Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Chido posted:

I guess I thought it was gross not to rinse the gravel every now and then because I don't have plants that would absorb the poop from the fish. I don't have any algae problem or poop buildup, so I guess I should stop? :ohdear:

Eh. That's just making more work for yourself. Every water change should be stirring up the gunk from the substrate anyway if you're using a hose or a suction tube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Aquarium filters are the same with the official water fountains - don't ever let the pump run out of water or while dry. Make sure the pump is submerged/has enough water at all times.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I have two fancy guppies in a maternity tank because they're getting ready to download their fry. I had a divider up between them but every time I check on them one or the other would be in the other compartment :wtc:

I just took it out since they obviously want to chill together.

I have a hypothesis that all fish, regardless of size, have the ability to just phase through dividers like that.

When I had oscars and the male decided to pick on the female (a difference of 1", but when the fish are a foot long plus some, it matters), I put a divider up. It had no gaps, it slid in brackets on either side of the glass, and there was a hood on to prevent jumping, so you'd think a foot long fish wouldn't be able to get through it, right? Next morning, both oscars are in the same compartment just chilling with each other and acting like they weren't out for Oscarpocalypse 8 hours ago. :iiam:

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Chichevache posted:

I've spray painted my 30 gallon and got everything all set up now. I only have a few pieces of Ohko stone so far, but I like what my scape looks like at the moment. I'm going to pick up some more pieces when I'm in the Bay Area next week, assuming they have some. The pictures look a little washed out thanks to a quick point and shoot, but the rocks and substrate are much redder in real life. The Ohko stone is particularly attractive with shades of orange and yellow all throughout it. I will be back in San Jose next week, so when I get back I would like to begin my dry start of the HC. If anyone else has found a good FAQ for how to do a dry start I would love a link to it.

This is the spray paint I used. Don't buy it. The spray is uneven and chunky and no amount of shaking helps. Avoid at all costs.

The stand isn't amazing, but it has a cherry finish which goes with a lot of the other furniture we have. Please excuse the mess, we are still in the process of unpacking.

So any recommendations for the rocks? I don't have a real plan for them yet, and if any are still in the Bay Area when I get up there next week I will add more. But for now I think this is an interesting scape. I plan on doing a carpet of dwarf baby tears through the center of the tank with some taller plants on the left and rear of the tank. Beyond that I haven't really decided on much.

Next time try acrylic enamel paint and a mini-roller. Goes on smoother and you have more control.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

My angels layed there second clutch!

Hope they don't eat this one.

My angelfish have been laying eggs almost every other week this summer, usually on the terra-cotta pot. I'm pretty sure the kuhli loaches are getting them, though...

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

I've got a betta of my own in a 5 gallon with 4 (3, as of this morning) fathappy corydoras. His hobby is chasing a cory, and their hobby is to taunt the betta. The tank is also over-filtered with a Fluval C2, so I can get away with over-stocking it a bit.

That being said, I wouldn't put any non-cory schooling fish in with a betta unless you had a sufficiently large (10g+) tank due to the betta being able to occupy all levels of the tank, whereas the cories just stay at the bottom.

mindofme posted:

I have a betta living quite happily in a 20g with a school of 9 cardinals and 4 neons. The neons always ignored him, but the cardinals got a bit nippy when there was only 4 of them around - but now that I have a bigger school they pay so much attention to each other they ignore betta RuPaul completely.

That is an absolutely fabulous name for a betta :gay:

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

avon_grey posted:

Hi, fellow fish goons!

I'm going to be moving 4 states (approximately 700 miles) over a 2-day span in December. I have 4 bettas (2 males in separate tanks, obviously, and two females who love each other to the point I didn't need a third to keep them from fighting).

My question is, will they be okay in four separate Tupperware containers over the 2-day span? They most likely won't be in the Tupperware the entire 48 hours.

I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas to keep them moving about while driving at a minimum. My plan was to stick the Tupperware in a small box and pad the hell out of it around the containers and make a few small holes in the lids of the containers to make certain they get enough airflow. Should this be sufficient? Any one who's moved fish, specifically bettas, would be greatly helpful.

