Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I vaguely recall not hating a Planescape novel I've read a long time ago. I'm not sure which one it was but it might have been this one.

Also, I think you might enjoy Three Parts Dead and The Half-Made World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Megazver posted:

I vaguely recall not hating a Planescape novel I've read a long time ago. I'm not sure which one it was but it might have been this one.

Also, I think you might enjoy Three Parts Dead and The Half-Made World.
Three Parts Dead was fantastic, and I don't know why it didn't connect with me until right now that the reason I enjoyed it as much as I did was because it felt like a Planescape book.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I've read Three Parts Dead and The Half Made World. They were both quite good, although not as ontologically pessimistic as Planescape.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Neurosis posted:

Anyone have an opinion on the Deepgate Codex books? I had a recent playthrough of Planescape Torment and I'm looking for something literary in the similar vein that isn't crap.

The first one was quite good if very dark at times. The sequels as the poster above said get increasingly disconnected. There are some individually excellent moments (I loved the idea and much of the execution of the Penny Devils) with an interesting cosmology but really book 2 has almost nothing to do with book 1 and book 3 seems to be the end of another trilogy altogether. I didn't regret reading them but equally I'm not sure I'd choose to again.

For that Planescape itch have you tried some of the later entries in Moorcock's muliverse?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Neurosis posted:

Anyone have an opinion on the Deepgate Codex books? I had a recent playthrough of Planescape Torment and I'm looking for something literary in the similar vein that isn't crap.

Complete and total train wreck, of the kind where the train goes off the rails and careens off thru the wilderness with parts flying out all over until it finally falls over on its side.

BigSkillet
Nov 27, 2003
I said teaberry, not sandalwood!

Neurosis posted:

If it's multiverse-type books you're looking for, Vellum by Hal Duncan is either the most ambitious or most pretentious use of that concept depending on how you take to its unusual narrative structure. Probably worth experiencing either way.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Really liked City of Stairs, how's his other work? Specifically, I'm looking at American Elsewhere and The Troupe.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Junkenstein posted:

Really liked City of Stairs, how's his other work? Specifically, I'm looking at American Elsewhere and The Troupe.

I just finished it up the other day myself and was wondering the same. It was definitely a nice self-contained book with excellent world building.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Wowzer, Foxglove Summer sure does end, huh?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Neurosis posted:

Completely unrelated but I hope they make an EE of Planescape so I can play it on my iPad. I'm just going through Durlag's Tower in BG and I've stuck with it better than ever before because I can just play it sitting in front of the fireplace instead of needing to be in my office.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

Junkenstein posted:

I haven't read anything of his other than Mr. Shivers, but that book was godawful. Definitely stay away from that one. I think it even had its own mock thread here somewhere because it was so bad and that guy is/was a goon.

It put such a bad taste in my mouth, I can't bring myself to read anything else by him even though I read an excerpt of City of Stairs and it was not bad.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Wowzer, Foxglove Summer sure does end, huh?

Yeah it could have used an extra chapter as a summary/wrap-up device since that's kind of a standard for that type of book, still I admire the moxy it takes to just end the book at the plot's resolution and assume the reader was savvy enough to have picked up on everything that happened.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Lowly posted:

I haven't read anything of his other than Mr. Shivers, but that book was godawful. Definitely stay away from that one. I think it even had its own mock thread here somewhere because it was so bad and that guy is/was a goon.

It put such a bad taste in my mouth, I can't bring myself to read anything else by him even though I read an excerpt of City of Stairs and it was not bad.

His second book, The Company Man, is really pretty good. It's a noirish detective story set in an alt history Seattle where this company has all this weird technology from mysterious origins. I haven't read anything by him other than City of Stairs, and The Company Man isn't like that book at all, but it's definitely a solid read and worth checking out.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Lowly posted:

I remember buying that for my Kindle, never realized City of Stairs was by the same guy. Didn't hate it, but it was largely boring.

I haven't seen it mentioned much in this thread, and I don't want to touch it's thread for fear of major spoilers, but I'm really enjoying the audiobook of The Name of the Wind. It's not super duper original and unique or anything, but well written and fun to read. Though the main character might be a bit too perfect.

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia

Nevvy Z posted:

I remember buying that for my Kindle, never realized City of Stairs was by the same guy. Didn't hate it, but it was largely boring.

I haven't seen it mentioned much in this thread, and I don't want to touch it's thread for fear of major spoilers, but I'm really enjoying the audiobook of The Name of the Wind. It's not super duper original and unique or anything, but well written and fun to read. Though the main character might be a bit too perfect.

Everyone here loves this book.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I want to buy a fantasy or scifi ebook for my brother in law for Xmas. Any suggestions?

He's a computer geek that likes Discworld, Jim Butcher, Star Wars, Game of Thrones, LOTR, mainstream nerd stuff really. (He did not cry for the EU when Disney executed it.) City of Stairs has a decent following here, would that be a good choice?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Take a look at the Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch. City of Stairs is a decent book but I think it might be a little niche -- it's very social-issues fantasy about religion and colonialism etc.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

It is also really really very good. I agree that it's pretty niche and probably won't appeal to everyone, but its one of those books that does it's niche very well indeed.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I'll look at Rivers of London, keep the recs coming if anyone else has any.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

HIJK posted:

I'll look at Rivers of London, keep the recs coming if anyone else has any.

