Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindofme
May 19, 2003

Learn trispace and never have to think about math again!
I give up with my snail infestation.

I tried lettuce traps, I got a pair of assassins, I borrowed a yoyo loach, I quarantined my assassins in my other tank and dosed with Snail Zap twice. And the bastards still keep coming back. If it wasn't for the fact that they killed two beautiful albino bristleoses I wouldn't mind but I feel the need to avenge their deaths.

Also the fact that they've ruined about 40 dollars worth of plants and make my tank look disgusting - I'm going to keep dosing with snail zap until the bottle runs out and siphoning the gravel as often as I dare without doing ridiculous water changes.

The killer part is that I dosed with Snail Zap last Friday, waited 3 days for no more snails on the glass, did the water change and just before I put the carbon in the filter saw a little bugger sliding around. So I dosed again. Waited 4 days, did the water change, waited 12 hours to make sure no more snails appeared. Put the carbon in and 10 minutes later there were 5 assholes on the glass.

Luckily the fish don't mind - my betta likes to knock them off the glass and chase them down. Fortunately he doesn't try to eat them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindofme
May 19, 2003

I had my first tank catastrophe in my 20g. I was doing a huge water change (30%) to vacuum up snail corpses and get rid of the snail zap before replacing the carbon. Left for work, and when I came back I had some sort of tank overflow and half the water was all over the floor. I panicked and replaced all the water not remembering that our city water has about 1.0 ppg of ammonia naturally. All of my white clouds were dead or dying today - stuck to the filter intake. Did a water test. 1.0 ppg ammonia, 0 nitrites, 40 nitrates. Literally recycling the tank all over in less than a year.

I am crushed. I should have just slowly added water to the tank and used water that was ammonia free from my 55 gallon. My entire school (10 fish) of minnows are gone and its all my fault. I can barely look at the tank anymore. Even my 55 doesn't make me feel great since now I'm worried I'll do something more to gently caress it up.

I see my lovely betta Ru flashing his fins at me and begging for food and I'm just so concerned about how close I came to killing him.

mindofme
May 19, 2003

The hose for my air pump fell off somehow and acted like a tiny siphon.

mindofme
May 19, 2003

My bristlenosed pleco was extra active at night - so I would drop in a bit of wafer once the lights had been off in the tank for a while. I'd try to drop it near to where he was chilling out. My tetras would almost always ignore food once the lights went out.

mindofme
May 19, 2003

Slugworth posted:

Ok, now that the topic's been brought up, how does everyone feel about neon or cardinal tetras as tank mates for bettas? I have been considering it for a betta I've got, but I see real mixed claims on other forums about how well it works.

I have a betta living quite happily in a 20g with a school of 9 cardinals and 4 neons. The neons always ignored him, but the cardinals got a bit nippy when there was only 4 of them around - but now that I have a bigger school they pay so much attention to each other they ignore betta RuPaul completely.

mindofme
May 19, 2003

daggerdragon posted:

That is an absolutely fabulous name for a betta :gay:

He's pretty fabulous - but not nearly as showy as his namesake. His current thing is to get in the smallest space he can find and stare - I worry sometimes that's he's going to get trapped and drown himself but anytime I try to rearrange the tank to prevent his fun he gets really upset and just "lays down" (fins barely touching the substrate).

Luckily he only spends a little while doing that and the rest of the time he's happily swimming and flaring at his reflection. But do you think he'll let me get a picture of that? Nope.

mindofme
May 19, 2003

Finally was able to replenish my school of denison barbs. I had 2 survivors from my original group of 6 who have existed very peacefully for the last few months. But they did seem lonely and after a recent tank rearrangement and some new odessa barbs they were sticking in one small corner of the tank. So I picked up 3 new little (not so little) barbs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGCqV9j6SJM
I wasn't taking any chances with these barbs. Had them in isolation for 24 hours in a methylene blue bath. Did a 5% water change before I put them in, and another 5% water change 24 hours later.

So far so good - the little ones aren't getting chased by the 2 big ones, and in fact they're a lot more active an curious. The big ones will be shepherding them around the tank and now they "let" the little ones chase them. It will be great to see them grow up.

mindofme
May 19, 2003

I have one of those dudes in my 55 gallon. Its known as a reticulated hillstream loach, or a borneo loach. They are semi-schooling in that they like company, but will work just fine without a buddy. My LFS says they'll only eat green algae, but I've seen mine chow down on brown algae too.

They also come in a spotted pattern

I had one of those in my tank too - but when my heater decided to crank the temperature up to 36C the poor thing didn't make it.

They are a lot of fun to watch swimming around the tank during feeding time, they move like little manta rays! Mine likes to chase the corys around, but really can only move in 2 dimensions at one time - the corys just jump up a little to avoid him.

mindofme
May 19, 2003

SynthOrange posted:

Aw yeah more babies for eatin. :getin:

And I think my moss still needs a trim or to be tied down again. Its getting a little unruly. Pretty pleased with its growth though!

Look at those fat happy corys :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindofme
May 19, 2003

I love my python system, although i use it for the removal and gravel cleaning only. Our tapwater is very high in chlorine and ammonia, so I just do 2% water changes every other day. First I fill a gallon bucket and add SeaChem SAFE and let it degas overnight, then use Python to siphon out the water, and add my new water.

It works really slick and my tank looks fantastic.