I strongly suggest 5 gallon buckets instead of Tupperware containers, unless you're referring to the like, seriously huge boxes. The more water, the more resistant it is to having poor water quality for the fish, less worries if some gets slopped out, better temperature control, and better resistance to being tipped over since you can pack other things around buckets to hold them upright. You'll need the air holes in the bucket lids, obviously, but when you're not traveling, put an airstone in each bucket for aeration. Bettas will be fine without filtration for 2 days, especially if you do 25% water changes and don't feed them for the duration.

Since you're doing this in December, do not leave the fish in the stopped car unless you're literally just stopping for 5 minutes at a rest stop to pee. Eat your food in the car with the heater running.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

Do bettas need aeration? I was under the impression they get all the oxygen they need through the surface.

They need filtration. Since there won't be any filtration for a few days, aeration will help. I'm not saying CRANK THE AIRSTONE, but a slow bubble will help immensely.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

Wow, these guys are staples in my killifish club....they are so widespread that people can't give them away.

I've definitely never seen them at any of the LFS either. Where are you located?

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Whale Cancer posted:

I remember when I was setting up my 10 gallon and planting it I came to the tank one day and out of nowwhere I had what seemed like hundreds of pond snails. I added 3 dwarf puffers, which I planned on doing anyway, and it was a snail holocaust. The substrate turned from eco complete to dead ramshorns. I tried breeding them in the tank after that and they couldnt competew with the puffers. If I ever do another massively planted tank it will definitely be a puffer tank.

Snailocaust :haw:

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Fusillade posted:

I am bummed about it too! It's (partly) preventable and I generally have much better husbandry practices. I will look into these particular suction cups though since it seems they're a bit different from what I normally use -- how thick is the glass/acrylic that you're using them on? I'm going to need magnets that work through 3/4" of acrylic -- so I'll see if 'industrial strength' will cut it. I've tried a LOT of things -- multiple suction cups, lashing the control box for the temp probe to the top of the tank, etc.

Everyone else is ticking along great in the tanks otherwise!

Also try looking for neodymium magnets. Be careful, though... they'll scratch acrylic like nobody's business.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Lessee, quintessential 80's aquarium.

Only the crappiest multicolored gravel will do!

Diver AND treasure chest! :haw:

Creepy ornaments, the creepier and more oversized, the better... and something equally cutesy to balance it out

Throw a bunch of Greek Pillars around randomly, making sure you put one on top of the rusted-out battle tank, which is right next to the tower of random rocks/minerals/seashells/sea glass you used to be serious about collecting

Volcano Bubbler (also comes in Pyramids, Coliseum, etc)

Bubble wand that slowly gets filled with gunk and begins to bubble less and less until it eventually only bubbles feebly out of one end of the wand if it's tilted

Need at least one Buddha or a skull because, you know, :emo:

Whatever random crap you can find on Etsy (okay, that one's pretty cool)

Generic background that won't stay put no matter what you do to keep it on

Don't forget to buy lots of way too small plastic neon plants!

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Anybody want* a famous movie fish from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas? You can feed him carrots!

* You'll need more than a goldfish bowl for this one...

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Sentinel82 posted:

I'm looking for some opinions on filters, mainly how many I should use. I've got a 50g running right now with two HOB filters, which was recommended by my LFS. No live plants yet, and only a few fish so far, since the tank is still fairly new and not completely cycled yet. I'm interested in getting a canister filter, looking at the Fluval 306. The guys at my LFS are saying I should keep one of the other filters running in addition to the canister if I get one. I've just gotten back into having a tank running after about 5 years off, and have only dealt with these guys once, so I don't really know their reputation.

From what I've read, there are a few reasons to run more than one filter:

-Backup filter in case one of them dies, and to alternate cleanings
-Additional filtration for the tank
-Extra surfaces for beneficial bacteria, and could be used in a quarantine/hospital tank if needed

What is the general consensus on the number of filters, and am I missing any obvious (or not so obvious) reasons to run two filters? Is it just overkill, or a good habit to get in to? Is my LFS giving me good advice, or just trying to sell me more equipment.

There's no such thing as overkill when it comes to filtration.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

Clove oil is always sold out at my local pharmacy. People must have a hell of a lot of toothaches, or a lot of fish to kill.

