Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
I thought it was beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

I just finished the hotly-anticipated The Dinosaur Lords. It was...not good. The Dino fights were decent at least, but that's all the good I have to say about it. Shame, really.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

navyjack posted:

I just finished the hotly-anticipated The Dinosaur Lords. It was...not good. The Dino fights were decent at least, but that's all the good I have to say about it. Shame, really.
Could you go into detail?

I read a (fairly positive) review and it sounded pretty derivative.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
It seems to me that the book is mainly famous as a result of its pretty dope cover art...which :laugh:

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

My mother always said not to judge a book by its cover. Why didn't I listen?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Mars4523 posted:

Could you go into detail?

I read a (fairly positive) review and it sounded pretty derivative.

I'll try to put something more substantive up today.

regularizer
Mar 5, 2012

I picked up Archivist Wasp because of a glowing Tor.com review and a fairly high rating on goodreads, but halfway through it's very mediocre. It's semi-YA, and I can't help but compare it to Railsea and The Coldest Girl in Coldtown, both of which are similar in certain respects but are much better.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

regularizer posted:

I picked up Archivist Wasp because of a glowing Tor.com review and a fairly high rating on goodreads, but halfway through it's very mediocre. It's semi-YA, and I can't help but compare it to Railsea and The Coldest Girl in Coldtown, both of which are similar in certain respects but are much better.

I liked archivist wasp quite a bit but i couldn't shake the feeling that it reminded me of a video game. I'm not sure which game, or if that's a bad thing, but that feeling has stuck with me a couple of weeks after i finished it.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Thanks for the recs, I have a list now. I started with Rainbow's End and it's pretty awesome so far. I'm really interested in augmented reality so it's perfect for that.

As for Hardwired, it's among my favorites already. I forgot to mention it in my first post. I also love Voice of the Whirlwind. I've read it three times. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes semi-realistic space stuff, badass zen warrior bullshit, and something of the cyberpunk ethos threaded throughout.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

chrisoya posted:

Do you mind ridiculous levels of action? The Mirrored Heavens by David J Williams. Daniel Keys Moran's Continuing Time series - the first book has a prologue that doesn't represent the rest of the series, mind. Emerald Eyes is the first book, the second (The Long Run) has more of a focus on crime.

I'd post better suggestions but I'm heading out. You've read Effinger right?

And I haven't read Effinger, no.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I really enjoyed Rainbows End, and it's sad that people don't like it.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Junkenstein posted:

This is quite the long, boring epilogue Aurora has....

First KSR novel eh?

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

People don't like Rainbows End? Why? Is it because the protagonist is a total rear end in a top hat for like 99% of the book?

I loved it. Kinda surprised there wasn't a sequel because, iirc it's been like 6 years since I read it, the ending is left open enough for one.

It's the only Vernor Vinge book I've read because his other post-singularity books seemed a little too out there for me.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

0 rows returned posted:

It's the only Vernor Vinge book I've read because his other post-singularity books seemed a little too out there for me.

Deepness and Fire are great books, too. Having read those first and then going into Rainbows was a bit of a shock to my expectations since it was so...moderate and conservative, relatively.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Martello posted:

And I haven't read Effinger, no.
George Alec Effinger wrote good cyberpunk set in basically Arabic New Orleans. Start with When Gravity Fails.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

0 rows returned posted:

Deepness is an explicitly pre-singularity story.

Logical1234
Dec 3, 2013
Since the first page hints said including detail was important. Welll... I'm sorry in advance.

Warriors , written by Erin Hunter, is a great long rear end saga of books!

I'm gonna explain Warriors in detail, mostly because I find it one of the weirdest premises on it own, without adding in its fantasy elements.

Warriors focus on four clans of feral cats.vnamely focusing on Thunderclan. These cats had a honor code, etc. Every six books would end a major story arc, and then the next series would focus on the next generation of warrior cats. The books fantasy elements came from Starclan, where all the cats spirits went when they died. They gave leaders of the Clans nine lives, and prophecies future events

It was by the third/fourth series, that the fantasy elements became the main focus. Three cats were born, and they were reincarnations of cats from another spiritual focused society. A blind medicine cat who could see beyond time and space, literally going back in time, possessing his previous life. A warrior cat who could never be harmed in battle. A she-cat who's hearing was so great, she can hear what is occurring in the after life. Not to mention evil warrior spirits were plotting ot nvade both StarClan and reality to conquer both. As ghost cats.

