Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

CzarChasm posted:

What was that like?

Liquid nitrogen really isn't that big of a deal. The Leiden-frost effect is where the rapid evaporation of the nitrogen due to the heat of your hand actually insulates the hand against the cold. It's like sticking your hand inside a freezer for a second. Unless he meant that he froze his hand in liquid nitrogen, but this is the wrong thread for that story.

In thread-related content, one time I froze a banana in liquid nitrogen and smashed it with a hammer. Banana everywhere (it didn't taste very good post-freeze).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

areyoucontagious posted:

In thread-related content, one time I froze a banana in liquid nitrogen and smashed it with a hammer. Banana everywhere (it didn't taste very good post-freeze).

When I was in my freshman year of college, someone threw a banana in the sand of the volleyball court in the grassy area between all the freshman dorms. It was starting to change seasons and get colder so no one was playing volleyball. For months my friends and I would pass the banana every day, watching it turn blacker and blacker. One day we dared my friend to go touch the banana. She picked it up by the stem and gave it a small toss; it broke open and the inside was inky black and bubbly.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

ArcMage posted:

In the line of duty did you tear up that battery?

I'm a synthetic/electro chemist. I synthesize and test chemicals and materials in batteries and electronics. Sometimes we run out of simple crap like metal spacers and springs between part orders so I go tear some batteries apart to recover some of those parts. We need to dispose of the lithium metal we use as the anode stuff, since it's kind of explosive. So we throw it into a big bucket of ice and water behind a fumehood window to try to kill it without it blowing up, but oftentimes it will do that anyway with exciting results.

Thread-related: I saw a guy walk a ferret today and it was cute

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Office Thug posted:

I'm a synthetic/electro chemist. I synthesize and test chemicals and materials in batteries and electronics. Sometimes we run out of simple crap like metal spacers and springs between part orders so I go tear some batteries apart to recover some of those parts. We need to dispose of the lithium metal we use as the anode stuff, since it's kind of explosive. So we throw it into a big bucket of ice and water behind a fumehood window to try to kill it without it blowing up, but oftentimes it will do that anyway with exciting results.

Thread-related: I saw a guy walk a ferret today and it was cute

I do cathode scale-up. :)

Today I organized a woodpile and met one snake, five spiders, two centipedes, and an earthworm as long as my forearm. I feel like the bleeding Light Warriors.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
One time I said something funny in class and people laughed.

No one applauded or married me, though.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

One of my friends told me I was cool because I read H.P. Lovecraft when I was about 8 or so. She also told me she wishes she had a little pocket me to make witty/sarcastic responses to people whenever she can't think of any, so I think her standards may be somewhat low.

Assoonasitits
Dec 11, 2007

I guess frogout is too polite to simply say "begone".
Yesterday I yelled at some people for coming to a dead stop right in front of me halfway through a door. I said, "maybe don't stop in the middle of the door, that's a good idea," and I got dirty looks from all three of them. I was right, though.

Doctor Doodler
Feb 14, 2012
My friends cat was meowing at me and I meowed back and he didn't react, he just kept on doing what he was doing.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I bought a 6lb porkroll.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I went to the beach for the first time in two years yesterday. It was a lot of fun, but I got a really bad sunburn. It sucks, but I found bomb pops in my freezer, so I think everything's gonna be alright.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
A big storm rolled through the Minneapolis area last night. I went to work today and the power was out. So now I'm back home and on call should power return.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

When I was 5 or so, I managed to catch a baby duck. Mama duck started chasing me around the whole block, and the whole time I was crying while clutching the duckling. I just wanted to play with the little duck :saddowns:

El Burbo has a new favorite as of 17:01 on Jun 22, 2013

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
My husband's friend is visiting us and just made a weird joke about how sexy 14-year-old girls are (he's in his 50s) but I didn't say anything because he literally has a brain tumor.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I had to go to work today, but I didn't really want to.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

I don't have to go to work today, and that makes me pretty happy. I don't really have much planned, though -- just doing chores around the house and catching up on sleep.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

bradzilla posted:

I had to go to work today, but I didn't really want to.

I look too long at your avatar, every time you post.

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012
I put odd socks on this morning because it was kind of dark, one black and one dark blue.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

I was wearing an adventure time t-shirt today, and on the tube this little girl was giving me this weird look and if I wasn't a british person on public transport, I would have pointed out that the show is very popular with adults as well as kids and compliment her taste in shows!

