing a carpet of dwarf baby tears through the center of the tank with some taller plants on the left and rear of the tank. Beyond that I haven't really decided on much.

You sprayed the back of the glass?
Speaking of I want to refinish my stand. I suppose laminate is a bit delicate.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

My angels are being turds. I bought 4 ottos and 4 nerid snails to replace my deceased bristlenose and they are abosletly kicking rear end cleaning up the tank. But now the angels are stressing out each other and the ottos when they attempt to clean the filthy sword plants that are their layer and egg spawning patch. JUST LET THE drat OTTOS CLEAN YOUR FILTHY "ROOM"!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

My angels layed there second clutch!

Hope they don't eat this one.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I keep a tiger salamander for a pet. He will absolutely try to jam anything and everything in his mouth. Your fish tank would be empty except for your aquatic woodchipper in a week.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

My cories filthied up the tank glass again! Eggs! Eggs everywhere! :argh:

I wish mine would. Instead my retarded angels keep being terrible parents.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

My baby angels are all grown up and have finally stopped eating their own eggs! I just noticed the latest egg batch has turned into a wiggly writhing pile of fry! This is going to be a really stressful day until I get back home.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Fusillade posted:

Feeding wise, the fry will be fine the first few days as they absorb their yolk sacs. or are you more worried about mom and dad eating them?

Time to set up a brine shrimp hatchery or start buying frozen BBS! Looking forward to more pics. :)

Worried about everything! I've only hatched cories before. Actually mommy and daddy were very aggressive and bit me quiet a few times when I removed the leaf and transferred it to the baby pen. Oh gosh did I screw that up?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I feel like an inhuman monster for seperating the fry from the angel parents. They have been hovering around the enclosure for three days now and they managed to find about 10 babies to coral on a leaf right by the baby pen. I know fish don't really have feelings but damned if it doesn't appear like they do.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

How could you do it Lingcod?! They trusted you!

I thought they were like cories! Oh god I'm going to fish hell for thi....... Uh we'll I'm probably going to fish hell for fishing sins already.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

Oh well, soon they'll be out of 'BABIES!' :byodame: mode and into 'WHERE'D ALL THIS FREE FOOD COME FROM?!' mode, if its any consolation.

drat....angels eat their babies sooner or later eh?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

The good LFS posted a pic of one of their bigger fish:

A gold spot gibbicep. :3:

I've eaten smaller fish...

Speaking of small fish my fry seem to be doing well. Egg yolks getting smaller and somehow the parents managed to round up 20 or so fry on a leaf now. I have no loving clue how they did that.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Fusillade posted:

Actually, it might be a pumpkinseed, a type of sunfish. They are North American natives. A lot of the illustrations show the males in orange color breeding dress, but there are blue/purplish color variants.

http://www.kidsbiology.com/animals-for-children.php?animal=Pumpkinseed%20Fish

It could be almost any sunfish and while most of them are native to North America quite a few of them are invasive and wreck damage on the local fauna. In particular Blue Gills can over colonize a pond and stunt their own growth producing a dwarf population that nobody wants to fish for. If a predator is introduced that will eat up the population they naturally rebound to becoming larger fish... sometimes too large for bass to swallow whole. It's a pretty viscous circle of unintended consequences.

Update on Momma and Poppa Angel. Running their asses off playing baby rodeo. Amazing natural instincts. I hope they dont snap and eat them all.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Well my babies are about two thirds gone now....

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Shakenbaker posted:

Yeah, I think they only go up so far as lake Okeechobee with maybe a little upstream but that's still a good amount of area, since the glades are pretty large. It's a shame they wrecked the local fauna, because it's hard to argue with how awesome the huge garfish look. One of my many pipe dream tanks is to do a native setup with warmouth or shellcracker, maybe a few bullhead cats.

That's kinda Florida in a nutshell though. My house is overrun with air potatoes (kinda like kudzu, but with acorn to fist-sized tubers) and I watch the geckos chill on my windows at night to eat the bugs that come to the lights. Also: retirees :v:

Take a look at Mad Toms for your native mini catfish needs. Also there is at least a few sunfish even smaller than warmouths.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Shakenbaker posted:

I actually had no idea what mad toms where until now, and reading up a little on them is pretty cool. I don't think I've ever caught any so they're news to me. Thanks for the heads up!

The deal with wanting the warmouth and shellcracker specifically is that those are the fish I would catch when I was coming up, so it's partly a nostalgia thing. I can't really get away with channel cats or those blasted mudfish in any size tank, but mid-size sunfish seem doable. Could probably do a couple of them in a 75, but I'm already sitting at five tanks so...maybe later.

Yah, mad toms are pretty small and mostly completely looked over by anyone fishing as either baby catfish or minnows.

Look up Orange Spotted Sunfish. Lepomis Humilus. Maxes at a about 4 inches and considered peaceful.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

demonR6 posted:

Terrible shrimp mothers? Pregnant? I don't want no kids?!

Sounds like my cannibal teen angel couple. I'm down to three babies separated out but I think two of them may have sucked through the cracks.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

They would just cling to the walls ins not get on the dance floor.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Well... my angels decided that they needed to try again and now I have two leaves full of eggs. I will be buying a tank separator on Saturday to keep them away from the baby box because I think they are sucking the babies through the slots.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Kharnifex posted:

I need to completely redo the fluval edge tank.