Warriors already was chaotic enough with the internal Clan politics. But by the last series of book, the dead were literally rising to go to war! How did a story about feral cats, become... well what I'm describing?

But yeah, the warriors books go beyond the main series at this point. Their one-books for expanding the setting of the world.
Their comics that can be read to connect to the main stories. Warriors has literally become a saga, and apparently the writers are still adding new stories into the Warrirors timeline. It would take a lot to read EVERYTHING.

However ignoring the fantasy, and the complicated Clan politics, you got some pretty decently well written characters. These books go places emotionally, that some MOVIES or TV Show's, never achieve.

I mean everything involving the tragic downfall of Leafpool and the actions she took..... it's just so cold. She never gets her deserved happy ending.

But yeah, that's my obscure "fantasy" book series. If you curious on the books, just ask me. I'm probably the only guy who read the books at all.

.......Man I have no life.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Logical1234 posted:

a great long rear end saga of books!
(tn: "saga" means "story")

a great long rear end story of books!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Cats are pretty cute

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Maybe start reading actual sagas like Brennu-Njáls Saga or Grettis Saga before you start throwing around words you don't actually know what they mean, just a thought.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I need a saga. What's the saga? Songs for the deaf. You can't even hear 'em!

Robotnik
Dec 3, 2004
STUPID
DICK
The Warriors books aren't obscure, they just aren't read by adults.

As a librarian I can tell you that preteens read those books by the cartload.

It's just a next generation redwall, of lower quality.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Robotnik posted:

As a librarian I can tell you that preteens read those books by the cartload.

I looked at the wikipedia page and yeah that's the kind of thing that if they had been out when I was a kid I'd have been all over it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

corn in the bible posted:

Cats are pretty cute
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI3EEdU9zvc

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Great Joe posted:

Maybe start reading actual sagas like Brennu-Njáls Saga or Grettis Saga before you start throwing around words you don't actually know what they mean, just a thought.

A good idea. And if you want something that's like a saga but also within the SF/fantasy field, there's Poul Anderson's The Broken Sword.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

navyjack posted:

It was not a good book. In fact, I would say it was actively bad.

It started off over-emphasizing the dinosaurs. Everything leather tells you what dinosaur speciies the leather came from, everything that could be referenced to a dinosaur was, it started off with a strong feel of HEY GUYS THIS BOOK HAS DINOSAURS DID YOU KNOW THAT LOOK DINOSAURS? The dinosaurs felt very hamfisted, and the high moment of actual dinosaur combat was handled in the first few chapters; after that one battle you could replace the dinosaurs with regular animals and keep the same exact feel.

The political intrigue storyline was awful and lacking in intrigue. The gist of it is that the emperor is a wind vane who just goes where the wind is blowing, so none of the manipulations of him had to even try. They're just like "Hey, emperor! This is a terrible idea, we should totally do it" and he responds with "gently caress yeah! I love terrible ideas!" and does it every loving time. The princess is a sulky spoiled princess who basically does nothing for the story except serve to point out that this is a culture where a bikini can be overdressing and who gets raped by the bad guy to prove how evil he is. The bad guy also doesn't WANT TO be a bad guy but every time he tries to not be a bad guy somebody goes "But what about doing some evil poo poo, don't you want to do evil poo poo?" and he goes "Well, I dooooo love me some evil poo poo..."

The storyline with the actual knight battles followed "Jaume", who is the prettiest and greatest knight and the prettiest and greatest poet, and his Companions, which is his personal knightly order of pretty gay knight-artists. (pretty in the beauty sense, not the 'this is pretty gay' sense, seriously, there is a "You must be at least this pretty" requirement to joining them. They're also pretty gay, though, in the sense of "this is a knightly order comprised almost entirely of artistic gay men"). Anyways, it follows them on the path to war as they try to restrain the rest of the religious zealots and and noble scumbags that are in their army. This is played off pretty badly, as they're basically the sensitive gay guys trying to rein in the brutes they have to work with.

