Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

swickles posted:

I know the burden of proof in a civil suit is lower, but if he is convicted criminally of the murders does the civil suit automatically go to the plaintiff? Like can they just say he was found guilty criminally and bam that's it, or do they have to do the whole trial over again?

It's pretty much "bam that's it" in the civil suit if he's convicted in the criminal case. You'd basically file a complaint along with a motion for summary judgment based on collateral estoppel (the "you already lost this") doctrine.

Specific case from Massachusetts:

quote:

We hold, therefore, that a party to a civil action against a former criminal defendant may invoke the doctrine of collateral estoppel to preclude the criminal defendant from relitigating an issue decided in the criminal prosecution.
http://masscases.com/cases/sjc/395/395mass737.html

ulmont fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

shiksa posted:

What poster would Hernandez cover a hole in the cell wall with?
Ham

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

shiksa posted:

What poster would Hernandez cover a hole in the cell wall with? I'd like to think Fergie.

Probably him digging the hole he's covering

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Arctic Baldwin posted:

hahahah

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I was going to say The Shawshank Redemption movie poster but that's better

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Hernandez is used to beating up on defenseless opponents.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Arctic Baldwin posted:

Little thought bubble above his head in the photo "This is totally gonna work"

SgtSanity
Apr 25, 2005
Excuse me

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Little thought bubble above his head in the photo "This is totally gonna work"

"They can't charge a person and a poster for the same crime."

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

SgtSanity posted:

:thurman:

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

SgtSanity posted:

-chichevache

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles

shiksa posted:

What poster would Hernandez cover a hole in the cell wall with? I'd like to think Fergie.

Definitely a generic Scarface one or praying hands with "ONLY GOD CAN JUDGE ME".

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
http://www.empiresports.co/former-nfl-star-aaron-hernandez-escapes-prison-and-breaks-in-to-tom-bradys-home

I really wanted this to be real :v:

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Posted this in the N/V thread because I overlooked this one by CTRL+F'ing Aaron and not Hernandez, but two of Aaron Hernandez's associates got charged with murder.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/2014/04/11/aaron-hernandez-associates-charged-with-murder/y9FwxeEfiFKaJBnPmyPfML/story.html

quote:

Two associates of former New England Patriots star Aaron Hernandez have been indicted for murder, the Bristol district attorney’s office announced this afternoon.

Carlos Ortiz and Ernest Wallace, both of Bristol, Conn., face charges in the June 2013 slaying of Odin Lloyd of Boston in North Attleborough.

A Bristol County grand jury returned the indictments late this afternoon, prosecutors said.

The men are to be arraigned in Fall River. No date has been set, prosecutors said in a statement.

They said they would have no further information until the defendants’ arraignment.

In a case that has riveted the public, Hernandez already faces a murder charge in the slaying of Lloyd, 27, of Dorchester, who was found dead in an industrial park near Hernandez’s spacious North Attleborough home.

Ortiz and Wallace had also previously been charged as accessories after the fact of murder in the June 17, 2013 slaying.

Prosecutors have said previously that Hernandez, Ortiz, and Wallace allegedly picked up Lloyd at his Dorchester home and drove him to the industrial park, where he was shot several times in an execution.

Hernandez is also being investigated for a possible role in a July 2012 double murder in Boston’s South End. But he has not been charged in that case.

The All-Pro tight end’s story has generated headlines, presenting the stunning case of a wealthy young NFL star allegedly squandering his bright future through one, or possibly more, acts of deadly violence.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Well at least they keep their rep on the streets by not snitching?

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.

davecrazy posted:

The streets that they will never walk again will respect their heart, fortitude and tenacity. Coach will really appreciate that ability to go the extra mile. That'll make you starter on the Prison football team. Then they can reenact The Longest yard. But he gets shot. Just to make sure.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

davecrazy posted:

Nah Ortiz snitched, he just snitched in the dumbest way possible by leading the cops to a bunch of evidence but then telling a bullshit story that kept changing ensuring he wouldn't be useful as a witness.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

As the World Herns

TMZ posted:

Aaron Hernandez is being investigated for allegedly threatening to shoot and kill a guard at Bristol County Jail late last year, though one of the NFL star's fellow inmates says it just ain't true, TMZ Sports has learned.

