Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

Jagermonster posted:

Rescue is way too overpowered right now. Her magnetic defensive bullshit should not work against stealthy attacks, but it does and I can't ever crit or kill the biotch thanks to her self heal and panacea response too.

If you're not using something for buff removal she'll eat your lunch. If you are, she becomes a worthless lump of minor utility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

Opopanax posted:

So is there officially no way to get unstoppable boxes without buying them for gold now?

There's the email we got at the start of that PVP season with 5 free boxes. It can be clicked every few weeks, so if you're determined to get him for free you can get about 10 boxes per month from that.

sakeyake fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 20, 2013

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

And I really am pissed at how Shadowcat is for me vs how she is is on another team. She stays phased for 4 turns when the AI uses her, she one shots full health guys with 30k white damage with her basic attack, and is generally unbeatable. When I use her, she unphases at the drop of a hat, and does a tenth as much damage as the AI is.

You know Phased Attack doesn't actually mean it's an attack she can do while phased, right? The only thing she can do while phased is Call Lockheed. Everything else knocks her into Recently Phased. The AI will always use Call Lockheed on turn 1 to stay phased and Sneak Attack on turn 2 for a big damage boost and Recently Phased status. Players should do the same.

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Does Shatterstar ever become good? Or is he just a middling scrapper? I'm finding that with more isos and higher levels on Wonderman, he's actually fairly useful.

I really like his ability to exploit shields/protect. It makes Rescue using her defensive abilities a whole lot less annoying when you know Shatterstar is most likely going to straight up murder her on his next turn. He also makes short work of Iron Patriot most of the time.

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

Inf Shadowcat + Scrapper World War Hulk is ridiculously good in PVP right now if you have a decent +attack bonus. The only match I've lost so far since the patch was just horrible luck where I was stunned and/or debuffed constantly for 3 turns.

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

So if anyone went with the Sorcerous Sceptre/Sinister Sceptre combo, the Shepherd's staff fits in pretty nicely. Being phased is the perfect situation to heal everyone and skip your next turn.

Throw in the balogna scroll and you've got more synergy than most Spec Ops sets.

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

Did anyone not get him? I got him in Vibranium, which makes up for the fact that I dropped 350 points in a few hours.

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

Eddain posted:

Can multiple people kill the same group boss like with Ultron? Like if my Blackheart already died, if I don't collect my 10 boxes will other people get a chance to deal the killing blow for more boxes?

I think so. I've seen a few at 1-3% health, which probably means he was killed a few times already without the reward being collected. I think it's still the general policy to hold back on collecting the reward with your agent's picture for about 24 hours so everyone gets a crack at him.

edit: Unless it's for Spec Ops task 22, then all bets are off and gentlemen's agreements be damned.

sakeyake fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 17, 2013

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

JohnnyCanuck posted:

They can be later, it just means you're doing a lot of damage to him in the first turn.

Question: I have 53 command points, Iron Man, Widow, Hawkeye, Iron Fist, She-Hulk, and War Machine (All at level 6-7). Should I keep on saving until I can afford a 90-point hero (thinking Hulk), or should I recruit a few more now? Also, who's best for me to grab?

What I always suggest is to grab Storm and grind the hell out of epic Magneto in 4-4. 4-4 is tough though, so don't exit the mission to get your star total. Just reset it after collecting your epic reward.

Once you start farming, sit on the CP. Your goal should be to recruit the heroes needed for the first Spec Ops you have a reasonable chance of completing and stay on top of recruiting the heroes for them from that point on. It will save you a lot of CP and waiting in the long run.

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

Has anyone gotten any limited items from Demonic lockboxes? I've gotten a ton of CP but the rest has all been consumables, junk weapons, and Reactive ISOs. They're still worth opening for the CP, but fighting Blackheart 20 times every few days would be a lot less annoying if I felt like I had a chance at something really good.

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

Fred is on posted:

I'm considering putting a crummy team on defense for the first week or two, so my rating goes down and I don't rocket into spendtard tier too soon. Any reason that could be a bad idea?

