Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I haven't gotten higher than silver for a long as I can remember. I couldn't win a defense if i had The Watcher and Galactus defending.

I had a 17% rating, lose a match, have a 45% rating. Great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Reverand Me
May 12, 2007
Let's make Gravy!

DoctorDelaware posted:

Ended PVP with only 6 covers for Elektra, after opening 200 boxes (with another 7 unopened.) Took me 23 gold to get the last two, which was nice. Much better than the 80 gold I spent on the last three Magneto covers.

Probably the reason most people's ratings seem down this time around is because of the lockbox hero--ran into the same thing with Juggernaut. I'm willing to bet that most of the time, there's a pretty big contingent of players who don't bother. Maybe they'll do one fight, get their silver, and call it a day. That changes with the lockboxes; people want the character, so they'll do their five fights a day, and that pushes more people's ratings down. (Usually I'm comfortably in gold by the end, but with both Juggernaut and Elektra, I've been dragged deep into the lobster bucket that is Silver.)

That's what I do. I hate pvp, but having a crap defensive team to tank my ranking made it slightly more tolerable than the Juggernaut season. If I'd got Elektra before the last day I probably wouldn't have played any more pvp after that, I might have put some frustrating characters on my def team though just to piss people off.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

twistedmentat posted:

I haven't gotten higher than silver for a long as I can remember. I couldn't win a defense if i had The Watcher and Galactus defending.
Just wait until they release Sentry. You'll remember that he was on your team in all the previous seasons and you actually got an Adamantium rating.

Dr.Magnificent
Dec 24, 2007

Comes with hands on care.
Fun Shoe
I'm going to end in virbanium. Only 5 wins away from Adamantium, but at this point its pure luck if I get a win. I'm running into teams with almost double my item bonus and beating me in all character bonuses, and winning if I get a good turn order or they have a bad defending team.

Of course I think a lot of that has to do with being level 80.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Halloween Jack posted:

Just wait until they release Sentry. You'll remember that he was on your team in all the previous seasons and you actually got an Adamantium rating.

Why can't Wanda just make Rescue and Phoenix less useful?

All that really needs to be done is reduce Rescue's healing, and make Pheonix's healing a one time thing. Two easy things that will improve PVP. Also, Omega's two turn thing should only last 3 turns or so.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Dr.Magnificent posted:

I'm going to end in virbanium. Only 5 wins away from Adamantium, but at this point its pure luck if I get a win. I'm running into teams with almost double my item bonus and beating me in all character bonuses, and winning if I get a good turn order or they have a bad defending team.

Of course I think a lot of that has to do with being level 80.

:cry::hf::cry:

Yeah, if your experience is like mine, it's very rare that you run into someone who doesn't have a significantly higher item bonus and limited edition gear.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

twistedmentat posted:

Why can't Wanda just make Rescue and Phoenix less useful?

All that really needs to be done is reduce Rescue's healing, and make Pheonix's healing a one time thing. Two easy things that will improve PVP. Also, Omega's two turn thing should only last 3 turns or so.

"No more Bullshit"

I don't think Wanda would stick around either, as much as folks hate Chaos Shield and Evasion.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I hit Diamond with 30 seconds to spare!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I ended up in a situation where I was playing games right up until the end, and still ended up stuck in the Silver League. When that happens the moral is the I would have been in the exact same position if I tried as if I did nothing.

And if that's not proof that PvP in this game is hosed, I genuinely don't know what is. Between the game crashing when I had won matches (so they didn't count) or the fact that in the time it takes you to play a game, you can lose three matches, to the games where I was being drawn against the same people three times in a row, I just don't know.

At this stage all I can hope for is that Playdom screws up (again) and randomly assigns all rewards to everybody.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Bell_ posted:

"No more Bullshit"

I don't think Wanda would stick around either, as much as folks hate Chaos Shield and Evasion.

She's not even that bad anymore. Chaos Shield can be removed with scroll and Rescue's reset. Honestly, I cannot say the last time I saw her in pvp.

