Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

ECBoots posted:

It's worth mentioning that playing on the Playdom website is the way to go for new players. Playdom throws handfuls of all the things you will grind for on Facebook.

That can't be stressed enough.

Related: As an apology for breaking (and recently finally fixing) the Playdom version's sidebar tournaments, said tournaments are going into gold rush mode for the rest of the week. Two gold every other hour! :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Acidix posted:

is there cross platform compatibility? can we all be bestfrinz regardless of platform?

No, sadly.

Dracula Factory posted:

How do I add you guys as friends in the playdom version?

Someone spoke of making a list, but we haven't done one yet. To tell the truth, I don't think there's more than a handful of posters from here on Playdom. Here's my profile (just click the button!), at least.

What I did at first was send friend requests to random strangers in the site's sidebar, and it did the trick. Honestly, for all the interacting you normally do, it doesn't make much of a difference at all. Do note that it takes a while for the allies bar to refresh.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
I spend my gold on magnetic lockboxes. It's a frustrating gold sink (I've been sitting at 7/8 for a long while now) but as far as I know it's the only way left to get Magneto, and it prevents me from making dumb impulse buys. I did the same thing for Omega Sentinel and got lucky enough to get few duplicates, and honestly I think it was worth it.

Unrelatedly, I've been sitting at Spec Ops task 17 for nearly three days now. At this rate the last Red Skull I need to fight will be my own. Any way to force a refresh of the allies bar, come to think?

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

commish posted:

I don't understand how people get stuck on that task. Just fight your own red skull 3 times.

Mine's only going to be back up tomorrow evening. v:shobon:v I'm just getting impatient because I'd been fighting him two or three times a day and then it just stopped.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

twistedmentat posted:

It would be a cool thing if they started having the chapters based on alternative earths, like have a mission in the 1602 universe, or House of M, Age of Apocalypse and so on.

Sugar Man's bio in that preview also seems to indicate that there'll be interdimensional shenanigans in some capacity. It could be really cool if they started pulling material from various continuities, and could be a way to compensate for how they're getting closer and closer to the bottom of the barrel, heroes-wise.

Of course, I can think of very few characters from other continuities we'd be better served getting separately, rather than as new uniforms. Spider-Girl? 2099 Spider-Man? The new Ultimate Spidey? ...Spider-Ham?

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Fred is on posted:

I spend my gold on magnetic lockboxes. It's a frustrating gold sink (I've been sitting at 7/8 for a long while now) but as far as I know it's the only way left to get Magneto, and it prevents me from making dumb impulse buys. I did the same thing for Omega Sentinel and got lucky enough to get few duplicates, and honestly I think it was worth it.

Okay, I'd like to add on to that thing I said earlier. Using gold to buy old lockboxes is like throwing it down a goddamn black hole. I wish they'd just make it so that opening 300 lockboxes together gives you the whole set, or sold individual comic covers for 50 gold each, or something like that. Christ.

Someone said the recent gold nugget bullshit is worse than lockboxes, but I disagree. This obvious money-grabbing scheme I can mostly ignore, because it's a weapon and even if it's good, I don't need every single one of these. But heroes? I gotta catch 'em all.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
Apparently the boss reward CP drop rates have been dropped for chapter 12 specifically. Hopefully season 2 will introduce new ways to make CP, because drat if getting it isn't a grind enough already.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

twistedmentat posted:

Ah, I'd never seen that item before.

It's last season's PvP item, and it's pretty neat. It can apply Generalized too, so keep that in mind as you'll likely be seeing more pop up.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
I'm guessing they must be busy putting out PvP-related fires. In addition to the matchmaking weirdness, apparently some people got Red Hulk for no good reason and that still isn't fixed.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Duranki posted:

Yeah, I think I'm gonna switch to the Playdom version. That one's as full-featured as the Facebook version, only more generous, right?

Pretty much. Some of the promotional offers (notably Marvel XP and those daily e-mails) don't work, but that's about the only drawback.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
Well, Rescue has just been nerfed. She still seems like she'll be useful, though maybe not as much of a party staple as she's been lately.