You might want to look at Paul Cornell's London Falling. On its face it sounds a little like Rivers of London (London police dealing with the occult), but it's very different in tone, and also an excellent read. The sequel, The Severed Streets just came out, and was also great.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

HIJK posted:

I want to buy a fantasy or scifi ebook for my brother in law for Xmas. Any suggestions?

He's a computer geek that likes Discworld, Jim Butcher, Star Wars, Game of Thrones, LOTR, mainstream nerd stuff really. (He did not cry for the EU when Disney executed it.) City of Stairs has a decent following here, would that be a good choice?

Good Omens

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

HIJK posted:

The Laundry Files by Charles Stross sound like they might be his catnip.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Lots of good suggestions guys, thanks!

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

McCoy Pauley posted:

His second book, The Company Man, is really pretty good. It's a noirish detective story set in an alt history Seattle where this company has all this weird technology from mysterious origins. I haven't read anything by him other than City of Stairs, and The Company Man isn't like that book at all, but it's definitely a solid read and worth checking out.

I second that. Company Man was pretty solid.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
LAST ARGUMENT OF KINGS (FIRST LAW) SPOILERS HERE

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Logen is not exactly a people person.
He kind of is! He's a social dynamo when he's not the Bloody Nine , it just tends to go horribly wrong for him in the end. Look at his attempts to befriend Jezal and Ferro on their journey (the latter only failing because of her). How he instantly wins the affection of Union soldiers he travelled north with, and his broship with the Dogman.

On the other hand, I did just get up to him challenging Bethod for Carleon and Bethod making us realise that the younger Logen/Bloody Nine is basically responsible for all of this and...drat. :smith:

The death of Tul Duru Thunderhead loving sucked too. :smith:

Torrannor posted:

I found the wrap-up of the First Law trilogy was handled well. Nearly every story and character arc will be resolved, so you don't need to worry.
Ah, that's good to hear. I have no idea how it's going to go down with so much book left. So much stuff happening!

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

VagueRant posted:

LAST ARGUMENT OF KINGS (FIRST LAW) SPOILERS HERE
He kind of is! He's a social dynamo when he's not the Bloody Nine , it just tends to go horribly wrong for him in the end. Look at his attempts to befriend Jezal and Ferro on their journey (the latter only failing because of her). How he instantly wins the affection of Union soldiers he travelled north with, and his broship with the Dogman.

On the other hand, I did just get up to him challenging Bethod for Carleon and Bethod making us realise that the younger Logen/Bloody Nine is basically responsible for all of this and...drat. :smith:

Ah, that's good to hear. I have no idea how it's going to go down with so much book left. So much stuff happening!

Well, Red Country puts another perspective of him.
Saying Logen is a good man is kinda hard to motivate. On the other hand, there are no good people in Abercrombies books, just morally ambiguous ones.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

VagueRant posted:

This one hit me really hard and I still dunno why.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Grimwall posted:

gently caress off, not everyone does. I thought it was terrible.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Hedrigall posted:

gently caress off, not everyone does. I thought it was terrible.

Pretty sure that was meant sarcastically.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I still didn't get around to reading The Way Into Chaos but the Black Gate review seems very promising.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Grimwall posted:

The Auri novella has torn apart the Rothfuss thread apart! :saddowns:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Snuffman posted:

The Auri novella has torn apart the Rothfuss thread apart! :saddowns:

I occasionally dip in there, and even before then it seemed to be a lot of words people had written about a series they hate. Like The Bad Thread, but less talk about genitals.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Seconding this.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Speaking of Connolly's kickstarted books I actually liked A Key, An Egg, An Unfortunate Remark a lot more than the Great Way series, which I thought was kinda mediocre The ending is super deus ex machina and comes from nowhere with little buildup. A Key, An Egg, An Unfortunate Remark is basically a much less grimdark version of his Twenty Palaces series and was pretty good IMO.

Piell fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 24, 2014

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Talking of which, Radio 4 are currently doing a version of Good Omens

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Wachepti posted:

Seconding this.

He has read and enjoys Good Omens. :)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Ursus Veritas posted:

Yeah it could have used an extra chapter as a summary/wrap-up device since that's kind of a standard for that type of book, still I admire the moxy it takes to just end the book at the plot's resolution and assume the reader was savvy enough to have picked up on everything that happened.

Turns out the Waterstones special edition actually had an extra chapter which sounds second-hand like it might be that chapter.

Which sucks, moving relevant material into single-supplier special editions is not playing the game well.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Are you loving serious?

Are we going to be looking at DLC FOR BOOKS NOW?

Edit: Wikipedia lists it as a short story.

Junkenstein fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Dec 24, 2014

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
My admittedly second-hand understanding is that it was a chapter set during the drive back to London with Beverly and the child who was raised by the faeries.

I'm not going to buy it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Piell posted:

Speaking of Connolly's kickstarted books I actually liked A Key, An Egg, An Unfortunate Remark a lot more than the Great Way series, which I thought was kinda mediocre The ending is super deus ex machina and comes from nowhere with little buildup. A Key, An Egg, An Unfortunate Remark is basically a much less grimdark version of his Twenty Palaces series and was pretty good IMO.

Are they basically the same plot over and over again like Twenty Palaces was?