Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

So I am looking for recommendations on basically any fantasy that is either a single book or so self-contained that I could read the first book in a series without needing to immediately go into the next part.

Try Dave Duncan's The Gilded Chain. It's fast paced and witty sword and sorcery with some very good characters. It's the first novel in his Tales of the King‘s Blades collection, but it is standalone, as are his other King's Blades novels.

http://daveduncan.com/books/book_details.php?id=16 That's a link to the author's website.

edit: Also, you can't go wrong with any of Joe Abercrombie's standalones. My favorite of his is Best Served Cold, which is a gritty fantasy revenge caper with unique characters, good dialogue, and dark humor.

savinhill fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

ZerodotJander posted:

That was Promise of Blood, by Brian McClellan.

It was a pretty good book too, especially for a debut novel.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Axel Serenity posted:

Think of it more along the lines of Coraline, but with a few segments that are maybe a little too adult or scary for younger readers. There are a ton of Gaiman staples in it for long-time fans, as well. I'm not sure I would quite put it above American Gods or Neverwhere, but looking back, I think I enjoyed it more than Anansi Boys. A very satisfying read after a nearly decade wait for a new adult novel.

I really liked both American Gods and Neverwhere, while not liking Anansi, so I'm going to have to listen to you and read his new one real soon.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

McCoy Pauley posted:

Can anyone recommend any books like "Declare" by Tim Powers?

Declare blew me away when I read it, and hit this sweet spot for me that I guess I'd never really thought about in the way that it combined the occult and the Cold War. I've read a few other Tim Powers books (Anubis Gates, The Stress of Her Regard), which I enjoyed, but the particular setting of Declare worked better for me. I guess the Milkweed Triptych scratch a similar itch (and for WWII occult stuff there's always Hellboy), but where to go from there? I read the first two books in Stross's Laundry Files series, and mostly enjoyed them but found them a little too silly. I loved Kim Newman's Anno Dracula and its sequels -- which I guess has some similarities, but it's not quite the same thing. I find myself at a loss to figure out what else would be close to Declare. Is there anything else like Declare?

Wolfhound Century by Peter Higgins might be something you'll like. It's a fantasy thriller set in an alternate earth totalitarian communist Russia. http://www.wolfhoundcentury.com/

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

Can I get a goonsensus on why I should avoid Ilium and Olympos by Dan Simmons? I remember there being a reason people don't like them but I can't remember what it was and I'm hearing great things about it on another forum. And I love the idea of posthumans recreating the Trojan war on Mars. It sounds loving awesome. I'm really enjoying The Terror by Simmons so far, and Hyperion will be the next book of his I tackle, but I'm wondering why people say stop there.

You should definitely read them. The Trojan War stuff is awesome, and the other plot-lines can be slow at first but get interesting too. The second book wasn't as good as the first for me, but I think most of it had to do with a lot of the mysteries in the series already being revealed, and a large part of the appeal was trying to figure out how all the different elements in the separate plots tied together.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

muike posted:

People really really exaggerate how overtly political mieville's work is. Yeah, it's there, because that's the lens he sees the world through. His fiction is not the same as his paper on international law and marxism or whatever. He's a marxist who likes cool rear end monsters and strange fantasy worlds.

Yeah, I agree.

fritz posted:

I think the background level of support for libertarianism and capitalism in the genre is so incredibly high that any amount of heterodoxy will really stand out.

I also find this is an exaggeration too. Sure, there's some authors with extreme right political views, but I think people focus on them so much to complain about them that it seems there's a higher percentage of them in the genre than probably actually exists.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I just finished House of Suns, before that I read Terminal World as I wanted to try out some of Alastair Reynold's non-Revelation Space novels. I liked both of them a lot. What are peoples' opinions of his other non-RS material?

