Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Anatharon posted:

Has vanillaware made anything other then the games in the OP?

There were two other games they've made called Kumatanchi for the DS and Grand Knights History for the PSP. I didn't play either and I didn't really hear a lot of buzz about them so I didn't really include them. All I know is that Kumatanchi is a life simulator game with little girl animals and Grand Knights History is a more traditional RPG that you work for specific countries in.

Oxxidation posted:

You know that somebody else can just make a new one if you decide to pitch a fit and flip the OFF switch, right

I doubt anyone would really want to.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Anatharon posted:

Some cutesy/creepy tamagotchi game with little girls (Japan only, natch) for the DS, and Grand Knights History for the PSP.

Now the latter is a real sad loving tale because that game looked badass as hell: you controlled a party of four knights that you can completely customize (voices, appearance, skills, drat near everything) and you would basically fight other dudes across the internet in turn-based combat for battles over a Risk-style territory map. Also had a good single-player campaign where you can pick one of three kingdoms to serve in a storyline.

Unfortunately, plans for doing an English localization in both Europe and America fell apart and it never left Japan. The sad part is that the English script was already finished and only coding was left, so bureaucracy stopped it dead. People are currently hoping for a Vita version instead, and I hope to heaven it gets another chance.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

toasterwarrior posted:

Some cutesy/creepy tamagotchi game with little girls (Japan only, natch) for the DS, and Grand Knights History for the PSP.

Now the latter is a real sad loving tale because that game looked badass as hell: you controlled a party of four knights that you can completely customize (voices, appearance, skills, drat near everything) and you would basically fight other dudes across the internet in turn-based combat for battles over a Risk-style territory map. Also had a good single-player campaign where you can pick one of three kingdoms to serve in a storyline.

Unfortunately, plans for doing an English localization in both Europe and America fell apart and it never left Japan. The sad part is that the English script was already finished and only coding was left, so bureaucracy stopped it dead. People are currently hoping for a Vita version instead, and I hope to heaven it gets another chance.

I was so mad about that. I got a PSP on the promise of that game. I mean I also got it for Tactics Ogre, but that proved to be a disappointment to me.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Anatharon posted:

Technically not Vanillaware but Princess Crown was created by Vanillawares core developers many years before the companies formation.

Sega Saturn, Japan only.

toasterwarrior posted:

They flat out said they don't have the manpower at Vanillaware to devote to the localisation, which is understandable considering how small the company is and the scope of Dragon Crown.

Still if you are desperate for a Grand Knight History translation, there is a fan translated rom hack out there of it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Monomythian posted:

They flat out said they don't have the manpower at Vanillaware to devote to the localisation, which is understandable considering how small the company is and the scope of Dragon Crown.

Still if you are desperate for a Grand Knight History translation, there is a fan translated rom hack out there of it.

That's a real shame. Well who knows, if Dragon's Crown takes off Kamitani might get the resources he needs to bring it to Vita. If Revengeance could get a PC port...

Yeah, I remember researching about that fanhack. Wasn't there a goon running another fanhack for GKH that ultimately wasn't finished?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I love how you can instantly tell it's vanillaware because of this dude's beard. No one else does beards like that.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I'm really torn on this one and am hoping for some advance reviews before I pre-order. On the one hand, I love Vanillaware's art style -- their games have some of the most distinctive (and beautiful) visuals of any games on their respective platforms. I can't get enough of them (although Muramasa's been suffering from neglect because my Wii, in general, is the odd man out these days). On the other hand, I had a real problem with Odin Sphere because it had great gameplay, a great story, and intensely great music and art... and then got super-repetitive. Weirdly, I'd judge it better if it had been about 2/3s of its length.

I'm probably kidding myself to think I might *not* get this, but I'd definitely appreciate folks posting links to previews and/or reviews as they surface.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There was a rumor going around a while ago that someone saw alternate skins for the characters. Is there anything more about that? They specifically mentioned a "old hag" skin for the Sorceress.

Sorceress is basically the class I would play but I can't stand how she looks. Alternate skins would go a long way towards selling the game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The most I've heard on alternate anything for appearances is you change the characters' color schemes. I feel like this is one of those games that'll end up having them, but I don't know how much more time it would cost Vanillaware to actually go about doing that.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Pretty sure it was an image of a playing card esque design that had the sorceress on the top and a stereotypical old witch on the bottom, so some people theorized that the sorceress was really a wrinkled old crone that made herself look pretty via -magic- or something. I'd look up the image but :effort:

Willias
Sep 3, 2008
Yeah, there are alternate color schemes. Not sure about anything else. The sorceress/old witch thing is from the character class tarot cards that are used for the skill upgrade screen.

Anyway, this thread needs more videos.

Edit: Whoops, didn't notice you could click on the characters for their youtube videos :downs: .

