Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
I'm getting started in the aquarium game and am looking at a 140l (37g) tank. I want to have a centre-piece fish like a Betta, but I'm really eyeing up a red-tailed shark. I have done a bunch of research and think I have a good idea as to its requirements, but I need some concrete advice: is this tank too small for a red-tailed shark?

If it isn't (and I hope it isn't!) what recommendations have you guys got for tankmates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Thanks man! Awesome info. Going by the photo, I think I'll put a redtail off for a few years until I get a bigger tank. It's a good point about a bottom feeder being a poor center-piece. Maybe I'll work back from a good male Betta; one of my local petshops has a few lovely ones.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

So I need a bit of stocking advice. I have a 120l/30g tank and I'm trying to get a good fit of fish for it.

Currently I'm looking at:

10x Neon Tetra
6x Julii Corys
3x Amano Shrimp
2x Golden Oto
1x Kribensis
1x German Blue Ram

AqAdvisor says that should be good with my filter and tank size and there don't appear to be any compatibility problems. I tried to get a balance between cleanups, shoalers and centerpieces. Anyone got any thoughts or comments?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Sostratos posted:

I have read a lot about kribs and aggression. The kribensis might be a little too feisty for the GBR. You might want to go for a pair of rams and leave the kribensis out. Otos are happiest in groups, so you could probably bump their numbers up to 4. Keep in mind that GBRs are extremely fragile fish, and will keel over and die at the smallest provocation. I'd recommend Bolivian rams in their place: they are beautiful, hardy, and full of personality. They're also about the same size as the GBRs.

I picked the GBR because it looked pretty, but when checking my nearest shop online I saw they had Bolvian rams and no GBRs. So that answers that one, thanks! The krib is pretty, but a pair of rams could be great.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Earlier in the thread people were recommending the Python water changer. This looks neat, but is it safe to add the dechlorinator directly to the tank when you top it up?

I'm also looking at the Tetra EasyBalance Plus. Anyone got any experience with these sorts of products?

Plavski fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Oct 8, 2014

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I'm going to be picking up some adorable Cory Sterbai's at the weekend and I'm curious about how they would deal with a grassy tank bottom. Right now I have a gravel base, but as I've been adding more plants and a couple pieces of lovely driftwood, I want to start putting some foreground greenery in too.

Will the Cory's be okay with some lilaeopsis brasiliensis on the bottom? Do you guys have any other recommendations for a nice green carpet?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I got a 30 gallon with 10 neon tetra, 6 sterbai corydoras, 3 dwarf gourami, 6 amano shrimp and I'll be adding a couple of apisto macmasteri and apisto cacatuoides at the weekend. It's a pretty nice mix of shoaling, bottom feeding, mid-range, cleanup and beautiful fish.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Did you test the water?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Had an early morning semi-tragedy!

One of my dwarf gourami got themselves stuck in one of the exits from a tunnel-happy bit of rock I have. It had over-estimated its own girth and the poor little bugger was vibrating back and forth trying to get itself unstuck. He eventually wedged himself in so tight there was no way out. It was incredibly lucky that I happened to be watching at the time and could gently, but firmly, push the poor terrified little fish out of the hole. It spent the next half hour barely swimming around, with a slightly torn fin and a shellshocked expression. Hopefully it will have de-stressed by the time I get home from work.

That sort of stuff really sets the nerves on edge.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

With regards to filters, I have a Fluval 306 for my 30 gallon and it's amazing. I upgraded from an Interpet pf3 internal and the difference is stunning. It's whisper quiet, has amazing flow and was a great investment. It's a pain to setup though - gotta cut the hoses to length yourself, clean everything out, hook it up etc. But it's very much worth the hassle.

I was gonna go with a 206, but the 306 was like 10 bucks more and gives you loads more headroom.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

My LFS has that poem embroidered and hanging over their door.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I added a male and female macmasteri to a 30 gallon community tank with like 25 other fish. The two cockatoo's who were already in there are going crazy and harassing the macmasteri's to the end of the tank and back - the male keeps roaming around hunting for them. I think the female cockatoo is trying to setup a rock to breed in and it's causing hyper aggression.

The tank is heavily planted, so there are hiding places, but this aggression is really starting to be a concern. Is there anything that can be done besides waiting out the nesting for the cockatoos? I don't have another tank I can put them in.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Or get some more happy algae-eaters like otos or amanos!

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Don't SAE get really fat and old and stop eating algae? Otos and amanos 4 lyfe!

I put two otos in my tank last week and my glass has never been cleaner. The 6 amanos I have do great work on the plants and rocks, when they haven't scooped up a food pellet and legged it away while the gouramis stare at them, that is.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Yeah, my LFG mentioned that the Flying Fox gets quite aggressive as it gets older, which I'd always pegged as an SAE trait. He said that SAEs don't get that aggressive, but they do lose their appetite for algae once they mature though.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Do they play well with tropical fish? I have a non aggressive tank and would like to keep it that way. I do have one male beta as well.

They're pretty peaceable and may only fin-nip when it comes to feeding. For this reason, long finned fish aren't recommended, so I'm not sure it would play brilliantly with your betta.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Stoca Zola posted:

It was gone already this morning, which I think is a good sign that the competition has taken hold (or maybe it just broke off and ended up in the filter).

Or maybe it's slowly crawling its way up your leg right now.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Just try not to mix apistos. I had a pair of cacatuoides and macmasteris and it was a warzone. The cacatuoides went back to the shop and now my macmasteris have the run of the place and don't bother any of my other fish. They get pretty nastily territorial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

KARMA! posted:

How do you know your tank is ready?

Test the water and make sure Ammonia is 0, Nitrites are 0 and Nitrates are very close to 0 too. The best thing to do is take a sample of your water to your local fish shop and get them to test it.