We know investigators recently met with an ex-inmate who was locked up near Hernandez at BCJ to discuss a 2013 incident between the former New England Patriots tight end and a correctional officer.

During the questioning ... investigators asked if Hernandez had threatened to kill the guard -- who blew the whistle on Aaron when he was trying to deviously score extra food inside the joint.

(Note -- The ex-inmate told investigators Aaron was noticeably losing weight in jail and would run various schemes to get extra food, like putting an insect on a half eaten meal and then complain to officials so he could get a fresh serving. But the ex-inmate claimed Aaron pulled his schemes "one too many times" which pissed off the officers, who put an end to the extra food.)

Among the questions investigators asked the ex-inmate -- did Aaron ever say anything to the effect of, when he gets out of jail, he's going to "kill the guard and shoot his family."

They also want to know if Aaron ever made a noise like a "machine gun round" to the guard.

The ex-inmate was adamant Hernandez NEVER threatened the guard ... though he did claim Aaron called the guy a "bitch" during the heated exchange.

Hernandez was "written up" over the incident.

We placed multiple calls to Bristol County Jail officials to find out where things stand with the investigation -- so far, no word back.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Quest For Glory II posted:

As the World Herns

I guess he is going to need a year on the practice squad to bulk up before he can start for the RaidersNiners.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Quest For Glory II posted:

As the World Herns
Haha for some reason the mental image of a former millionaire rock star being forced to put bugs on sandwich in order to get an extra serving is hilarious to me.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I hope he actually said RAT-A-TAT-TAT like a child from the 40s.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Haha for some reason the mental image of a former millionaire rock star being forced to put bugs on sandwich in order to get an extra serving is hilarious to me.
It's like Trading Places, but the millionaires had Hernandez go down for murder charges instead of switch places with a homeless dude.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
Why does anyone read TMZ?

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Because they're frequently right

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Why doesn't he just stock up on mack packs at the commissary. Protein loading, my dude

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
hernandez is an idiot shithead but prison guards might be the absolute worst of the worst. id probably believe that he actually didnt threaten to murder someone for once

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

Why does anyone read TMZ?
To see the massive watermarks they put up over every picture they publish.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Anaranjado posted:

Because they're frequently right

Yea when they aren't blatantly making poo poo up.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Spoeank posted:

Yea when they aren't blatantly making poo poo up.

As opposed to most sports writers, who exclusively make poo poo up.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 6m
Grand jury indicted Aaron Hernandez today on charges of assault and battery, and threats to do bodily harm.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/461979218713530369

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

gohuskies posted:

Grand jury indicted Aaron Hernandez today on charges of assault and battery, and threats to do bodily harm.

Aaron Hernandez is not the brightest guy.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

gohuskies posted:

Thanks for linking to Schefter's twittercities page.

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

His background pic makes it look like he's running for Congress.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/466951530105819136

Indicted on an additional double homicide.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Adrien Broner on twitter posted:

@SportsCenter @ABC he should've played basketball, this nigga a shooter

I must have bad taste in humor, because I found this hilarious and dumb.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
What a loving piece of poo poo. How the hell did no one know what he was doing?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

You can't blame anyone but Hernandez on this. He was obviously a brilliant liar / manipulator to pull the wool over so many people's eyes and he's finally getting what has been coming to him for so long. I'd love to laugh at the Patriots for this but he would have fooled any franchise.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Hope he rots. I wonder how many other people he may have killed over the years. Those Florida :tinfoil: rumors feel more realistic every day.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mike Pouncey will wear two Free Hernandez hats simultaneously

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

NC-17 posted:

What a loving piece of poo poo. How the hell did no one know what he was doing?

Talent overrides suspicion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spanky69
Nov 5, 2004
I THINK sba HAS LOST HIS MIND. WOOOOOO DOGGIES PUPPIES KITTENS CRAP TURDS, love sba
Fun Shoe

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Talent overrides suspicion.

Well at least prison overrides talent in this case

• Locked thread