Also, are there any authors that are similar to Reynolds? I really enjoy his style of writing. He's great at establishing some dark, creepy and unsettling atmospheres and situations.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Ferret posted:

Also, it's a CRYING SHAME that Paul S. Kemp is not mentioned in the Sword and Sorcery section of the OP. He's probably best known as a Forgotten Realms author, but his original stuff is The Tales of Egil and Nix ( book 1: The Hammer and the Blade, book 2 (just out last week): A Discourse in Steel). These are pulp S&S tales and are just GREAT fun.

I've seen these books before and thought about getting them but wasn't sure how the quality would be, glad you posted this, I'm going to check them out now.

Also, thanks for the sci-fi recommendations, I'm probably going to read Ship of Fools first, I'm really intrigued by it's description. Vernor Vinge will be the next sci-fi author I read after that. I've already read Leviathan Wakes. I liked it a lot, wish the second book was as good as it, shouldn't have left Miller out of it, he was their best character.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Cardiac posted:

I've been enjoying Paul McAuley and his Quiet War series as well as his other books.
Not as grim as Reynolds, but no FTL, class war between Earth and its colonies, gene wizards, all kept within the Solar system.

I read the first of these, and besides a couple of slow parts with a ton of description, it was very good. Are the sequels just as good as the first one?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Geek U.S.A. posted:

Anyone know any good sci-fi about the discovery of a big unidentified object and that's not written by Clarke/Reynolds/Niven?

I have no idea of it's quality, but while looking around on Amazon, I came across this novel's description that sounds like what you're looking for: http://www.amazon.com/The-January-Dancer-Michael-Flynn/dp/0765357798

Oh, it's name is The January Dancer, and it's by Michael Flynn.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Paulo Bacigalupi wrote two YA novels, Ship Breakers and The Drowned Cities, that are pretty good. They're future dystopian sci-fi where most of the earth's resources are depleted.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

coyo7e posted:

I'm putting forward the idea that the majority of people who complain so vocally about this are American and raised christian or were heavily influenced by christian values on sexuality, so they get uncomfortable, regardless.

I always just attributed it to being the internet and people like acting like somethings are way worse than they really are.

Joe Abercrombie's sex scenes are hilarious and fit the tone of his books perfectly.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Haerc posted:

Has anyone read River of Stars? I'm about half way through and not enjoying it as much as I did Under Heaven.

I enjoyed it although I felt some POV characters were much more interesting than others and wished the book focused on just them.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

fritz posted:

It's basically schlock, and not even very good schlock.

Better than SM Stirling's schlock?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Megazver posted:

Because his series was cancelled because of sales and all publishers refused to buy his new series because of midlist death spiral. Being "published" is hardly the ticket to gravy train a lot of people think it is.

Yeah, even being published and being super talented is no guarantee that an author can actually make a living writing. I hope this guy's successful with his Kickstarter and more authors in his situation can use it in the future.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

House Louse posted:

:stonk: I don't remember this... I'll stop defending him now. I didn't suggest Rhialto because one of the stories is about the wizards stopping an uppity witch who's trying to turn them into women, and the wizards say things like "the Murthe must be thwarted if we are not to witness the final triumph of the female race!"

I never thought Vance intended for the reader to root for most of the Dying Earth characters, or think that their goals were admirable in any way. I always thought they were poking fun at how hosed up all the characters and world were, especially the wizards, and how they would use their powers in pursuit of some of the stupidest poo poo.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

ManOfTheYear posted:

my criteria is that it shouldn't be pure entertainment. Well written and exciting is all fine, nothing wrong with that, but I want books that in one way or another make me think. Like if the books have some interesting philosophical stuff or the theme is morally or otherwise (for example it's about political or racial issues) interesting. Well written is a huge plus. If the books are adult and mature fantasy, that would be fun.

Science fiction is alright too.

Edit: Oh, and if the books would have something interesting to say about religion, it would be extremely interesting.