And yea, If I had just ignored pvp outside of getting the 5 wins daily, I'd be in the same situation. At least I got 10 gold in the roulette today.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Yay, got diamond league. I usually try to aim for at least diamond since the unique weapons are usually neat from what I've seen. Do we have any clue who is going to be the next PVP hero?

Dr.Magnificent
Dec 24, 2007

Comes with hands on care.
Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

:cry::hf::cry:

Yeah, if your experience is like mine, it's very rare that you run into someone who doesn't have a significantly higher item bonus and limited edition gear.

finished in vibranium! No Electra, even after buying some Lbs. Oh well. Guess its back to grinding to get the season 2 rewards.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
drat I lost 50 points in the last hour :pwn:

Oh well I'll just have to be happy with the silver and gold.

CDW
Aug 26, 2004
Got Vib, all I wanted.

VextheGrey
Dec 3, 2000

"No, Sasquatch! NOOOOO!!"

Syrinxx posted:

If leethax figures out a way to speed up not only the combat animations but the "Get back in the fight" animations it'll be a godsend.

Also I had 3 wins not count today due to combat validation errors. gently caress this game

Anecdotally, I've read quite a bit that leethax causes CVE for people in PVP that went away once they turned it off.

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

Level 300 is getting ridiculous. Pretty much everyone has fully gold-bought armories from rating 800 and up and everyone uses Phoenix + (P5 Cyclops|P5 Emma|Rescue|Quicksilver) with Neurotrope and bologna scroll. Never level. Just stop wherever you are and sandbag forever.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I usually can get diamond or vibranium but I was only gold this season. I would lose about 100 points in defense each day and would run into bullshit teams on my attacks.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

sakeyake posted:

Level 300 is getting ridiculous. Pretty much everyone has fully gold-bought armories from rating 800 and up and everyone uses Phoenix + (P5 Cyclops|P5 Emma|Rescue|Quicksilver) with Neurotrope and bologna scroll. Never level. Just stop wherever you are and sandbag forever.

I am getting that around 250 as well. My friends who are 100 or under all finished at either diamond and vibranium because the opponents are not nearly as tough.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Woop, got Elektra with less than an hour before the deadline. I'm absolutely convinced that you'll never get all 8 covers unless you either pony up gold for them or play constantly until the very end. Those draws are as "random" as the boss roulettes.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside
I used a lame team of P5 cyclops and blaster Iron Man with an Inf. agent and did pretty well around the 800 rating area. I finished in gold league without putting too much thought into my team and gear. I had fun with the mutagen emitter, it allowed cyclops to get healing factor in a few battles and I ended up beating some good teams. I might try to get a good rating next pvp, but then I might not have as much fun.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I am getting that around 250 as well. My friends who are 100 or under all finished at either diamond and vibranium because the opponents are not nearly as tough.

I'm around level 240 and honestly, it's not that hard to win if you just pay attention to the meta and play enough. I do not have an armory full of gold items (in fact, nearly everyone I fight has a bigger armory than me), but this season, just using Cyclops and Phoenix was nearly an auto-win on offense. The key is to really play enough to get and maintain a high enough rating.

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

commish posted:

I'm around level 240 and honestly, it's not that hard to win if you just pay attention to the meta and play enough. I do not have an armory full of gold items (in fact, nearly everyone I fight has a bigger armory than me), but this season, just using Cyclops and Phoenix was nearly an auto-win on offense. The key is to really play enough to get and maintain a high enough rating.

That seemed truer this time around actually. I couldn't gain any ground with 150 attacks. People with 400+ attacks seemed to be doing well. Fights were just too slow and boring in this meta to bother though. I was using Phoenix + Iron Fist to be basically unkillable so it was slower than teams I've used in the past. Maybe next time I'll just use a blitz team, accept the higher loss ratio, and blow through matches as fast as possible.