Clove oil is one of those things you don't think you need until it's too late. That being said, overnight it from Amazon and keep it for when you need it again. Keep it out of sunlight and it won't go bad.

I've put down an oscar with clove oil and followed these directions, but my oscar required about 10x the amount of oil listed required to actually KILL the drat thing. I've heard that you can anesthetize the fish first, then follow up with vodka, but that's a waste of perfectly good booze. :sun:

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

WTF BEES posted:

So I'm pretty sure my emerald cories went on a mating frenzy and now my tank is covered in what I assume are cory cat eggs. What's the chance they will hatch into baby cories with no intervention? I honestly don't care if the other fish eat them (neon tetras, x-ray tetras, an otto cat, and a bristlenose pleco) but it would be kind of cool to have some little bebes swimming around.

I have 4 corys. Eggs on the glass is a regular fixture. Betta lurves him some snacks! Then one died, so now I have 3 corys. More eggs the next week like clockwork, and the week after that, and the week after that. They took a break over the winter, but there were still eggs on the glass at least once a month. Big fat full happy betta. Cue springtime, egg frenzy starts up again. Betta's more than happy to gobble up his delicious egg treats.

Now, I admit to being slightly negligent with this tank. The betta does such a fantastic job that I have 5 corys. ... wait what? When did I add more? ... why is that one so tiny (and cute omg squee) and why are there three of them, all different sizes, none of which can be more than a week old? :psyduck:

I have... I'm pretty sure I have 7 corys. I think.

Slacker betta. :mad:

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Sostratos posted:

You could get a water changer like a Python. It hooks up to the faucet on your sink and can drain and fill with one hose. It's a lot easier than using buckets.

WHAT IS THIS WIZARDRY I REQUIRE IT NOW because seriously, gently caress buckets. I have weak-rear end little shrimp arms and 5 gallon buckets are just so heavy.

Edit: 50 foot version

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Dantu posted:

Every now and then he gets into a brawl with the heater

God, I love oscars. :allears:

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

SocketWrench posted:

angels chase down anything they can that looks tasty. Tetras fall in that category.

I have angels. The alpha male successfully hunted down 3 of his fellow angel tankmates, drove one to jump out and dehydrate on the floor and become a cat treat, and the third is his bitch that he beat up so often that I just put a permanent tank divider in. Poor lady angel. :(

Both of them will chase the kuhli loaches, but them worm-fish are fast.

daggerdragon fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 11, 2014

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Sostratos posted:

Melafix doesn't fix everyhing. If you have any gourami in that tank, don't use it. It prevents their labyrinth organ from functioning and will kill them. You also shouldn't use it with any fish that require well oxygenated water since it can interfere with oxygen exchange at the surface. If you're clear on those two fronts, it's worth a try.

That's what bubblers are for.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

Khuli loaches dont eat snails though

Can confirm, they're useless lazy bastards.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Fire Storm posted:

So we culled the tank. Transferred them into some Jack Daniels and they were in pain no more.

While you're cleaning the tank, for next time please buy some clove oil. It's cheaper fish euth than Jack's, and you're gonna want all the Jack's for yourself while you're sobbing into your tank. :P

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

The Dregs posted:

I don't know why people bother with clove oil when tossing the fish into a garbage disposal or blender is quicker, less frightening, and just as painless.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

aerialsilks posted:

Sometimes some of the smaller ones are actually pretty decent-- the Nat Geo betta tanks(filtered, not the unfiltered ones) are pretty cool once you baffle the flow. But yeah, I know that feeling. Even in my store we have That One Associate who shouldn't be in the department. And for the most part, yeah, we try to at least tell people to keep their bettas in a gallon or larger since I'd say 80% of betta complaints are "but it never moves around!" Probably because you have it in a cup, buddy. Trying to get most people into tanks larger than that is a pain in the rear end, but thankfully many people seem pretty receptive to the standard glass 2.5 because it also comes with a lid.

Speaking of fish we shouldn't carry, I'm eagerly awaiting the day we finally get rid of iridescent sharks/pangasius catfish. We stopped carrying Pacu about two years ago, or so, and I'm hoping the pangs are on their way out too. No sense in hoping for bala sharks and silver tips to go, unfortunately-- between them and oscars every fish newbie thinks they're ~so cool~ for some reason I can't fathom.