The giant duckweed stuff rooted down in my tanks and started expanding like crazy, so I had to pull out all but 2-3 individual plants.

Waiting for my mountain clouds and maculata to breed. I also have some mountain clouds in my Aquaponics ponds.

Giant duck weed will root? I was wondering why it had such long dangling roots. Do you just bury it with your finger to help it along? It's growing really good in my tank along with two different swords.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

CaladSigilon posted:

I saw this algae eater at the Georgia Aquarium happily working away in one of the river tanks. Unfortunately, since it was a work-fish instead of a display-fish, there was no label to tell me what it is!

Does this look familiar to anyone? It's adorable.

I'm thinking some kind of plecky-relative?

I've seen them for sale in the Bay Area. I want to say it was labels as a butterfly loach but I could be completely wrong. It was not listed at any crazy price like a zebra.

Hot drat I was right. I recall it standing out because I thought it would be a plecy too.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Cowslips Warren posted:

Years ago I worked at a small aquarium, and was tasked with insuring the new electric eel got a balanced diet. Since this two foot long animal was in a 55 gallon tank, I had to be super high on water changes, and feeding him earthworms all the time wasn't going to work. So I did some research, picked up some New Life Spectrum wafers...and holy gently caress, this wild caught fish was EATING PELLETS. I was beyond happy. So I did the water changes and fed him, and when he started to swell up, I didn't know what to do. My boss kept asking what was wrong with him, I showed her him eating, the water parameters were fine.

She was stumped.

Finally she dragged him to the vet building, and they X-rayed him: his stomach was full of gravel. When he ate the wafers, he would scoop up bits of gravel at the same time. They had to put him down because of that.

Or the time my boss bitched about the airstones in so many tanks, and me, thinking that was a hint, yanked a ton of them out. a full grown lima shovelnose cat, a dozen silver dollar fish, and 2 huge common plecos all died overnight.

Or the time I didn't cover the eel tank all the way and came in to find three feet of Eel, the moray, dead on the tile.

It sucks. It happens, sadly...

You tried you best don't beat yourself up.

Just don't ever take a job in an orphanage or nursing home.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Shhhhhhh...... Angels doing the nasty just now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGBZM3tu7pI

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

Hahah that's amazing. Guess they really like the led lights. Having ridiculous growth is good though. It means less free floating nutrients, and removing extra floaters is a much easier task than with other plants.

I manage to just introduce large pedaled floaters but drat those big ones you have look giant.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Well don't worry too much about size because your tank is huge. For instance in my 20g planted tank with an over the side filter I keep 12 neons, 8 cory cats, 3 algae eaters, 6 snail and two breeding Angels. I clean the filter and do a partial water swap every Sunday. Tank has been stable at least six months.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Shakenbaker posted:

Got some more corkscrew vals that could go to a new home if anyone's interested. Just let me know and you too can have the long, manageable curls you've always dreamed of.

I'm in CA. How far are you from me?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Shakenbaker posted:

The west coast...of Florida. Still gets there by mail pretty fast, though.

Well then I'm game if shipping won't kill you. Area code is 94560. Is it cool?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

demonR6 posted:

Ack, that sucks to hear. But wtf about having to renew a pond permit to add a new fish? How would they know?

You may need the permit to buy one in the first place. You really don't want nonregulated breeding grass carp sucking up in the wild. Triploids can't breed.

Your ladyboy carp looks pretty small from the stuff I've read on them.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Suspect Bucket posted:

She was probably less then 8 years old, which is the age of the development and the pond she was in. And the pond is relatively small, only about half an acre. She was heavy as gently caress though. The largest triploid grass carp taken in Florida was 15 years old, 56" long and weighed 75 lbs.

Fish and Wildlife says triploids are cheap, only about 5 to 15 bucks. It might even be free if my HOA covers it, as they are responsible for all the ponds in the development. I just have to flag down the president and get the permit pulled, then request a new carp. However, the government shutdown has made even some of the state government stuff here in Florida pretty squirrely.

Here's an interesting factsheet on them.
http://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/profiles/fish/freshwater/nonnatives/grass-carp/

And here's the stocking info with an overveiw of the rules for having triploid carp.
http://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/invasive-plants/grass-carp/

That link was pretty neat. Reading up on the invasive species list was kinda sad on how bad aquatic tank owners are. And how the hell did they stop guppies and convicts from breeding like crazy?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Suspect Bucket posted:

Well, once the US government's back some of that story should be at https://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/factsheet.aspx?SpeciesID=447 . Here's some pasta I grabbed from the Internet Wayback machine in regards to the convicts.

I would imagine that if an invasive species like Convicts were discovered, the whole area would be poisoned. This really only works with ponds and lakes though. In the St. Johns river, giant fuckoff Goldfish and Koi have been found. In brackish water. This is generally following hurricanes and the like. http://jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/041005/spo_18437386.shtml

Large mouth bass population. I highly doubt convicts could establish a population in lake mead with them super eaters.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

Just keep her away from pointy objects. :ohdear:

My big mama cory is always bloated looking, whether she's just laid eggs or not.

Waaaaah one of of my baby cories I've raised died last night. I caught him floating upside and way too buoyant but with no outward signs of trauma or sickness. He finally died and still nothing dis colored or harmed. His six brood mates will have to soldier on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Looks more like petrified rail lizard.