Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
How bad of an idea is using terrarium sand in an aquarium? I have an unused bag of ExoTerra black desert sand lying around that would be pretty neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Babbys first fishtank! Only took about 2 years from buying the basic equipment and the single large rock to actually planting. I guess I'll have some fish in 2015...

10gal with anubias and mossball in front, some swordtail in middle, hornwort left, cabomba right. Now I'm worried about the light being too intense and the water sucking too many balls for fish :/

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
So how fast is a fully cycled aquarium supposed to get rid of ammonia and nitrite? I got everything to 0 and since I'm not going to add fish that soon I added ammonia to 4ppm just to see how it goes. 24h later ammonia is at 0.5ppm which seems pretty good, but nitrite is still off the charts and nitrate at around 60ppm. Obviously I got all the bacteria needed but are they going at optimal efficiency? This is a 10 gallon tank with 20gUS filter.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Dantu posted:

How long has it been setup? Did you keep feeding the bacteria with ammonia after the cycle completed?

Around 20 days, and the cycle just completed so there was no starvation period as far as I can tell. Also I have a lot of plants in there.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Dantu posted:

The only conclusion I can come up with is that you aren't cycled. Nitrite should be back to zero 24 hours after a dosing of ammonia, pretty sure.

It's back at 0 after 48hrs. I guess I'll keep feeding small doses of ammonia and hope the nitrite eaters catch up.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
So are Dwarf Gouramis still ridiculously susceptible to disease or has the situtation improved? Lots of articles citing a 2007 study that the fish are dying left and right due to viral disease.

married but discreet fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 29, 2014

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Slugworth posted:

All three of mine died of it about a year ago. lovely disease. Takes forever for them to go, and they look awful the whole time, and there is nothing you can do about it other than euthanasia.

That sucks. I was really looking forward to getting a Gourami and now I'm totally second guessing my decision. :(

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Sostratos posted:

What size aquarium do you have?

10 gallon. I guess that leaves me with either Sparkling Gouramis or Honey Dwarfs. Sparkling Gouramis then! :D

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I added 7 Harlequin Rasboras to my planted 10gallon, and now I'm sort of worried about my decision since I've read a couple people claiming that's too small for this species. They're eating well, growing, and one healed his tail fin that was a bit nipped when I got him. They do fight a lot when the lights go on in the morning, but calm down after I put some food in. All of them are eating and none have any visible injuries.

Are they just reestablishing their pecking order every morning or am I keeping them in a too small tank that makes them angry?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
My plants are dying! When I first added my plants they were growing very fast, but over the last two week I've first seen my hornworts deteriorating quickly, now the cabombas are all but a few falling apart, while oddly my swordtail(?) is thriving even though it did extremely poorly before. Anubias are trucking along fine. I've had the tank with plants for a couple months, added fish a few weeks ago. I am putting in daily doses of Flourish Excel and added some Flourish Gravel tabs a week ago because I thought maybe my plants were dying because of lack of fertilization. It's a sad sight and I have no idea whats happening.

edit: Water parameters have remained stable, fish are thriving

married but discreet fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 31, 2014

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

SynthOrange posted:

Apart from daily 50% water changes til the situation improves there's not much alternatives. If they can all get along in the 10g til the larger tank stabilizes that might be the better option if you're really uncertain about the water quality in the 50g.

What's the deterioration looking like? Feeding or the plants turning to mush? The situation you're describing has me scratching my head because it sounds like the fish are adding something that the plants arent happy with. Trying to acclimatize to raised nutrient levels? Jeez I dont know. Plus how the hell is hornwort dying!

Plants turning to mush, mostly the lower leaves but some are losing all of it. Oddly enough I got two hornworts that are doing fantastically, the others much less so. I am blasting all the plants with light so I'm reasonably sure there's nothing wrong with that, and my 7 little harlequins are certainly not bothering the plants. I got rid of all the crappy looking plants and the entire tank looks very empty now. I'm stopping the Flourish Excel for now, see what happens.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

SynthOrange posted:

Other than acclimatization, not really apart from adding some rocks or plants if possible to break up lines of sight and give hiding spots for a tank that's going to be a little crowded.

Okay that's a bit I didnt know. Have you just started dosing Excel? Some plants react badly to full doses of excel without acclimitization time.

I've been overdosing excel for a while to get rid of algae - that sounds like it could be the source of my problem. Ugh

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

SocketWrench posted:

Well, congrats, in a way, you found a way to kill hornwort

I am truly the worst aquagardener :(

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Building a yeast CO2 generator seems like a fun little project, does anyone have any horror stories to keep me from doing it?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

tokomon posted:

loud filter

Just take apart the filter and put it back together, that often does the trick

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I would LOVE to have a Betta with my Harlequin Rasboras, but aggression aside I'm not sure I can bring myself to buy one from a fishstore that keeps them in what amounts to a marmalade jar.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I figured out the reason for my previous hornwort and cabomba holocaust - it wasn't too much Flourish Excel, it was actually a complete lack of micronutrients. I started dosing Flourish Seachem and everything stopped melting and is in fact growing again!

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Is the titular runaway snail infestation actually something to worry about? Because I have a shitload of small white snails in my aquarium right now, and unless it's actually a problem (bioload, eating plants?) I can live quite well with those guys. I put in a half assed experimental snail trap (marmalade jar with zucchini) but its effectiveness might just be due to random chance of snails crawling all over the place. I'll have a control jar without zucchini tonight.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

SocketWrench posted:

Just don't overfeed and their numbers will settle to what can be supported. My original infestation got under control quickly with less food...and that rear end in a top hat Chinese algae eater getting to a few.

I feel like their numbers have exploded since I've started using Seachem Excel and gotten more algae to grow, which they feed on mostly. I guess I'll just clean out some of the little dudes every day and see where it goes if there is no immediate risk of them loving up water chemistry.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Bah, 3 out of 7 Harlequin Rasboras have died recently, sucked into the filter. It might be coincidental but before they started dying a bought a bunch of Frogbit from the local fish store, and also had a larger amount than usual of cyanobacteria. After 2 fish died, I blacked out for a couple days, turned the light on again on Sunday, algae gone, continued as usual. Today another fish stuck in filter.

I have:

- Tested water, it's normal.
- Done around 30% water change to be sure
- replanted more stuff around the filter to prevent fish from getting sucked in

What is happening? Fish are all swimming around and eating normally, though they are probably unhappy at the reduction of their numbers and hence stressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
How is babby mossball formed? I've noticed small green balls that look like my Marimbo , only much smaller popping up all over my tank. Is it just some different type of algae or propagating mossballs?