Spendtards are extremely lazy on offense and expect defenses alone to rank them up, so a lot of them hover around the middle ranks (1100-1300) until the last week. Sometimes it's better to get ahead of them early and never look back. Your mileage may vary, but that's been my experience at 300 where full armories of 2g items are considered average and the big spenders fill up with 64g items.

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Though someone explain how Magneto can do his pre attack attack on him, without magnetized on Havok?

Someone at Playdom hates you and programs weird bad things to happen only to you. It's the only possible explanation. You always have crazy buggy things happen to you that don't happen to anyone else.

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

I guess they have decided not to give ISOs via ally visits. That sucks, that means you can only be guaranteed 50 a day, that gave you a chance to get 100.

The sad thing is I doubt Playdom even intended to take them away. They just removed them when people started complaining about still getting them after the last Spec Ops ended. It's amazing how non-automated this stuff is for PD after 12 Spec Ops. Can't they just write some simple maintenance scripts?

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

CDW posted:

Heads up, she *also* costs 90cp after you finish, according to data mining.

For a second I let myself believe jumping through these hoops must mean she's good, then I remembered Thundra was 90 CP.

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

The Stropped Razor from 2-1-4 is pretty great. Phoenix is so common in my tier right now there's almost no downside to using up a slot for Brutal Strike/Fatal Blow. Even against non-resurrection teams, 30% is a pretty forgiving window for Fatal Blow.

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

Syrinxx posted:

I don't think despair is a particularly good solution because it relies on the debuff not being removed by (a) Bologna (b) Status Reset (c) Rescue's Passive (d) various other things like Emma's passive and buff. Also it lets her bomb your team immediately with Phoenix Fire.

The Phoenix Fire thing is a total deal breaker for Despair. It makes the AoE version worse than single target.

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

Don't give Squirrel Girl any Chaotic isos or any with +evasion. They constantly proc and make her miss her level 6 nut toss thing.

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

I only just noticed there is a speed up text button in the controls, but its still not fast enough. Annoucements need ot happen all at once, and yea, there needs to be a forfit button.

Oh man, the Deadpool/Cable team up is being a bitch. Cable runs out of stamina, but keeps dieing because T-O virus hurts him as long as he's in it.

I usually start by punching the 3rd guy with Aksani Arts to save stamina, then I keep shooting Deadpool with Plasma Rifle and let him protect me. By the time I go T-O he's usually dead and I can finish the fight off with 1 or 2 Psionic Spikes. Avoid Bodyslide and Temporal Shift early on. You don't want to run out of stamina too fast, boost Deadpool's regen too high, or invite counter attacks.

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

Level 300 is getting ridiculous. Pretty much everyone has fully gold-bought armories from rating 800 and up and everyone uses Phoenix + (P5 Cyclops|P5 Emma|Rescue|Quicksilver) with Neurotrope and bologna scroll. Never level. Just stop wherever you are and sandbag forever.

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

commish posted:

I'm around level 240 and honestly, it's not that hard to win if you just pay attention to the meta and play enough. I do not have an armory full of gold items (in fact, nearly everyone I fight has a bigger armory than me), but this season, just using Cyclops and Phoenix was nearly an auto-win on offense. The key is to really play enough to get and maintain a high enough rating.

That seemed truer this time around actually. I couldn't gain any ground with 150 attacks. People with 400+ attacks seemed to be doing well. Fights were just too slow and boring in this meta to bother though. I was using Phoenix + Iron Fist to be basically unkillable so it was slower than teams I've used in the past. Maybe next time I'll just use a blitz team, accept the higher loss ratio, and blow through matches as fast as possible.

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

Kowak posted:

I think it`s worth noting what level you`re at since it seems like it makes a significant difference to where you finish.

Level 300
263 attacks, 653 wins, 701 losses, 705 rating

It may just a luck-based system that randomly screws certain people over based on arbitrary match-making factors. You got attacked way more than I did.