Gameplay videos
Gamespot E3 Demo
E3 Off-screen footage (low quality)
E3 Off-screen footage (low quality)
E3 Off-screen footage

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Here you go, courtesy of Policenaut from the Vita thread: http://gematsu.com/2013/05/dragons-crown-has-customizable-characters-skill-points

I hope the cards are actual hints about alternate skins since the Sorc being an old woman magic-ing herself young sounds pretty funny to me, and the Fighter having a Conan the Barbarian skin would be pretty rad. The Dwarf using a hunk of meat as a melee weapon is also great. Nevermind about that, though I hope it gets considered one day. They already have alternate voices for a DLC, I'd shell out for some well-done alternative skins.

There's plenty of :butt: art in the gallery too, so avert thine eyes if that's not your thing I guess.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

toasterwarrior posted:

Here you go, courtesy of Policenaut from the Vita thread: http://gematsu.com/2013/05/dragons-crown-has-customizable-characters-skill-points

I hope the cards are actual hints about alternate skins since the Sorc being an old woman magic-ing herself young sounds pretty funny to me, and the Fighter having a Conan the Barbarian skin would be pretty rad. The Dwarf using a hunk of meat as a melee weapon is also great. Nevermind about that, though I hope it gets considered one day. They already have alternate voices for a DLC, I'd shell out for some well-done alternative skins.

There's plenty of :butt: art in the gallery too, so avert thine eyes if that's not your thing I guess.

Wizard card is double Gandalf instead of Sephiroth. There's a real good chance a lot of the art ended up on the cutting room floor because they have Princess Crown guys in some of the images and I'm certain they don't exist in the final game.

Also I'm curious why people didn't get as outraged about Code of Princess when that was released for the 3DS. Same type of game same type of art direction right down to pants being optional.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WendigoJohnson posted:

Wizard card is double Gandalf instead of Sephiroth. There's a real good chance a lot of the art ended up on the cutting room floor because they have Princess Crown guys in some of the images and I'm certain they don't exist in the final game.

Also I'm curious why people didn't get as outraged about Code of Princess when that was released for the 3DS. Same type of game same type of art direction right down to pants being optional.

it did get the same outrage, only it was on the 3ds so the T&A was too low res to see well

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Thanks for that.

WendigoJohnson posted:

I think it's because Vanillaware is a bigger name in general and CoP was only for a handheld. I'm not saying Vanillaware is like huge, but they're known decently enough to garner some sort of attention. Code of Princess doesn't have a noteable name at all except for Atlus publishing it in the West.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 17, 2013

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Plus I just googled the thing and while Dragon Crown can at least hold up Frank Frazetta as an art influence, Code of Princess clearly has no such excuse.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, I thought Code of Princess was pretty ridiculous, too. But it was smaller, it came and went, and I forgot it existed.

The dilemma for me is that the art in this game is clearly problematic, but it's also so drat stylish I don't want to care.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Does anyone know how to put one of those web based spreadsheets up? We have one in the Injustice thread for all our gamertags/psn IDs, and it might just be useful to have one up in here for when we get close to launch.

Quick question: Are Vita players able to play online with ps3 players, or is it seperate server bullshit?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I think it is more relevant how much if a hot-button issue it has become to represent genders and races in video-games lately. Even Anita Sarkeesian's videos aren't erupting out of a vacum. It's a problem that has been boiling under the surface for way too long and it has now started to boil over.

I don't think it's quite right to say "this game didn't get the same treatment last year" and not realize a lot of things have changed about the industry in just the last year. And I don't just mean Kickstarters, but that is a big part too.

I really look forward to this game because of the Odin's Sphere visuals and also because I really like the gameplay style, but I still feel it deserves the critique it gets and I hope it doesn't turn people away from it too much.

I guess Skullgirls had the same problem.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I like Anita Sarkeesian's videos. I'm very interested in her response to this if she ever talks about it.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Pierson posted:

Plus I just googled the thing and while Dragon Crown can at least hold up Frank Frazetta as an art influence, Code of Princess clearly has no such excuse.

My biggest problem with using Frank Frazetta in defense of the Sorceress is that he drew a lot more than just hourglass ladies (his ladies' weren't even vanillaware-level curvy, even, the only real connection is that they both are sexualized); he drew plenty of nearly naked attractive men with bulges of their own as well, yet the closest we see among the male side of the cast is The Dwarf, who is both super exaggerated and wearing a kilt.

Game itself looks interesting, I guess, can't say too much about it since it looks mostly like the Dungeons and Dragons arcade game but with Vanillaware art. I like both of those things of course, but I still need to play through Murasama and the HD port of the DnD games is coming up, so I think I can safely pass on this.

quote:

I swear to god, if this thread becomes more feminism and game journalism discussion than it already is I'm locking it and maybe never unlocking it.

The easiest way to end sexism chat is to bring up a specific part of the game people would be interested in talking about, the worst way to end sexism chat is to cry about sexism chat.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 17, 2013

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

I know it's just supposed to be his muscle flexing but I can't get over the dwarf's right leg in his walking animation. It looks like it's inflating like a balloon.