And the Warbringer axe too, but that's much happier news since I don't personally have one of these things. I always thought it was odd how its effect would stick around forever even after the agent went down.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Kali11324 posted:

I went ti 2-6 this morning but it was glitched. The background loads but non of the baddies pop up to fight.

It does that for me ever since I installed Leethax, which works on Playdom but seems to have that side-effect. I usually disable it whenever I want to go on missions and it works fine.

Just completed these new tasks. I, for one, welcome our sponsored content overlords, and can't wait until the inevitable snack cake tie-in. It'll unlock fruit pies and twinkies that usually heal you, but when used during a boss battle cause the villain to immediately surrender.

Fred is on fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 8, 2013

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
And with the weekend arrived, the chances of Playdom fixing all the characters broken by the last patch before the end of the PvP season drop sharply. drat it, Omega Sentinel without Exploit Shields just isn't Omega Sentinel. :negative:

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
Taskmaster, Venom and Blackheart? San Francisco maps? They must be tipping their hand early for Season 2 content. That's kinda cool. A bit of an interface upgrade on startup, too, though it seems a little broken right now.

Edit: The bug I was just complaining about still isn't fixed, though. Ah, well, at least this should make a nice enough distraction.

Fred is on fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 14, 2013

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
So what IS the Circle of 8 anyway? I finished PvE Season 1 just a few days ago, and I figured after all that buildup there'd be a big reveal, but unless I missed something big, the only thing they ever wind up saying is that it's a wacky chaos cult. I ask about it because they refer to it at the end of the first Spec Ops mission, and seem to be expecting us to know what they're talking about.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
Blackheart is one mean son of a bitch. I fought him four times and only won twice so far. This is actually kind of cool, as Red Skull was a boring pushover by comparison, but you still only get one lockbox as a reward? Not cool.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Moreau posted:

Maybe its a new marketing strategy... show the players what the new PVP guy is like, tempt them to spend more cash to win PVP!

Its genius, I tells you! Hmmm, actually, offering the PVP reward as a temp hero during a PVP season isn't a bad idea...

They've started having PvP prizes as team-up heroes in the last two Spec Ops, though, so they're already doing more or less exactly that.

And hey, sweet! Got him too. MAA is neat in that Playdom's fuckups pretty much balance one another out, in terms of positives and negatives. Gotta suck if some people DON'T get him, though, or for whoever actually did get into adamantium (spendtard or not).

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
Ah, Playdom forums.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
My team really needs a good Scrapper, and I'm hesitating between Wolverine and Union Jack. On one hand, Wolverine seems okay and unlocks both an epic boss and an extra mission, but on the other, I hear Union Jack is really good and more or less fights battles for you. Which should I get?

Or maybe I should get ready for the next Spec Ops and get Shatterstar, but he's Shatterstar.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
Apparently they showed a "trailer" for Season 2 at Comic-con, and it explained those new icons from the sneak peek: One is "Heroic Battles", basically forcing a thematically appropriate team-up on your entire team (which doesn't always include the Agent) like I guess having the Fantastic Three fight Doom, and the other is "Incursions" which pit you against another hero team with an agent (like in PvP) who must presumably hail from an evil mirror dimension. That actually sounds pretty neat.

Meanwhile, the last patch was supposed to prevent Blackheart from getting healed by his teammates, but I just saw them do it. Ah, well.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Sefer posted:

Just finished 4 starring for the last lockbox task, and that got me more than enough to get Satana.

Meanwhile I just did that and got nothing but duplicates, leaving me with two covers to go still. :shepicide: I guess part of that's my own fault since I still manage to get killed by Blackheart, but I'll go with "Lockboxes are bullshit".

twistedmentat posted:

That makes the most sense, as they seem to think we care about Angela. Being played by Karen Gillian in the GoG is about the only way they can make me care.