Level 300
170 attacks, 175 wins, 166 losses, 825 rating

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

Well, that was surprising. I was one of those people who lost the initial 440 unstable ISOs without getting an email reimbursement. I opened a ticket and got a canned reply after about 5 days telling me to check my spam filters, blahblah. Replied back again saying I never got an email and it wasn't caught by any spam filter. 2 days later I get this:

quote:

Dear Agent,

We are sorry to hear that you have been having trouble in Marvel: Avengers Alliance. To assist you with these issues, we have taken the following actions:

Added 440 Unstable ISO-8 to your account, you will see this change the next time you log in.

We apologize for any setback this situation may have caused and hope that these actions help ease the frustration you have encountered.

Thank you for playing,

Playdom Game Services Department

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

I have 250 cps just waiting to get spent on Bishop.

The biggest issues I have with pvp I find though, is my inability to hit anyone about half the time (and always when its critical to hit them it seems) and 3 protect teams. Unless you have someone who ignores protect, its a crap shoot to who you're going to hit. You'd think there would be some pattern, but I've just focused on rescue with omega and a protect agent (who clearly hasn't been updated since they removed the ability to protect while phased) and there's a 50/50 chance of them protecting each time i attack Rescue.

As for people dodging, I got sick of it and took Hawkeye a few times, and they still dodged him like crazy, and one of the hawkeyes abilities is that he pretty much always hits, but seeing him rapid fire 5 times and not get a single hit makes me wonder.

I would take some of that CP and invest in alternate Scrapper outfits for a few leveled heroes. Your +accuracy bonus should be high enough in PVP that you never miss and crit more often than not. You'll probably give up a lot of +evasion doing this and get completely clobbered in the first round every once in a while, but quick losses are better than slow losses.

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

Ares doesn't have any animations that take as much time as GET BACK IN THE FIGHT, and that's good enough for me.

Rogue seems to be the new obnoxious defensive hero. Her constant countering wastes so much time. Also you'll think you're doing pretty well and then she'll suddenly pull off a Drain Essence instakill.

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

Custom Goblin Glider from 7-3 basically slaughters Rogue. Pair it with Thane or psychic/stealth heroes on offense and your life will suddenly get a lot easier.

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Well, no Watcher for me. Unless I want to do surveys to get gold and try the spin again. gently caress you, Playdom.

Never do re-spins unless you're willing to spend about $40 for a 50/50 chance at getting something. It's the biggest scam in the game.

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

JohnnySavs posted:

Attack with Agent, enemy Rogue counters, counters again due to enemy Ares, then gets her turn and attacks, enemy Ares does a follow-up to her attack. My Ares attacks, same deal, I have a 5% Agent and a 45% Electra, enemy team at 90-100%.

Is there some item that pre-emptively blocks counter/follow-up attacks passively? Cause man PVP is just SO MUCH FUN RIGHT NOW.

I'm using a Blaster suit with Warbringer Axe/Dragon's Foot/Guardian of Attilan/Protector of Attilan + World War Hulk and Blue Quicksilver.

The main point is to get 2 stacks of Warbound on Quicksilver so that he can stealthfully slap the poo poo out of Rogue before she can do anything, then Ares inevitably shoots him with his pistol for another counter attack. By the time the other team does any damage they're almost dead and the rest is mop up. If Rogue manages to leach herself to full, my agent finishes her off with protect/counter.

Rescue, Cyclops, and Elektra are horrible match-ups for me, but 90% of people are using Rogue/Ares on defense. It's easy to play the odds right now.

sakeyake fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 15, 2013

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

Mister Chompers posted:

So this could end up being interesting...

http://forum.playdom.com/showthread.php?357875-Developer-s-Notes-on-Empowered-ISO-8&p=3796523

Not looking forward to training all these heroes to level 13, and a bit worried the extra slot on base costumes might be better than actually getting a costume in some cases, but other than that sounds like a nice change.

And you guys talking about trenchcoats, looks like we need all new ones that actually have a slot anyways.