Try R. Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing trilogy. They're very well written and fit all your criteria, especially concerning religion and philosophy.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

General Battuta posted:

I would disrecommend those - I loved them a lot as a teenage boy but his writing peaked and then started to slump, and while he's decent at philosophy his science research is awful. If you want to read books about rape and all the ways that labiaplasty is like female genital mutilation by an author who 'writes with male readers in mind', I guess go for them; I don't actively regret reading his books, but if you're looking for sophistication I don't think they will hold up.

e: Probably my first post in the old SF/F thread, maybe one of my first posts on SA, was an extensive defense of Bakker. :sigh:

I've never understood this attitude where people feel the need to "disrecommend" something. Also, I find "If you want to read books about rape and all the ways that labiaplasty is like female genital mutilation by an author who 'writes with male readers in mind', I guess go for them;" pretty insulting. You yourself may have some problems with his books, but acting like anyone who reads them is doing so for "rape" and "labiaplasty" is just being a jerk.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

They can be organic enough to have sex with the crew. That's not something I ever needed to know.

Gary Gibson's Shoal books had something like this, it led to some funny scenes in it.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

BrosephofArimathea posted:

I just finished Blood Song, by Anthony Ryan last night. It's a bit Rothfuss (kid goes to school/monastary, develops mad skills and battles both politics and hidden dark powers which we slowly learn as he narrates the tale to a scribe), but if that's the kind of thing you are looking for, it's one of the best. The characterisation is good, the plot is pretty tight, the action scenes are well written, the world and it's history are nicely developed and he *just* stays on the right side of Fantasy Name Syndrome.

It was getting towards bad-Rothfuss when the protagonist developed a crush on Hero Girl, but then instead of being a whiny bitch for 400 pages, he just goes about his business. And has an awesome dog.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13569581-blood-song

Turns out it was originally self-published, which is surprising because it's well written, pretty lean and no one has weird sex with dinosaurs.

I'll definitely pick up the next installment.

Yeah, it was very conventional fantasy with a lot of standard tropes, but the author's an awesome storyteller and I couldn't put this down til I was finished. Really looking forward to what this dude writes in the future.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

ravenkult posted:

Can you guys recommend any books that feature wilderness survival? Think Jack London.
I've read Hatchet, the aforementioned Jack London and a book called Into the Forest, which was bad.

I just started reading Kim Stanley Robinson's Shaman and it seems like a major focus of it will be surviving off the land in prehistoric times.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

Why is the cover art for most genre novels so bad? The illustrations in a dungeons and dragons manual or on a magic card are way better than most cover art.

I hate the current trend of boring covers that are just a picture of some model posing dressed up as a character from the book.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

anathenema posted:

That place is still around?

Anyway, can anyone recommend me something fun in fantasy that isn't totally stupid? It doesn't have to be brilliant, but something along the lines of the energy of the Gentlemen Bastards stories would be good.

Try Robert VS Reddick's Chathrand Voyage series. It's fun, has a ton of awesome adventure, and it also has a large scope with world building and history that has a lot of impact on the greater story and plot.

Megazver posted:

I believe there's already a place for that, the comments section of Requires Only That You Hate. Going to be as productive, too.

Yeah, I agree.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Lowly posted:

On the subject of actual books, I just finished the Acacia series by David Anthony Durham. I have kind of mixed feelings about it. It's an entertaining fantasy trilogy with powerful protagonists who save the world from terrible threats and grow and change along the way. It also has some really interesting ways of dealing with topics like racial and cultural divides and the use and abuse of power, as well as the human condition. And the character of Corinn is one of the best genre characters I have encountered aside from Scott Lynch's characters.