I keep wanting to go on the Playdom forums and parody those inane "MAKE CHARACTER X PLAYABLE, PLAYDOM" threads by requesting Marvelman, but I don't think anyone there would get the joke.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
Hahahahahahaha, oh my god. That was totally worth the buildup. It's like a Rob Liefeld character factory exploded.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
Game just hit me with an update notice and then took forever to load. I haven't noticed any changes, but hopefully this means they're starting to upload Season 2 material so the servers don't crash when it really does roll out, or something.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

C. Everett Koop posted:

Notes on Season 2 - http://forum.playdom.com/showthread.php?317713-Producer-Woods-on-Season-2-Part-I-The-New-Look-of-Season-2&p=3415095#post3415095

They're going away from grinding the chapters out to hitting a series of goals, similar to how the SpecOps work. I'm curious how this will affect rewards after beating a chapter; if they tie stuff like CPs into finishing the tasks instead of just running a chapter into the ground it might fix the economy a little, especially if they do make a new type of CP.

I've shat on their stuff before, but this is hopefully a step in the right direction in giving the game a little life.

Oh, hey, that mission briefing more or less confirms interdimensional shenanigans. Turning chapter mastery into Spec Ops Lite is rather neat, too.

Now, I wonder if I should be getting Gambit or Shatterstar first. Or maybe these are still a long way off so I should get an actually good hero...?

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
So which characters would you recommend for lazy players in that stretch, when you're overlevelled, between "strategy is no longer really necessary" and "Hulk can one-shot the enemy team"?

Right now I've got a good team going with Magneto and Cyclops, what with all the counters, followups and preemptive attacks, but I'm sure it can be improved. Union Jack, maybe? What would be good on my Agent?

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
There's a new post in the Producer's Notes on Season 2 thread, and it more or less confirms one of my fears: since Season 2 is playable regardless of Season 1 progress, the difficulty scales to your level when you start the mission of the first time. That's going to make farming difficult if you're already high-level, I guess.

Otherwise, some cool stuff, still. The Iron Fist costume comes in both classes when you earn it, which makes for some cool versatility (though we still don't know if that'll make him good). Professor X as a NPC is nice too, and should provide a bit more variety in the mission banter. That, and it means no more deploys that consist of sending a very specific X-Man to act as a courier for him.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

The producer's notes just released the Iron Fist changes. Gotta say, they look pretty sweet.

Even without the uniform, he can interrupt counterattacks, purge debuffs, break shields and restore stamina even when he's stunned. That sounds like even more of a jump up in power than the Cyclops buff.

Maybe the chapter completion rewards for chapters 3-5 will be uniforms for the rest of the 15 CP heroes, and they'll also be getting buffed in the process. That could be pretty cool, and would make it much easier to assemble a baseline competent team when you're just starting out.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
From the latest producer's notes:

quote:

Because we really want you to give the updated sound in the game a listen, when the Season 2 update finally hits on... oh I almost accidentally said the release date there...

Playdom. :cripes: Well, seems it won't be tomorrow. At least I guess we can assume it'll be tuesday or wednesday, since they said it was going to come out in July, and as we all know, Playdom always keeps its word.

So the game will now include new songs, some of which are from "other Marvel properties". Can't think of much I'd like to hear except maybe a few Marvel VS Capcom songs, but at least it should be a step up from the soundtrack I muted about a week after I started playing. They confirmed "the theme song from The Avengers" as a fight theme, and hopefully they don't mean that one.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

MrBling posted:

Should be automatic, maybe its just for the facebook version.

It is, and it's a drat shame. I'm on Playdom and while the CP is rolling in and I'll never have to worry about Silver, Energy, SP or U-ISO ever again, sometimes I'd kill for some easier-to-obtain lockboxes.

At least right now I'm all caught up on lockbox heroes, but I'm not looking forward to the next round of throwing all my gold down a pit so that the RNG god will grant me that last cover I need.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

GLOSS posted:

The problem with this is you can still buy lockboxes for any of the lockbox heroes, and I'm pretty sure that's the only way they'll ever be available. If they ever made them available by CP I would be absolutely shocked when they have a fantastic way to absolutely bleed you dry otherwise...

Yeah, that's my reasoning. I wouldn't even bother with lockboxes at all if I had the alternative of waiting like a year to pay 500 CP for the hero instead. For now, I don't have much reason to think they'll ever be made available that way.