I like the fact that they're hovering over a universal one that gives you the boss-only Relentless passive for 75,000 silver. I can't imagine what a gold one could have that I'd want more than that. Hopefully this system is a meta killer and everything will be a bit more random now. You'll never know if your opponent will be immune to your bugged bullshit.

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

Get ready for a ridiculous number of defensive PVP losses in the next few days. The Synthetic Cube makes it almost impossible to lose on offense. People are going to start burning through challenges like crazy as soon as they finish it.

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

The Question IRL posted:

And given that they've said they are changing how the armoury bonus works in the next season, I predict they are going to limit the amount you get from items and make the bonuses gained from having high level heroes more important.

That seems like a weird tweak considering they've already gone in the opposite direction a few months ago when the armory bonus wasn't important enough at higher levels. I hope you're right though.

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

I really want the cube, but I don't want to shell out 40 gold for it (i finally got a rift essence).

People who don't get this thing are going to regret it, at least for a season or two. The 20% avoidance passive alone makes it worth using, but on top of that it has 4 separate active abilities better than anything you could put in a slot.

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

DoctorDelaware posted:

I had a "fun" one this morning. Infiltrator Agent (with the "take less melee damage" suit) with Synthetic Cube, Rayshield Generator, Scroll of Angolob, and...something else. Teamed with Rescue and Angel. SO MANY DODGES. For added fun, they all had health of around 60,000.

I'm not entirely sure how that team wins, except maybe to make the attacker quit out of frustration. Took me about twenty minutes to beat that fucker (thank you, Omega Sentinel.)

Then, a bit later, I got to fight him two more times.

If you're near 300 I'm guessing that's "Oliveira Serra" and the other item is a Bio-metric ID card. I hate that team. I just have Ares hit him with Modern Warfare whenever possible to kill his healing and focus on his agent with Elektra. That setup is just built to survive long enough to hit you with Improbability Field and Atom Smasher every other turn. Luckily you can just time usage of your cube to counter everything he does with his cube.

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

E the Shaggy posted:

Anybody using the Vigilante toolkit? Looks pretty good.

I use it on offense for the added evades and situational attacks, but it's terrible on defense if you have a cube. It gives the AI too many extra attack options that aren't the cube.

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

Finished at 1547 thanks to a cluster of defenses at the end. Playdom has frustration down to a science!

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

Kowak posted:

You didn't get adamantium? I see 1547 and adamantium in my allies list.

Nope, 1550 was the cutoff. I was Adamantium up until the last 30 seconds I think. It might just be slow to update the lists.

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

Sefer posted:

Which means scrappers should be powerful, unless they add more armor with that slot before the next season.

Deadpool was my favorite hero this season. His level 2 completely shuts down Rogue, his level 9 1-shots anyone after Improbability Field, he can clear his own debuffs, and he's obnoxiously hard to kill with both his unique empowered ISOs. I'm really looking forward to everyone wearing Inf armor next season.

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

You actually know what Deadpool does? Can you, like, explain it?

He gets buffs for using his abilities that have no purpose other than unlocking extra effects for his other abilities. If you use his powers in order his level 2 clears and prevents buffs on an enemy, his level 6 acts like a single target Improbability Field from hell, and his level 9 exploits every negative status effect for massive damage.

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

commish posted:

Scrappers will *never* be powerful because they buff they give to bruisers is just decimating.

Except this season most people used Ares as their only Bruiser, and his attack power doesn't really scale well. I actually liked when he started off matches by shooting my Deadpool because he'd give him 3x regen and get counter-attacked with a defense-ignoring 2x bleed slash. Sometimes my Ares would join in for the 3rd bleed stack + hemorrhage and their Ares would be 75% dead before he could do anything.

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

dylan14 posted:

What is the best alt costume for Thor ?

Mighty Thor for general use, Modern if you plan on matches being over in the first round or you really want him as a blaster for bonus purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

Weird, the new PVP season won't trigger for me for some reason. Don't forget to start research on your next PVP page if you're over level 150.

• Locked thread