That said, I'm cautiously optimistic about this title, weird art aside--I loved the hell out of the Mystara games and if this is a spiritual successor, I'm all for it.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Lotish posted:

I like Anita Sarkeesian's videos. I'm very interested in her response to this if she ever talks about it.

Let's talk about Dragon's Crown and not bring up Anita's videos despite them being great. This thread is for the game, how it plays, what people are looking forward to, etc. - discussion of the art at a social layer should be taken elsewhere since it's just gonna derail discussion here.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I hope Dragon's Crown has hella sick loot.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

I hope Dragon's Crown has hella sick loot.

it does, its not just + numbers, the loot does cool stuff. There are tons of consumable weapons too

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I like the idea of resurrecting dead players as companions. Asynchronous co-op, a bit like Dragon's Dogma's pawn system.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Anyone know if this will require a pass to play online?

Speaking of other Vanillaware games, I loved Muramasa enough to 100% it, but right now I'm stuck in Odin Sphere because Mercedes is terrible to control.

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jun 18, 2013

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lotish posted:

I like the idea of resurrecting dead players as companions. Asynchronous co-op, a bit like Dragon's Dogma's pawn system.

Thats not how it was explained to me. I was told they are npc's. Unique characters for single player or to fill out an online party.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
This is my most anticipated game of the summer. Odin Sphere was one of my favorite games ever but Muramasa just didn't do it for me. The story didn't interest me and the characters played too similar.

I've got high hopes for Dragon's Crown but I know I'm going to be terrible at it and make everyone on my team mad at me. VanillaWare games are hard :smith:

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

Lotish posted:

Yeah, I thought Code of Princess was pretty ridiculous, too. But it was smaller, it came and went, and I forgot it existed.

The dilemma for me is that the art in this game is clearly problematic, but it's also so drat stylish I don't want to care.

If you want the game buy it, just don't lie to yourself that game doesn't has troubling poo poo. Lot's of games have sexist as poo poo elements. You can still enjoy them guilt free. Just you know, support good free shitless games like Beyond Good and Evil when they come out.

I wanna play with some goons though when this finally drops.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Fauxtool posted:

Thats not how it was explained to me. I was told they are npc's. Unique characters for single player or to fill out an online party.

Yep, dead npcs can be revived at the temple in town and then can be added to your party at the inn. These aren't the same as player characters.

However, players that you've played with online will occasionally have their characters show up in the inn as a recruitable npc.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Monomythian posted:

I was really excited when I read this until I remembered that the down key on my PSP broke last time I put it in my checked bag when taking a flight.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Haha, I did the same thing to my psp but with the screen instead. It has these cool rainbow streaks across it.

Anyways, here is the link to the spreadsheet for PSN ID's, with fields for which system(s) you have it on, and what levels your characters are, for when that time comes. Might have to drop the character thing because I know goons are lazy and won't update their poo poo, but let's believe in ourselves until that proves true.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhL_WPxsF6NLdEFLQVhuMUJ2TDQ0VGctVzhXeU5SR2c&usp=sharing

Please add that to the OP. Anyone can edit it, so don't be a dick and vandalize it, please.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Consoles: PS3, PS Vita
Release Date: July 25th (JP), August 6th (NA), TBA aka Never (EU)

:argh: Do we have any update on this yet?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Nobody's announced they're picking it up from Atlus, so probably not. If it does it's probably going to be way down the line when everyone else has stopped playing.

e: Scratch that, apparently Ignition have picked it up. I can't find a word about when they want to put it out beyond 'later', though.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 18, 2013

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
The main thing keeping me away from this game is the fact that it's a vanillaware title. I could just about tolerate the bizarrely creepy art if I knew the game would play as well as they're promising, but I don't know if I've ever played a VW game that didn't immediately start chugging as soon as anything remotely resembling a lot of action happened onscreen. An action game in this vein has to be smooth, and in my experience VW titles (especially Odin Sphere, good lord) just don't deliver that consistently. Until I see real, honest-to-goodness gameplay that isn't a carefully contrived character or monster showcase, my response is "why bother?"

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Strange, I remember only experiencing bad slowdown in Odin Sphere, and that's probably because it was stretching the limits of the PS2. Muramasa was fine all the way except for bonus stages that intentionally filled the screen with a shitload of enemies.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Grim Grimoire was -the- worst for slowdowns.

You also need to remember that this game is on a PS3, wheras those other 3 were ps2/wii. It'll be fine this time around.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I bought Odin Sphere on release and Muramasa was literally the only Wii game I finished, so I've got high hopes about Dragon's Crown. Unfortunately I skipped this console generation, so I'm hoping it sells enough copies to warrant digital rereleases down the line like Odin Sphere got on PSN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Speaking of Muramasa, did anyone else order the Vita rerelease?

• Locked thread