On the other hand, I felt like Durham had a bunch of interesting things to say, using this plotline he had engineered, and then when he had sort of introduced all of the interesting ideas that he wanted to, he had placed his characters in an impossible situation that would take a really long time to work out plausibly. But rather than go the route of George RR Martin and plan eight more books in the series, he just waved his hands and went with an "a wizard fixed it" type of ending. I appreciate the brevity, but I wished he might have worked a little harder to come up with something more in keeping with the tone of the rest of the story. And in order to effect his miraculous ending that solves all the problems, he undermined his message about power and the fallibility of humanity by creating a Jesus-like savior character that makes no mistakes, does no wrong and can fix any problem, now matter how huge and dire in scale, with some vague and magical solution.

I read that series too. I loved the first book but thought the second was kinda boring and didn't enjoy it that much. I read the third and final book in the hopes that it would return to the form of the first, and while it did have some things I liked a lot, it also had some of the same problems that made me dislike the second. I didn't have strong feelings about how it ended really because I became disinterested with it as a whole and wasn't invested enough with it anymore. I think one of my major problems was that he killed/abandoned some of the more interesting characters/settings too soon and the stuff he replaced them with just didn't measure up.

Also, yeah, Corinn was a great character. If more of the story arcs in this were anywhere near as good as her's, this would've been a much better/popular series.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I didn't mind the magic in Red Knight at all. Anytime that the author went into detail about it's workings, it seemed it was used more for character development than establishing a rulebook, which is better imo. Other than that, it made for some great scenes in the huge battles and sieges.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Sometimes I like a pulpy series that has the magic system as it's main focus and driving force, but in general I do prefer when it's just one of many cool elements in the setting and doesn't have all it's mechanics meticulously mapped out. I'd say Sanderson falls into the magic system pulpy fantasy category, it's enjoyable but isn't gonna break any real new ground writing wise.

savinhill fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 12, 2014

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I liked Under Heaven and River of Stars better than Al Rassan because they had less of Kay's tendency of withholding someone's identity, or some other detail, during pivotal scenes so that it can be revealed later as a twist or surprise.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

thecallahan posted:

And you won't have to wait too long to read the sequel to Blood Song if you like it as it comes out in July! I'm really hoping the quality at least stays the same. I've been burned plenty of times by a first time authors follow up book.

The last year or two has had some good first time fantasy authors. Just off the top of my head I can think of Ryan's Bloodsong, Cameron's the Red Knight, Luke Skull's Grim Company, Peter Higgin's Wolfhound Century and Brian McClellan's Promise of Blood. There's more too that I just can't think of right now.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Didn't Half Made World end on sort of a cliffhanger?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

coyo7e posted:

Most of the way through this book, it was longer than I expected from the battle tempo which picks up early and never lets off. In Audio version it's pretty easy to keep up with the scene changes mid-chapter due to the "X Location - Y Character" perspective intro each time it switches. I'm looking forward to the next books in this series because it's a rollicking good time involving dudes in heavy armor killing monsters and each other for about 1/3 to 1/2 of the total pages, with a decent muddying of the morality waters from all sides along the trip.

I keep wanting to insert this story into an Arthurian rewrite though, a lot of names and locations are recognizable, although they may be spelled differently than they were pronounced in the audio version. The trials and travails of sir "Gawenn" (sp) certainly struck me, as well as a couple of others. There's also one character whom I could easily see turning into Lancelot without much trouble in later books..

Cameron does write some great, really fun battles and action/adventure. I've seen some people complain about his descriptions and the words he'll use for different armor and arms, but I think this type of stuff does a good job of reinforcing the highly chivalric medieval setting he's built.

I read an interview that Cameron did and Arthurian was one of the words he used to describe it, the second book also makes some of those parallels clearer.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'm like the only one that enjoys Sanderson's dadhumor.

The only non-WoT thing by him I've read is Warbreaker but I liked the funny character in that.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I mean I have liked gritty fantasy novels but I don't necessarily need a 'gritty fantasy' book. I'd just like a good fantasy book with good characters and maybe a cool world. From what you describe I'd probably not want Malazan because Fantasy cliches aren't all that appealing to me. I am looking for a fantasy novel so I guess some tropes come with the territory.