Oscars are cool... if you have a bare minimum 55 gallon and canister filter for it. I knew they got big, but when I got my oscar and it grew out, holy poo poo. :monocle: That fish was awesome, he'd follow me around the room in his tank from one side to the other. I seriously contemplated setting up a laptop with a movie on it so he could watch...

And every fish noob coming over asks if it's a piranha :doh:

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

True. Sorry, spoken in frustration. MANY people I knew on mfk were all about "gently caress DA police" about illegal stock.

If you're going to keep piranha illegally, keep black rhoms, not loving pussy redbellies. Go big or go to goldfish.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

Well in the wild it's assumed that there'll be predators and like 90% of the offspring will be eaten.

Anyone got any nice swordtail recipes?

Catch fish, pat dry, cover in cheese, eat by the handful?

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Krataar posted:

I have had a fish tank for a month now and fish for two weeks. Things that have happened:

Shrimp all died during molting.
2 tetras died soon after buying.
Ich killed my oto, but suprisingly all my tetras that got it weathered it and are on the upswing.

Now my background plants are turning clear and into goo. Any idea what this is?

Did you do a cycle or just set up the tank and throw things in there? Tetras die, they're just fragile little fuckers. Plants "melt" to the stem when they're recently moved, then they'll start growing again.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

CeeCee posted:

We got my son a 10 gallon aquarium kit, but the heater it came with has no numbers on it. There's a little notch we assume is where they want us to set it, but yesterday the water was pushing 84 so I turned it down. Been keeping an eye on it and adjusting to try and keep it around 78ish, but I'd really like a better heater. What's a good one to get so I don't have to babysit it and guesstimate temp settings?

We've got 2 mollys, 2 skirts, 2 tetras, 2 Otocinclus, and a couple ghost shrimp. Is 78ish a good temp for them? They've all been pretty active, even when the temp rose, but we're new to this so want to make sure. Last thing we want is our son to wake up to floaters.

I love Fluval E-series heaters because not only do they have your basic heating capabilities, but they also have a color-coded thermometer right on the thing. They're worth every dollar over the cheap crappy $10 petstore heaters, and are much more reliable too.

Fluval E 300-Watt Electronic Heater (I can only link to the 300 watt version for some reason - you only need the 50 watt version at best)

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

GreyPowerVan posted:

I don't know if a $50 heater is required. You can get a $5 thermometer that works fine and get a jager heater and save like $20-25.

Nobody said it was required. I just like the all-in-one indicator that tells me if the water is too hot or too cold from across the room. Fluval E's are also workhorses - they always maintain the correct temperature and I've never had one fail on me. I have had the cheap $10 heaters fail way too many times. I haven't tried the Jager heaters, though. Why mess with success? :)

It all comes down to whether or not a built-in, glow-in-the-dark thermometer is worth a $20 premium to you.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Chichevache posted:

I had been considering stopping by the LFS and putting the fish and shrimp in oxygenated bags. My concern about using the 5 gal was the betta going nuts on everyone else, or one of the larger cories hurting somebody.

So put the shrimp in the 5 gallon bucket and the fish in bags and float them in the bucket. Win-win?

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

CrazyLittle posted:

he should get smaller tanks so his fish can have a tank in their tank too

Yo dawg...

I have a 1, 5, 10, and 30 gallon tank in the basement sitting around not being used. Wonder what kind of franken-tank stack I could make... What kind of fish would be happy living in something that retarded, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Enos Cabell posted:

Drain the tank and move him into a smaller container. Leave just enough water to keep the substrate wet, and move your filter media in tank water as well.

To clarify on this: drain the tank with enough water to keep the substrate wet (1 inch or so). Put your filter media in a baggie with juuuust enough water to keep the thing soggy.

I keep clean, fish-only 5 gallon buckets (with lid) around just in case I ever need to move fish in a hurry. For a lone betta you can probably get away with a large mason jar 3/4 full of the old tank water and take the lid off every now and then for fresh air. Make sure he doesn't try to jump out...