Then I bumped into the same crazy goth girl several times the same day today, in totally unrelated places, which was nice. She was cool.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
I got a call from a telemarketer and then THEY hung up before I even said anything.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I yelled at a videogame and then got drunk

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I was walking to Quiznos for lunch and I looked over and saw a hobo getting blown in broad daylight on the bridge embankment. Areas around jails are fun.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

My boyfriend made dinner tonight and it's really tasty. I'm proud.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

In second grade TAG class, the kid next to me sneezed into his cupped hands, when he drew his face away, there was a swirling miniature pool of snot and liquid in his hand, I gagged.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
While I was pulling into my driveway tonight I saw a funny shaped rock right in the middle of it. I got out and realized the rock was actually a turtle. I picked him up and took him to the back yard where we chilled for a while. Then I let him go in a pond. Goodbye cool turtle dude. :(

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

For a couple years after finishing high school I lied to people that I had passed everything in my final year, when actually I had failed math due to always skipping class to play video games.

Later when I was looking through old school documents and saw that I failed math, I got super confused and all "what the gently caress? I passed math" and it was a few minutes before I remembered that actually that was just a lie that I told.

No moral.

C-BOX
Feb 7, 2010

by Debbie Metallica
Today my lips were chapped and I couldn't find any chapstick so I went and bought some.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
One time I cooked a hot pocket in the oven.

turned out pretty good

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Drove down to Palm Springs today, it's my grandmother's 80th birthday tomorrow. Also went 75 most if the way, made good time.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

JebanyPedal posted:

In second grade TAG class, the kid next to me sneezed into his cupped hands, when he drew his face away, there was a swirling miniature pool of snot and liquid in his hand, I gagged.
Did this happen to be early ninety's in Texas?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

When I was younger I was bullied incessantly. One day, while leaving class, a group of like 10 guys surrounded me and kept me from going anywhere, pushing and jeering at me. I loving lost it and kicked the main guy in the balls so hard he collapsed screaming. Everyone ran away, and a teacher yelled at me to go home. There were no repercussions and apparently the guy lay there writhing for like 10 minutes. They didn't bully me again.

It was the greatest day of my life.

BrBa
Oct 12, 2012

Torka posted:

For a couple years after finishing high school I lied to people that I had passed everything in my final year, when actually I had failed math due to always skipping class to play video games.

Later when I was looking through old school documents and saw that I failed math, I got super confused and all "what the gently caress? I passed math" and it was a few minutes before I remembered that actually that was just a lie that I told.

No moral.

If you failed a subject, how were you able to finish high school?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Yesterday, Idiocracy and Coming to America played back to back on the Comedy Channel. I watched them both, and laughed at several points in each. I don't have cable at home, nor do I own either of those movies, so I'm glad somebody in an earlier shift had left the TV on that channel. During this time I consumed upward of one (1) Jimmy Johns sandwich which I had delivered to me. It arrived earlier than most pizzas, but not nearly as fast as the commercials had led me to believe it would.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

In middle school there was a boy who would pick on me and tell me how ugly I was. Then in high school he treated me normally. :unsmith:

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Yesterday I saw the new Superman film, I liked it.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.
Last night, while trying to take out my contacts, I managed to fold one while it was still on my eye. Worst feeling ever.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

I'm watching a film called Warm Bodies. I thought it looked dumb. It is, but in a good way. I really like it! It's cute, and funny. And only has a little bit of bad CGI.

Edit: Finished it, it was good all the way through. A nice little movie :3:

Meis has a new favorite as of 19:31 on Jun 23, 2013

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
I had some bad diarrhea today. It was quite painful.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I got a letter from Vector's office in my hometown offering "$18 base pay!"

I guess nobody told them I quit the office in Irvine after all my friends told me it was a scam and I should get out, and I just shredded the letter.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
My dad found out last week that he had kidney cancer. He had the kidney removed yesterday and he's gonna be okay :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

On Thursday, I dropped a plate of food at work but managed to catch it without losing any food. A couple of people said "nice catch" and one guy actually clapped. I immediately thought of the poo poo that didn't happen thread when the guy started clapping.

edit: completely forgot I already posted this one.

GWBBQ has a new favorite as of 02:02 on Jun 24, 2013

• Locked thread