Abercrombie's really good. His books are gritty and all that but they have a lot of dark humor and the characters are great.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
The three main characters in the Warded Man series did suck, their sidekicks were so much better.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

RisqueBarber posted:

Can anyone shed some light on whether or not to read The Fell Sword by Miles Cameron? The reviews seem vastly mixed. I loved the Red Knight but what I loved was the fast pace of it, and I hear The Fell Sword is very slow.

I liked it almost as much as the first one. I didn't find it slow, but it did introduce new characters and places and the action was more spread out amongst different locations than it was in the first one, so I can see how some people might have a harder time getting into it as fast as the first one. It's definitely less self contained, so if you don't feel like getting caught up in a series and having to wait for the sequel, then I'd just wait on reading it.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
People should read TC McCarthy's The Subterrene War series if they wanna read well written military scifi that has a very large focus on the moral and ethical implications of war, with it taking a very heavy toll on the characters' psyches and lives.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Amberskin posted:

Man, THANKS a lot for this suggestion. I finished Germline yesterday, and it has been one of my greatest reads in the last years. Not an easy one (the writing is heavy in slang and it is sometimes difficult to follow for a non-english speaker), but both the battle/war descriptions and the inner world of the character are well developed and written. It is quite predictable sometimes, but great anyway.

Now I will get the rest of the series, for sure, but not immediately. Those are not light books, and I need to read a pair of more refreshing things before going back into that universe.

I'm glad you liked it. Yeah, it is a dark novel, it had the same sort of bleak and cynical vibe as some Vietnam War books that I've read.

Also, each book is pretty self-contained and told from a new and different POV, so you won't have to worry about remembering every little detail just to follow the plot when you start the next one.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I'm about halfway through Brian McClellan's second Powder Mage book, Crimson Campaign, and it's really good so far. I like it even more than the first one.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

holocaust bloopers posted:

I'm reading Germline right now. It's utterly fantastic and heavy as hell.

Yeah, I love that book. The next one might be even darker as it's told from the POV of one of the Germline girls.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Cardiac posted:

So I'm reading Bloodsong by Anthony Ryan, which is good but pretty predictable sofar.
I have started to get tired of the current vogue of grim-dark fantasy with not much magic in the vein of GRRM and Abercrombie.
So I'm looking for some high fantasy with a lot of magic and no story about a young kid growing up to become powerful warrior/wizard/whatever.
I am thinking about something in the same vein and scope as Malazan, WoT, Bakker, Leiber and Elric.
I get bored by Sanderson, so he is out. Anyone got any suggestions?

The Hawkmoon series by Moorcock seems interesting, and I have always had a soft spot for Elric.
Or maybe I should just get down to reading Conan.

Check out the Sunsword series by Michelle West. It's huge in scope like Malazan as well as sharing some other similarities with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Cardiac posted:

Looks kinda interesting.
How good are the characters done ie how stereotypic?
How much magic is present in the series, and to be specific I am talking about fireballs and other forms of highly visible magic?

I'm not necessarily looking for a series that is huge in scope like Malazan or WoT, but something with a good story, magic, fantastical creatures, good battle scenes and good characters. Not knowing how it is all going to end after the first half of the book would also be a bonus.

I'd say characterization is one of the stronger points of West's writing. There's some archetypes(it is fantasy), but she does put a strong effort into giving lots of character development beyond whatever role a character fills in the plot.

There's a lot of magic but iirc, it isn't overexplained and systematized like Sanderson's stuff, it's explained enough that you understand what's going on during a battle, or if its important to the ploy or whatever, but lots of it's left mysterious.

While this series is huge in scope, it had some great battles, especially some told from a small military squad's POV like Malazan. I remember there being good, complex political intrigue and it had a cool race of some demon creatures. It was like ten years ago that i read it, so maybe some of the story beats, etc. have been done a lot since then, but I remember it being very good and unpredictable.