The only storyline that was remotely interesting was that of the mercenaries in the north, and that was pretty stock. Cynical guy is cynical, broody guy is broody, stupid clients are stupid, etc. This one could have been promising if it had been built up more, but far too much time was spent on the previous two appallingly bad storylines to do anything with it.

This book was pretty loving awful and it replaces Queen of Fire as my "Worst book of the year", which is something that, frankly, I didn't think was possible. Returned it immediately after finishing it, and I only finished it so that I could properly tell other people how bad it was.

Ugh.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Khizan posted:

This book was pretty loving awful and it replaces Queen of Fire as my "Worst book of the year", which is something that, frankly, I didn't think was possible. Returned it immediately after finishing it, and I only finished it so that I could properly tell other people how bad it was.

I admire your effort. Personally, I feel comfortable and secure in making GBS threads on a book if I didn't like it after, like, ten pages.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I'm loving red Mars...it feels like I'm actually on Mars watching it be terraformed and colonized

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

angel opportunity posted:

I'm loving red Mars...it feels like I'm actually on Mars watching it be terraformed and colonized

It's amazing the sense of knowing Mars as a real place you get from the books. He really does manage to make the planet a character.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
drat straight! I think his motto must have been 'do it perfectly or don't do it at all'.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I can't not think of Mars whenever I hear or read "escarpment."

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

0 rows returned posted:

People don't like Rainbows End? Why? Is it because the protagonist is a total rear end in a top hat for like 99% of the book?

I loved it. Kinda surprised there wasn't a sequel because, iirc it's been like 6 years since I read it, the ending is left open enough for one.

I think people maybe find it kind of boring because it's low conflict? I liked it as a depiction of a society on the upwards curve towards the Singularity.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Low conflict? the bad guy invents universal mind control and the protagonist ends up sacrificing his limbs to save his grand daughter from molten lava. And that's after he poisons his daughter-in-law in order to cripple the dystopian extrapolation of Homeland Security. Meanwhile there's a soft takeoff Singularity going on in the background

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

navyjack posted:

wow shocking

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

:siren: THE NEW DANIEL FAUST BOOK IS OUT AND ON KINDLE UNLIMITED :siren:

Christ this dude writes FAST. The last book came out in January I think.

Anyway, http://www.amazon.com/Killing-Floor-Blues-Daniel-Faust-ebook/dp/B01358M5XS

Go forth and get it.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

pseudorandom name posted:

Low conflict? the bad guy invents universal mind control and the protagonist ends up sacrificing his limbs to save his grand daughter from molten lava. And that's after he poisons his daughter-in-law in order to cripple the dystopian extrapolation of Homeland Security. Meanwhile there's a soft takeoff Singularity going on in the background

My memory is that this is condensed into a very small number of pages and most of the book is relatively uneventful. It has been a while.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

Anyway, http://www.amazon.com/Killing-Floor-Blues-Daniel-Faust-ebook/dp/B01358M5XS

Go forth and get it.

Awesome, thanks for the heads up.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

Go forth and get it.
This guy is a machine.

And it looks like between Daniel Faust and Revanche we'll also be getting a Harmony Black series, which is cool. Well, I like her.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

pseudorandom name posted:

Here's how much impact that part of the plot had on me: I literally can't remember any of that other than the faint signs of the impending Singularity. In fact without googling for the plot I'm half inclined to thing you're joking, because I certainly don't remember any rescue from lava. The only thing that made a lasting impression on me from that book was the giant pulper-digitizer machine they were using on the library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

Go forth and get it.

I have no idea who this is, but:

I notice it JUST came out and has only one review right now. Amazon weights reviews, so the first ten reviews are the most important to the overall ranking (and thus, sales) so if you really like this guy, leave him a five-star review as fast as you can and it will boost his initial ranking a lot.