What I COULD see, however, is one day making comic book covers from really old lockboxes purchaseable for 60 gold or so. I'm sure many people would shell out just to save themselves the hassle.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Producer's Notes posted:

We know everyone has been waiting a long time for Season 2, and we ask that you be patient for just a little longer. Because of the size of this patch, the code is very complicated and we really have to make sure it’s all working correctly before we let everyone play. In the end, we know the gameplay is really fun, and we think it will be worth the wait. We don’t have any more planned releases before Season 2, so hang tight and you’ll be playing before you know it.

So it's not ready yet. :geno:

I get the marketing reasons for putting all of those small quality-of-life updates into one huge chunk, but I really wish they just released them bit by bit instead. At least they're claiming to actually be doing bug testing for this, I guess.

Fred is on fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 30, 2013

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
It's not working on Playdom just yet. Ah, well. Hopefully won't take long.

Edit: Okay, it's rolled in. Eeeeeeugh, the second task on the bar is to get a distress call and I've already collected mine. Well, see you tomorrow, game.

Fred is on fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 2, 2013

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
Incursions have been a cathartic experience for me. The last PvP season mostly consisted of fighting dudes with twice my armory bonus and squeezing by in fifteen-minute battles using Rescue and Omega Sentinel. Here, you have the ability to counter-pick when you see your opponent's heroes, as well as drop Mystical Munitions and Lost Scrolls left and right. Plus, the enemy's stats aren't grossly overinflated for whatever reason (though you guys seem to report otherwise...?)

Also, I saw a SHIELD Slugger in one of the reward pools. Kind of cool that they'd offer old PvP reward items like this. Chance to get them must be tiny, though.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
One interesting thing with the new mission structure is that I no longer feel compelled to do every single battle and three-bird every boss. It's pretty neat. (Now watch as some of the later tasks demand an astronomically high total score or something, rendering the overhaul completely redundant...)

I'm also starting to notice that with all the deploys and Heroic Battles the chapter asks of you, Iron Fist's costume is going to be expensive as hell. I guess it's better to think of it as a cool bonus than an actual goal, because Cable and Deadpool alone make the price tag pretty ridiculous. At least CP is in somewhat more plentiful supply than before, what with Heroic Battle reward roulettes, the several tasks that reward you with 1 CP and the chapter completion rewards.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Bugs were to be expected, but at least the error message is funny.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
Oh, hey, Rescue's Panacea Response only has a 70% chance to trigger now. Don't know if that's new, or if that was part of the previous nerf package and I only just noticed.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
Another interesting PvP adjustment: Qualifying for a league now requires you to either reach a threshold in either PvP rating (1550 for Adamantium) OR top percentage (0.5% for Adamantium). Here's hoping this change'll cause the rewards system to glitch the gently caress out again at the end of the season. :v:

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

twistedmentat posted:

And god i hate Omega and Rescue teams; i feel like I don't get to do anything because they keep going and going and going.

It's what I'm running, but in my defense I was doing it before it was cool. I sort of fell over backwards into a top-tier team, since both were the only halfway decent characters I had soon after I started playing, and I've been using them ever since.

I'm considering putting a crummy team on defense for the first week or two, so my rating goes down and I don't rocket into spendtard tier too soon. Any reason that could be a bad idea?

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

sakeyake posted:

Spendtards are extremely lazy on offense and expect defenses alone to rank them up, so a lot of them hover around the middle ranks (1100-1300) until the last week. Sometimes it's better to get ahead of them early and never look back. Your mileage may vary, but that's been my experience at 300 where full armories of 2g items are considered average and the big spenders fill up with 64g items.

Wow. I'm still "only" at 125, so things still seem reasonable enough most of the time. I went and bought the last inventory slot to make things less aggravating.

I don't care that much about annoying teams (maybe because I'm using one :v:) or overpowerred agent items, so much as the fact that 90% of the time, PvP battles seem to boil down to who has the biggest inventory bonus. Their numbers were bigger than your numbers, now watch them one-shot your characters one by one. Strategy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

I hate hate hate that the maximum amount of lockboxes you can get for winning PvP is 5 a day, there's literally no incentive to do any more than that.

Yeah, the fact that you can (slowly, but still) farm them in Spec Ops at least makes the experience less miserable. For PvP lockboxes, all you can do is get your daily five and cross your fingers.

• Locked thread