Kali11324
Dec 8, 2004

This space intentionally left blank
Is there a "must have" lockbox character? I never got Mags, Juggs, Satana or Electra.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Kali11324 posted:

Is there a "must have" lockbox character? I never got Mags, Juggs, Satana or Electra.
There are only 2 must haves for pvp and they are White Phoenix and P5 Cyclops. Until those two are nerfed pretty good there's not much wiggle room. Of the ones you don't have I'd say Juggernaut has the most potential for pvp in the future. As for pve, they don't seem ready to make any of the lockbox characters mandatory for spec ops, etc but that could change of course.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Syrinxx posted:

There are only 2 must haves for pvp and they are White Phoenix and P5 Cyclops. Until those two are nerfed pretty good there's not much wiggle room. Of the ones you don't have I'd say Juggernaut has the most potential for pvp in the future. As for pve, they don't seem ready to make any of the lockbox characters mandatory for spec ops, etc but that could change of course.

I doubt they'll ever make a lockbox character mandatory; even the specops characters that were temporarily available for CP have never been mandatory.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Elektra is a beast. All stealth attacks, has a chance to pre counter melee attacks and then not get hit with them, and internal bleeding can't be removed. And she can flank people.

I think running a team of her with Nightcrawler or X23 will be my next PVP team.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Of my handful of new characters, she's not the hardest-hitting. Squirrel Girl has now beaten up Mystique, Juggernaut, Magneto, and the Red Skull wielding a Cosmic Cube, like God intended.

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!

Halloween Jack posted:

Given how things work in this game, Sentry will be so weak, Nightcrawler and Luke Cage will take him out. Can't have people playing with the most powerful characters in PvP! Thor? The Hulk? Who are they?

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Psychlone posted:

Given how things work in this game, Sentry will be so weak, Nightcrawler and Luke Cage will take him out. Can't have people playing with the most powerful characters in PvP! Thor? The Hulk? Who are they?

They're rare, but I still see them show up; World War Hulk was on like 10% of the teams I fought this season. They both suffer a bit from the power creep, though; Hulk was king of PVP for a long time when PVP didn't mean anything, and Thor dominated a couple of seasons of PVP after they made his lightning strike catastrophic but before they started adding resurrection effects.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I don't encounter them much, but when I do, Hulk's Thunderclap and Thor's Summon Thunder hosed my poo poo up. I'm okay with Hulk sucking, though, because Hulk is boring and World War Hulk was a retarded storyline and crossovers suck and gently caress you.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

commish posted:

I completely disagree with this. My character is currently level 255, so was around the level 250 mark for this season of PvP.
I've got every character (apart from Bishop) and the vast majority of my characters are level 12, so I've got a good armoury bonus from my heroes.
My actual armoury bonus is about 103K + on the offence and defence due to a combination of some gold items (both bought and earned from opening Lockboxes to get Elektra this season) and from a load of Stealth Fields.
I was playing PvP regularly, logging in every day to at least play five matches (so I could get Elektra, which I did.) and I played right up until the deadline this season.

I tried a few different teams this season. Before they nerfed the Power Of Four and Lewis combo, I was using that (along with WC Phoenix and Valkyrie + Barrowguard) to guarantee my five wins a day. After they nerfed that I ran a team of Rescue and Havoc. The team was fairly tactical, but provided you played it right you could almost always win your games.
It didn't matter what team I selected on defense, they always (at least 90%+ of the time) lost.

For the last week of PvP, I tried using a team made up of Scrapper Blue Costume Quicksilver, Juggernaut and my hero with the Shepard Staff and the Steps of Shou Lun, for a team that took advantage of unarmed damage. Now let me tell you that was a fun team to play, in the sense it either won fast or lost fast. If Juggernaut survived to put Unstoppable Force on QS and my hero got to use the staff to give him Three Actions (and Jugs two) then I was essentially guaranteed to win. If either guy got killed before then, I pretty much lost. I was fine with that, it was a hard hitting team. And defence wise it seemed to be giving me some wins on the defence (at least 40% of the time, I'd say I won on the defense.)

Despite that I finished with a rating of 761, which was only in the top 35.66%. That put me in the Silver Ranking. Reward wise, I got the exact same amount of stuff that someone who played 1 PvP match and did nothing else.
All told I made 255 attacks and the game recorded me having 238 wins and 237 losses. I'd say almost all those wins were from attacks and almost all of the losses were from defence.

In the end what I found was, the last day becomes such a flurry of PvP activity as to render all your results on the previous 24 + days irrelevant. It was the wins and losses on the last day that mattered. And by the end, by the time it takes you to complete a single match (assuming your match does complete and it doesn't crash or you get a Combat Validation Error) your team has been in three defences. And you've probably lost all of them.

If I did all that, and got next to no reward (and let's not kid ourselves. PvP is done for the rewards, not for fun.) then what the gently caress is the point? If the system ranks me on the same level as someone who didn't take part in it at all, what does that say?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
So is there any pattern for what heroes are required for Spec Ops? I know before this latest round, people somehow knew that Shatterstar was going to be required to complete it. And if there is a pattern, what hero is going to be required on the next one?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

SteelAngel2000 posted:

So is there any pattern for what heroes are required for Spec Ops? I know before this latest round, people somehow knew that Shatterstar was going to be required to complete it. And if there is a pattern, what hero is going to be required on the next one?

Last spec ops hero + whatever 90cp just came out, then some randoms. So we can't be 100% sure but it's a really safe bet that Red Hulk will be required next

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Ever since the SpecOps that required Punisher, each SpecOps has required one PVP hero, and that PVP hero has been the one that came after the one from the previous SpecOps. The next one will need Red Hulk, and presumably the one after that will need Angel if their reward screw up doesn't make them change their mind. I don't think there's a pattern on the other required heroes; before the PVP heroes, you could be fairly certain that the most recently released 90 point hero would be needed.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Also one of the older and more useless characters. Luke Cage's time is coming up!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Codependent Poster posted:

Also one of the older and more useless characters. Luke Cage's time is coming up!

Spiderwoman too. She'll get her purple costume and then she'll be unstoppable.

Ah so thats where the Void Generator comes from!

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 11, 2013

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Halloween Jack posted:

Of my handful of new characters, she's not the hardest-hitting. Squirrel Girl has now beaten up Mystique, Juggernaut, Magneto, and the Red Skull wielding a Cosmic Cube, like God intended.

Seriously, I've got her only at level 8, but her constant counter attacks just shred everyone. I'm sure she'll be nerfed.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

twistedmentat posted:

Spiderwoman too. She'll get her purple costume and then she'll be unstoppable.
Spiderwoman was "required" for SpecOps 1 epic boss :spergin:

commish
Sep 17, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

I completely disagree with this.

Not sure what you disagree with. The system sucks, I think we can all agree on that. You have to play a lot in order to reach a high rating, that's just how it is. The problem many people have is that, each season, they go into the last day not realizing that it will be nearly impossible to rise through the ranks consistently because of the number of AFK attacks. If your goal is to reach 1310, which was the adamantium cut-off, you can't go into the last day with a score below that, or even at that. You need to be a few hundred points over that because the lovely system Playdom has in place means that you will be facing a bunch of AFK attacks. However, usually, the higher up you are, the less afk attacks you face. Think of it as crabs in a barrel, trying to get out. You want to be at the top of that barrel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

commish posted:

Not sure what you disagree with. The system sucks, I think we can all agree on that. You have to play a lot in order to reach a high rating, that's just how it is.

I made 255 attacks this season. I was getting 5 wins every day (which means I would have been making at least 7-8 attacks each day to get those 5 wins.) and in fact I was playing it a bit more on the last week or so when I had gotten a fast team to play with that didn't make me want to pull out my own finger nails.
Are you saying that making over 250 attacks isn't playing it "a lot"?
How many attacks should I have made to expect to qualify for Gold League? 300? 400?

Would anybody else here like to volunteer how many attacks they made this seasons and where they finished up?

• Locked thread